Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

Anyone else notice or remember the big blunder Dellen made while acting as his own "clever lawyer" ...... (I paraphrase the following from memory)

At the Laura B. trial the detective had presented all the "Red Bag Evidence" ... (Laura's red bag with her name tag on it ) ... (later found at Smitch's I think)

When Dellen was "cross examining" the detective he pointed out an error the cop had made ..... the cop had implied that the bag was with Laura when she died at Millard's house .

But Dellen (smugly) wanted to let the (dumb) cop know he was mistaken . Dellen stated that he knew for sure the red bag was not there with Laura when she died ...... !!!!!

Most people didnt catch it at first ..... but the judge did , and he raised his eyebrows , then glanced at the jury and saw at least one of them got it too.

In other words Dellen pretty much confessed that he was there when Laura died , and the red bag was somewhere else .

A reporter I heard discussing it (on AM talk radio) said he didnt think Dellen even realized his huge blunder.

In Dellen's mind he was outsmarting the cop .
Thanks! I didn't catch that at all- but I remember the conversation around the bag. Oh what a genius the guy is!

Matou, I see you are a regular with the forums re DM, LB etc. i am reaching out to you with hopes that you can help me link up with the Wayne Millard trial. Have tried several ways without success. Thank you in advance.

Matou, I see you are a regular with the forums re DM, LB etc. i am reaching out to you with hopes that you can help me link up with the Wayne Millard trial. Have tried several ways without success. Thank you in advance.
Hi not Matou
But the last post on the page before this had the thread link for you. I am going to try quote it and tag you to see if that helps :)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/laura-babcock-death-certificate-1.5247168

For months, [LB's mother] sat in a courtroom listening to the horrifying details of her daughter's murder at the hands of convicted killers Dellen Millard and Mark Smich.

Now, in a bizarre turn of events, she's being forced to go to court to convince Ontario's Office of the Chief Coroner that her daughter Laura is truly dead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/laura-babcock-death-certificate-1.5247168

For months, [LB's mother] sat in a courtroom listening to the horrifying details of her daughter's murder at the hands of convicted killers Dellen Millard and Mark Smich.

Now, in a bizarre turn of events, she's being forced to go to court to convince Ontario's Office of the Chief Coroner that her daughter Laura is truly dead.

I just saw this and came straight here. Cause her poor family hasn't been through enough. At least now Laura's case will be a harbinger of change in law/policies.

I just saw this and came straight here. Cause her poor family hasn't been through enough. At least now Laura's case will be a harbinger of change in law/policies.
Totally outrageous! As you stated...as if this family has not been through enough. Hopefully, there is positive change in the policies for this and other families. The trauma and other emotional turmoil just doesn’t seem to stop for this family.

‘No body, no parole’: How the killing of an elderly couple led to the push for a new Canadian law | The Star
  • Murder and manslaughter convictions without a body are rare. The McCann case is one of just a handful like it in Canada, reminiscent of the 2017 convictions of Dellen Millard and Mark Smich. The two were sentenced to life in prison for the death of Toronto woman Laura Babcock. Like the McCanns, her body was never found.
  • ...an Alberta MP [DL] wants to make it harder for people like Vader, Millard and Smich to obtain parole.
  • [DL] won the byelection, promising to fight for a Canadian “no body, no parole” law, and introduced Bill C-437, or McCanns’ Law, in March 2019. The process was interrupted by the federal election, but [DL], newly re-elected, hopes to reintroduce the bill during the new session of Parliament.

‘No body, no parole’: How the killing of an elderly couple led to the push for a new Canadian law | The Star
  • Murder and manslaughter convictions without a body are rare. The McCann case is one of just a handful like it in Canada, reminiscent of the 2017 convictions of Dellen Millard and Mark Smich. The two were sentenced to life in prison for the death of Toronto woman Laura Babcock. Like the McCanns, her body was never found.
  • ...an Alberta MP [DL] wants to make it harder for people like Vader, Millard and Smich to obtain parole.
  • [DL] won the byelection, promising to fight for a Canadian “no body, no parole” law, and introduced Bill C-437, or McCanns’ Law, in March 2019. The process was interrupted by the federal election, but [DL], newly re-elected, hopes to reintroduce the bill during the new session of Parliament.

It's a tough call. I understand the sentiment, but I don't support it. Such a law would make it impossible for innocent people who were convicted, or those who make plea deals to ever leave prison.

O/T but slightly related perhaps:

Man confesses 20 years later to killing wife, throwing her into ocean
In the transcript, Bierenbaum admitted he strangled Katz before taking flight.
"I opened the door and then took her body out of the airplane over the ocean,” the transcript said, according to ABC.

bbm
-.-.-

How playboy heir to millions was exposed as serial killer who ate dog biscuits
During the trial for Babcock's murder, prosecutors alleged that Millard killed Babcock to get out of the love triangle and her remains have never been recovered. Millard and Smich were again sentenced to life in prison, with the parole ineligibility period of 25 years to be served consecutively with that of the previous 25-year sentence.

What, if DM as a pilot did something similar with LB's body? I wonder, if LE ever searched his helicopter/plane for Laura's DNA or searched for it only in cars?

O/T but slightly related perhaps:

Man confesses 20 years later to killing wife, throwing her into ocean
In the transcript, Bierenbaum admitted he strangled Katz before taking flight.
"I opened the door and then took her body out of the airplane over the ocean,” the transcript said, according to ABC.

bbm
-.-.-

How playboy heir to millions was exposed as serial killer who ate dog biscuits
During the trial for Babcock's murder, prosecutors alleged that Millard killed Babcock to get out of the love triangle and her remains have never been recovered. Millard and Smich were again sentenced to life in prison, with the parole ineligibility period of 25 years to be served consecutively with that of the previous 25-year sentence.

What, if DM as a pilot did something similar with LB's body? I wonder, if LE ever searched his helicopter/plane for Laura's DNA or searched for it only in cars?

I recently learned of that Bierenbaum case... fascinating. But in the case of Laura, it is believed she was cremated the same way Tim Bosma was.

Dreadful details come fast and furious on Day 1 of trial into Laura Babcock's murder: DiManno

It is believed Laura Babcock was cremated inside a hangar at Millard’s rural property near Kitchener.

The jury was shown photos of Smich standing in front of “The Eliminator” and of an object wrapped in a long blue tarp — taken on Millard’s phone July 4 — the inference that Laura’s 5-foot-10 body was contained within.

During the opening, the jury also watched a short segment from a video (not yet introduced into evidence) which court was told was made in September of 2012, depicting Smich performing a rap song. But the lyrics, said Cameron, had been composed July 23 on an iPad which had recently been loaned to Laura by an ex-boyfriend.

The lyrics:

The started off all skin and bone,

Now the lay on some ashy stone.

Last time I saw her’s outside the home

And if you go swimming you can find her phone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back