GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

The family can call in the GBI or FBI at any time and go over SS authority in this case but they have not, nor hired a PI we are aware of, nor gave to the reward fund

It would likely get solved once someone gets to work it, many cold cases do once someone else takes a look, something is usually missed

Like FF used to say, there are no perfect crimes, only imperfect investigations

It's sad one man is on this case, he wont even call in a cold case team apparently and that could be due to the fact there arent any high profile cases in the area and one of this magnitude and only one, would hate to have to turn it over but thats pride, which should have no role here

I think the point of the post is that police will follow the evidence, no matter what the story is 'said' to be (by those involved). So I wonder, if the Tex McIver case had been in SS's county... with SS believing Tex to be innocent.. then would it have still been prosecuted as a murder and would the prosecution have had the same amount of evidence to use in the trial, based on presumably what police had gathered? Or would it have been a bit short, because the sheriff believed McIver's version? Were other police involved in either of those cases, ie FBI, GBI, other?

While SS seems to have thought of many things in the Dermond case, and he keeps honking his own horn about how *he* thought about things that other investigators hadn't even thought of.. what if he, for whatever reason, may have a closed mind about a certain aspect of this Dermond case, and it's kind of preventing him from fully following through on checking it out fully, but there is no other LE doing this *with* him, so it's all about what SS is thinking?

ETA: My point in the above is.. if there is only one police body looking into/onto a given case, and the one person in charge, the one person who knows *everything* about the case, the one person who wants to be in on the investigation should he ever retire and it get transferred to someone else, how much pull does this one person have in the direction of the case, if there are no others to 'know everything' along with SS? And how much might that potentially have to do with whether a case gets prosecuted?

I find it deeply disturbing that it seems this case hinges on the brain-power of only one man, and that man declined assistance from the state, and the feds were only minimally involved in the beginning. Where is any oversight, or is none required in murder cases?

I’ve always thought 2 men and 1 woman did this. SS thinks it was 3 also.
Why did you think that TJ? I know SS has always thought it was atleast 2, possibly 3 or MORE.......I know a few people on here had suggested a woman might be involved..........we know a woman lied to SS upon questioning.......sure wish I knew WHAT the lie was about!

I'm following the Dan Markel murder and they are in the process of selecting jurors. Which made me think, could either of the D's served on a jury? Perhaps been a foreperson? And after many years, have they come back to settle the score?

I'm following the Dan Markel murder and they are in the process of selecting jurors. Which made me think, could either of the D's served on a jury? Perhaps been a foreperson? And after many years, have they come back to settle the score?
I suppose anything is possible but there are , what? 11 more jurors that they also need to go after?

Still, no family inquiring about the case to SS, no family hiring GBI or FBI

It's very odd the silence from the family which tells me they either did this or they know who did this but are afraid to say. Amy other family would have been pressing law enforcement or seeking another department to take over but not this family. 1 of the Dermonds stated that they hadn't heard from SS in months that was around the 1 year mark.

It's very odd the silence from the family which tells me they either did this or they know who did this but are afraid to say. Amy other family would have been pressing law enforcement or seeking another department to take over but not this family. 1 of the Dermonds stated that they hadn't heard from SS in months that was around the 1 year mark.
I recently re-read that very thing, and they didnt CALL TO FIND OUT? maybe they dont want the killer caught? IDK very odd

If they couldn't get him in the boat that might mean 1 of the killers was female
which brings to mind the hair found in RD's hand.........I'm thinking of a skirmish where RD is trying to grasp SD, however, even if by the hair...........in pics it appears her hair was blonde and gray

In the autopsy report, one noted gray hair in RD's hand, the autopsy of SD noted she was gray OR VISA VERSA, either way

WHOSE HAIR WAS IT? The killer/assistant or his wife's??

Hmm...what a coincidence, someone took down their FB profile.

I'm not really a FB-user... This is an interesting coincidence!

ETA: Wouldn't this person have a cell phone that was easily tracked? I mean, SS surely has the phone records... Right? Or I suppose burner phones could have been used. Just thinking aloud.

Watching a case about a wealthy socialite family in Tyler Tx..........the town was torn about the murder of the mother, one half thought the rich guy, son, would get away with murder......the other half thought it would be UNTHINKABLE for someone in THAT SOCIAL Class to be prosecuted.............

Now this is what Ive been saying, the way some think, it would seem to me that this is a narcissistic way of thinking.......IMO

Watching a case about a wealthy socialite family in Tyler Tx..........the town was torn about the murder of the mother, one half thought the rich guy, son, would get away with murder......the other half thought it would be UNTHINKABLE for someone in THAT SOCIAL Class to be prosecuted.............

Now this is what Ive been saying, the way some think, it would seem to me that this is a narcissistic way of thinking.......IMO
SO in this case, no dna, no blood, of course the mother wasnt mutilated, but the son and his daughter and a neighbor cleaned up any blood and the weapon according to the ambulance team and what they saw

Also, the son was standing outside when the ambulance arrived while his mother was laying inside the house alone with injuries, alive, died later in hsoptial

Not much concern shown there either i guess

I just cant believe there was no footprints or partial in the Dermonds home or driveway

The fact the killers went inside to get towels,
1: they are familiar and relaxed in the home due to time spent there........
2:the fact the towels were used to smeare the blood around on garage floor as if trying to wipe it up makes me wonder if there was evidence of prints there.......maybe the killer took off bloody shoes while standing next to the pooled blood , leaving prints and then stepping away barefoot, then someone smeared the bloody prints with towels making it appear it was all just pooled blood
3: and of course it's been a concern that someone cleaned the inside of the home but I dont think anything happened inside,the intent was to get them away from the interior probably

Last edited:
Here is an interesting case:

California, doors locked but alarm was off or deactivated........millionaire man and wife and adult daughter murdered, son had a rock solid alibi

Discovery: Son didnt want to wait for his parents to die, didnt want to share with sister, hired long time friend who brought another into the case, killer shot the mother and daughter upon return from family vacation, then waited inside atleast 30 minutes for father to return from same trip who was in a different car, son had given the killer house keys and alarm code to enter

The way it was discovered however, is there was fibers on the bodies, later determined that it was tennis ball fibers used as as parts to make a silencer and of course the bullets, the father's own bullets purchased long ago.....receipts traced back to the father's purchase from many years ago, proving this was an inside job, someone who KNEW those bullets were in the home

I thought this was interesting due to no forced entry as well

what ultimately got them all caught was that upon questioning the sons only friend from HS he wanted to know if he was going to be arrested LOL which put the cops on High Alert.......before this however, the son had kept calling wanting to know details on the case, called the coroner directly wanting the autopsy findings which led to them questioning the friend too

They were ambushed inside the home however and left to die, no mutilations no removing bodies, but one in the is case left inside the home's garage, inside of home not damaged at all

But interestingly also, no one is calling about this case, no one called parents since the last thursday phone call before friends found RD either, yet said they speak daily

So, dont ask, dont tell, and it'll all go away?

Last edited:
For those wondering about the FBI getting involved in this case

After the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindberg's baby, the US govt made kidnapping a federal offense. I think the Lindberg's received like 12 ransom notes! Becuase of which now automatically gets the FBI involved when there is a kidnapping

SD was assumed to be kidnapped when they realized she didnt kill her husband

I never realized the Lindberg connection to this

The Lindbergh Kidnapping - Crime Museum
The Lindbergh kidnapping is one of the most notorious cases of the 20th century. As a direct result of the case, US Congress passed the Federal Kidnapping Act popularly known as the Lindbergh Law. The act granted federal law enforcement the power to purse kidnappers who travel across state lines with victims. The theory being that federal law enforcement could do a much more effective job not being confined to rules of a particular jurisdiction.

