GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
“They need better psychological evaluations,” insists Claiborne. “They need better training and there should be a step-ladder of achievement that they should get on, learning how to master non lethal means before they are given the right, and the privilege to walk around with your pistol and enforce laws.”

“Everybody thinks training,” insists Joseph Hawley in between his cut and a shave. “You can have all the training in the world, but until you’re in that situation, you don’t know what you’re going to do.”

Hawley says he trained daily in the military and still made mistakes, so he has compassion for Guyger, even while having no quarrels with the verdict. Consequences, he says, follow mistakes.
upload_2019-10-1_19-16-6.jpeg

“I’m relieved because it was the right verdict, I believe,” adds Claiborne. “And sad because of the people that are affected. Everybody’s hurting. All of this is just bad.”
Cuts & Conversations: Community Reacts to Amber Guyger Guilty Verdict

I’ve followed this case since the morning after it happened and I’ve almost counted down the days to this trial. I don’t know exactly what I expected but this was not it. Obviously it has been an emotionally charged year or so and public conclusions have been drawn since day one. Very polarizing opinions. I formed what I considered reasonably logical opinions of what happened that night based on the only facts made known to the public at that time. After watching every day of the trial - some days I had to regroup and finish that days testimony on the following day, because it was all difficult to see - I was speechless when the verdict was read. And I don’t know how or why the jury reached the conclusion that it did however, when I look at everything presented to the jury, testimony, all of that, I am having a hard time understanding exactly how 12 jurors were able to take all of those same exhibits as well as having listened to the testimony of the witnesses, discussed the case amongst themselves and read through every instruction given to them by the court pertaining to the charges. I have no doubt that other than the Judge reading the documents in their entirety to them, that they each read it again outside of the court room. I even understand the questions asked of the Judge during deliberations. What I am not certain of is that each of the jurors understood everything they were provided and how to apply it to this particular case. I have served on juries (none quite like this) and I’m also very familiar with the Texas Penal Code. I don’t intend to insinuate anyone of the jurors are lacking intelligence or the ability to comprehend things concerning the task they were each selected to and felt confident that they could perform. But I must say, serving on a jury in any type of case is something that I have personally seen too many people take very unserious. This was a very very difficult case and I don’t envy any one person who played a roll in it, especially the jurors. Murder/Manslaughter/Negligent Homicide...a few of the most debatable charges in our Penal Code! I can probably recite all of them in their entirety but it took me a bit of time to fully understand each of them. And I still look back at them to refresh myself. As I’ve seen first hand, to say that 12 likely untrained citizens (and AGAIN I just want to be clear that I’m not speaking to the abilities of these jurors) thoroughly read those instructions and understood them well enough to reach this verdict so quickly is far reaching IMO. I think this is a problem throughout the entire judicial system. I will have to rewatch the reading of the indictment and things because I didn’t catch every thing in addition to the main offenses. Either way I think some of the main issues at hand were overlooked. I don’t believe that anyone can honestly say that Mr. Jean deserved to die. I also don’t believe anyone can truthfully say that Ms. Guyger went to that apartment with any malicious intent or plan to take anyone’s life. I believe a sufficient number of witnesses testified to the building and parking layout and how common it was for people to park on the wrong floor, walk the halls of the wrong floor and even easily enter the wrong apartment. The red mat...I don’t want to even touch that subject. I even agree that she did testify that she chose to discharge her firearm and her training has taught her that those shot(s) should be fired with the intention of killing the person or thing you are aiming for. This is a crucial, if not the most crucial bit of information that I don’t think people are taking into account. Perception. We can not possibly know what Amber Guyger was thinking in those few moments. We can also not know what Botham Jean was thinking during that time. Nor will we ever really know what happened. Training and experience is all law enforcement officers have to rely on. Common sense, “street smarts”, etc. all add those things, but when it comes down to the heat of the moment, a real life situation, human nature is going to take over. Before ANY thing else we are human. Some officers may have handled the situation very differently and we wouldn’t be discussing this. On the other hand some officers may have done the exact opposite of that and things been much worse. All officers had the same training and all were fairly experienced in similar high-intensity situations, but the one thing none of them are able to reasonably control is how their mind and body react when adrenaline is pumping through the body. I have been in situations where I did chose to “retreat” and I got hurt. When a few of the witnesses were describing this tunnel vision phenomenon...that’s a good way to describe it. IMO there is no tunnel there are no blinders or hallway, I couldn’t tell you what else was around me other than who or what I perceive as a threat to me, my safety and my life in those moments. And those few moments can seem like an eternity or they can be over in the blink of an eye. It is not something you can understand unless you’ve experienced it. Even then, it is different for everyone and in different situations. They mentioned short term memory loss. I think that’s a fair definition. I’ve been involved in spontaneous uses of force and was shocked to see video footage or hear witness accounts because of the details I could not recall. I guess they come back over time, or could, it’s hard to say. I’ve even sworn to my own statements about things I said and did that I actually did not say or do. Was I lying? No. I swore that those things happened because I was certain that they had. It’s extremely hard to describe. Of course these are my experiences. I do think it’s important for a jury to hear these things. Because it is very impossible to fathom otherwise. It’s very easy to say what she should have done, and I don’t doubt that she replays that in her head constantly. Hindsight is always 20/20.

It’s too late to scrap this entire post, it probably makes no sense. I won’t call this tragedy an accident but more a mistake. A bad mistake with horrible consequences. IMO, there will never be true justice here. My heart breaks for two families. :(

•MMcG•

Last edited:
It does happen though. In fact in 2014 there was another case in the Houston area where an off duty firefighter went to the wrong house. He had been out drinking for St Patty’s day. His friends put him in a cab and it dropped him next door. He went to the door trying to get in and the homeowner shot him through the door and then called 911. As far as I know there were no charges filed in that case as unfortunate as it was.
Off-duty Houston firefighter shot dead by neighbor

Yes and the lack of charges there makes sense. She was actually in her own home. An intruder actually did try to break in. She was in her Castle. He was breaking in. She wasn't.

Chris Jenks, an Associate Professor of Law and the Director of the Criminal Clinic, said it’s clear the jury didn’t buy Guyger’s defense that she thought she was in her own apartment.

“If you dispose of that threshold question, then the rest of the case is relatively straight forward,” said Jenks.

He expects Guyger’s legal team to appeal the guilty verdict.

“I would say the chances of an appeal are akin to the chances that the sun will rise tomorrow,” Jenks said.
Impact From Amber Guyger Murder Conviction Felt Across Dallas

The 31-year-old tearfully apologized for killing Jean and told the jurors she feared for her life upon finding the door to what she though was her apartment unlocked. Guyger said that Jean came toward her at a fast walk when she entered with her gun out, but prosecutors have suggested he was just rising from a couch toward the back of the room when the officer shot him.
Jury convicts former Dallas cop who fatally shot neighbor

Very happy to hear this verdict.

IMO, the victim here is Mr. Botham Jean. A young man sitting in his own apartment; gunned down because Ambery Guyger made a "mistake." Guyger learned today that consequences follow mistakes. Mr. Botham Jean lost HIS LIFE because of her. I don't feel sorry for her even one tiny bit. She had other options. She made her choice, now she must live with the consequences. (at least she gets to live.)

^^moo, imo, jmo^^

"And I have to keep the family together, because everybody's in pain," she said.

The last time she and her husband saw Botham Jean was in February 2018, when he traveled to New York in an attempt to surprise his parents, Allison Jean said. The last time she spoke to him was the day before he was killed.
allison-jean-pool-jef-191001_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Since his death, the family has started a foundation in his name, which launched this past weekend at a gala in Dallas, Allison Jean said. They hope to help the type of vulnerable people that Botham Jean was so keen on connecting with as well as other victims like themselves, she said.
Mother of Botham Jean gives emotional statement: 'My life has not been the same'

I watched her testimony, and I was thinking she would get a negligent homicide or manslaughter charge. I don't know state law, but I question whether or not she had intent. This definitely didn't seem like a hate crime to me, as she was bawling her eyes out from grief. The police force (especially in Texas) may have looked at her as a trouble-maker if she had asked for help before entering what she thought was her apartment, and her equipment may have blocked her view of the rug. I could have gotten confused myself, but this is a reason I don't own a gun. I haven't seen all the evidence, but as of now I just don't see her as being deserving of the death penalty. This case will go a long way to assist in tighter gun control laws, and I am a proponent for tighter gun control. I hate that it was her though to have this happen. Why not someone who didn't have their whole life ahead of them? Is there any evidence that makes anyone feel differently about this case? Like, had she already shown herself to be racist?

They didn't charge this as a hate crime.

Intent to kill is all that's needed in TX for a murder charge rather than premeditation or a depraved heart, however, to make up for that broadly worded statute, the sentencing range is super broad: 5-99 years. It's weird. It took a while to figure out for me.

For someone "bawling their eyes out with grief" she sure didn't have any actual tears. Most of us saw an actress on the stand. And at the scene of the murder she just texted and kept trying to excuse what she did.

Two days later she was sexting, talking about getting drunk and joking with her affair partner.

I will never be convinced that's grief.

He was a good guy, I'm sure. But let's avoid a situation where someone (especially a POC) has to be a "saint" in order to get justice in death (OR in life). Wrong is wrong. Even if he hadn't been a nice guy, she got what she deserved, and police officers need to be accountable for illegal actions towards any and all, sinners and saints.

Very true. Good point.

Yes. I bet we will see in interviews if they give them that they felt badly for her to some degree.

Maybe she could teach the inmates Spanish, or start a recycling program, OH she could donate her hair to Locks of Love.
Ah, the Arias prison plan!

she may well have been preoccupied with Rivera and the phone...but do you all really think she purposely went to his apartment? Why? What for?
I don’t think she went purposely TO his apartment. But she definitely went purposely INTO his apartment.

Well, also, none of the above involve people deliberately choosing to kill someone.
Very true. Any appeal to set aside the conviction and impose a manslaughter conviction would largely be on fresh ground.

Even still, from the defense view, and as the California example indicates (victim sought out and also shot), Murder 2 seta side, and manslaughter applied, such appeals can occur and at least one other was successful.

Similar to AG, the California shooter also had some exacerbating circumstances- victim sought out, counter stalking, suggestions of "social cleansing", attempts to conceal evidence etc.

The above case is just one example and occurred in another state. Even still, I am guessing that such defensive victories are rare.

Last edited:
The jury that convicted Guyger was largely made up of women and people of color.

Attorney Ben Crump, also representing the family, credited the makeup of the jury for Tuesday's conviction, and said he expects them to deliver a weighty sentence.

"I look at this jury. And I look at the diversity of this jury," he said. "They will see past all the technical, intellectual justifications for an unjustifiable killing. And I believe they will do the right thing."
Ex-Dallas officer who killed neighbor found guilty of murder

I’ve followed this case since the morning after it happened and I’ve almost counted down the days to this trial. I don’t know exactly what I expected but this was not it. Obviously it has been an emotionally charged year or so and public conclusions have been drawn since day one. Very polarizing opinions. I formed what I considered reasonably logical opinions of what happened that night based on the only facts made known to the public at that time. After watching every day of the trial - some days I had to regroup and finish that days testimony on the following day, because it was all difficult to see - I was speechless when the verdict was read. And I don’t know how or why the jury reached the conclusion that it did however, when I look at everything presented to the jury, testimony, all of that, I am having a hard time understanding exactly how 12 jurors were able to take all of those same exhibits as well as having listened to the testimony of the witnesses, discussed the case amongst themselves and read through every instruction given to them by the court pertaining to the charges. I have no doubt that other than the Judge reading the documents in their entirety to them, that they each read it again outside of the court room. I even understand the questions asked of the Judge during deliberations. What I am not certain of is that each of the jurors understood everything they were provided and how to apply it to this particular case. I have served on juries (none quite like this) and I’m also very familiar with the Texas Penal Code. I don’t intend to insinuate anyone of the jurors are lacking intelligence or the ability to comprehend things concerning the task they were each selected to and felt confident that they could perform. But I must say, serving on a jury in any type of case is something that I have personally seen too many people take very unserious. This was a very very difficult case and I don’t envy any one person who played a roll in it, especially the jurors. Murder/Manslaughter/Negligent Homicide...a few of the most debatable charges in our Penal Code! I can probably recite all of them in their entirety but it took me a bit of time to fully understand each of them. And I still look back at them to refresh myself. As I’ve seen first hand, to say that 12 likely untrained citizens (and AGAIN I just want to be clear that I’m not speaking to the abilities of these jurors) thoroughly read those instructions and understood them well enough to reach this verdict so quickly is far reaching IMO. I think this is a problem throughout the entire judicial system. I will have to rewatch the reading of the indictment and things because I didn’t catch every thing in addition to the main offenses. Either way I think some of the main issues at hand were overlooked. I don’t believe that anyone can honestly say that Mr. Jean deserved to die. I also don’t believe anyone can truthfully say that Ms. Guyger went to that apartment with any malicious intent or plan to take anyone’s life. I believe a sufficient number of witnesses testified to the building and parking layout and how common it was for people to park on the wrong floor, walk the halls of the wrong floor and even easily enter the wrong apartment. The red mat...I don’t want to even touch that subject. I even agree that she did testify that she chose to discharge her firearm and her training has taught her that those shot(s) should be fired with the intention of killing the person or thing you are aiming for. This is a crucial, if not the most crucial bit of information that I don’t think people are taking into account. Perception. We can not possibly know what Amber Guyger was thinking in those few moments. We can also not know what Botham Jean was thinking during that time. Nor will we ever really know what happened. Training and experience is all law enforcement officers have to rely on. Common sense, “street smarts”, etc. all add those things, but when it comes down to the heat of the moment, a real life situation, human nature is going to take over. Before ANY thing else we are human. Some officers may have handled the situation very differently and we wouldn’t be discussing this. On the other hand some officers may have done the exact opposite of that and things been much worse. All officers had the same training and all were fairly experienced in similar high-intensity situations, but the one thing none of them are able to reasonably control is how their mind and body react when adrenaline is pumping through the body. I have been in situations where I did chose to “retreat” and I got hurt. When a few of the witnesses were describing this tunnel vision phenomenon...that’s a good way to describe it. IMO there is no tunnel there are no blinders or hallway, I couldn’t tell you what else was around me other than who or what I perceive as a threat to me, my safety and my life in those moments. And those few moments can seem like an eternity or they can be over in the blink of an eye. It is not something you can understand unless you’ve experienced it. Even then, it is different for everyone and in different situations. They mentioned short term memory loss. I think that’s a fair definition. I’ve been involved in spontaneous uses of force and was shocked to see video footage or hear witness accounts because of the details I could not recall. I guess they come back over time, or could, it’s hard to say. I’ve even sworn to my own statements about things I said and did that I actually did not say or do. Was I lying? No. I swore that those things happened because I was certain that they had. It’s extremely hard to describe. Of course these are my experiences. I do think it’s important for a jury to hear these things. Because it is very impossible to fathom otherwise. It’s very easy to say what she should have done, and I don’t doubt that she replays that in her head constantly. Hindsight is always 20/20.

It’s too late to scrap this entire post, it probably makes no sense. I won’t call this tragedy an accident but more a mistake. A bad mistake with horrible consequences. IMO, there will never be true justice here. My heart breaks for two families. :(

•MMcG•

Friendly suggestion?: Paragraphs. That is super hard to read.

•MMcG•

BBM. I agree law enforcement officers have to rely on their training and experience. In this case, KG did neither which is why she was found guilty.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member