Presumed Located AL - Lorene Virginia Collier, 83, Glencoe, visiting from Florida, 5 Mar 2019

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
A missing Florida woman, Lorene Virginia Collier, 83, who was visiting relatives in Etowah County this week, was last seen Tuesday night when she left her brother’s home in Glencoe to visit another relative on Bellevue Drive on Lookout Mountain in Gadsden.

She never arrived, and family members have not seen her or her electric blue 2019 Kia Optima since. Collier will turn 84 on Friday. Florida license plate 1I75MQ,.

She is 5'2" tall, 135 lbs, with gray or partially gray hair and blue eyes.

She does not have a cellphone with her; hers was not working and she was having a replacement delivered to a relative’s home in Etowah County. She has family in Glencoe, Gadsden and Southside.

missing_senior_alert_0307_1551982345949_76325705_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Search underway for missing 83-year-old

Missing Senior Alert - Lorene Virgina Collier

My FB is blowing up with her story. She made it to AL. She left one relatives house to visit another relative. She never showed up. Relatives are all elderly and somewhat confused. Each thought she was at the others house.

Rough terrain there. Mountainous. I'd be worried about an accident on a mountain road.

My FB is blowing up with her story. She made it to AL. She left one relatives house to visit another relative. She never showed up. Relatives are all elderly and somewhat confused. Each thought she was at the others house.

Rough terrain there. Mountainous. I'd be worried about an accident on a mountain road.

"Ms. Collier is an 83-year-old white female and may be suffering from a condition that may impair her judgement."

Missing Senior Alert - Lorene Virginia Collier

Glencoe police chief Alan Kelly says his department is reliant entirely on citizen tips since she had no cell phone with her and her car has no tracking software or satellite radio.

Kelly said Tuesday they tracked down a lead that her car was found on I-59 near Fort Payne, but the car in question had a different plate and was a different color.

He says Collier’s family told him when she was driving from Tampa to Etowah County, she ran out of gas at one point in Macon, Georgia. A couple brought gasoline to her, and she vowed to take them out to dinner to repay their kindness.

Kelly says that’s why a possible sighting in Spanish Fort, where a woman fitting her description with a similar car, asked for directions. A similar car was caught on video.

Kelly says the woman preferred secondary roads because she didn’t like traveling on interstates since they had such high speed limits.

Missing woman still being sought in Etowah County

Bumping... no reports that she’s been found :(

Dre, this case is reminding me of the case of Gail Palmgren, who went missing from Signal Mountain (TN), an area with similar terrain as in this case. Her vehicle and remains were found down a steep embankment (searchers rappelled using 600 ft. ropes), in dense brush. The heavy foliage prevented discovery of her vehicle, and later her remains, until months later.

Here's the link to Gail Palmgren's disappearance, which I found intriguing, then tragic: TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #13

I hope for her family's sake that Lorene will be found, possibly in winter after some of the leaves have fallen from the trees.

The distance from Glencoe to Bellevue drive,where she was headed is maybe 10 miles.Most of it is driving along a busy highway.The area of Bellevue drive is a residential area (house to house).If she had an accident along this way and ran off the road it would be hard to believe that she wouldn't be found as it isn't a remote area.Which leads me to believe she became very lost and ended up somewhere out of the way.The Spanish fort (supposed?) sighting is over 300 miles to the south,near Mobile.Gadsden is in northeast Alabama.

To give you another idea of the mountain,the road going up it is only about a half mile long and is well paved.You can drive up it in a minute or two.A guardrail goes along the side of it.If a car has an accident there,it will be found rather quickly as the road gets a decent amount of traffic.Its not particularly scary or dangerous though when there are accidents it's due to a person driving too fast,or the car lost control on the road in rainy conditions.The first turn to the right leads into Bellevue dr.

I live on the mountain near there and go up and down it everyday to go to work,into town,etc.

The concerning thing is her age and medical condition.Sounds like she may have become confused and totally lost.And ended up far away maybe?

The distance from Glencoe to Bellevue drive,where she was headed is maybe 10 miles.Most of it is driving along a busy highway.The area of Bellevue drive is a residential area (house to house).If she had an accident along this way and ran off the road it would be hard to believe that she wouldn't be found as it isn't a remote area.Which leads me to believe she became very lost and ended up somewhere out of the way.The Spanish fort (supposed?) sighting is over 300 miles to the south,near Mobile.Gadsden is in northeast Alabama.

To give you another idea of the mountain,the road going up it is only about a half mile long and is well paved.You can drive up it in a minute or two.A guardrail goes along the side of it.If a car has an accident there,it will be found rather quickly as the road gets a decent amount of traffic.Its not particularly scary or dangerous though when there are accidents it's due to a person driving too fast,or the car lost control on the road in rainy conditions.The first turn to the right leads into Bellevue dr.

I live on the mountain near there and go up and down it everyday to go to work,into town,etc.

The concerning thing is her age and medical condition.Sounds like she may have become confused and totally lost.And ended up far away maybe?

Thank you @dnm for sharing - always good to have local information. Hard to believe neither her or her vehicle has been found yet. :(

Not sure this April 3rd article has been posted. More pics and a pic of her car in this one.

Florida woman vanishes from Glencoe area

Also an interesting remark by GPD, although I'm sure they were only speculating.

Investigators with the Glencoe Police Department say Collier may have gone a little further than they had anticipated.

"Maybe got confused or disoriented and maybe in a medical facility and they don't know who she is," Chief Kelly said. "She could be in an out-of-state medical facility as a Jane Doe."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back