IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.
... There is so much that is baffling about the Percy murder. If there were footprints in the dew from the murderer leaving the house, why was there none leading up to the house? I was struck by the fact that the killer went down into the water—not only could he ditch the bayonet, but, had the police thought to use tracking dogs, it would have been difficult or likely impossible to track the culprit. That would have been a very smart choice if the killer were from the neighborhood and had not used a car. (Yes, I’m another who believes Thoreson is likely the killer.) Unfortunately, the police didn’t call in tracking dogs for the Percy crime or the attempted break in in the neighborhood the night before....

It is possible that the killer took to the water in an attempt to avoid being tracked - either by dogs, or skilled human trackers. But unless he swam out to a waiting boat, he would not have fooled a good tracking dog by simply walking in the water for several yards - or even several hundred yards.

Unfortunately, as you point out, Tracking Dogs were not used in this case. That really is not too surprising, however, given the era and probably the level of experience of the police force regarding use of tracking dogs. Even today, it is common for a tracking dog to be brought to the scene after it has been walked all over and time has passed.

In a case such as this, rather than being a last hope "after thought" it should be one of the first things on the list to bring in a skilled tracking dog and handler.

A few weeks ago, I had looked up something on Google, ran across the Valerie Percy murder and promptly got submerged in the mystery (so much that I don’t remember what I was checking out first).

I was 12 during the summer/fall of 1966, and well remember the chill horror of the Chicago student nurse murders and then, the murder of Valerie Percy. For those of my age then, I think it was the first time we actually realized that our homes were not the safe havens we thought.

There is so much that is baffling about the Percy murder. If there were footprints in the dew from the murderer leaving the house, why was there none leading up to the house? I was struck by the fact that the killer went down into the water—not only could he ditch the bayonet, but, had the police thought to use tracking dogs, it would have been difficult or likely impossible to track the culprit. That would have been a very smart choice if the killer were from the neighborhood and had not used a car. (Yes, I’m another who believes Thoreson is likely the killer.) Unfortunately, the police didn’t call in tracking dogs for the Percy crime or the attempted break in in the neighborhood the night before.

I do wish there were floor plans available for both floors of the Percy house, as it is so difficult to visualize the path of the killer past the other kids’ bedrooms, or the distances involved.

There are a couple illustrations in this thread and floating around the internet, from newspaper stories back in the day. The home no longer exists, it was torn down several years ago.

percy_11.jpg

Another sketch, not very clear

percy_10.jpg

It was a long, winding path from the back door, across to the front of the house, up the staircase and down the hall to Valerie's room, especially while carrying a glass cutter, flashlight, bayonet, etc. Nothing else was disturbed in the house, so robbery seems an unlikely motive. JMO

Last edited:
I remember this, I lived in Winnetka at the time. I think that there is more to it than that. And I also believe that the crime scene may not have been contained very well. The officers in Kenilworth were not used to a murder crime scene.
Yes the KPD did not know how to handle a murder scene and called in the Chicago Police but the crime scene had not been preserved

The 1966 cold case of Valerie Percy

The 1966 cold case of Valerie Percy: on September 18, 1966, Valerie Percy (21) was murdered in her parental home in Kenilworth, Illinois, by an unknown intruder. Her case remains cold...

... The authorities ruled out that this crime concerned a burglary gone wrong as nothing was stolen. The attack on Valerie was intense and suggests a personal attack. On the left side of her face, she had multiple lacerations and her left eye was closed. Her right eye was partly open. A pool of clotted blood stuck to the right side of the back of her neck. She was disfigured beyond recognition. When Valerie was found all her vital signs were negative.

The cause of death was a fractured skull (left side) and 14 stab wounds. Two stab wounds were in her abdomen and they had penetrated her liver. One stab wound went through her left breast and penetrated her heart. One stab wound in her right breast reached her lung. Another stab wound went through her throat hitting her spinal column. The coroner said that there were several cuts to her face. These were most likely inflicted with a double-edged knife. There were several abrasions like tooth marks on two fingers on her right hand. The weapon used on her skull left triangular impressions.

Valerie Percy’s murderer left five bloody palm prints on the banister and a black leather glove outside the mansion. If properly preserved, the glove should be treated with the M-Vac System for touch DNA. The killer also left footprints at the Percy home leading to the beach. Three days after Valerie’s murder, police found a bayonet in Lake Michigan (see photograph above). In 1966, none of this was connected.

The authorities canvassed the area. Since the family dog didn’t bark or cause any other kind of alarm, police think that the killer was familiar with the area, the Percy estate, the inside of the house, and possibly the dog and Valerie herself. Theories galore about what and why this happened: a politically motivated attack to stop her father’s career, a jilted lover, a professional killer, a professional burglar caught by Valerie, and even the mob gets a mention...

LINK:

The 1966 cold case of Valerie Percy: on September 18, 1966, Valerie Percy (21) was murdered in her parental home in Kenilworth, Illinois, by an unknown intruder. Her case remains cold...