Hi Dancin' I live in Atlanta so I am not new to the headlines on this case from way back - though I didn't seek out Web Sleuths at the time. This case still bothers me.

So, let's look at the illogical, makes-no-sense, random side-of-the-coin for a minute here with the Dermond case. I am reminded of a horrifically awful triple murder at Faria Beach in 2009. The link is in the last sentence, but I will summarize here.
  • Well-liked, upper-middle-class family is watching American Idol in the Faria Beach oceanfront home (the mother is visibly pregnant)
  • Intruder appears at sliding glass door dressed in all black and motorcycle helmet and demands money
  • 9 year-old offers $1000 from mom & dad's wallets
  • Intruder refuses the money, takes parents into the back bedroom. Assaults the mother and viciously stabs (30x times) all three (including unborn) with a knife retrieved from their own butcher block
  • Intruder exits without money
  • Senseless, Barbaric, Illogical, Evil
  • Much speculation that it was a disgruntled ex-employee or business partner, and a personal attack due to the overkill. But... Why murder if robbery? Why murder if no weapon brought to house?
  • Similarities to Dermond Case: Unlikely victims, Upscale neighborhood, no clear motive, vicious M.O.
  • Differences: DNA was left at the scene (but initially no match), unorganized.
  • A subsequent robbery eventually led to a DNA match a year later. To this day, the murderer in the Husted case has offered no motive for the escalation of the crime
Is it possible (not probable) that the Dermond case is equally as illogical (though more organized) and, truly random, therefore the puzzle pieces just won't fit together??

Last edited:
As I stated in the private response to this

The FBI profile states that the length of time spent at the crime scene indicates the familiarity of the perpetrator with the victims or the home or neighborhood

In this case, the lake, the home, the garage, Great Waters (security gate)

They likely spent all day there, Saturday's mail was still in the box

So if they came by sunrise,no one saw a thing, and left by night fall, no one saw a thing, they were pretty comfortable and knew their way around quite well. Cove neighbors could have seen if they'd come and gone all day, it was Saturday in May. Some of those residents were full time, cant recall which ones, some part time IIRC

NO DNA, forensics or fibers found is a key factor to me......This makes it seem well thought out, planned and executed with the intention of not ever being caught

Random isnt so perfect as this...........unless this was a sloppy investigation

Hi Dancin' I live in Atlanta so I am not new to the headlines on this case from way back - though I didn't seek out Web Sleuths at the time. This case still bothers me.

So, let's look at the illogical, makes-no-sense, random side-of-the-coin for a minute here with the Dermond case. I am reminded of a horrifically awful triple murder at Faria Beach in 2009. The link is in the last sentence, but I will summarize here.
  • Well-liked, upper-middle-class family is watching American Idol in the Faria Beach oceanfront home (the mother is visibly pregnant)
  • Intruder appears at sliding glass door dressed in all black and motorcycle helmet and demands money
  • 9 year-old offers $1000 from mom & dad's wallets
  • Intruder refuses the money, takes parents into the back bedroom. Assaults the mother and viciously stabs (30x times) all three (including unborn) with a knife retrieved from their own butcher block
  • Intruder exits without money
  • Senseless, Barbaric, Illogical, Evil
  • Much speculation that it was a disgruntled ex-employee or business partner, and a personal attack due to the overkill. But... Why murder if robbery? Why murder if no weapon brought to house?
  • Similarities to Dermond Case: Unlikely victims, Upscale neighborhood, no clear motive, vicious M.O.
  • Differences: DNA was left at the scene (but initially no match), unorganized.
  • A subsequent robbery eventually led to a DNA match a year later. To this day, the murderer in the Husted case has offered no motive for the escalation of the crime
Is it possible (not probable) that the Dermond case is equally as illogical (though more organized) and, truly random, therefore the puzzle pieces just won't fit together??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back