GA GA - Breanna Dowding, 15, mentally diminished, & Jasmin Bahema, 16, Columbus, 16 Sept 2019

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
15-year-old Breanna Dowding is listed as critically missing and police believe she could be with 16-year-old Jasmin Bahema, who is listed as a runaway.

Dowding is mentally diminished and was last seen wearing a pink and black hoodies with black tights and pink and green socks with pink flip-flops. She is 5′6″ and approximately 120 pounds.

Bahema was last seen wearing a black and white button-up shirt, black jeans, and black, white and red shoes. She is 5′1″ and approximately 185 pounds.

Both Dowding and Bahema were last seen in the area of 6th Ave. on Sept. 16.

Columbus police searching for 2 missing teens, 1 missing woman

SEP 16, 2019
Police searching for missing “mentally diminished” 15-year-old girl

breanna-dowding-fsg.jpg

Police searching for missing 16-year-old girl

jasmin-bahema-fsg.jpg

Police have listed Dowding as critically missing and describe her as “mentally diminished.”

If Dowding is listed as "mentally diminished" does this mean she has committed a serious crime prior to disappearing?

I suppose somebody can be listed as mentally diminished even if they were never been charged or convicted
I just thought this was terminology particularly used when one suffers partial insanity during/following the act of a serious crime, particularly murder. I would think a crime had occured but I could be incorrect, wouldnt be the first time, and im not exactly familiar enough with the term to be positive.

If Dowding is listed as "mentally diminished" does this mean she has committed a serious crime prior to disappearing?
That would be a description used for someone who has some sort of mental health issues or mental disability, such as someone suffering some type of schizophrenic break or manic episode; it could also be used to describe someone with developmental delays that affect their mental capacity. Here in North Carolina a "Sliver Alert" would be activated for someone 'mentally diminished'.

I don't think I've ever heard the term "mentally diminshed"?
I'd use that for an older person who might have lost their mental faculties maybe..?
Imo, "diminished" means had, then lost.

This is going to take me down a rabbit hole.

I had never heard this term either. A Google search for it doesn't turn up much. (One other missing person case where this term was used)
Is it possible someone is mixing up two terms? "Mentally disabled (or challenged)" and Diminished capacity (or responsibility)? I'm not a fan of terms like mentally challenged, but i feel that people generally get the same connotation there- either cognitively impaired, mental health issues, some kind of disability. Dim cap is a legal term regarding culpability. (If there was a crime committed, I'm pretty sure the prosecutor would not appreciate the media influence on a Dim Cap defense.... And if there's no crime, it's a shame to imply that there was by using imprecise language- especially to the media!)
MOO- sorry for the soapbox.
Hope these girls are found safe!

I would have not come to this conclusion, may i ask how do you connect this term to a committed crime?
I have never heard of the term before. So I researched it. Couldnt find anything referencing "mentally diminished" but I did find similar terms like "diminished capacity" and "diminished responsibility" which are both legal terms pertaining to insanity pleas.
Honestly, I feel like they could have chosen a better way to describe this young lady. Its confusing. (Really reminds me of how the police described missing teen Karlie Gusé as disoriented. It just left alot of question and caused confusion.)
Since this is not a phrase one hears every day and the only similar use I could find was directly related to legal terminology, I assumed thats what they meant. If i saw any other person using this term I wouldnt think that it meant a crime had been involved, but it was said by the police department so thats why i thought this.

I have never heard of the term before. So I researched it. Couldnt find anything referencing "mentally diminished" but I did find similar terms like "diminished capacity" and "diminished responsibility" which are both legal terms pertaining to insanity pleas.
Honestly, I feel like they could have chosen a better way to describe this young lady. Its confusing. (Really reminds me of how the police described missing teen Karlie Gusé as disoriented. It just left alot of question and caused confusion.)
Since this is not a phrase one hears every day and the only similar use I could find was directly related to legal terminology, I assumed thats what they meant. If i saw any other person using this term I wouldnt think that it meant a crime had been involved, but it was said by the police department so thats why i thought this.
ITA and You made me quite curious!

NC DPS: Silver Alert

We need clarification from LE (Please ASK them MSM!) about a verification of the wording. I initially thought that 'diminished capacity', was somehow related to the courts. Perhaps I've watched one too many crime shows. Not to go O/T, just explaining that my first inclination was that. I truly hope, and pray to our universe, that these children are returned to their loved ones safely. That is all. IMO of course. Though these links are valid.

