Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, He said during cross examination the kidnappers told him that she had said some blasphemous things the day before at a guest house so they kidnapped them the next day.

JB also said he didn't blame his wife for the 5 years of captivity, how gracious of him EYE ROLL again.

Now, if I'm not mistaken he also said, in one of the post release interviews, JB said that they were kidnapped because she was heavily pregnant.

Here are some quotes regarding this

"Former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle says his abductors told him that Caitlan Coleman’s loud blasphemy in a Kabul guesthouse led to their kidnapping one day later.

Boyle told court that, during their stay in a Kabul guesthouse in October 2012, Coleman had a fit during which she said allegedly blasphemous things “quite loudly and quite dramatically.”

"I was not very angry at her over it,” he testified. “I recognized that it was not intentional on her part, and she had no ill intent and certainly didn’t deserve what happened as a result. “

Boyle said he was angry at himself for overestimating Coleman’s ability to control her emotional outbursts while in Afghanistan. He also conceded he had underestimated the danger to which they’d be exposed in the war-torn country."

Joshua Boyle testifies he doesn't blame wife for their capture in Afghanistan
In other interviews, Joshua stated they were kidnapped in Afghanistan to be traded for American prisoners or money. And now his story has changed. Now it's all Caitlyn's fault.

Lock him up!

The prosecutor claimed that Boyle hated her, alleging he once said he would kill her if not for his religion – a claim Boyle denied.
“I’ve never hated her,” he said.
Prosecutors accuse Joshua Boyle of lying in domestic abuse case – True North News

Boyle didn’t deny threatening to kill Caitlyn. He only denied hating her.

Article 1 Prosecutors accuse Joshua Boyle of lying in domestic abuse case – True North News

Article 2 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/caitlan-coleman-joshua-boyle-custody-battle-1.4811965

Also in the article they report on JB's continued claim that she is a bad parent, a neglectful and abusive mother
During his testimony JB kept claiming that she was a bad parent. It is apparent it is part of the JB's, and his Defense team , main argument against her along with saying she has a mental illness and has "fits" the term he used.
Has any evidence been submitted to support this claim that she is a bad parent, other that JB's testimony?

So let me get JB's testimony about her being a bad parent straight,
JB has stated to the judge that, lets not forget, she was kidnapped and held hostage by terrorists for 5 years, during the time he claims she was a bad parent. She,
1) gave birth 3 times in captivity, 2) was physically abused, 3) tortured, 4) verbally abused 4) raped and 5) impregnated 3 more times during her captivity (miscarried one of them) by her husband only, and one of JB's main arguments is that she was a bad parent, during her horrific time as a captive of terrorists? of which he lays blame on her for them being kidnapped in the first place.

Though he is claiming Caitlan is a bad parent, an Ontario Family Law court Judge awarded her temporary sole custody of the children with the right to move with the children back to the US and stated that ,other than JB's testimony, no other evidence was received by the court that she had a mental health issue that would affect her parenting.

Sorry for rambling on...

And even if she were a bad parent (which I doubt), is that not completely irrelevant as a defense to assault?

I would think so, but I did wonder if it could be used in the divorce and child custody case in Family Court?
IMO, his self-aggrandizing, domineering, narcissistic traits were shining thru during his testimony.

I would think so, but I did wonder if it could be used in the divorce and child custody case in Family Court?
Possibly he's confused about which court he's in?

More seriously, I think he believes he'll be acquitted of these charges and sees this as laying the foundation for his appearance in Family Court, where, he is convinced, he'll gain full custody, utterly crushing the ex-wife who dared to stand up to him.

According to the Ottawa Court House docket the trial continues on Monday Sept 30 at 10am
This may be the closing arguments as mentioned almost 2 weeks ago when JB finished testifying.

While we wait for closing arguments, some newly released info about the Boyle family visit with PM Trudeau (a visit initiated or requested by Joshua Boyle)

Joshua Boyle’s Trudeau visit: What are these internal memos trying to hide? Sept 24, 2019

Joshua Boyle’s Trudeau visit: What are these internal memos trying to hide?

New access to information documents were just released to the public about Joshua Boyle's visit to the Prime Minister's Office on December 18, 2017.

