Found Deceased VA - Carl Dennis Alls, 71, went for ride on motorcycle, Christiansburg, 15 Sep 2019

hb2008

Reaction score
Christiansburg man missing since Sunday

Last seen on Sunday, Sept. 15, at 7:30 PM in Christiansburg. Told his wife he's going for a ride on his motorcycle and never came back. Didn't specify a destination.

Description per CPD: 5 foot 8, weighs about 200 pounds. Brown and gray hair, beard and blue eyes. Wearing black shorts and blue shirt. Driving a red 2010 Honda GL1800 with Virginia license plate (NY2) (photo below)

Alls-missing-person.png

Honda-GL1800-Trike.png

No idea where he was going for a ride? Similar case in this area a few months ago... Found him (too late) - had gone off side of road. Praying for good news.
I used to have a long mountain ride to work and every time I saw grass down like a car may have ran off the road I would stop and look. It sounds like they don't have the location nailed down very well. Christiansburg is a very busy place now. I lived there from 1993-1997. Locals had met at Sheetz near Home Depot to search from the last ping but it didn't sound like an official search. It is probably not narrowed down enough to bring in SAR. It would be nice to have or host a search map just to cover all roads. For a mountain ride you could go a lot of places, it is very busy in the town area so that would be hard to have a enjoyable ride. I would have chose riding down towards Jenelle Rd/Ellet Valley/North Fork Road, possibly rode up past Blacksburg to Pandapolous pond area or the National Forest road. There are roads between Hwy 11 and 114 that would be a fun ride and other roads from 114 over to Blacksburg. All of those types of areas should be looked at closely. Time would be running out for an injured person.

I used to have a long mountain ride to work and every time I saw grass down like a car may have ran off the road I would stop and look. It sounds like they don't have the location nailed down very well. Christiansburg is a very busy place now. I lived there from 1993-1997. Locals had met at Sheetz near Home Depot to search from the last ping but it didn't sound like an official search. It is probably not narrowed down enough to bring in SAR. It would be nice to have or host a search map just to cover all roads. For a mountain ride you could go a lot of places, it is very busy in the town area so that would be hard to have a enjoyable ride. I would have chose riding down towards Jenelle Rd/Ellet Valley/North Fork Road, possibly rode up past Blacksburg to Pandapolous pond area or the National Forest road. There are roads between Hwy 11 and 114 that would be a fun ride and other roads from 114 over to Blacksburg. All of those types of areas should be looked at closely. Time would be running out for an injured person.
I am not familiar with the area. Would he be able to return in an hour if he ventured out that way? MOO

Police: Man missing after telling wife he was going for a motorcycle ride Sunday night
Alls told his wife that he would be back in about an hour, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.

I am not familiar with the area. Would he be able to return in an hour if he ventured out that way? MOO

Police: Man missing after telling wife he was going for a motorcycle ride Sunday night
Alls told his wife that he would be back in about an hour, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.
Assuming he was going to be back in an hour, I would think he would plan a 30 min ride each way or 1 hour round trip if making a loop. You can hop from 460 Business to I-81 quickly and go as far southbound as Fort Chiswell and as far northbound as Roanoke and back. If on 460 he could have made it as Bluefield If he was on country roads he may make it in a much smaller area. Usually guys with nice motorcycles aren't going to take them on dirt roads so I would say paved country roads would be great search areas. That is all assuming this was possibly an accident. If he had some medical issue that impacted his thought process, he may have made it wherever his fuel and cash would take him. Any credit or bank card usage would be showing up if he made it much farther.

I made an area of the map that probably has the 1 hr round trip range including roads of interest like Rt8 through Riner to Floyd (Very scenic), 460 towards Narrows and through National Forest (Very Scenic), It stretches out over the I-81 corridor due to faster speeds and greater distance. It's a huge area but that's pretty much as far as he could have made it in that approximate time.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-09-19 144339.jpg
    Annotation 2019-09-19 144339.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 13
Assuming he was going to be back in an hour, I would think he would plan a 30 min ride each way or 1 hour round trip if making a loop. You can hop from 460 Business to I-81 quickly and go as far southbound as Fort Chiswell and as far northbound as Roanoke and back. If on 460 he could have made it as Bluefield If he was on country roads he may make it in a much smaller area. Usually guys with nice motorcycles aren't going to take them on dirt roads so I would say paved country roads would be great search areas. That is all assuming this was possibly an accident. If he had some medical issue that impacted his thought process, he may have made it wherever his fuel and cash would take him. Any credit or bank card usage would be showing up if he made it much farther.

I made an area of the map that probably has the 1 hr round trip range including roads of interest like Rt8 through Riner to Floyd (Very scenic), 460 towards Narrows and through National Forest (Very Scenic), It stretches out over the I-81 corridor due to faster speeds and greater distance. It's a huge area but that's pretty much as far as he could have made it in that approximate time.
Thank you so much! MOO

Following. I lived in Blacksburg and loved the area. There are lots of rolling rills and dense trees and brush in Christiansburg. If he went off the road, it is likely he can't be seen. Hopefully they're doing through searches at all the roads in the area.

Just my two cents.... I wonder if he was known to ride on 81? It's a very, very busy interstate with daily (no kidding) crashes and delays. Hubby and I used to ride, and a road like 81 is the last place we'd choose to go for a fun/relaxing ride. Your country road map/idea is great... Thank you Ardean for doing that.

SEP 20, 2019
Search still on for missing biker | The Southwest Times
[...]

Melissa Demmitt, spokeswoman for Christiansburg Police Department, said authorities are continuing to follow up on tips and conduct searches for 71-year-old Carl Dennis Alls, but so far his whereabouts remain a mystery.

[...]

Demmitt said Alls did not indicate any specific route he intended to take, so searches are being conducted along routes he was known to frequent in the past. Virginia State Police has been asked to assist with aerial searches along those routes in the event there was a wreck that is not visible from land.

Authorities have also been working with Alls’ cellular service provider since he was reported missing in an effort to obtain location information, according to Demmitt.

[...]

Mr Alls was found deceased...

We regret to announce that Carl Dennis “Denny” Alls, 71, of Christiansburg, was found deceased about 90 minutes ago.

Alls had been missing since Sunday, Sept. 15, after leaving his home for a motorcycle ride. A citizen out searching tonight located his bike near the Motor Mile Speedway on Route 11 in Pulaski County – about two miles south of the Sheetz convenience store where he was last seen on security footage on Sunday evening. The crash and exact cause of death are currently under investigation.

We would like to extend our deepest condolences to the Alls family, as well as our sincere thanks to all of those who assisted in the search for Mr. Alls – particularly the citizens who worked tirelessly as volunteers to help bring closure to this tragic incident.

The report left some room for rumors. The Christiansburg Police Department put those rumors to rest. Log In or Sign Up to View

Quote from post:
We've seen a post circulating on social media from "News Break App" claiming that Denny Alls' death was ruled a homicide. That information is incorrect. Mr. Alls' death was ruled accidental. There was nothing to indicate foul play in Mr. Alls' death.

If you see this post, please do not circulate it. We have attempted to contact News Break App to report this error.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back