GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

.... NO....... Sometimes I think what KD said is what someone wanted it to look like

A cult...........
RSBM

Not sure I've ever really thought about it like this before, but yes.. in whose mind would such a thing as a cult killing come to mind on this? Especially having some knowledge of that crazy Newabian(sp?) case. Maybe perhaps only someone(s) who wanted it to look like that? No matter how one slices it... 99% of the possible options would include a messy gruesome scene where not much care or thought would have been given.. the cleanliness of this event, imho, rules out so many possibilities.. such as random, home invasion, thrill-kill, mob-hit, some kind of crazy cult thing, sex assault, robbery, etc. If extortion, a failed one, since obviously the Ds did not have what was wanted, where is the huge mess of anger? Instead we have nothing touched, no prints, no DNA, and a clean cut - which doesn't look like a lot of sudden anger. 'Looks' like a crazy, but the other facts don't fit. Unless someone was trying for a 'wannabe looks like a crazy'.

What's left? Not a whole hay of a lot, except for one big elephant in the room. imo.

ETA: add 'drug-induced killing' to that list above since such a murder would also have left a big mess.

I am thinking about the Jessica Chambers case and how the FBI sent a lot of resources to MS and solved it rather quickly. It seems that the Russell/Shirley case could of received similar attention from the FBI *if* there were desire & pressure from the family. Something that I did not observe. I realize the FBI was involved in this case, but it is doubtful that they exhausted their resources. Honestly, this case doesn't seem to be that difficult to solve - unless it was truly random, which is unlikely. I'm literally saying a prayer every day that this will one day be resolved and the perp brought to justice and removed from society. Whoever that may be.
You are right, I dont think the FBI played a very big role. I know SS said that their profile description of the perp wasnt very helpful, hunter, fisher, boater , something like that, which is a vast majority of the south especially in the country like Putnam area, lots of land and waterways

SOOO, did he just brush them off too? Glad you brought that up.

I looked and didnt see the dermonds on the FBI unsolved murders online...........Major Cases — FBI

is there another location??

Hmm, yeah I just dont know what SS has missed in this case, clearly SOMETHING was missed!

RSBM

Not sure I've ever really thought about it like this before, but yes.. in whose mind would such a thing as a cult killing come to mind on this? Especially having some knowledge of that crazy Newabian(sp?) case. Maybe perhaps only someone(s) who wanted it to look like that? No matter how one slices it... 99% of the possible options would include a messy gruesome scene where not much care or thought would have been given.. the cleanliness of this event, imho, rules out so many possibilities.. such as random, home invasion, thrill-kill, mob-hit, some kind of crazy cult thing, sex assault, robbery, etc. If extortion, a failed one, since obviously the Ds did not have what was wanted, where is the huge mess of anger? Instead we have nothing touched, no prints, no DNA, and a clean cut - which doesn't look like a lot of sudden anger. 'Looks' like a crazy, but the other facts don't fit. Unless someone was trying for a 'wannabe looks like a crazy'.

What's left? Not a whole hay of a lot, except for one big elephant in the room. imo.

ETA: add 'drug-induced killing' to that list above since such a murder would also have left a big mess.
only a PLANNED murder would have so little mess and lack of evidence IMO.........i just keep going back to the same thing year after year after year..........cant shake it

only a PLANNED murder would have so little mess and lack of evidence IMO.........i just keep going back to the same thing year after year after year..........cant shake it
I agree that this was planned. But, what would be the intent of hiding one (or wanting to hide both) bodies? Who would benefit from their bodies not being found? Was the killer(s) simply ensuring that there was no evidence left on the Mrs. by taking her?

Do you rein in ga Esv? I don't kniw how long youve been reading this thread or about this case...all that has been discussed

But if your asking to make a point..point tsken...my sentiments all along....WHO

S
Read up on statement analysis too

Some creepy things have been said according
to articles.... no response to podcast and no demand to police, no plea ever made, leading investigation imo, didn't attend vigil, no PI , no reward money

Point the investigation somewhere else...walk away, don't talk and itll all go away

Those woth lots of assets need lots of cash....dont think otherwise

Evidence removed or destroyed....confusion

Nothing normal about this case

I agree that this was planned. But, what would be the intent of hiding one (or wanting to hide both) bodies? Who would benefit from their bodies not being found? Was the killer(s) simply ensuring that there was no evidence left on the Mrs. by taking her?

Thank you, dancin'... I do live in Atlanta and am a true crime analytical thinker and truth-seeker, in general. I am currently going through the thread and listening to the "Into the Case" podcasts. I realize now that the unexplained questions that I asked a few days ago have been echoed many times in this thread, reinforcing those questions' validity.