32 pages of secret briefing documents were released as part of the Federal Government’s proactive disclosure of completed access to information requests. The information is heavily redacted — however, the redactions themselves tell a story.

In the documents, prepared by Trudeau's former national security advisor, Daniel Jean, for former Chief Clerk of the Privy Council, Michael Wernick, Jean notes Boyle’s use of creative storytelling in his accounts of the rescue, and references the public controversy that still swirls around why the Boyles were in Afghanistan in the first place.
---------------------------------

This is the link to the 32 page Memorandum to the PM in regards to the potential visit with the Boyle Family which is heavily redacted to, I will guess, almost 80%

Boyle Atip Sep 24

Last edited:
Lawyers were finishing re-examining witnesses today.

Coleman denies trying to barter husband Boyle to get chocolate in captivity SEPT 30, 2019

Coleman denies trying to barter husband Boyle to get chocolate in captivity

Coleman told Boyle’s assault trial in Ontario court today there is no truth to his claim she attempted to get the treat in exchange for Boyle’s participation in a mock execution by their Taliban-affiliated captors.

Coleman said today she was hoping the couple would be denied permission to enter Afghanistan, contradicting Boyle’s testimony earlier in the trial they were both keen to visit the strife-torn country.

Judy Trinh@JudyTrinhCBC

Defense lawyer Lawrence Greenspon says his client Joshua Boyle is not easy to like. He’s arrogant and an unconventional thinker but “he is a person who tells the truth”
2:05 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Greenspon says: There is no eyewitness testimony, no corroborating evidence for the 19 charges against Joshua Boyle. “All the evidence rise and falls with the testimony of Ms. Coleman”
2:07 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Defense: Ms Coleman ‘s testimony is unreliable and fails to carry the Crown’s burden of beyond a reasonable doubt
2:08 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Judy Trinh@JudyTrinhCBC Sept 30, 2019 Tweeting from the Ottawa Court House

Defense: Boyle’s testimony has strayed beyond the questions asked. He has made numerous submissions against his own interests because he is telling the truth
2:11 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Joshua Boyle is in the courtroom sitting beside his parents. He is taking copious notes, wearing a brown shirt and a red sweater vest.
2:16 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Greenspon characterizes Boyle as “non conventional”. When asked by Crown why he didn’t leave Coleman after their return to Canada - said that he didn’t want his children to equate freedom with losing a parent. Defense says that has “ring of truth”
2:20 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Defense: Crown’s submission that Boyle denied Coleman access to her family and controlled her was refuted by Boyle’s “strong denial” when he said “Nobody controls Caitlan Coleman” Defense says crown wasn’t able to show anything contrary to that
2:27 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Defense LwyrGreenspon says Boyle acknowledges it was risky taking her to Afghanistan. Agrees that their relationship deteriorated after abduction and admits he struck her once in captivity to stop her from overdosing on pills. Boyle said: “I struck her & it troubled me greatly”
2:32 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Defense says while in Ottawa - Boyle admits to offering Coleman Trazadone to help with her panic attack not forced it on her. Boyle denies slapping her across the face, denies biting her hard because he hated her, denies choking her
2:37 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Admits he “half heartedly” swatted her with a broom while in Ottawa. For clarification - Boyle is only on trial for allegations of abusing Coleman while they were in Ottawa.
2:39 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Defense says Coleman running away on Dec 30 without a coat, without shoes is “irrational” Greenspon suggest it’s indicative of her mental state not of her level of fear . Greenspon says Boyle truly believed she was suicidal and Crown didn’t show otherwise
2:46 PM · Sep 30, 2019

On issue of list of rules and chastisement.Greenspon says Boyle didn’t want to chastise (spank) his wife but that Coleman asked for it because she had mistreated the children. Greenspon reiterates Boyle didn’t chastise her for failing to provide him sex twice a day
2:55 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Judy Trinh@JudyTrinhCBC Sept 30,2019

Greenspon argues that Coleman’s testimony is unreliable because she said it was possible she may have “inserted” memories. Also argues Coleman “gratuitously” undermined Boyle’s character on the stand
3:57 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Greenspon questioning Coleman’s character. She testified that her central concern is to make sure thepublicity doesn’t adversely affect her children, yet she spoke to ABC, Washington Post and CBC mid trial.
4:01 PM · Sep 30, 2019

Defense points out that in 2007, she described herself as “maniacally insane” and described that Joshua Boyle was the trigger for her anxiety which involved fits, self harm, babbling . She could not deny that she perceived her anxiety attacks as “volcanoes, monsoons, tornados”
4:05 PM · Sep 30, 2019

That last argument is to counter the charge that Boyle mislead police when he called police to report his wife as suicidal when she fled from their apartment in December 2017 without a coat and in sock feet
4:08 PM · Sep 30, 2019

canadian-joshua-boyle-taliban-hostage-trial-closing Sept 30, 2019

Lawyers for former Taliban hostage say he’s ‘not easy to like’ but didn’t abuse wife
In closing arguments, Joshua Boyle’s defence attempted to smooth out the damaging parts of his testimony

Joshua Boyle’s legal team suggested on Monday that, while their client could be frustrating “to the point of infuriating”, these personal deficiencies should not be construed as guilt.

“He is not easy to like. He is not a conventional … by society’s so-called ‘norms’,” said lawyer Lawrence Greenspon. “But [Boyle] is a person who tells the truth, even if it’s not to his own advantage.”

Caitlan Coleman, and her mother Linda, participated in the proceedings through video link at the Canadian embassy in Washington DC.

During closing arguments on Monday, Greenspon highlighted parts of Boyle’s testimony which he admitted were damaging for the accused.

Boyle admitted to criticizing his wife, fighting often, and striking her once while the two were in captivity, said Greenspon.

“He told the truth … where adopting a different path would have been much simpler,” he said.

“There is no eyewitness or physical evidence to corroborate any of the 19 charges [against Boyle],” said Greenspon, suggesting the American had provided testimony that had only “mild corroboration”.

Under examination by the crown, Coleman described feelings of inadequacy both in captivity and while the couple lived in Ottawa.

“I struggled with shame … he was telling me I wasn’t a good enough wife. I felt like I couldn’t possibly be the person he’s always demanding,” said.

The prosecution will rest its case in the coming days. Boyle has opted for the trial to be overseen by a judge only.

Defence calls Joshua Boyle unconventional, unlikeable, truthful Sept 30, 2019

Defence calls Joshua Boyle unconventional, unlikeable, truthful

In launching his closing argument Monday, defence lawyer Lawrence Greenspon painted Boyle as an iconoclast.

“Joshua Boyle is many things,” Greenspon told Judge Peter Doody. “He’s extremely intelligent and makes little effort to hide that, so he comes off as arrogant. He’s meticulous, and therefore argumentative. He can be frustrating to the point of being infuriating. He’s not easy to like.
“He’s not conventional by any means, by society’s so-called norms, but he is a person who tells the truth — even if it is to his own disadvantage.”

There is no independent eyewitness to any of the incidents, Greenspon told court, nor is there physical evidence to corroborate the allegations.
It means, he said, that the entire case will rise or fall on the evidence of Coleman, adding: “Ms. Coleman’s evidence is neither credible nor reliable.”
In her evidence, Greenspon said, Coleman testified those problems gave rise to anxiety attacks, or fits, that could be accompanied by “lapses of reality” and “blackouts.”

Boyle testified that he wasn’t in love with Coleman before their marriage, and did not consider marriage to be a lifelong commitment.

Greenspon called Boyle “courageous” for agreeing to marry Coleman even though he knew she had serious psychological problems that would bring him chaos and pain.

In his testimony, Boyle also told court that he announced to Coleman in late 2013 that he would seek a divorce from her as soon as they were released from captivity.
Coleman said Boyle’s story was only partially true: “Sometimes, Josh would say he wanted to divorce me; at other times, he’d say he wanted to get other wives as well.”

Boyle’s defence team is expected to conclude its final argument Tuesday morning after which the Crown will make submissions.

Closing Arguments Day 2 Oct 1
Judy Trinh@JudyTrinhCBC

Joshua Boyle’s lawyer - Lawrence Greenspon is continuing with his closing arguments this morning. He is going over Caitlan Coleman’s testimony to highlight inconsistencies for Judge Peter Doody. Boyle is on trial for 19 charges.

Joshua Boyle is in a grey suit today. Yesterday he was wearing a red sweater vest/ cardigan with brown pants. He’s in the first row of benches with father and mother to his left.
10:36 AM · Oct 1, 2019

Greenspon focusing on Caitlan Coleman’s mental health to rebut mischief charge that Boyle dialed 911 to report a false call about Coleman being suicidal. Coleman had history of self harm. She had admitted to cutting biting herself in her 20s.
11:01 AM · Oct 1, 2019

Boyle’s second lawyer - Eric Granger now making submissions: “The point of departure between crown and defense is whether or not Mr. Boyle is to be believed “
11:28 AM · Oct 1, 2019

Defense lawyer Eric Granger to judge: Our primary submission is believe Mr.Boyle and that’s the end of it.
11:30 AM · Oct 1, 2019

Eric Granger alerting the judge to stereotyping: The only thing the crown can prove beyond a reasonable doubt is that Boyle is unorthodox and unusual- it would be “dangerous” to judge Mr. Boyle based on what normal people would do.
11:37 AM · Oct 1, 2019

Boyle is also accused of criminal harassment. Coleman testified her ex constantly criticized, cajoled, nagged her. Granger says Boyle should be assessed in context of both just being released from 5 years of captivity. “A degree of tolerance needs to be afforded Mr. Boyle”
12:27 PM · Oct 1, 2019

Granger says Coleman’s perception of Boyle’s behaviour could also be coloured by her experience as a hostage. Both suffered emotional/ physical trauma as captives
12:32 PM · Oct 1, 2019

Crown is beginning it’s concluding arguments in the domestic violence trial of former Afghanistan captive Joshua Boyle. Crown is pointing out contradicting testimony by Boyle
2:43 PM · Oct 1, 2019

IE: On list of rules for Coleman, which included she sleep naked, exercise to lose 750 calories. and ask for “chastisement” Boyle in his testimony in chief said “I drew up the list” Then in x-exam testified “I can’t identify my writing & I don’t have memory of writing this
2:49 PM · Oct 1, 2019

Another example of Boyle’s flip flop testimony, crown says speaks to credibility: In chief testimony - Boyle said he texted Coleman “expect painful biting tonight” Then under cross exam said : “I ‘m not only user of the phone” and “I don’t know if I sent that message.”
2:55 PM · Oct 1, 2019

Crown: Mr. Boyle has trouble providing truthful testimony
3:00 PM · Oct 1, 2019

Crown calls Joshua Boyle’s testimony “ self serving, fictional narrative “ That he controlled Caitlan Coleman and instilled fear in her
3:13 PM · Oct 1, 2019

In closing argument, Crown calls Joshua Boyle a self-interested liar OCT 1, 2109

In closing argument, Crown calls Joshua Boyle a self-interested liar

Former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle presented a fictional, self-serving story from the witness stand that turned him into the victim of his wife’s mental instability and physical abuse, a Crown attorney charged Tuesday.

“Mr. Boyle portrays himself as a paragon of patience and understanding even though he was victimized by Caitlan Coleman,” Neubauer said. “That is essentially his narrative and the Crown contends it’s rooted in fiction, not fact.”

The nature of the relationship between Boyle and Coleman is a critical feature of the case, Neubauer said. And the truth of that relationship, he told court, is that Boyle manipulated, dominated, coerced, controlled and instilled fear in his wife through physical and emotional abuse.

That evidence, he said, was incompatible with common sense and contradicted by other, more reliable evidence.

For instance, Neubauer said, Boyle testified that during a car ride on the night of Dec. 30, 2017 — the night of his arrest — he had a conversation with Lynda Coleman, during which he told her she would have to be more involved in caring for her daughter. Boyle testified that he told his mother-in-law the couple would be taking separate vacations.

In her testimony, however, Lynda Coleman told court Boyle said nothing of the sort as he drove her back to her hotel in downtown Ottawa. She later made notes of the conversation, she said, because it was so strange.

He accused Boyle of being evasive, argumentative and unresponsive as a witness while “attempting to push a narrative that doesn’t conform with the truth.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288