GUILTY PA - Germantown/Philadelphia, skull & bones in sack, buried at Awbury Arboretum, Sep'19 - Rashid Young *Arrest*

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
A human skull and bones of a "partial body" were found inside a sack in East Germantown.

A groundskeeper made the discovery around 8:45 a.m. Monday at the Awbury Arboretum.

Police said the sack was partially buried behind the arboretum's Cope House.

Police: Human skull, bones found in East Germantown arboretum

With no information to go on except the location, I wonder if this could be the remains of little Charley Ross who disappeared in 1874? His family lived on East Washington Lane, which is one of the streets surrounding the Arboretum: Google Maps

Charley's Thread: PA - PA - Charley Ross, 4, Germantown, 1 July 1874

According to the Arboretum's website the Cope House was built in 1860 (so it would have been there when Charley disappeared in 1874): Our History - Awbury Arboretum | Philadelphia & Historic Germantown

Investigators say the groundskeeper found the remains inside a sack that was partially buried behind Cope House on Awbury Road, just before 9 a.m.

Human Skull, Bones Found Inside Partially Buried Sack At Awbury Arboretum, Philadelphia Police Say

lns-chopper-human-remains-9.30_frame_36059.png

I wonder what they mean when they say "sack"? The first thing I think of is a burlap potato sack. Any locals have insight on what else it could be? Would sack be used to describe a plastic bag or a duffel bag?

There are currently 106 Philadelphia Missing Persons listed in NAMUS (and more on the Philly PD Missing blog that never get added to NAMUS). Very few cases mention of the Germantown area.

Jacqueline Santana went missing in Feb and is listed as a "runaway" who may be with her boyfriend in Germantown: PA - PA - Jacqueline Santana, 16, May be w/Boyfriend in Germantown, Philadelphia, 4 Feb 2019

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I'm not sure if Feb is enough time for buried remains in Philadelphia to become skeletal, however. And with the circumstances listed, if accurate, it seems unlikely to be Jacqueline. JMO.

I’m wondering if this is Edna Thorne who has been missing since 1975 from Philadelphia. I also think it may be Charley Ross as Gardner said above as his abduction took place very close in proximity to the site of the remains. Edna is my second pet case and I want to see it solved soon.

The Doe Network: Case File 74DFPA

The Doe Network:
Case File 74DFPA

EThorne.jpg
EThorne1.jpg

Left: Thorne, circa 1975; Right: Age-progressed to age 50 (circa 2011)

Edna Christine Thorne
Missing since June 24, 1975 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: February 25, 1960
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 105 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    • Dentals: Available
    • DNA: Available in CODIS.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Thorne was last seen at a relative's home in Philadelphia, PA on June 24, 1975. She was last seen leaving the horse stable.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Philadelphia Police Department
215-685-1180
Email Form

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 25-054798

NCMEC #: NCMC604667

NCIC Number: M-857652106
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
NamUs

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

Would a bag of any material buried in soil still be intact almost 150 years later?

None that I know of. That is what has me doubting it could be Charley Ross. According to Google searches burlap starts to decompose after about 10 years outside. Plastic lasts much long but plastic would not have been around in 1874.

Last edited:
Maybe. Everyday plastic bags take 10-20 years to decompose according to this: http://storage.neic.org/event/docs/1129/how_long_does_it_take_garbage_to_decompose.pdf
I'm assuming they mean plastic grocery bags or garbage bags. But if the "sack" found is made out of a thicker plastic perhaps it could last longer? I'm not sure.
A nylon or polyester bag could hold up for decades - and both have been common fabrics used in laundry, tent, gym, and other large bags for a long time.
Edna has been missing for 44 years so maybe it could hold up that long?

Missing child Ke'Shaun Vanderhorst's mother was accused of murdering a man who lived about a mile from Awbury Arboretum: Google Maps
When Ke'Shaun went missing she lived about 6 miles from the Arboretum: Google Maps

Tina may have also lived in the same building as the man who was murdered according to this article: Woman accused of fatally stabbing man 77 times arrested in Mayfair

Ke'Shaun's thread says she was acquitted of the murder charges: PA - PA - Ke'Shaun Vanderhorst, 2, Philadelphia, 25 Sept 1995

Well here are all of the mentioned possible missing persons matches so we stay on track:

-Charles Brewster Ross (07/01/1874) Germantown aged 4
-Edna Christine Thorne (06/24/1975) Philadelphia aged 15
-Jaqueline Santana (02/04/2019) Germantown aged 16
-Ke’Shaun Vanderhorst (09/25/1995) Philadelphia aged 2

I’m hoping that it may be Edna, her sisters are still trying to find her. It’s believed that she was abducted by a non family member and possibly killed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back