Thank you, dancin'... I do live in Atlanta and am a true crime analytical thinker and truth-seeker, in general. I am currently going through the thread and listening to the "Into the Case" podcasts. I realize now that the unexplained questions that I asked a few days ago have been echoed many times in this thread, reinforcing those questions' validity.
It's an interesting case and puzzling case.

WOW ATL... Did you know the Dermonds in ATL? Sandy Springs specifically, fulton county I believe, before they moved to the Lake area?

Do you visit Lake Oconee? Not to far from you!

Hey ESVK,

I would like to know YOUR thoughts on how the bodies were separated. We've posted here about all this continually, it is a very valid question you ask, as have we all.

I guess we all seem to think that the perps needed TIME, time to get away, time to destroy evidence

When bodies are mutiliated, its because of some SICK individual(s) or it's intent is to hide evidence

In this case, it confused the whole case, as SS has said, for every thing that looked profession in this case, there was something as equally UNprofessional

SO.......is that someone trying to confuse the investigators? Someone trying to make sure one body is found. I know it would take some time for the death certificate of the missing individual in this case if she had never surfaced but I would think, JMO, that due to the gruesome mutilation of RD's body, would the death certificate for SD be more quickly forthcoming ? Even so, Im not sure how long a wait is for a death certificate of someone who is missing but if it had been only a single living parent with no spouse, it may have taken much long, no knowing if the person had wandered off, disappeared on purpose etc

So the family was going to get their inheritance pretty quickly in this situation it seems to me but that's JMO

I also believe that the body was meant to be found

THe location was not remote, the many many ligatures wrapped her ankles to appear to not want her found yet the weight was waay to light and if they can behead someone, do we imagine that the killers KNEW the body was going to surface. I mean I know this from watching crime shows and real cases, there were no puncture wounds on the body to release the gases

WHoever was hired to do this, KNEW what they were doing. SD being hauled off kept the investigators from looking directly at family or there was dna evidence all over her as there likely was in RD head or in his mouth

And I may be completely wrong LOL

but we have NO suspects and NO one who benefited from their death

Iknow what I think but WHy do YOU say its not that difficult to solve?

Last edited:
FBI has not been involved in this case since initially being invited in by the PCSO........if the family were to invite I them into this case they would be still involved possibly.......

For certain they do not have the Dermonds unsolved case on the FBI page

The way I understand it is that the family of the deceased or Sheriff has to invite the FBI in

I would think possibly the same for the GBI

WOW

The Jessica Chambers Case has had two trials and zero convictions. I don’t consider that solved. They probably won’t try Tellis again and now I thought of something. DM said Tex didn’t intentionally shoot her. Jessica said Eric lit her on fire.

The police and district attorneys don’t seem to care what they’re told sometimes. They just continue on.

I don’t think Tex shot Diane on purpose and I would wager a large sum of money on that but I think Tellis has something to do with killing JC but I’m not sure he was alone.

I am thinking about the Jessica Chambers case and how the FBI sent a lot of resources to MS and solved it rather quickly. It seems that the Russell/Shirley case could of received similar attention from the FBI *if* there were desire & pressure from the family. Something that I did not observe. I realize the FBI was involved in this case, but it is doubtful that they exhausted their resources. Honestly, this case doesn't seem to be that difficult to solve - unless it was truly random, which is unlikely. I'm literally saying a prayer every day that this will one day be resolved and the perp brought to justice and removed from society. Whoever that may be.

watching back to back cold cases
Murderers do mutilate bodies also to make the crime look like it was drugs or cartel..........
What I've stated before, the possibilty that this was made to APPEAR to be something it's not........
ESVK.......you said it too, what we dont see is what's important

Yeah that's telling , and yet this was supposed to look like a cartel beheading and the house was still immaculate except where RD was found in the garage close to the door to exterior to driveway, almost in the driveway

HMMM, was that location an easier clean up there next to the driveway as opposed to closer to the door to the house? IDK

But the fact that they didnt have to go inside the house chasing the victims down means 3 things; the D's knew their killers, the perps came to kill and they had a plan

RSBM

If they couldn't get him in the boat that might mean 1 of the killers was female
Could have been
ALso could be that they wanted one found so that the other one would be thought was murdered too,, in case it wasnt found right away

KD said they had resigned themselves to the idea that she wouldnt be found alive

Upon learning of her death Friday, Keith Dermond said “We are comforted she is at peace.”

Discovery of missing Eatonton woman’s body heightens mystery

The Jessica Chambers Case has had two trials and zero convictions. I don’t consider that solved. They probably won’t try Tellis again and now I thought of something. DM said Tex didn’t intentionally shoot her. Jessica said Eric lit her on fire.

