TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as we can not fathom it, at that exact moment she thought she was going into her apartment and there was a burglar. She did not set out to kill him or murder him. That was her perception at the time of the shooting.
Because she was distracted and not paying attention, while in uni and carrying a loaded hand gun. It was a totally false perception that ended a MANS life.
Praying my state does its usual thang!!
Pulllease
imo

guygerpinterest7.jpg

This certainly evidences the kind of mindset that I don't think is appropriate for LE or someone who carries a loaded gun.

I agree and listening to that 911 call changed my mind.

I will also say that watching the footage of the attempts made to save Botham’s life made me cry, and I’m a tough nut. This is a case I won’t soon forget, or his sweet face.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Here's the thing though: If I text and drive and plow into a couple of kids on a sidewalk and kill them, am I less culpable based on the level of horror and remorse I show?

I do understand that juries seem to think so. But I don't think the law does when it comes to whether the elements of a crime have been met. That has something to do with sentencing. Remorse can have something to do with what sentence there should be and whether there are any mitigators.

It concerns me though that whether or not she seemed remorseful makes people decide whether or not she committed a crime.

What's also super concerning is the seeming lack of understanding by many that carrying a loaded weapon does and should elevate ones duty of care in the same manner that driving a two ton car does.

It's almost like people think the second amendment- our right to bear arms- absolves us of the duty to use EXTREME caution while doing so.

She's wasn't carrying a bagel for God's sake. If we are going to abide by the second amendment and allow people to carry deadly weapons like guns then we also need to fully understand that with that right comes a huge responsibility.

Another analogy: So if someone is exhausted from working a 48 hour shift and gets in their car and drives home and in their sheer exhaustion gets confused and drives the wrong way up a freeway off ramp and kills a couple of people in a head on collision, the law is going to find that they were reckless in driving in that condition. The law is going to find them culpable no matter how much they cry or how sorry they are. As it should! Cars are deadly!

Why on earth should a gun be different?

She was carrying a loaded deadly weapon with hollow point bullets which are meant to make sure a human cannot survive a gun shot. That's the design. But she was distracted. She was exhausted.

It was thus her responsibility to unload her weapon, store it in a safe bag and take it home or leave it at work.

She failed to do so. And in that condition she made a mistake regarding her apartment and killed a man.

She has to pay for that criminally. If she doesn't in some manner, then every good guy with a gun is absolved of their grave responsibility when it comes to their weaponry, IMO.

We wouldn't allow that irresponsibility while handling a car. We damn well shouldn't while handling a weapon. Cop or not.

Last edited:
I think AG told 911 she did not know her gate code. She had lived there 2 months.
I’m sure they gave her the gate code on the day she moved in. You give that code to your family, friends ,door dash, delivery..etc...

MOO

BBM: I listened to the 9-1-1 call this morning, and AG told the 9-1-1 Operator that she did NOT know the gate code.

Then how did AG get in her own apartment complex without the gate code?

Hmmm ...

MOO

Yes, but that one section where AG lived wasn't as dangerous, the complex is right across from the Police Station!!
I would NEVER live there without locking my door , might be across from the station but not the nicest area its downtown Dallas /dangerous.

BBM: I listened to the 9-1-1 call this morning, and AG told the 9-1-1 Operator that she did NOT know the gate code.

Hmmm ...

MOO

Hmmm sounds a lot like Tex McIver telling Dani Jo to slow down on the way to a hospital that was further away from the #1 trauma center probably in the whole south after he had "accidentally" shot his wife. He too said he was in fear for his life right before he fell back asleep and the "gun just went off."

Botham Jean being alive would've been disastrous for AG. That's why she didn't render aid. She waited till he bled out.

Hmmm ...

MOO
I'm guessing she didn't know the gate code because she has a fob to open the gate. She doesn't need the code. I think it's pretty reasonable she wouldn't remember it under duress.

I would NEVER live there without locking my door , might be across from the station but not the nicest area its downtown Dallas /dangerous.
But there are locks to get into the site and the building, it's not like it is open to anyone who happens by. So leaving the apartment door unlocked after he got home from the grocery, which he did minutes before the shooting, is not that far-fetched. He was only unprotected from his immediate neighbors (unfortunately).

Hmmm sounds a lot like Tex McIver telling Dani Jo to slow down on the way to a hospital that was further away from the #1 trauma center probably in the whole south after he had "accidentally" shot his wife. He too said he was in fear for his life right before he fell back asleep and the "gun just went off."

Botham Jean being alive would've been disastrous for AG. That's why she didn't render aid. She waited till he bled out.

BBM: My thoughts exactly!

And back to that 9-1-1 call ... IIRC, the length of the call was a little over 5 minutes -- which 5 minutes MAY have made a difference in saving this man's life is she would have rendered aid!

But AG was too busy texting and too busy about saving her own arse.

MOO

I bet I know what she's going to say:

"I didn't see the red mat. I was focused on getting home after a long day. I had saved so many lives. Protected so many people from bad guys. I put my key in and it fit. But something was weird about it. The key didn't turn but the door was unlocked. And I smelled the devil's weed!! That put me on instant alert! I believed a burglar had possibly broken in! So I cautiously entered, not sure d he was there or not. When I opened the door I yelled: "Police! Show yourself!" It was sort of dim and but I suddenly saw a figure of a man. So I yelled, "Police! Freeze! Show me your hands!" But he ignored my direct and clear commands. Then he began rushing toward me in the dimness with his hand raised! I had no choice! I was in such fear for my life! So I shot him!!

When I discovered it wasn't my home I was horrified! I immediately called 911 and checked to see if he was alive. I checked for a pulse. Looked for the bullet hole. Tried to make sure his head was elevated. I prayed of course, that God would save him.

But he died. I will never be able to live with what I've done. My sadness for his family is endless. I'm sooooo sorry. It was a terrible accident. If he had only just obeyed my clear commands he would still be here today! But he was probably so stoned he couldn't think straight..."

I'm sure we'll hear more about her second job, too:

From defense opening statement:
Def. OS: on the date, CRT was tracking a "band of robbers". [CRT] was relied upon to track these guys down. From Sunday, when she worked her extra job at a church downtown, to the time she clocked out on Thursday, she had worked 40 hours.

I sort of glazed over that the first time I read it, but I'm sure her "work for the lord" will be emphasized during her testimony, as well.

Hmmm ...

MOO

Muscle memory. She could tap the right keys, but under stress, it’s a lot harder to actually SAY the numbers.

Darn, I hate to say anything that stands up for her, but got to give the devil her due.

MOO

ETA probably a fob, as someone else said.

IMO AG did not intend to murder Botham Jean but showed depraved indifference to human life. This is evidenced by her failing to render assistance to Mr. Jean as he lay dying. Failing, probably because in her panic she was more concerned about her well being rather than the victim. This depraved indifference comes through when she is shown on bodycam video/still photos, texting in the immediate aftermath.
She didn't plan to murder him ahead of time, sure. But she certainly did intend to kill him when she unholstered, aimed, and fired her gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member