GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t care if she was tired or not. Someone says she was tired. Someone says she was distracted by texting. I just put myself in this poor man’s shoes. He is in his house. His castle, you know. By law, he has the right to shoot the intruder. Instead, some mindless idiot parks at the wrong floor, then takes a wrong apartment for her own and shoots the tenant. She’s off duty, so common rules apply to her. Including unwarranted use of the gun. Such an ugly story.

I was commenting in reply to the civil lawsuit against Dallas PD. The fact that AG blamed working a 13 hour shift, for her "exhaustion" could be a potential liability.

Personally, I think that it was a pitiful excuse. But, does it give the city liability?

Kinda disappointed in the sentence, but the jury rules. As for Guyger, it's time for her to become humble and take orders from someone else. She's not running anything anymore. When someone tells her to show hands, she will mind. Time to wake up and time to go to bed, lights out. I'm happy she got prison time, too bad it won't last longer. Had the roles been reversed and anyone else committed a crime such as this, they would never leave prison. She'll still have time to hook up with someone else's husband(dog) and maybe even luck out and snag an unmarried or divorced man. She took any experiences Botham might have had away forever. This was not justice but I do like the idea of Guyger wearing white instead of blue even if it is for a short time.
BBM

Agreed.
She'll most likely not do the full ten, so Botham's family has been incredibly gracious considering there is a lighter sentence then was requested.
Much admiration for them !
I'll admit right now I couldn't hug a person who murdered my sibling.

I see that a few are bothered by the judge’s actions. I’m honestly not sure what to make of it. I have never seen a judge display such emotion throughout a trial before. The judge was choked up before she read the sentence and during her final words to the jury. So it doesn’t surprise me that she went the extra mile with AG. I guess she’s also Christian and felt forgiving towards AG. And felt she wasn’t beyond redemption.

Between the officer stroking AG’s hair and the judge giving her a sermon I don’t know what to think. Never seen anything like this before. But maybe I’m just too jaded in my agnostic/secular world. And I’m too used to a clinical detached attitude by most players in the justice system.

I was commenting in reply to the civil lawsuit against Dallas PD. The fact that AG blamed working a 13 hour shift, for her "exhaustion" could be a potential liability.

Personally, I think that it was a pitiful excuse. But, does it give the city liability?
Especially since she planned to go to the gym and work out after she got home. How exhausted could she have been?

I see that a few are bothered by the judge’s actions. I’m honestly not sure what to make of it. I have never seen a judge display such emotion throughout a trial before. The judge was choked up before she read the sentence and during her final words to the jury. So it doesn’t surprise me that she went the extra mile with AG. I guess she’s also Christian and felt forgiving towards AG. And felt she wasn’t beyond redemption.

Between the officer stroking AG’s hair and the judge giving her a sermon I don’t know what to think. Never seen anything like this before. But maybe I’m just too jaded in my agnostic/secular world. And I’m too used to a clinical detached attitude by most players in the justice system.

You're not jaded. It's not appropriate conduct. But she's a cop. So.

Ugh where's Hermus??? Bring Hermus!!!

ETA: I really hate it when they split up the closings between two attorneys. They did that on the trial I was a juror on and it threw me off. I think the main atty should do the whole closing. Especially on such an important case. I really appreciate the Juan Martinez style. Or just two attys with one being the clear lead. The lead should do all the arguments.

So prosecutions says sentence based on texts?
No one wins as was said before.. I did feel for her mum on stand. She looked so broken

I felt so sad for
I've followed a lot of cases and seen a lot of judges. I've never seen a judge as amazing as she is. She made a lasting impression. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I have never seen a trial quite like this-- the judge is amazing- very unique- very
authentic--- she allowed the world to see her show emotions: I have never seen a judge look and act anything but stoic. This was a unique case: probably (hopefully) will never see another like it. I think the conviction of murder and the sentence of ten
years was a message from the jury: You committed murder but we believe you are
redeemable and we are going to give you a second chance. Hopefully you will have
learned a very hard lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think that will absolutely be one of many arguments.

