GUILTY IA - Amy Mullis , 39, Earlville, killed with corn rake, 10 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

I feel like the Defense in closing used the "Hail Mary" Jose Baez tactic by throwing out something so shocking that it would stick with the jury during deliberation and it worked.
I think you meant to say the prosecution. They are the ones that insinuated that Todd said "cheating *advertiser censored*" during the 911 call. The defense called that a "Hail Mary" during their closing argument.

Is what you are saying is it would be absolutely, no doubt about it, impossible for someone that was known to be having dizzy spells to fall backwards against a corn rake that was standing along a wall causing one set of injuries and then falling again on top of the very same rake which would have now been on the ground, causing the second set of injuries?

Yes. That's my opinion. No one can be impaled to that degree and remove their body from the instrument and then re-impale themselves on the same object.

That needs to be put to bed. It is utterly illogical, defies all odds and physics and there's a reason both the state AND the defense ultimately agreed this was not an accident: It was murder.

Yes. That's my opinion. No one can be impaled to that degree and remove their body from the instrument and then re-impale themselves on the same object.

That needs to be put to bed. It is utterly illogical, defies all odds and physics and there's a reason both the state AND the defense ultimately agreed this was not an accident: It was murder.

To add to this, the DA admitted in his opening statement that it was a murder, but Todd didn't do it. They knew there was no way they would win by claiming it to be an accident because it illogical to believe that.

I think you meant to say the prosecution. They are the ones that insinuated that Todd said "cheating *advertiser censored*" during the 911 call. The defense called that a "Hail Mary" during their closing argument.
OMG, yes, I did mean the Prosecution. That's what I get for posting in a hurry.

What's odd about those searches is, they were done in Jan. '18 and her affair with Jerry didn't begin until late May/early June '18 - so they're unconnected to that, and had she been having an affair with another person in Jan, the state would have loved to have brought that out to give Todd even more reason, but that didn't happen. So who did them and why? She wasn't involved with anyone then.

I'm quite uncomfortable (and disappointed) with this verdict - where is evidence of premeditation? Where is any evidence it was Todd and not Trysten (or any unknown person)? You can "just so happen" a lot of things together but where is the actual evidence they occurred?

Exactly. If Todd and Amy had been the ONLY ones on the farm that day and there was a locked gate, I'd be slightly more comfortable.

Also if he was going to kill her, there are so many better ways to do it on a farm. I was thinking last night that making it look like she fell out of a hayloft onto the corn rake would have been even better.

What's odd about those searches is, they were done in Jan. '18 and her affair with Jerry didn't begin until late May/early June '18 - so they're unconnected to that, and had she been having an affair with another person in Jan, the state would have loved to have brought that out to give Todd even more reason, but that didn't happen. So who did them and why? She wasn't involved with anyone then.

I'm quite uncomfortable (and disappointed) with this verdict - where is evidence of premeditation? Where is any evidence it was Todd and not Trysten (or any unknown person)? You can "just so happen" a lot of things together but where is the actual evidence they occurred?
So you are saying that direct evidence should have been considered by the jury, if I'm understanding you correctly? I understand your point. But I keep thinking that what are the chances that some random person knew that Amy would be in that shed at that time and that there would be a corn rake in that shed.

And why would that be "absolutely impossible" ? Please explain that so I can understand how it couldn't have happened.

I think there was a reason why the defense agreed Amy was murdered, but not by Todd. Was it the right thing to do in Todd's defense? Probably not. Had the defense claimed it was an accident, like it very well could have been, and questioned the forensic pathologist if there is any way it could have been possible if Amy could have received her injuries from falling against or on the rake, the pathologist would have had to have said "yes it could be possible" there is no way anyone can say it is not possible, much less absolutely impossible.

Stranger things have happened. Accidents happen. Sometimes the circumstances surrounding accidents are not so clear cut or straight forward. There is not one piece of evidence that proves Todd struck Amy with the corn rake. ''

My Grandfather owned a farm. I worked on that farm when I was younger. I have been to many farms for auctions, if I had to estimate over 100, and have seen the insides of many of sheds while at those auctions. Yes one would think a responsible person would store a rake with the tines on the ground, but kids do play in the sheds and who knows what they might have done. The vast majority of sheds I have seen are such a clutter of old junk lying in piles, they are a death trap just to walk through.

JMO
It was pointed out several times that toys were present. I agree, accidents do happen, especially if there are children moving things around. This case has the added element of the deceased having an affair with a married man which raises motives for two other people besides husband and son.

I think the problem with this case is his attorneys ineffectiveness. Her nail clippings absolutely should have been tested. The alibi of the lover's wife should have been questioned. And to those who insist Todd intentionally turned off the cameras: Todd wasn't the one having an affair with a man who had business reasons for being on the farm.

JMO

So you are saying that direct evidence should have been considered by the jury, if I'm understanding you correctly? I understand your point. But I keep thinking that what are the chances that some random person knew that Amy would be in that shed at that time and that there would be a corn rake in that shed.

I think in order to convict someone of premeditated murder, you need some evidence it was premeditated, Todd just being there is no more conclusive than Trysten being there.

Also, if Amy was killed somewhere between 10:30ish and noon, and was in the shed the whole time, where is the blood? Only two small drops were found (which probably came from the rake when it was removed by Todd) - where was the cast off from the first strike?

Where was the blood from the first open wounds as she lay hunched there for an hour? How were two strikes made in that narrow walkway with the wounds going in two different directions (some were at an upward angle, some downward)? If Trysten was only moving heaters from one location to another, why didn't he hear anything?

The investigation only centered on Todd, they apparently never investigated the 'crime scene' or even protected the rake handle for prints, DNA, what have you, it seemed to have been handled by everybody including in court. Why no analyzing of the fingernail clipping? Because everyone *knew* it was Todd?

Yes, I'd like to see some evidence before throwing a man in prison for the rest of his life.

You’re right! I don’t think they did a thorough enough investigation and just wanted swift justice. There’s so much more that could have done forensically, so many more interviews - especially Amy’s lover and his wife. I think LE said they were satisfied with what was told to them by Frazier because cell tower checked out. And the wife - well they didn’t really seem to check her out either. And what about testing Amy’s fingernails, etc. Really sloppy work on this one. Bet we get a verdict later today - or a hung jury.

I heard on Court TV that Todd's defense filed some kind of motions for an extra speedy trial.

I wonder if all, or some, of the jurors were as confused about UTC time as many people are, including the detective who testified about the times of the google searches.
Jury question about UTC time was answered by judge with "can’t provide any additional evidence".
This question was presented late in the deliberations. About an hour later, jury verdict is guilty.
During deliberation, some jurors may have convinced other jurors that the google searches were done in the middle of the night / wee hours of morning.
I wonder how much that particular point mattered in the decision of some of the jurors. Clearly it mattered enough to send the question to the judge.
The google search time could have been the tipping point for some jurors. But what if they were wrong about their understanding/knowledge of UTC time. . . and they discover their error when they get home and research UTC time. Hmmmm......

Todd murdered Amy.
Matters not what time searches were done.
The jury HEARD HIS "CHEATING *advertiser censored*" & "GO TO HELL CHEATING *advertiser censored*" on the 911 call.
Guess because he lost weight and some may consider him a nice looking guy, SEEMS PLENTY OF FEMALES THINK HE'S NOT GUILTY.
I believe he is a sociopath. No emotions.
He looked pissed off and angry at verdict reading.
I think he thought he was going to get away with her murder.

Todd murdered Amy.
Matters not what time searches were done.
The jury HEARD HIS "CHEATING *advertiser censored*" & "GO TO HELL CHEATING *advertiser censored*" on the 911 call.
Guess because he lost weight and some may consider him a nice looking guy, SEEMS PLENTY OF FEMALES THINK HE'S NOT GUILTY.
I believe he is a sociopath. No emotions.
He looked pissed off and angry at verdict reading.
I think he thought he was going to get away with her murder.

He told his son to “ get it together” when son was fainting at the sight of his deceased mother.
Then draped mother’s body across the sons lap?!
Zero empathy, conscience.
Evil.

JMO

I had never heard of this case before today. What a lovely woman. My heart breaks for her children, especially her son. Sadly, I have met people who I can imagine committing exactly this sort of crime, and behaving exactly the same after.

Rest in Peace, Amy. You and your kids deserved so much better.

He told his son to “ get it together” when son was fainting at the sight of his deceased mother.
Then draped mother’s body across the sons lap?!
Zero empathy, conscience.
Evil.

JMO

Yes. Sick angry guy. I'm repeating myself maybe. But I believe he was faking cpr on Amy during most of 911 call. He said on the stand that he didn't know/understand technology that well. I feel he tried to breathe heavy just to help aid him faking that he was giving Amy CPR. Acting. When he saw the first police approaching the scene, that's when he first began administering CPR to Amy.
Poor kids. Trysten needs to be in therapy.
And if he helped murder / murder / cover up murder, he will need more than regular therapy.
The kids may be better without Amy and Todd around as parents.
In his mug shot, he looks sinister and evil.
Don't see how so many people think he is innocent in Amy's murder.

Yes. Sick angry guy. I'm repeating myself maybe. But I believe he was faking cpr on Amy during most of 911 call. He said on the stand that he didn't know/understand technology that well. I feel he tried to breathe heavy just to help aid him faking that he was giving Amy CPR. Acting. When he saw the first police approaching the scene, that's when he first began administering CPR to Amy.
Poor kids. Trysten needs to be in therapy.
And if he helped murder / murder / cover up murder, he will need more than regular therapy.
The kids may be better without Amy and Todd around as parents.
In his mug shot, he looks sinister and evil.
Don't see how so many people think he is innocent in Amy's murder.

And, I also meant to say, he thought his heavy breathing would cover his last whispered messages to his dead cheating *advertiser censored* wife.

I heard on Court TV that Todd's defense filed some kind of motions for an extra speedy trial.

When he was first charged and held without bail, yes they wanted a speedy trial. That's not abnormal with an incarcerated client who has a farm and children.

However, more recently he WAIVED his right to a speedy trial.
Each time the trial is postponed the judge would ask the defendant if that was acceptable, or if he wanted to invoke his right to a speedy trial.

However, there was no demand for a speedy trial at the time of trial. I think they just felt that waiting longer wasn't going to to help them.

Accused Earlville murderer's trial pushed to August

May 8, 2019

An Earlville man accused of killing his wife with a corn rake has waived his right to a speedy trial according to newly filed court documents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back