Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the photo in a comment, so I don't have the original source. I'm not even 100% sure of the location, but it's definitely worth a good search to try to figure it out!

Here's the full version of the photo
67297082_10211447157854527_4552537902080327680_n.jpg

Here's a video about the church's work with AT hikers. It looks like the same place for sure.

I don't believe in God, but I do believe in the wonderful people showed in this video. Making this world a little better. X

Looking through new comments on old threads....Is this him?? (Apparently) taken at Christ Lutheran Church in Duncannon, PA. Can't find the original source. The church does "hiker meal ministries"
67193018_10211447155494468_4651854652818587648_n.jpg

Great find! I have not seen that one. I believe that is him. We know he was in Duncannon around June or July 2017. Some hikers reported meeting him in the church basement. I've never seen him wearing that blue thing on his head and a white t-shirt. I wonder if he was still wearing jeans? Perhaps this was before he bought his hiking clothes seen in all other photos? At that point he would have hiked 256.5 miles (from The Bridge at Bear Mountain Park, NY to Duncannon; Based on the 2017 AT Distance Calculator here: Appalachian Trail Distance Calculator ). I think this is the earliest photo we have found so far.

MOO.

Great find! I have not seen that one. I believe that is him. We know he was in Duncannon around June or July 2017. Some hikers reported meeting him in the church basement. I've never seen him wearing that blue thing on his head and a white t-shirt. I wonder if he was still wearing jeans? Perhaps this was before he bought his hiking clothes seen in all other photos? At that point he would have hiked 256.5 miles (from The Bridge at Bear Mountain Park, NY to Duncannon; Based on the 2017 AT Distance Calculator here: Appalachian Trail Distance Calculator ). I think this is the earliest photo we have found so far.

MOO.

It looks like the CLC Summer Hiker Spaghetti meals are held on Wednesdays, and that seems to have been the case for at least the past four years, from what I can find.

That means he was in Duncannon at least on ones of these dates:

6/7, 6/14, 6/21, 6/28, 7/5, 7/12, 7/19, or 7/26.

If he was spoken to at Raven Rock Shelter in Maryland on 7/28, we can probably safely assume he was no longer in Duncannon for the 7/26 meal (it's approx 80ish miles away).

It looks like he was sighted quite often in other states in June, making me suspect it was like not until July that he could have been in PA, narrowing it down to 7/5, 7/12, or 7/19.

At least, that's what me and all of my many assumptions are guessing ;)

MOO.

BBM

In this photo he is wearing the blue headband under the cap.
https://www.colliersheriff.org/Home/ShowPublishedImage/22729/636854993944670000

I have following along since I joined. I know there has been no luck finding out "who" he is. Since he said at one time he was much heavier, could his photo be put thru one of the apps that add weight, I wonder if that could help identify him?

Looking through new comments on old threads....Is this him?? (Apparently) taken at Christ Lutheran Church in Duncannon, PA. Can't find the original source. The church does "hiker meal ministries"
67193018_10211447155494468_4651854652818587648_n.jpg
Fantastic find! I think it’s definitely him and it’s great to have a new photo to add...
He looks tired here.

:) Please chime in if anybody contacts the organization so we all don’t bombard them with our enquiries. :)

Last edited:
This is the original link to the photo: CLC Summer Hiker Meals
Unfortunately there are no comments, no people identified, no hashtags no nothing... And the photo was uploaded this year.
It looks like they have a sign in sheet at this place - another image uploaded shows one of the sign up sheets. I wonder if they have the one he signed?

@UnlicensedPI Hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of zooming into the picture further, and adjusting the light balance.
View attachment 205542
If this is him, which I think it may be...His nose is more clearly defined with some fat on his face. Awesome find UnlicensedPI!!!

My thoughts exactly. Profile of nose is very different. Now I want to revisit photos of other possibles.

@UnlicensedPI , I am of the opinion that someone should enquire of this CLC hiker meals program whether they have any sign-in records, guestbook or other information that may identify this man. Are you willing to do it, or would you prefer someone else make contact through their Facebook page? This could be an important lead. If they have anything more than the photo, they probably should contact the Collier County Sheriff's department directly.

edited-I'm typing faster than I'm thinking!

@UnlicensedPI , I am of the opinion that someone should enquire of this CLC hiker meals program whether they have any sign-in records, guestbook or other information that may identify this man. Are you willing to do it, or would you prefer someone else make contact through their Facebook page? This could be an important lead. If they have anything more than the photo, they probably should contact the Collier County Sheriff's department directly.

edited-I'm typing faster than I'm thinking!
I'll reach out to them tomorrow!

It looks like the CLC Summer Hiker Spaghetti meals are held on Wednesdays, and that seems to have been the case for at least the past four years, from what I can find.

That means he was in Duncannon at least on ones of these dates:

6/7, 6/14, 6/21, 6/28, 7/5, 7/12, 7/19, or 7/26.

If he was spoken to at Raven Rock Shelter in Maryland on 7/28, we can probably safely assume he was no longer in Duncannon for the 7/26 meal (it's approx 80ish miles away).

It looks like he was sighted quite often in other states in June, making me suspect it was like not until July that he could have been in PA, narrowing it down to 7/5, 7/12, or 7/19.

At least, that's what me and all of my many assumptions are guessing ;)

RBBM

Excellent work with the available information, our Thanks button isn't enough!!!

Might help local LE or anyone interested in the Trail figure out a few more details.

JMHO YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member