... The authorities ruled out that this crime concerned a burglary gone wrong as nothing was stolen. The attack on Valerie was intense and suggests a personal attack. On the left side of her face, she had multiple lacerations and her left eye was closed. Her right eye was partly open. A pool of clotted blood stuck to the right side of the back of her neck. She was disfigured beyond recognition. When Valerie was found all her vital signs were negative.

The cause of death was a fractured skull (left side) and 14 stab wounds. Two stab wounds were in her abdomen and they had penetrated her liver. One stab wound went through her left breast and penetrated her heart. One stab wound in her right breast reached her lung. Another stab wound went through her throat hitting her spinal column. The coroner said that there were several cuts to her face. These were most likely inflicted with a double-edged knife. There were several abrasions like tooth marks on two fingers on her right hand. The weapon used on her skull left triangular impressions.

Valerie Percy’s murderer left five bloody palm prints on the banister and a black leather glove outside the mansion. If properly preserved, the glove should be treated with the M-Vac System for touch DNA. The killer also left footprints at the Percy home leading to the beach. Three days after Valerie’s murder, police found a bayonet in Lake Michigan (see photograph above). In 1966, none of this was connected.

The authorities canvassed the area. Since the family dog didn’t bark or cause any other kind of alarm, police think that the killer was familiar with the area, the Percy estate, the inside of the house, and possibly the dog and Valerie herself. Theories galore about what and why this happened: a politically motivated attack to stop her father’s career, a jilted lover, a professional killer, a professional burglar caught by Valerie, and even the mob gets a mention...

LINK:

Because of the over kill it reminds me more of Richard Macek type killing. Bite marks, i had read some where cuts on eyes, stabbing and hitting over his victims head. He never knew when to stop.

I don’t understand why the mom didn’t scream or flip the lights in the hallway? If I came upon such a horrific scene I think I’d have screamed my head off for my husband

From what I have read and researched the murderer shined the flashlight into her eyes so she could not see anything and he ran passed her to get out of the room. Then she called Senator Percy and the alarm was sounded. Some kind of alarm system they had back then that actually activated an alarm on top of the house, is what I thought I read.

Yes the KPD did not know how to handle a murder scene and called in the Chicago Police but the crime scene had not been preserved

Kenilworth PD was more like a security guard detail. Used to directing the "wrong" type of people back on the train to Chicago. Ending rowdy beach parties of entitled residents. Quietly managing domestic violence complaints, and employee theft.

The mindset of the department was to protect the citizens of Kenilworth from the "great unwashed". Not to actually investigate any of the citizens for participation in a heinous crime. The fact that it was virtually impossible for an outsider to have committed this crime was irrelevant.

Kenilworth PD was more like a security guard detail. Used to directing the "wrong" type of people back on the train to Chicago. Ending rowdy beach parties of entitled residents. Quietly managing domestic violence complaints, and employee theft.

The mindset of the department was to protect the citizens of Kenilworth from the "great unwashed". Not to actually investigate any of the citizens for participation in a heinous crime. The fact that it was virtually impossible for an outsider to have committed this crime was irrelevant.

They can't be blamed, though, for any of the crime scene clean up that took place before they arrived at the scene. IIRC, there were some things altered by the family, per the doctor who lived next door and was called in by the family.

• Model 1905 ten inch M1 Bayonet of the type found in the water near the Percy home. Note the back of the handle. Could a weapon of this type have been used to beat Valerie and cause the triangular marks on her body?

Hard to believe tomorrow it will be 53 years and this case is no closer to be solved than the day after it happened. With all the advancement in DNA you would think there would be a chance of finally figuring out Valerie's killer. I am sure he is dead by now but still to have an answer would bring some resolve. RIP Valerie

Hard to believe tomorrow it will be 53 years and this case is no closer to be solved than the day after it happened. With all the advancement in DNA you would think there would be a chance of finally figuring out Valerie's killer. I am sure he is dead by now but still to have an answer would bring some resolve. RIP Valerie
Local law enforcement should be ashamed of themselves...53 years without justice.
What the hell. If it wasn't tragic it would be ridiculous :cool:

It is one of the Chicagoland area’s most enduring mysteries: the 1966 murder of 21-year-old Valerie Percy.

Percy was stabbed and bludgeoned to death in her family’s Kenilworth home, in the waning weeks of her father Charles Percy’s successful bid for U.S. Senate. The crime was never solved...

LINK:

New Information Puts Valerie Percy Murder Back in Spotlight

It is one of the Chicagoland area’s most enduring mysteries: the 1966 murder of 21-year-old Valerie Percy.

Percy was stabbed and bludgeoned to death in her family’s Kenilworth home, in the waning weeks of her father Charles Percy’s successful bid for U.S. Senate. The crime was never solved...

LINK:

New Information Puts Valerie Percy Murder Back in Spotlight
My hunch in this case has always been the (blank) did it. The election was close, and (blank) wanted to help ***(blank) obtain the power position in Washington, so to help win, (blank) created a sympathy vote with the voters with the killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle