GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on board with those who see the Judges behaviour as completely inappropriate.

It's all very well to say the justice system should be more compassionate. I can get behind that. But the message this sends in the context of US police shootings and the background of this case is just all wrong.

I believe she wished victim had the gun so she could justify her shooting. Wished he had the gun so she could perceive him as an armed burglar... (and certainly not so he could shoot her).
I was frankly surprised she didn’t have a ‘drop’ gun.

I am on board with those who see the Judges behaviour as completely inappropriate.

It's all very well to say the justice system should be more compassionate. I can get behind that. But the message this sends in the context of US police shootings and the background of this case is just all wrong.

Exactly. One of the female bailiffs was caressing her hair as the verdict was read which seems so strangely weird to me too.

Exactly. One of the female bailiffs was caressing her hair as the verdict was read which seems so strangely weird to me too.

I saw a post from a deputy that the female officer was told to check Amber Guyger's hair for any sharp objects she could use to harm herself. This was after she was convicted of murder.

This has turned very nasty, very quickly. Some awful comments directed at Brandt Jean particularly on Twitter. I am concerned for him. I understand some of the points being made; I don't think her sentence was long enough, I think she has received favourable treatment and I think there is probably corruption within Dallas PD that needs cleaning up but that doesn't excuse hatred towards this young man.

I swear 15 years ago when I was growing up we just didn't hate each other this much, I despair sometimes. I think there are conversations to be had about how we have ended up here but this thread is not the place to have them.

It's not often that I feel so deeply moved by a person as I have by Botham Jean, there won't be a day when his name won't be on my lips.

The light he brought to this world is not ready to go out. Shine on, Bo. xxxx

Have skipped most of the posts here since sentencing... But just to add my 2 cents. 10 years is a bit shorter than I thought. But the main thing is, AG is now a convicted murderer, going to be locked up for a long time. I hope she is finally going to learn a thing or two about life.

Whatever the length of imprisonment, it is still a moral victory in that sense.

Have skipped most of the posts here since sentencing... But just to add my 2 cents. 10 years is a bit shorter than I thought. But the main thing is, AG is now a convicted murderer, going to be locked up for a long time. I hope she is finally going to learn a thing or two about life.

Whatever the length of imprisonment, it is still a moral victory in that sense.
You make a great point IMO. One has to wonder why the Texas sentence for murder is 5 to 99 years. Under what circumstances would murder rate a 5 year sentence? I think we could imagine a 99 year sentence. At any rate, the jury has decided.

Why is it "not a good look"? AG isn't some psychopath. It was a dreadful and deadly mistake. She's not a danger to anyone. Ten years is a LONG time, in spite of those who think otherwise. In what universe is it bad for a human being (the judge) to exhibit compassion in such an instance? Why are we (humans) even born if not to live up to the highest spiritual principals?

I didn't watch this trial. Just caught bits of news here and there. Came here and read the last two or three pages so started watching the sentencing. I don't see any "justice" here and I'm so dissatisfied with our system. Prison is for two things: to remove the dangerous and revenge/punishment. She isn't dangerous and this sentence accomplishes nothing. It's not enough for the vengeful and too much for someone who made a tragic mistake. Nothing can make any of it right or bring back Mr Jean. IMHO, a better sentence would have been 10 years of house arrest with community service and allowing her to work. I base that on her not being a danger, making a mistake, being remorseful and her reputation as being a giving, thoughtful and helpful person to others. I'm sure that won't be a popular opinion here.

I respect your opinion: i agree she is not dangerous- she is not a serial killer or a psychopath, but i feel she did deserve some prison time for what she did; she did lie during her testimony about the details of the shooting: for example, the warrant states that Botham immediately confronted her: we know that is not true: she testified Botham was coming at her: we know that is not true because of the testimony of the ME about the trajectory of the bullet. She would have been better off telling the truth. That said, she should be out in 5 years. Does anyone know what actually being in prison is like for even one day? Many years ago i was hauled to jail for parking tickets: i was there for a few hours before my boss got me out of there: just one or two hours in a jail cell is beyond hell-ish. She will spend at least five years in prison-- my guess is that she will have to be isolated because she is a cop. This is a very unusual case and we have seen unusual things. I think Botham Jean's brother is an amazing young man, as is the judge in this case. I don't expect to see anything like their behavior in any other trial.

