CA CA - Kristen Modafferi, 18, San Francisco, 23 June 1997

Try this link

A chemical signature indicating human blood was found near a concrete slab at the base of some porch steps attached to the 278 Jayne Avenue house, according to Dostie. He and Vass say DNA found in the decomposing material matched that of the Kristen's parents, who provided the investigators with samples for testing.
Thank you!

Reading up on the area where Kristen's scent was lost, I'm starting to wonder if she did fall into the water and everything else is a red herring.

There is at least one verified incident of someone being swept away by a wave on the rocks near Sutro Baths with the body never found, so it is a definite possibility but not a particularly probable one.

I think the sighting of her with the blonde woman is a strong possibility but there is no clue who that woman might be. Could it have been Jill Lampo or someone else connected to Onuma? I can see a predator with a young female accomplice placing an ad in the Personals and using the young, safe appearing woman to lure a victim to him. There is is just no evidence that this is what happened.

Onuma was a grifter, a con man, a manipulator of women whose life before and after Kirsten’s disappearance is quite a rabbit hole to go down. There is just no evidence that he has killed anyone. I can see where, once he fell into the radar, all of the oxygen was drawn out of the investigation. The only thing that is apparent is that no other young woman in the SF Bay Area vanished under circumstances that were anything like hers. She does not appear to have been victim of a serial killer operating in the area.

Thanks @kemo. That's the problem, we seem to run into a dead-end at every turn. It could be that the sighting of the Kristen with the blonde girl was completely innocent, and they went their separate ways later that day.

It's just curious to me that the dogs tracked her all that way, only to lose her at the beach.

I'm not sure about the DNA evidence found in the basement. I think whatever happened was away from the house. I'm always a little wary of private investigators looking to make a name for themselves. Not that I'm suggesting this is the case but until the methodology and results are verified by police it's inconclusive.

How come Kristen and the "blonde woman" were never captured on surveillance cameras at the mall?
1) Back then, cameras were not as pervasive.
2) It might not have been her
3) It might not have been true.

If it was her, and the account was accurate, would it change any theories?

If it wasn't Kristen, or the description was inaccurate, what is the new theory?

I remain convinced that:
1) She did not get swept into the ocean
or commit suicide.
2) It did involve someone she knew
Either at work, the mall or where she lived. And by involve, I mean there was a connection or link, not necessarily a conspiracy. (That includes most likely Luque, Lambo, Onuma)
3) While Onuma may not fit the profile of a killer, people in his sphere could be.
When he made the call to LE, while being linked to the case it seems to me that:
A) Either he was deflecting from his own guilt in a total fabrication and false accusation OR
B) He knew that he would be linked, and was deflecting with some degree of Truth.

That is what con artists do...
Which is more likely?
I think its B)
Something he said was true, but twisted.
What part is true?

Since Lampo has apparently cooperated, we don't know what that really means.
What sort of people were Onuma and Lampo connected to?
(Just about everything seems possible there)
So, what motives are most likely?
1) Rape or coercion where she resisted?
2) Robbery?
3) Jealousy?
4) Abduction for slavery?
5) She was a witness to something?

You have to factor in that for the typical
Crimes above, there is usually a body or more clear evidence. In this case, were the perps really experienced criminals, really smart, or just really lucky?
Or did LE do a really bad job?
Perhaps a combination...
Most rapes don't end in murder.
Those raped and murdered are usually found.
Those raped and murdered are usually lower status, as are those abducted.
So, I do think that either she resisted a situation involving some experienced criminals and/or there was an emotional element.
To cause her to vanish was to conceal evidence, as the criminal would be clearly linked to her.
Or, she was abducted (possible, just unlikely)

And how now another girl from NC is missing in that area... There seems to exist a great deal of ignorance and naivite in NC about how much crime exists in the bay area. And increasingly, there is no punishment for anything. Who in their right mind lets a young girl walk into such an ambush?

Snip:
Modafferi was an 18-year-old college student working at a coffee shop in the Crocker Galleria in downtown San Francisco. After wrapping up her afternoon shift on June 23, 1997, she walked out of the mall and was never seen again.

The scant clues were each more mysterious than the next: a sighting of her walking with an unidentified woman in the mall, a Bay Guardian found in Modaferri’s trash with a personal ad circled (“FRIENDS: Female seeking friends to share activities, who enjoy music, photography, working out, walks, coffee, or simply the beach, exploring the Bay area! Interested, call me,” it read.), a scent trail tracked by bloodhounds to the Sutro Baths.

The case went cold until 2018, when investigators working with the Modaferri family announced they’d found a potential lead. They said a cadaver dog alerted to a possible crime scene at 274 Jayne Ave. in Oakland, the rental where Modaferri was living at the time of her disappearance. The private investigators speculated Modaferri may actually have returned home to Oakland and went missing from there, and they alleged that police failed to check the home next door, which they say was a halfway house at the time.

No further leads have been found at the Jayne Avenue home, and the case remains open.
These Bay Area residents vanished and have never been found

Snip:
Double snipped by VV: "they alleged that police failed to check the home next door, which they say was a halfway house at the time."

Just like everyone in the shared house she lived, it makes just as much sense to check those who lived in the halfway house next door at the time.
By now LE or PI should have made a list of those people, created a dossier on each. Cross check some simple things first.. has any of them ever been implicated, connected, charged or convicted of a violent or sexual crime?

If the answer is an absolute zero, next I would comb for those convicted of robbery, burglary, etc And drug charges.
That ought to cover everyone in that halfway house.

Consider a story like this...
Excon at the halfway house catches sight of her. Likely everyone there were alerted to her living next door. This is like a group of starving, deer hunters, suddenly seeing a full grown doe, just crossing back and forth in front of them every day. Sooner or later, one of them is likely to shoot.
So... what might a sociopathic, and likely drug craving guy do?... maybe a little twisted in the head...
How about he follows her without her knowing? Sees where she works. Shoplifts or acquires the wig/disguise by other means. Then he watches and when she takes a break, or is approachable he comes up to her and they walk the mall briefly. She probably recognizes him and he claims to have a gun, etc. So she becomes petrified. Instead of screaming and running she complies. Other have suggested a robbery, were Onuma brought her back to the house for money. No money there, no one home and she was killed. So this scenario could also be valid with Onuma, Onuma's periphery(which includes her coworker), her roommates or their associates, or the halfway house.
A simpler scenario might be that they realized she was home alone and acted for other motives.
But I can't discount the blonde sighting.
And her not punching out for the first time ever. If it had an Onuma connection, the motive could be one of several. Otherwise, if it were someone from home or next door, seems tbe motive more likely involved money if they showed up at the Galleria.
Otherwise, if it were a rape and/or murder, they could just go next door.
Very easy to watch who is home next door when you have nothing else to do.
So would really like to know where her roomies, neighbors and coworkers are all now. Any in prison? Any dead? And those rap sheets, yeah

I still think it's possible that Kristen drowned in Land's End.

The sniffer dogs lost her scent at the shoreline, and while that's not proof that she didn't move on from there, it's all we've got. As far as I know, there's never been any evidence that she returned home that day or visited anywhere else.

I've seen posts from people familiar with the area who claim that it's a rocky, treacherous place which has caused accidental deaths and drownings before, even in the summertime. Some of those bodies surfaced but not all of them. There is every chance that all of the stuff with Onuma is just a red herring and Kristen's disappearance might be a lot more mundane than we've been led to believe.

I understand why this particular theory isn't popular, because there's no potential closure. If her body drowned over 20 years ago, the chances of finding remains now would be slim to none but if that's what happened, that's what happened.

I still think it's possible that Kristen drowned in Land's End.

The sniffer dogs lost her scent at the shoreline, and while that's not proof that she didn't move on from there, it's all we've got. As far as I know, there's never been any evidence that she returned home that day or visited anywhere else.

I've seen posts from people familiar with the area who claim that it's a rocky, treacherous place which has caused accidental deaths and drownings before, even in the summertime. Some of those bodies surfaced but not all of them. There is every chance that all of the stuff with Onuma is just a red herring and Kristen's disappearance might be a lot more mundane than we've been led to believe.

I understand why this particular theory isn't popular, because there's no potential closure. If her body drowned over 20 years ago, the chances of finding remains now would be slim to none but if that's what happened, that's what happened.
The cadaver hit, if linked to Kristen would be the evidence that she returned home. Someone died there, who?
As of yet, no one made that link, so it remains theory. But my understanding is this grew out of JL's cooperation. And that would link it to Onuma.

Its possible that she got sucked into the ocean. But that seems incredibly unlikely. Its an easy way to let LE off the hook.
My analysis involves comparing theories and looking at statistical probabilities. Weighing things out in multiple ways.

I think that the dead end dog sniffing was explained several times over the years. Like she walked up and down that path so may times the dog may have locked on to her scent from a days prior. If you walk back the same way that you came, its not the same as a dead end.

I think is among the least likely possibilities given the other facts of the case. For example, why did Onuma rip out the pages from JL's diary for the day of and immediately following Kristen's disappearance. There are too many strange things surrounding Onuma and linking himself to the case, to not take notice. No one reported seeing her walking to the ocean or down there... But she was reportedly seen with the blonde wig person. (And if that story was fabricated, why was it?)

So in 2012, Jill Lampo makes a confession to a family member on how she "got involved with a controlling man who convinced her to assist in an unspeakable kidnap and murder" now that right there is quite a confession, but she never names Jon Onuma as the controlling or Kristen as the abducted/murder victim. There is a possibility that Jill is lying but I can't see why she would risk lying? For being a person of interest in the investigation for 23 years you'd have to be really stupid to just randomly make up a false confession. I shouldn't by too much into a confession with no names mentioned in it but there has to be something to it. Also from what I have gathered reading into this case the past month, Jill Lampo has always told different stories to Dennis Mahon (she only talked to him once in 1998 I believe that was the year) The Modafferi family and law enforcement. If you are telling three different stories it may not automatically make one a suspect, but sure makes you think what do they really know?

I feel like there is the chance that JL does have some remorse and guilt but also is afraid of the consequence that she would have to face if she were to ever tell the whole truth. She seems like the type that just cannot truly face the music and while wanting to "clear her conscience" but can't fully come forward.

If it wasn't Kristen, or the description was inaccurate, what is the new theory?

I remain convinced that:
or commit suicide.
Either at work, the mall or where she lived. And by involve, I mean there was a connection or link, not necessarily a conspiracy. (That includes most likely Luque, Lambo, Onuma)
3) While Onuma may not fit the profile of a killer, people in his sphere could be.
When he made the call to LE, while being linked to the case it seems to me that:
A) Either he was deflecting from his own guilt in a total fabrication and false accusation OR
B) He knew that he would be linked, and was deflecting with some degree of Truth.

Which is more likely?
I think its B)
What part is true?

2) Robbery?
3) Jealousy?

Crimes above, there is usually a body or more clear evidence. In this case, were the perps really experienced criminals, really smart, or just really lucky?
Perhaps a combination...
So, I do think that either she resisted a situation involving some experienced criminals and/or there was an emotional element.
To cause her to vanish was to conceal evidence, as the criminal would be clearly linked to her.

I remain convinced that:
or commit suicide.

Which is more likely?
I think its B)
What part is true?

2) Robbery?
3) Jealousy?

Perhaps a combination...
If Onuma and Lampo are involved (which I think they are, just my opinion) I would have to say they got lucky as not being named suspects yet, just only remaining as a POI . They are only tied to one case of a missing and presumed dead person, that of course being KM and I can't see them being the type to those couples who go around murdering people. What I always wondered was IF Jon and JL are involved, what made KM different and why would Onuma (under the presumption) murder her?

Also when you said did LE do a really bad job, I'd say they did not do the best job but not horrible. It didn't help that she was reported missing three days after she was last seen, then the 48 hour wait period to begin a missing adult persons case, then it becomes Friday and the lead investigators on the case go home for the weekend. It became a whole week before investigation fully starts AND the family had to convince LE that KM was some typical runaway. If I had to grade LE and the work they did on this I would say D+.

If Onuma and Lampo are involved (which I think they are, just my opinion) I would have to say they got lucky as not being named suspects yet, just only remaining as a POI . They are only tied to one case of a missing and presumed dead person, that of course being KM and I can't see them being the type to those couples who go around murdering people. What I always wondered was IF Jon and JL are involved, what made KM different and why would Onuma (under the presumption) murder her?

Also when you said did LE do a really bad job, I'd say they did not do the best job but not horrible. It didn't help that she was reported missing three days after she was last seen, then the 48 hour wait period to begin a missing adult persons case, then it becomes Friday and the lead investigators on the case go home for the weekend. It became a whole week before investigation fully starts AND the family had to convince LE that KM wasn't some typical runaway. If I had to grade LE and the work they did on this I would say D+.

Also when you said did LE do a really bad job, I'd say they did not do the best job but not horrible. It didn't help that she was reported missing three days after she was last seen, then the 48 hour wait period to begin a missing adult persons case, then it becomes Friday and the lead investigators on the case go home for the weekend. It became a whole week before investigation fully starts AND the family had to convince LE that KM was some typical runaway. If I had to grade LE and the work they did on this I would say D+.

I made an error, my apologies but KM isn't a runaway. I accidently said she was and did not notice it till just now.

The sighting with the blonde woman and the newspaper ad about "a female looking for friends" makes me wonder if it was a trafficking attempt. I think I've heard sometimes women can be used to lure other females into trafficking situations (since they might seem more trustworthy to be around). I'm from the Bay Area and Oakland is also a dangerous place to live (I think that's where she was renting her room at) and there is a lot of crime, kidnappings, etc. that happens out there. Such a sad situation though and I get a sick feeling about this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back