Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

images

I think it is being delayed. Patrick McStay posted something on his Facebook

Earlier, the date was set for this Friday, the 27th. I'm relieved for the verdict but was determined to follow it to the bitter end. Anyone who knows more details about coverage or timing, please post same. Thanks!

This is posted on the court reporters website:

Withdrawal of attorney of record…

It looks as if there is a lot happening behind the scenes on this case. At least one attorney is exiting. Is it James McGee or Rajan Maline? Or both?

C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

Rule 1.16 Declining or Terminating Representation

It may be that Rajan Maline and legal partner James McGee have made changes in the nature of their work together. Or not? Can’t know for certain, but if websites are any indication changes are in process. The website that once led to Maline/McGee LLP is now only listing the law office of James McGee.

Perhaps this means nothing. It’s so hard to tell on this case.

I also see they no longer have one office address, they each have separate offices now with different addresses.

It's also odd that the motions reasons for filing are under seal and not available.

The defense is also asking for a continuance of the sentencing hearing.

McStay family slaying: Lead defense attorney seeks withdrawal from case, delay of Merritt’s sentencing – San Bernardino Sun

The motions include a sealed document that explains the reasons for James McGee's request to leave the case.

The lead defense attorney for Charles “Chase” Merritt, convicted in June of slaying the four-member McStay family of Fallbrook, has filed a motion to withdraw from the case and asked to delay the scheduled Friday, Sept. 27, sentencing of his client.

Co-defense counsel Rajan Maline said on Wednesday that he will not join the motion filed by attorney James McGee.

“Yes, Mr. McGee filed a motion to be relieved,” Maline said. “I do not plan to leave Mr. Merritt until justice is served, and that means until he is free.

The part of the motion that is sealed is the reason McGee wants to leave the case (The Declaration to Support the motion). That could be any number of reasons, his health, his other commitments, and it could be because they plan on making a motion for ineffectiveness of counsel and using his health and delay's as a strategic tactic IMO

Good grief...and this case just drags on again. How sad for the McStay family. And as usual the defense waits until the eleventh hour to do this. How low can they go???

Last edited:
This is posted on the court reporters website:

Withdrawal of attorney of record…

It looks as if there is a lot happening behind the scenes on this case. At least one attorney is exiting. Is it James McGee or Rajan Maline? Or both?

C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

Rule 1.16 Declining or Terminating Representation

It may be that Rajan Maline and legal partner James McGee have made changes in the nature of their work together. Or not? Can’t know for certain, but if websites are any indication changes are in process. The website that once led to Maline/McGee LLP is now only listing the law office of James McGee.

Perhaps this means nothing. It’s so hard to tell on this case.

I also see they no longer have one office address, they each have separate offices now with different addresses.

My memory may be failing, but I thought Maline was a member of Merritt's former legal team, the only one he kept on after firing the rest, and McGee was added to this new team as a DP qualified attorney? I wonder why they formed an LLP, not that it doesn't happen with other legal teams but it's new to me.Maybe it has something (or nothing lol) to do with the documentary proceeds?

Cathy Russon@cathyrusson
·
56m

#McStay - Charles Merritt's sentencing is scheduled for tomorrow. The defense filed a motion for a continuous. The judge isn't expected to rule until tomorrow. I'll be in the courtroom tweeting. We won't be live streaming but the footage will be on our YouTube tomorrow evening
---

Thanks geevee :) I looked on her twitter earlier today to see if there was any mention of it. At least we know someone will be there, hoping that a local station will be broadcasting since it looks like the requests were made when looking at the court site.

Thanks geevee :) I looked on her twitter earlier today to see if there was any mention of it. At least we know someone will be there, hoping that a local station will be broadcasting since it looks like the requests were made when looking at the court site.

I'll be checking there in the morning, I asked this morning and was told they were hoping to have a feed, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed we'll get it live. The sentencing/hearing is supposed to be at 9:00 a.m. pdt so not too early for everyone outside of that zone. lol

Cathy Russon@cathyrusson
·
5m

#McStay - Judge Smith now calling the Merritt case.
---
Cathy Russon@cathyrusson
·
2m

#McStay - James McGee has filed a motion to withdraw as counsel. Maline will stay on. The defense has filed a motion to continue sentencing. Arguments now.
---
Cathy Russon@cathyrusson
·
1m

#McStay - McGee says he has a conflict of interest. Judge will meet with counsel and Merritt in chambers to discuss further. Court in recess.
---
Cathy Russon@cathyrusson
·
1m

#CharlesMerritt is dressed din street clothes, blue shirt, no shackles. #McStay

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics