CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped
More likely that they will rally around and support one of their own. Can you think of any other profession where that happens with such uniformity?
RSBM

Medicine. There are many doctors who do this very thing. Not my opinion, my experience as a health professional for decades.

Did this officer demonstrate good judgement and reasonable behavior in this situation?

Was his response from rage and frustration or a reasonable and justified response?

Did this officer represent the LAPD in a responsible manner?

I would like to know why he is still employed by LAPD. An internal investigation is probably concluded by now.

Did this officer demonstrate good judgement and reasonable behavior in this situation?

Was his response from rage and frustration or a reasonable and justified response?

Did this officer represent the LAPD in a responsible manner?

I would like to know why he is still employed by LAPD. An internal investigation is probably concluded by now.
You're preaching to the choir. We all know how you feel, and what you're thinking.

The obvious answer IMO is that when you are a cop, you get Way more latitude and benefit of the doubt, than if you were Joe Schmo 6-Pack. Let's take it a step further and ask whether someone who works for a store as security would still have a job after such an incident? I think you know the answer to that one.

You're preaching to the choir. We all know how you feel, and what you're thinking.

The obvious answer IMO is that when you are a cop, you get Way more latitude and benefit of the doubt, than if you were Joe Schmo 6-Pack. Let's take it a step further and ask whether someone who works for a store as security would still have a job after such an incident? I think you know the answer to that one.

An officer in Salt Lake City, who arrested a nurse, was terminated. He didn't even shoot anyone, and he had been with SLCPD for 27 years, and was following orders from his supervisor when he did it.

The difference, is that the video of the situation was shown on line. No opportunity for cover up.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/10/cop-who-forcibly-arrested-nurse-for-refusing-to-draw-blood-is-fired/

An officer in Salt Lake City, who arrested a nurse, was terminated. He didn't even shoot anyone, and he had been with SLCPD for 27 years, and was following orders from his supervisor when he did it.

The difference, is that the video of the situation was shown on line. No opportunity for cover up.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/10/cop-who-forcibly-arrested-nurse-for-refusing-to-draw-blood-is-fired/
I bet the Supervisor that told him to do it didn't get fired. Edit: Read the article, he got demoted, but not fired.

Here’s what the DA will make public on an off-duty LAPD officer’s shooting of a man at a Corona Costco – Press Enterprise

In response, the DA’s office said that if Sanchez is found not criminally liable, it would make public what is known as the Final Determination Letter that will contain the facts of the incident, summaries of witness statements (including Sanchez’s), autopsy and other forensic findings, the relevant legal principles and the DA’s conclusions.

“If criminal liability is assessed, and our office determines that criminal charges will be filed on the involved law enforcement personnel, no Final Determination Letter will be provided as the case will proceed as a criminal prosecution,” the DA’s Office wrote.

The response did not address the surveillance tape.

Here’s what the DA will make public on an off-duty LAPD officer’s shooting of a man at a Corona Costco – Press Enterprise

In response, the DA’s office said that When Sanchez is found not criminally liable, it will make public what is known as the Final Determination Letter that will contain the "facts" of the incident, summaries of witness statements (especially Sanchez’s), autopsy and other forensic findings, the "relevant" legal principles and the DA’s conclusions.

Surveillance tape? What Surveillance tape?

I fixed the quote from the article.

They're obviously conducting an exhaustive investigation before jumping to the conclusions they would jump to were this involving a regular citizen rather than an off-duty cop. Quit with the dog & pony show and just clear him like you want to.

Off-duty officer will not be charged in fatal Costco shooting

The DA said the case was taken to the grand jury after witnesses refused to cooperate with investigators and issued subpoenas to force them to testify before jurors.

Sanchez's injury to his head as a result of the confrontation with French was likely a key component in the decision not to indict, according to Hestrin.

"One of the pieces of information that I think was uncontroverted was that the off-duty officer was struck by Kenneth French ... and he went down as he was holding his infant child," Hestrin told a news conference. "And it all happened very fast, about less than four seconds from the moment that [French] struck to the moment that [Sanchez] fired."

Sanchez believed there was an active shooter situation and reached behind his head to check for blood multiple times, witnesses testified.

Off-duty officer believed he'd been shot before opening fire

The encounter in the Corona warehouse store spanned 3.8 seconds, requiring investigators to rely on a single, poor-quality clip of surveillance video and witness testimony — some of which had to be compelled through subpoenas.

Sanchez, holding his 1½-year-old son, was standing in line for food samples with his wife around 7:45 p.m.

ETA: I can't tell anything from the video. moo

Off-duty officer will not be charged in fatal Costco shooting

The DA said the case was taken to the grand jury after witnesses refused to cooperate with investigators and issued subpoenas to force them to testify before jurors.

Sanchez's injury to his head as a result of the confrontation with French was likely a key component in the decision not to indict, according to Hestrin.

"One of the pieces of information that I think was uncontroverted was that the off-duty officer was struck by Kenneth French ... and he went down as he was holding his infant child," Hestrin told a news conference. "And it all happened very fast, about less than four seconds from the moment that [French] struck to the moment that [Sanchez] fired."

Sanchez believed there was an active shooter situation and reached behind his head to check for blood multiple times, witnesses testified.
Re: "And it all happened very fast, about less than four seconds from the moment that [French] struck to the moment that [Sanchez] fired."
Official quote is similar to 2018 FL shooting (although single shot; not multiple shots).
Drejka fired one bullet after a violent shove to the ground by McGlockton.
I'll replace the names:
"And it all happened very fast, about less than four seconds from the moment that [McGlockton] struck to the moment that [Drejka] fired."
But, Drejka was arrested, found guilty of manslaughter last month, potential
30 years in prison, sentencing scheduled in October.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/fl-markeis-mcglockton-killed-following-parking-dispute-clearwater-19-july-2018.385100/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong