Identified! UT - Body in Storage Unit, Ogden, 5 Sept 2019 - Alice Ann Valdez

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It’s interesting that the article says it’s being treated as an unattended death. Could that be an OD coverup maybe?

A physician or medical examiner certifies every Utah certificate of death. If a person was under the care of a physician (in a broad sense of "under the care of") it is an attended death. If the person's death does not fit that description of circumstances, it would obviously be "an unattended death". The medical examiner's office doesn't define it with that exact term, however. They break unattended deaths into Designated Representative cases and Inquiry cases. Ms. Valdez' case would be an Inquiry. IMO
Designated Representative and Inquiry Cases | Office of the Medical Examiner
Attended Death Defined | Office of the Medical Examiner

Great info Dave! I’ve always thought of an unattended death as one where there were simply no witnesses. But a quick google indicates there are oodles of (somewhat) different definitions.

Yes! Someone had to have rented it and be liable for paying for it. That would be on file.

But, couldn't a person with similar appearance (and maybe a ball cap & other dirtied up moving-day clothes) could have rented it using the deceased person's ID!

JMHO YMMV

The company that operates the storage facility encourages online registration and internet payment. They bill via email. The gates are locked during off-business hours. When a unit is rented, they merely notify by email which unit is ready, and the renter provides a padlock.

On the other hand, the articles about the search warrant cite that the storage unit had a lot of material in it, and there was material covering the body. Those items may hold some indications of the identity of the renter. IMO

STOCK-N-LOCK SELF STORAGE: Self Storage Facilities in Utah and Idaho

This case sure does not seem hard to solve. They know who the deceased is, and they obviously know who the renter was. I know that where I live, you have to show your ID when renting a storage locker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMonique24
Back