Judge Tammy allowed him to hug Amber, he said he loves her as a person and he didn’t want to say this in front of his family, but that he didn’t even want her to go to jail. He believed Botham wouldn’t want her to go to jail either, just to give her life to Christ would be enough. Then they hugged for a long time, Amber walking up looked very sorry and remorseful and like she wanted to hug him and just say how sorry she was. She didn’t mean all this.
Hug

I think a nice moment that we don’t often see in a courtroom.

Wow what a wonderful person he is. The highest level of compassion and class. Just saw this on our local news in Michigan.

You're not jaded. It's not appropriate conduct. But she's a cop. So.
I’m not sure what is appropriate or not, but I thought it was a kind act of grace. I don’t believe the judges grace kept her from being fair and just, and I hope that if I’m ever a citizen at the mercy of a courtroom, someone like her is presiding.

“I feel like we have a dog bite with the murder conviction, but the dog has no teeth," Dr. Frederick Haynes said of Guyger's 10-year sentence.

“If we can’t get justice there won’t be no Texas OU game, there won’t be a State Fair, I’ll shut the whole thing down,” activist Domonique Alexander told the crowd.

They then moved to march toward the West End and to Dealey Plaza and the Omni Hotel, chanting "No justice! No peace!"

“We are marching tonight, we are marching in the streets (of Dallas) tonight. So I hope your feet, your legs, your everything is ready tonight" Alexander said.

An arrest was made at the protest late Wednesday night.

Meanwhile, at the same time at the Dallas West Church of Christ, the family of Botham Jean spoke at a prayer service for their son.

Bertram Jean, Botham's father, said that his other son Brandt's expression of faith and forgiveness toward Amber Guyger during a victim impact statement in court Wednesday did not surprise him.

"It's the way he was raised," he said of his son.

Botham's mother Allison Jean also spoke at the prayer service. She said that forgiveness as Christians is healing, but there are consequences for actions and the suffering her family has felt must not go unnoticed.

"That 10 years in prison is 10 years for her reflection and for her to change her life," she said.

"There's much more that needs to be done by the city of Dallas," she said to a crowd of "amens." "The corruption that we saw during this process must stop."

"Because after now, I leave Dallas," she said. "But you live in Dallas, and it must stop for everyone."

"There's gotta be a better day, and that better day starts with each and every one of us," Jean continued.

Wednesday night at the prayer service, Allison Jean said that whether she had found it in herself to forgive Guyger is between her and God. "God knows my heart," she said.
Protests and prayers Wednesday night in the wake of Amber Guyger sentence

The trial is over, the jury rendered their verdict and the jury imposed their sentence. The judge’s actions after sentencing were certainly not typical, but was she not fair and impartial during the trial? Asking sincerely as I wasn’t able to watch much of it.

I assume she was. I meant IMO it’s not a good look before, during or after a trial and handing her a bible personally blows my mind. She could have went out of the cameras sight and shared that seemingly compassionate moment.

The demonstrators Wednesday night sometimes blocked traffic on heavily traveled streets outside the courts building where Amber Guyger was sentenced and through the western section of downtown.

One woman was taken into custody after it appeared she didn’t follow police orders to clear the street and move to the sidewalk.

About 30 protesters chanted “No justice, no peace; no racist police” and “Amber alert!” as they marched through the streets surrounded by up to a dozen police officers, some in riot gear.

Around 20 other demonstrators remained outside the courts building and jail.

As a police helicopter circled overhead, officers tried to keep the marchers on the sidewalks and out of the paths of cars.

The video of the statement was shown at the Dallas West Church of Christ, where the Jean family gathered to worship Wednesday night.

When the video showed the 18-year-old embrace Guyger in a gesture of forgiveness and healing, the congregation broke into applause and “amens.” Some cried openly.
The Latest: Marchers protest Guyger 10-year murder sentence

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads