GUILTY Australia - Aiia Masarwe, 21, Israeli exchange student, murdered, Melbourne, Jan 2019 *ARREST*

'There is no explanation': Inside Codey Herrmann's chaotic world

Well... he's had his last croissant.

Once he gets to Port Philip Correctional centre, and shuffled in with his peer group there, in a couple of months, he is going to slowly remember those 'missing' two hours, because in there, where he will be, information is currency. He has only one claim to fame, and he may have to play it swiftly to get any foothold , because he is competing against some fierce contenders in that Correctional Pod for Head .

There is a huge discrepancy in what his poor , wretched Barrister says, and what actually is.

Prosecutors are seeking a life sentence for Herrmann. It is an application opposed by his defence team.

Mr Marsh urged Justice Hollingworth to offer Herrmann some hope for the future.

“Young people can change,” he said. “Young people have the capacity to change.

“The extinguishment of hope in that sense … to have a life sentence hanging over your head, for a 21-year-old, is no small matter.

Some young people can change. Some can't. It would be a crazed optimist who put Codey in the category of those that can be changed.

And since it is most likely that another woman would pay for that optimism it would be so damn wrong to even contemplate the odds.

If he doesn't know now why he did it, he will never know why and that's why he cannot walk among us ever again. . His extinguishment of hope is a very small price to pay. It really is a small matter, on the over all scale of things. There is no valid reason why he actually should entertain the idea of hope at all. Him doing 50 years with no hope is not too great a price, all things considered.

Killer’s odd prison cell confession

“He said, ‘Most of the other men in the unit talk about all the things they’ve given up or had to give up since they’ve been incarcerated. I can only think in terms of all the things I’ve gained. I’ve gained a safe place to sleep, I get fed three times a day, I have a shower. I’ve also gained a sense of hope that maybe one day if I behave myself in custody I might get to go to a prison that has good programs’.”

Oh great; so when he gets out and finds life on the outside hard again, he'll have incentive to reoffend. Fantastic!

This guy should be put away for life but he won't be, judges are soft in Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vic...hearing-so-he-can-fly-in-20191002-p52wwf.html

"Justice Hollingworth on Tuesday lifted a suppression order which had prevented media from reporting that Herrmann set Ms Maasarwe’s body alight.

On Wednesday the judge said she did so because Herrmann’s actions were such a ‘‘fundamental part’’ of his crimes, and that the media would be misdescribing the crimes by not reporting those details.

The plea hearing has resumed."

That's an interesting perspective taken by the judge there, that it would be a matter of misdescription of his crimes to exclude the details of the burning of her …

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...hearing-so-he-can-fly-in-20191002-p52wwf.html

A summary of this afternoon's hearings at the Supreme Court, Vic.

Psychiatrist Andrew Carroll told the hearing that Herrmann set fire to Ms Maasarwe's body in a bid to cover his tracks.

Herrmann has a severe personality disorder and attacked his victim in an "eruption of suppressed rage" he harboured towards the world, Professor Carroll said.

"This is the manifestation of male rage towards a female," the psychiatrist said, adding the rape and murder were an example of "stereotypical, primitive male rage".

Herrmann admitted to having intrusive violent and sexual thoughts and said he wasn't proud of them, hitting himself over the head when they came up.

On Tuesday the court was told that Herrmann's typical daily routine could be summed up as: "Get Centrelink, buy drugs, share them with mates."

Professor Carroll said Herrmann had used a significant amount of ice the day before he killed Ms Maasarwe but there was no suggestion he was in a drug-induced psychosis at the time.

The young man claimed to feel "profound remorse" but when asked about how often he thought about his predicament, replied "oh perhaps every couple of days," Professor Carroll said.

"This is the manifestation of male rage towards a female," the psychiatrist said, adding the rape and murder were an example of "stereotypical, primitive male rage".

Quelle surprise! who knew?

'Herrmann admitted to having intrusive violent and sexual thoughts and said he wasn't proud of them, hitting himself over the head when they came up.'

Am I expected to believe this sort of horseshite about him hitting himself over the head? . surely not.....

Killer’s odd prison cell confession

“He said, ‘Most of the other men in the unit talk about all the things they’ve given up or had to give up since they’ve been incarcerated. I can only think in terms of all the things I’ve gained. I’ve gained a safe place to sleep, I get fed three times a day, I have a shower. I’ve also gained a sense of hope that maybe one day if I behave myself in custody I might get to go to a prison that has good programs’.”

What a little weasel , playing the victim at this stage of the game.

He ought to get life without parole if only for these remarks!.. give the bloke what he wants. Everyone's a winner. Except Aya and her poor poor family.

Aiia's father withdraws suppression request, expresses anger at reporting of murder case

Aiia Maasarwe's father has expressed disappointment that details of his daughter's brutal rape and murder were made public after being read out and reported in open court.
Prosecutors yesterday appealed to Melbourne Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth to have details of the rape and murder of the Palestinian student from Israel suppressed, on account of the potential for them to cause distress to her family.
But the application was rejected by Justice Hollingworth who explained that procedurally a suppression order would not be practical and it would negatively impact her ability to transparently express her sentencing remarks.

Aiia's father withdraws suppression request, expresses anger at reporting of murder case

Aiia Maasarwe's father has expressed disappointment that details of his daughter's brutal rape and murder were made public after being read out and reported in open court.
Prosecutors yesterday appealed to Melbourne Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth to have details of the rape and murder of the Palestinian student from Israel suppressed, on account of the potential for them to cause distress to her family.
But the application was rejected by Justice Hollingworth who explained that procedurally a suppression order would not be practical and it would negatively impact her ability to transparently express her sentencing remarks.

More tragedy... What we don't know, is why couldn't the family make it for this hearing? without that info it is difficult to unravel the situation.

They were informed when it would take place, and also offered a video linkup, so.. . I don't know why now they want it adjourned without grounds for understanding why they couldn't make it.

The thing is, this trial has to be run on Victorian time, on Victorian law and on Vic. Supreme Court protocol. There is a very good reason why Justice Hollingworth lifted those restrictions as it is imperative that people have to understand the crime to understand the sentence she will deliver. Taxpayers pay for all this panoply, and crime is a public matter.
We may not all agree with the sentence, but we are obliged to grasp the fundamentals of the consequences of Codey's actions, this goes to the component of deterrence. What he did and what is appropriate punishment.

And that has to be told, terrible though that is.

Last edited:
'“He said, ‘Most of the other men in the unit talk about all the things they’ve given up or had to give up since they’ve been incarcerated. I can only think in terms of all the things I’ve gained. I’ve gained a safe place to sleep, I get fed three times a day, I have a shower. I’ve also gained a sense of hope that maybe one day if I behave myself in custody I might get to go to a prison that has good programs’.”

This still infuriates me. He was granted a home!.. he was not homeless!.. The house was demolished once he was arrested, but that was because he made a pigsty out of it, defacing and vandalizing it, he could have eaten 10 times a day if he hadn't spent his money on chocolate milk, croissants and cannabis. He had a shower and a bath in that home, and water supplied and a discounted hot water bill!

He had access to all the programs under the sun, TAFE, Community college, Men's shed, cooking classes, mechanics for beginners, a fabulous local library free, with home delivery free if he needed that, open every darn day. He got a concessional Tram Ticket. He got a concessional train ticket, even for interstate travel. He got discount gas. Free medical care, free dental care, free optical care, on and on .

Access to computers, the internet, and after all this, he still expects the taxpayer to foot the bill , like they have been doing all along, so that he can go to a prison with 'good programs'.....

People.. I ask you.

'There is no explanation': Inside Codey Herrmann's chaotic world

Well... he's had his last croissant.

Once he gets to Port Philip Correctional centre, and shuffled in with his peer group there, in a couple of months, he is going to slowly remember those 'missing' two hours, because in there, where he will be, information is currency. He has only one claim to fame, and he may have to play it swiftly to get any foothold , because he is competing against some fierce contenders in that Correctional Pod for Head ***.

There is a huge discrepancy in what his poor , wretched Barrister says, and what actually is.

Prosecutors are seeking a life sentence for Herrmann. It is an application opposed by his defence team.

Mr Marsh urged Justice Hollingworth to offer Herrmann some hope for the future.

“Young people can change,” he said. “Young people have the capacity to change.

“The extinguishment of hope in that sense … to have a life sentence hanging over your head, for a 21-year-old, is no small matter.

Some young people can change. Some can't. It would be a crazed optimist who put Codey in the category of those that can be changed.

And since it is most likely that another woman would pay for that optimism it would be so damn wrong to even contemplate the odds.

If he doesn't know now why he did it, he will never know why and that's why he cannot walk among us ever again. . His extinguishment of hope is a very small price to pay. It really is a small matter, on the over all scale of things. There is no valid reason why he actually should entertain the idea of hope at all. Him doing 50 years with no hope is not too great a price, all things considered.
Life sentence is not even enough but since there's no death penalty in Australia....it can be acceptable.
For what concerns lawyers....we know them...they say everything to save their clients, even if they're worse than Jack the Ripper...
"Young people can change, they have the capacity to change....some hope for the future"....what a bunch of BS.
Hope for the future my axe...that girl won't have any future...
Many lawyers should follow the same fate their clients have....

Life sentence is not even enough but since there's no death penalty in Australia....it can be acceptable.
For what concerns lawyers....we know them...they say everything to save their clients, even if they're worse than Jack the Ripper...
"Young people can change, they have the capacity to change....some hope for the future"....what a bunch of BS.
Hope for the future my axe...that girl won't have any future...
Many lawyers should follow the same fate their clients have....
Life sentence can sometimes be worse. ..

The hearing will continue on Thursday ( that's today, more victim impact statements , ) when prosecutor Patrick Bourke will be making his pitch for Herrmann to be jailed for life.

The sentencing will take place on Oct 29th.... (it is hoped her father and family can make that date )

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...als-life-prison-sentence-20191003-p52xa4.html

Mr Marsh has urged Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth to impose a reduced sentence on Herrmann, who had pleaded guilty to Ms Maasarwe's murder, because of his diagnosed personality disorder.

The Supreme Court heard on Wednesday medical experts had not identified a trigger for Herrmann's "eruption of suppressed rage" when he struck Ms Maasarwe to the head with a metal pipe, but had ruled out drug-induced psychosis as Herrmann hadn't used ice in the day before the murder.

Surely, in any sane society, if you strut around murdering young women because you have a personality disorder, you are entitled to a harsher sentence? not a reduced sentence?

WTF??????

Mr Tim Marsh says, young people can change, they have the capacity to change, his client could be one of those capable of change... ..

and on the other hand, his own psych testifies that his client has a personality disorder. Which, is incurable. Everyone knows this. You are what you are.

WTF??

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-fate-of-aiia-s-murderer-20191003-p52xf7.html

Jaymes Todd's appeal against a life sentence for raping and killing Eurydice Dixon could determine the fate of Codey Herrmann, who murdered Aiia Maasarwe in chillingly similar circumstances.

The Crown has urged Justice Hollingworth to deliver to Herrmann the same prison term handed to Todd – life behind bars – and has highlighted the similarities between the cases.

However, if Todd is successful with his appeal, that would likely spark an appeal from Herrmann’s lawyers.

Tim Marsh is the defence barrister.

Patrick Bourke is the State Prosecutor.

Herrmann and Todd were both young men with no prior convictions who ambushed women walking alone at night.

Both men knocked their victims to the ground and quickly subdued them with force, raping their victims before killing them.

After the attack, Todd went home and watched violent *advertiser censored* for his own gratification. Herrmann set fire to his victim's body in an attempt to destroy the evidence of his crimes.

Earlier, Mr Bourke told the court the overwhelming features of the case were Herrmann’s anger and his hatred of the world, “and in particular women”.

The randomness of the attack on Ms Maasarwe, he said, struck at the liberty of all women “to do no more than walk down the street in peace and safety”.

He rejected the link between Herrmann’s personality disorder diagnosis and his actions.

“Essentially what we have on the evidence is an offender who is angry, has a hatred, walking the streets … and [who] acted on that anger.”

Neither Herrmann, his legal team, nor police had been able to explain why he savagely attacked Ms Maasarwe.

“The simple fact of the personality disorder does not fill that hole,” Mr Bourke said.

Last edited:
Just to get the sequence right here.

Tim Marsh is defending Herrmann on the murder, rape, assault, theft, etc.

Tim Marsh defended Jaymes Todd, on a similar charge, similar circumstances.

Todd got a life sentence, 35 years before being able to apply for parole.

Todd, having since engaged a private barrister ( having used Legal Aid for his trial , that's your taxes and mine ) immediately appealed the sentence.

That appeal has come up crash bang in the middle of the current hearing of this repulsive crime and criminal.

Tim Marsh used a different tactic with Herrmann than what he used for Todd.

'
Justice Hollingworth suggested Todd’s crimes were more serious, in part because Todd had stalked Ms Dixon for an hour through the city before he ambushed her in Princes Park.

She challenged Mr Bourke to justify why Herrmann's offences fell into the worst possible category of offences, like Todd's.

The community may be disturbed by courts “grading” rapes or murders, Justice Hollingworth said. “That is, unfortunately, what the law requires us to do.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back