Last edited:
I assume she was. I meant IMO it’s not a good look before, during or after a trial and handing her a bible personally blows my mind. She could have went out of the cameras sight and shared that seemingly compassionate moment.
True. Although the proceedings had ended, I don't know why that had to happen in the court room.

I am watching FNN this morning, and they just showed the footage of Bo's brother when he was on the stand.

I hadn't had time before to view it here.

When he asked the judge could he hug the defendant it instantly brought tears to my eyes.

Imo, it was obvious both needed that warm meaningful genuine hug between the two.

It profoundly showed me once again how desperately our society needs way more kindness, and inclusiveness in it, rather than all of those who only seem to seek to divide us each, and every single day.

Then when I saw he had given her a bible it affected me emotionally even more, if possible.

While I believed from day one she must be held accountable, and I'm so glad she was, I was shocked with how Bo's brother showed such compassion, and Christian love.

Since finally we have real prison reform now, we realize more, and more, just how it's was badly needed, even though it painfully shows it took way too long to correct such a terrible wrong.

I've already seen many who have been released, and have heard their heartfelt stories of success.. with them now paying it forward to help others to have their own bright promising new beginnings.

I do believe these profound selfless acts he has shown AG will have more impact on her, and how she goes forward to be a much better person.

It also shows me that Bo's legacy will always go on ..for when we see his own brother... Bo will be right there for all to see.

Jmho

The judge could’ve done what she did off camera. She knew cameras were there and she had to know the optics wouldn’t look good given the type of case this was. She had to have known there would be members of the community who would see the sentence as a betrayal. She had to know that! And she had to know her embrace of AG itself would be seen as betrayal. It’s simply not her role. If she had wanted to give a statement of healing for ALL from the bench it would’ve been more appropriate.

Unless it is reported that she does this on a regular basis then she was out of line. And now I’m wondering if it was a show for her buddies at the Dallas Police Association who have endorsed her for re-election?

The judge could’ve done what she did off camera. She knew cameras were there and she had to know the optics wouldn’t look good given the type of case this was. She had to have known there would be members of the community who would see the sentence as a betrayal. She had to know that! And she had to know her embrace of AG itself would be seen as betrayal. It’s simply not her role. If she had wanted to give a statement of healing for ALL from the bench it would’ve been more appropriate.

Unless it is reported that she does this on a regular basis then she was out of line. And now I’m wondering if it was a show for her buddies at the Dallas Police Association who have endorsed her for re-election?

I think Judge Kemp was emotional throughout the trial: I think we all saw her take lots of deep breaths throughout the trial. I think she is an authentic and emotional person and she let it show. Are we so jaded that a show of emotions from a judge causes such skepticism? I don't believe she did for any purpose related to re-election.

On-camera was odd. She could have done all of that behind the scenes. I think some of the family was still in the courtroom (some of whom were still in shock from sentencing). Perhaps she was overcome after watching Bo's brother speak? I've never seen a more emotional judge than this one.

While I've never gone to the wrong apartment, I've mistaken other vehicles for my own. Had I opened the mistaken car door, I believe I would know before sitting down that it's not my vehicle.

Just the same, I can certainly understand going to the wrong apartment, and even attempting to unlock the wrong door -- but once the door is open (pushed door open in this case), how do you not recognize this is not your home? It's not like this was a hotel room with identical furnishings.

MOO
I didn’t follow this case. But after the verdict came in it was discussed at work yesterday. This was my first thought. Several times I have mistakenly walked into the wrong patient’s room, which for the most part, all rooms look the same, but immediately upon entering I have always recognized i’m In the wrong room and have never treated the wrong patient as a result. I work the same long shifts. I can’t understand how once she entered the apartment she didn’t realize it wasn’t her belongings surrounding her. Particularly the couch he was on. It would literally take a split second to realize you are in the wrong place. MOO

This has turned very nasty, very quickly. Some awful comments directed at Brandt Jean particularly on Twitter. I am concerned for him. I understand some of the points being made; I don't think her sentence was long enough, I think she has received favourable treatment and I think there is probably corruption within Dallas PD that needs cleaning up but that doesn't excuse hatred towards this young man.

I swear 15 years ago when I was growing up we just didn't hate each other this much, I despair sometimes. I think there are conversations to be had about how we have ended up here but this thread is not the place to have them.

It's not often that I feel so deeply moved by a person as I have by Botham Jean, there won't be a day when his name won't be on my lips.

The light he brought to this world is not ready to go out. Shine on, Bo. xxxx

Waking up to this bit of news. Nasty comments directed at Brandt Jean on twitter? I can't say I'm surprised, which is sad.

I wish I knew where all this hate and vitriol came from. We didn't have it when I grew up, and I'm a lot older than you.

Everything is personal to everyone nowadays, which is concerning. There's no coping, no prioritizing, just heightened angst over everything these days were counselors needs to be on the ready and safe spaces must be made accessible.

If the judge had embraced a young man who had just been convicted of killing a cop, I wonder how forgiving ppl would be? I wonder how forgiving ppl would be if a cop killer got 10 years? Cop killers get life typically. Just slapping a cop would get you 10 years probably. Accidentally hitting a cop during an altercation will get you charged with assaulting a PO. Are all those in favor of lighter sentences and forgiveness prepared to do so on cases that affect them and their loved LE buddies? I mean it’s so convenient to preach forgiveness and compassion from a detached place, isn’t it?

If the judge had embraced a young man who had just been convicted of killing a cop, I wonder how forgiving ppl would be? I wonder how forgiving ppl would be if a cop killer got 10 years? Cop killers get life typically. Just slapping a cop would get you 10 years probably. Accidentally hitting a cop during an altercation will get you charged with assaulting a PO. Are all those in favor of lighter sentences and forgiveness prepared to do so on cases that affect them and their loved LE buddies? I mean it’s so convenient to preach forgiveness and compassion from a detached place, isn’t it?

So you believe his own brother was speaking of his forgiveness, and compassion from a detached place?

I'm not sure I even understand what that means though.

Imo, anyone who has given compassion, and forgiveness doesn't do it from a detached place, but have done it in their own personal lives as well. Jmho

I dont judge Bo's beautiful mom for feeling the way she does since she isnt someone who is detached, nor do I judge his brother for his forgiveness who isn't detached either.

It shows each one of us are all totally unique individuals, and not mere clones in mass.

Jmho

Why is it "not a good look"? AG isn't some psychopath. It was a dreadful and deadly mistake. She's not a danger to anyone. Ten years is a LONG time, in spite of those who think otherwise. In what universe is it bad for a human being (the judge) to exhibit compassion in such an instance? Why are we (humans) even born if not to live up to the highest spiritual principals?

I didn't watch this trial. Just caught bits of news here and there. Came here and read the last two or three pages so started watching the sentencing. I don't see any "justice" here and I'm so dissatisfied with our system. Prison is for two things: to remove the dangerous and revenge/punishment. She isn't dangerous and this sentence accomplishes nothing. It's not enough for the vengeful and too much for someone who made a tragic mistake. Nothing can make any of it right or bring back Mr Jean. IMHO, a better sentence would have been 10 years of house arrest with community service and allowing her to work. I base that on her not being a danger, making a mistake, being remorseful and her reputation as being a giving, thoughtful and helpful person to others. I'm sure that won't be a popular opinion here.

May I ask why you say "she is not a danger to anyone". How do you know that? This is a woman who used deadly force against a total stranger...people make mistakes in terms of thinking they are in their apt. or at any spot...killing is not the answer. In fact if she was a danger to Botham she could be a danger to someone else. She needs way more than hugs (that might be a good start) and hopefully she will get the treatment she needs in prison...I think she will have it as easy as possible in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member