From the NCDPS link:

"To help protect an increasing population of individuals that suffer from dementia or other cognitive impairment, North Carolina developed the Silver Alert program to quickly locate missing persons who may be endangered."

Endangered. Let's see them become safely recovered.

ETA1 Sorry, I forgot this is Georgia. They're using Mattie's Call, but not in this situation, I guess?

Mattie's Call | Georgia Bureau of Investigation

Although this wording is clear.

Activation Criteria
Who qualifies for use of the alert?

Georgia law defines ‘disabled adults’ as individuals who are developmentally impaired or who suffer from dementia or some other cognitive impairment.

Would that be a better descriptor? I'm confused.

ETA2 Missed the "not" :)

BBM within <

Last edited:

"Officials with the Columbus Police Department Specials Victims Unit say Breanna Dowding, 15, was last seen on Monday, Sept. 16, 2019, in the area of 6th Avenue..."

Hmm...?
Why is the "Special Victims Unit" handling this investigation? It seems like their may be a prior crime involved, perhaps Dowding is the victim of one? IDK, dont think this unit handles missing persons cases in general, not unless other crimes have occurred.

"Officials with the Columbus Police Department Specials Victims Unit say Breanna Dowding, 15, was last seen on Monday, Sept. 16, 2019, in the area of 6th Avenue..."

Hmm...?
Why is the "Special Victims Unit" handling this investigation? It seems like their may be a prior crime involved, perhaps Dowding is the victim of one? IDK, dont think this unit handles missing persons cases in general, not unless other crimes have occurred.
See below. :) MOO

Special Victims Division
The Special Victims Division is comprised of two units: Youth and Adult Services Unit and Sex Crimes/Predator Unit.

The Youth and Adult Services Unit concentrate on the illegal activities of juveniles (persons less than 17 years of age) to include Ungovernable/Runaways. This unit also investigates missing person’s reports for both juveniles and adults. Additionally, Youth and Adult Services detectives also investigate cases of family violence as well as assisting victims in obtaining counseling or other support they may need.

The Sex Crimes/Predator Unit specializes in rapes and other sexually related criminal activities, including online predators. These investigators are highly trained in handling sexual offenders and assisting the victims with crimes of this nature.

Columbus Police Department: Investigative Services | Columbus Consolidated Government

I would have not come to this conclusion, may i ask how do you connect this term to a committed crime?

Agreed, I think the definition lies somewhere in here:

Diminished Capacity - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes

The diminished mental capacity plea is based on the idea that certain people are incapable of being in the required mental state necessary to commit a particular crime.

In the case of diminished capacity, however, the person’s mental state interfered with his ability to decide whether he would break the law.

On the other hand, there is still the duty that is owed to society, in that the general public is kept safe from those who are incapable of controlling their own behavior.

BBM etc., I think all of the above means the police are saying that Dowding either might not be capable of telling right from wrong (easily led); or have poor impulse control (be potentially dangerous, even if not intending to harm anyone). Just incapable of being able to think through behaviors to their logical outcome.

Breanna's FB:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009766937628 (last public post was Sept 2, 2019)

Some of Breanna'a IGs:

breannadowding (@brebre16tyty) • Instagram photos and videos (Jan 2018, has a photo with her father)
Breanna Dowding (@breannadowding) • Instagram photos and videos (less recent than the first listed IG)

I just couldn't be sure of Jasmin's FB or IG.
I counted about 12 new FB posts since Sept 2, and it appears that both girls were found and have since ran away again according to the article below dated Nov. 18. (sigh) :(

I'm going to alert on this post and ask for the missing date in the thread title to be updated.

Columbus police searching for 2 runaway teens
The Columbus Police Department is asking the public for assistance locating two runaway teenagers.

17-year-old Jasmin Bahema and 15-year-old Breanna Dowding were last seen Saturday, Nov. 16 near 6th Avenue and 20th Street at around 7 p.m.
  • Jasmin is 5’1” and weighs 185 pounds.
  • She has brown hair and brown eyes.
  • Last seen wearing a black t-shirt and black leggings.
  • Her hair was in a ponytail.
  • Breanna is 5’6” and weighs 120 pounds.
  • She has brown hair and brown eyes.
  • Last seen wearing a black t-shirt and blue jeans.
  • Her hair was in two braided ponytails.
Police say the teenagers left together and may still be together. Anyone with information on their whereabouts is asked to call 911 or the Columbus Police Department Special Victims Unit at 706-653-3449.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back