Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Do you have a link for that by chance? I can't find anything.

Imagine how ineffective any police department would be if detectives were only assigned to one specific case at a time, regardless if there was movement in that investigation or not.

“At any particular time, you can pluck people in or insert people into that investigation and it won’t skip a beat.”

Idsinga added that the same will be true for the investigators involved in the unsolved December 2017 murders of billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman.

The lead detective Susan Gomes has been promoted to inspector and will soon be moving to a new unit.

We tackle these investigations as teams,” he said. “She is still going to be in the building and she is still going to be a resource.”...”

Meet the new head of the Toronto Police Service's homicide unit

Remember this guy? Shaun Rootenberg?

“On the day he was last seen alive, Barry Sherman's lawyers filed documents in court supporting a lawsuit against a convicted fraudster who had allegedly duped the billionaire philanthropist out of a $150,000 investment, CBC News: The Fifth Estate has learned....

...Sherman launched his lawsuit in May 2017 against Shaun Rootenberg and other parties. The lawsuit alleged "a fraudulent scheme" had cheated Sherman out of his investment.”
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4506346

He was convicted of another fraud case this past July, and is now asking for a mistrial.

Allen convicted Rootenberg, 51, of Thornhill, Ont., in July of defrauding Victoria Smith, a divorced mother of two, out of $595,000. She had given him the money in September and October 2013 to invest on her behalf. Instead, Allen ruled, he had used the funds to buy himself a new BMW and pay off gambling debts, among other things.
Man who scammed romantic partner wants mistrial despite guilty finding | The Star

After BS' and HS' death, they are trying, it seems ....
Where is Honey Sherman’s will?
Now, a court-ordered veil of secrecy shrouds almost everything related to the Sherman estates, as does a court order keeping secret the progress of the yearlong Toronto police homicide probe.

Hiding a court proceeding from public access and a corporate fraudulent preferences really aren't connected.

There is nothing to suggest that Barry was not already prudently creditor proof, or that his heirs have greater sophistication in such matters.

Imagine how ineffective any police department would be if detectives were only assigned to one specific case at a time, regardless if there was movement in that investigation or not.

“At any particular time, you can pluck people in or insert people into that investigation and it won’t skip a beat.”

Idsinga added that the same will be true for the investigators involved in the unsolved December 2017 murders of billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman.

The lead detective Susan Gomes has been promoted to inspector and will soon be moving to a new unit.

We tackle these investigations as teams,” he said. “She is still going to be in the building and she is still going to be a resource.”

It goes without saying that police will staff a murder investigation immediately and full out provide the staff necessary in investigating the case. TPS assigned 51 officers to the Sherman case, as per an affidavit filed in court in April, 2018. We don't know how many officers were assigned to the case in December and the six weeks before TPS claimed it to be a targeted double murder. But it is obvious that as time passes without leads being successful in the investigation, police manpower is cut back dramatically. This has happened in the Sherman investigation, and the reality is if only one officer is assigned to work on an older case, that is a usual sign that the case has not generated further action for what ever reason. jmo

“On the day he was last seen alive, Barry Sherman's lawyers filed documents in court supporting a lawsuit against a convicted fraudster who had allegedly duped the billionaire philanthropist out of a $150,000 investment, CBC News: The Fifth Estate has learned....

...Sherman launched his lawsuit in May 2017 against Shaun Rootenberg and other parties. The lawsuit alleged "a fraudulent scheme" had cheated Sherman out of his investment.”

He was convicted of another fraud case this past July, and is now asking for a mistrial.

Man who scammed romantic partner wants mistrial despite guilty finding | The Star

Does anyone know if a definitive link has been established between Myron Gottlieb (met Rootenberg in jail as I recall and introduced Him to Barry sherman) and Judi Gottlieb, the Sherman’s realtor who was evidently contacted when the bodies were found and who possibly was involved in the apparent delay In contacting of emergency responders for about an hour after the discovery of the bodies?

Does anyone know if a definitive link has been established between Myron Gottlieb (met Rootenberg in jail as I recall and introduced Him to Barry sherman) and Judi Gottlieb, the Sherman’s realtor who was evidently contacted when the bodies were found and who possibly was involved in the apparent delay In contacting of emergency responders for about an hour after the discovery of the bodies?
Cannot find a "definitive" link, but believe the question was asked and answered (no) in an earlier thread.
Not to be confused with others with the same name with slightly different spelling, unrelated but coincidentally years ago- there was an international flap following a slap, which sent an earring flying. FWIW, imo, speculation.rbbm.
https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1986-sondra-gotliebs-slap-flap
"...slapped Connor in the face hard enough that Connor's earring flew across the driveway".

One of the unknown scum bags and known con artists that Barry financed are who his two closest friends think killed him.

One of the unknown scum bags and known con artists that Barry financed are who his two closest friends think killed him.

This Shaun Rootenberg appears to be quite a sleaze. He seems to like to exploit women's feelings for fun and profit. I wonder if he had any contacts with Honey Sherman, or was his relationship just with Barry.

Usually fraudsters, do not get involved in murders. Did Rootenberg have any overseas activities/activities? Is he a citizen of another country? Where does he live or have homes?

I must have missed that- is there a reference somewhere in the articles to Barry’s close friends saying that they believe Rootenberg was involved in the killings? I am unsure what you are referring to exactly. Thanks

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...utm_campaign=sootoday.com&utm_medium=referral
"Slain billionaire was suing over $150K, filed court papers last day seen alive"

"In his statement of defence filed in October, Rootenberg said he "disputes the claim … that he contributed to the loss" and requested that the lawsuit be "dismissed in its entirety."

"CBC has no evidence that there is a connection between the lawsuit and the murder, nor that Rootenberg is a suspect."

I must have missed that- is there a reference somewhere in the articles to Barry’s close friends saying that they believe Rootenberg was involved in the killings? I am unsure what you are referring to exactly. Thanks

No, I was referring to comments made by F. D'Angelo and Jack Kay, who both referenced BS dealing with unnamed, and unknown shady characters. There is no reference to Rootenberg.

Refresher, such as it is.
October 24, 2018
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
“They’re f---ing criminals, that’s what they are,” Frank D’Angelo said into his phone. He quickly hung up. “F---ing banks. Gangsters. And they say Italians are gangsters.”

We were sitting at a corner table, backs to the wall, in an Italian restaurant at Toronto’s Ritz-Carlton hotel. D’Angelo had asked me to meet him for an early lunch to discuss his relationship with Sherman, his main financial backer for about 15 years. The two talked almost every day, and D’Angelo was among the last people outside Apotex to speak with Sherman, in a late-evening phone call the Tuesday before the bodies were discovered. It was a regular catch-up, D’Angelo recalled, entirely unremarkable in its content.

“He was my best friend. He was my brother,” he said, visibly choked up at the thought of Sherman’s death. “And I f---ed him, because I couldn’t help him. I couldn’t be there, Mr. Tough Guy, when he needed me the most. It destroys me. I can’t even imagine what he felt.”

This Shaun Rootenberg appears to be quite a sleaze. He seems to like to exploit women's feelings for fun and profit. I wonder if he had any contacts with Honey Sherman, or was his relationship just with Barry.

Usually fraudsters, do not get involved in murders. Did Rootenberg have any overseas activities/activities? Is he a citizen of another country? Where does he live or have homes?

Yeah he sure appears to be.

But during the time of the Sherman murders he was incarcerated. He was arrested for the E-harmony fraud charges on June 8, 2017 and held beyond March, 2018.

This is his petition to the court, arguing for his release.

2018 ONCA 335 (CanLII) | CanLII

Yeah he sure appears to be.

But during the time of the Sherman murders he was incarcerated. He was arrested for the E-harmony fraud charges on June 8, 2017 and held beyond March, 2018.

This is his petition to the court, arguing for his release.

2018 ONCA 335 (CanLII) | CanLII
Being incarcerated for that period of time makes the likelihood of his involvement in Sherman's case, marginal at best.

Kay is likely referring, in part, to FDA.

I can't access The Toronto Star, so it is difficult to find certain quotes in full. I did find a reference to FDA and J. Kay's theories:

Everyone has his or her own pet theory on the deaths, and Campbell talks to three people close to Sherman who chime in with theirs. One is Frank D'Angelo, a brash and unusual business partner (the two went in on juice, energy drink, and beer enterprises, and Sherman bankrolled may of his B-movies, which included the likes of Sicilian Vampire). D'Angelo, for his part, thinks "somebody came to make Barry an offer he couldn’t refuse, and he refused." Estranged cousin Kerry Winter, who is locked in a still-ongoing legal battle with Sherman's estate over Apotex, thinks it was Sherman himself who did the killings. Jack Kay, now CEO of Apotex, was more aligned with D'Angelo in his thinking. Campbell doesn't share his own theory, but he does flag Sherman's "affinity, if not affection, for inadvisable financial relationships.

Will We Ever Know What Happened to These Billionaires?
https://trends.revcontent.com/click...3UHDnsPBIsWJxlHWXrVjwcCMpZD+VzvgDqdO/IW&s2s=1

https://mixi.media/newdata/news?ad=...wPxs7UDmKW4A-LftgO-0vcCO5rdRx4AAAA&rnd=607805

I can't access The Toronto Star, so it is difficult to find certain quotes in full. I did find a reference to FDA and J. Kay's theories:

Everyone has his or her own pet theory on the deaths, and Campbell talks to three people close to Sherman who chime in with theirs. One is Frank D'Angelo, a brash and unusual business partner (the two went in on juice, energy drink, and beer enterprises, and Sherman bankrolled may of his B-movies, which included the likes of Sicilian Vampire). D'Angelo, for his part, thinks "somebody came to make Barry an offer he couldn’t refuse, and he refused." Estranged cousin Kerry Winter, who is locked in a still-ongoing legal battle with Sherman's estate over Apotex, thinks it was Sherman himself who did the killings. Jack Kay, now CEO of Apotex, was more aligned with D'Angelo in his thinking. Campbell doesn't share his own theory, but he does flag Sherman's "affinity, if not affection, for inadvisable financial relationships.

Will We Ever Know What Happened to These Billionaires?

And FDA may have been the most inadvisable one of all, according to Jonathon.

And FDA may have been the most inadvisable one of all, according to Jonathon.

It appears to me that FDA had little or no motive, unless Barry was planning to cut him off and call his outstanding loans. But even if that were the case, I have to assume Alex glassenberg, Barry’s finance guy is aware of any outstanding loans made to FDA and would still act to collect them for the estate. If any advances were forgiveable upon the death of either party I am sure LE would have investigated this by now. Jmo

It appears to me that FDA had little or no motive, unless Barry was planning to cut him off and call his outstanding loans. But even if that were the case, I have to assume Alex glassenberg, Barry’s finance guy is aware of any outstanding loans made to FDA and would still act to collect them for the estate. If any advances were forgiveable upon the death of either party I am sure LE would have investigated this by now. Jmo

I'm not putting him up as a suspect. But getting involved with him financially was a disaster by all accounts.

I'm not putting him up as a suspect. But getting involved with him financially was a disaster by all accounts.
It seems that Barry was a willing participant though, for whatever reason(s). ie I believe sometimes people/companies may invest in things that are known to lose money, which end up reducing taxes on more profitable enterprises. He may have figured it was more fun to lose money by participating in FDA's escapades than to pay it to CRA, for example. Seems the two were pals for whatever attributes each saw in the other, and also seems there may have been a fair bit of jealousy from others, including family member(s) because of it. jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member