The police and district attorneys don’t seem to care what they’re told sometimes. They just continue on.

I don’t think Tex shot Diane on purpose and I would wager a large sum of money on that but I think Tellis has something to do with killing JC but I’m not sure he was alone.
I think the point of the post is that police will follow the evidence, no matter what the story is 'said' to be (by those involved). So I wonder, if the Tex McIver case had been in SS's county... with SS believing Tex to be innocent.. then would it have still been prosecuted as a murder and would the prosecution have had the same amount of evidence to use in the trial, based on presumably what police had gathered? Or would it have been a bit short, because the sheriff believed McIver's version? Were other police involved in either of those cases, ie FBI, GBI, other?

While SS seems to have thought of many things in the Dermond case, and he keeps honking his own horn about how *he* thought about things that other investigators hadn't even thought of.. what if he, for whatever reason, may have a closed mind about a certain aspect of this Dermond case, and it's kind of preventing him from fully following through on checking it out fully, but there is no other LE doing this *with* him, so it's all about what SS is thinking?

ETA: My point in the above is.. if there is only one police body looking into/onto a given case, and the one person in charge, the one person who knows *everything* about the case, the one person who wants to be in on the investigation should he ever retire and it get transferred to someone else, how much pull does this one person have in the direction of the case, if there are no others to 'know everything' along with SS? And how much might that potentially have to do with whether a case gets prosecuted?

I find it deeply disturbing that it seems this case hinges on the brain-power of only one man, and that man declined assistance from the state, and the feds were only minimally involved in the beginning. Where is any oversight, or is none required in murder cases?

Last edited:
Just based on appearances alone.. if a body is found with its head cut off, who would believe, or think, or be able to even stomach the thought that a family member could have done it. Not suggesting fam is guilty of anything, but as far as 'staging' things to look like something else happened, other than what really did happen, I'd say beheading someone is a pretty good stage to look in the opposite direction of family. jmo.

Same with putting the already-dead body into the lake. That would suggest if the body never popped up, the deceased may be simply declared missing, which could lead to some seven years of waiting before being able to access the estate of the deceased. .... which would also sway away from thinking 'family'. But anyone with some knowledge would know the body will pop up, and if it pops up in the same general area in which it was dumped, and there are treetops to get caught on, and fishing spots to get noticed in, then it seems maybe the perp(s)'s thinking is a step ahead of LE. It may *look* like the killer(s) never intended for that body to be found, when it was instead the absolute planned outcome.

Well if you don't want someone to be found you might want to consider not dumping the body in a lake where it will be found easily as opposed to the ocean or a grave. SS must have found foot prints either in the garage or the house or outside. these killers might have covered their tracks but they're not that good to cover up their foot prints too. I wonder if after finding mrs d if they searched the lake more for mr d's head.

Well if you don't want someone to be found you might want to consider not dumping the body in a lake where it will be found easily as opposed to the ocean or a grave. SS must have found foot prints either in the garage or the house or outside. these killers might have covered their tracks but they're not that good to cover up their foot prints too. I wonder if after finding mrs d if they searched the lake more for mr d's head.
For certain! And no SS is just waiting on that phone call.......smh

Yeah perfect set up huh?

Mutilations occur due to some sick individual or someone hiding evidence

Even if it was family.......it doenst mean they ordered a beheading, could be some unforseen incident that caused it, esp if hiding evidence as has been discussed........

friends husband fell off a cruise ship, took a year to get that DC.......KD and SS both knew and stated that SD was most likely already dead by 5 days into the investigation, she surfaced by 10 IIRC, and the assessment was due to the fact that he was beheaded

I imagine the DC would be more quickly forthcoming in a case like this, it's not like she ran off with her lover at 88 even if never found

Im repeating myself

Just based on appearances alone.. if a body is found with its head cut off, who would believe, or think, or be able to even stomach the thought that a family member could have done it. Not suggesting fam is guilty of anything, but as far as 'staging' things to look like something else happened, other than what really did happen, I'd say beheading someone is a pretty good stage to look in the opposite direction of family. jmo.

Same with putting the already-dead body into the lake. That would suggest if the body never popped up, the deceased may be simply declared missing, which could lead to some seven years of waiting before being able to access the estate of the deceased. .... which would also sway away from thinking 'family'. But anyone with some knowledge would know the body will pop up, and if it pops up in the same general area in which it was dumped, and there are treetops to get caught on, and fishing spots to get noticed in, then it seems maybe the perp(s)'s thinking is a step ahead of LE. It may *look* like the killer(s) never intended for that body to be found, when it was instead the absolute planned outcome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back