GUILTY SC - HT, 4, Johns Island, 13 Feb 2018 *Arrest*

Such an awful story, just tragic, that ends the best it could have in all ways!

So many things came together just right in this case for it to have such an ending. It still brings me to tears thinking about those railroad workers finding her and going back to that day.

I've followed this case from the beginning, and I always feel very emotional when I read about it. Everyone involved, from the parents to LE to the railroad workers to the Charleston community, and now the prosecutors and the judge, have all been an example of the very best of human nature. In one of the current articles (can't find the link) I read that in the mother's statement she said that her daughter's injuries from the SA had been so bad that she had required surgery, I hadn't heard that before and it was heartbreaking to hear. Thank God Evans will finally be put away for life.

I was just at a Starbucks reading yesterday's news coverage on my phone, when I realized that tears were streaming down my face.

Johns Island kidnapper booked back into Charleston Co. jail

According to jail records, Evans was booked at 10:22 p.m. on Friday night. The reason given is a “hold” by the U.S. Marshals Service. He has been given inmate number 0001055820.

He had previously been sent to a federal prison in Arizona after he was sentenced to three life sentences, but the ninth circuit solicitor’s office had expressed interest in still pursuing state-level charges against him.

Prosecutors said Evans attacked a Johns Island woman on Feb. 13, 2018, as she returned home with three of her children after dropping off two of her children at school.

Man serving life for Johns Island kidnapping given another life sentence for state-level charges

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - The man serving three life sentences in federal prison for a 2018 kidnapping on Johns Island was sentenced to another life term on Thursday morning for the state-level charges against him.

Formally, Evans received a 30-year sentence for first-degree criminal sexual conduct, life without parole for first-degree burglary, 30 years for kidnapping, 30 years for attempted murder and five years for possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

“My prayer, Thomas, is that through all of this you will be able to seek purpose and hope that you will be able to feel the fullness and immensity of God’s love for you," Todd said in court. "Both of our lives are forever changed because of your choices. I have made the choice to forgive you and move forward in the faith that our best days are still yet to come. Will you also choose to change and seek out love and joy instead of hatred?”

The judge then asked Evans why he did it.

“Drugs,” Evans replied.

Whatever happened to the ex-girlfriend Sharon Hayden? Was she ever found? Or did they ever find her body? Was he charged with murdering her? Details on that part were so sketchy and scarce.

ETA: just read this at the end of this article

State charges, called an insurance policy to keep kidnapper thomas evans behind bar

The other question surrounding this case is the location of Sharon Nannette Hayden. She was the 40-year-old girlfriend of Evans.

Hayden went missing in the Spartanburg area around the time of his crime spree. In court, Solicitor Wilson recounted for the judge the mysterious circumstances surrounding her disappearance. Evans told law enforcement officials that he killed Hayden shortly after getting out of prison.

He said he stabbed her.

"Police have followed up on that extensively. There has been no body recovered in the area where the defendant claimed."

However, police said Evans was found with some of Hayden's personal items. Wilson told the judge that there had been no contact with her or her family and no social media posts.

Investigators said she's believed to be dead even though her body has never been found.

Whatever happened to the ex-girlfriend Sharon Hayden? Was she ever found? Or did they ever find her body? Was he charged with murdering her? Details on that part were so sketchy and scarce.

ETA: just read this at the end of this article

State charges, called an insurance policy to keep kidnapper thomas evans behind bar

The other question surrounding this case is the location of Sharon Nannette Hayden. She was the 40-year-old girlfriend of Evans.

Hayden went missing in the Spartanburg area around the time of his crime spree. In court, Solicitor Wilson recounted for the judge the mysterious circumstances surrounding her disappearance. Evans told law enforcement officials that he killed Hayden shortly after getting out of prison.

He said he stabbed her.

"Police have followed up on that extensively. There has been no body recovered in the area where the defendant claimed."

However, police said Evans was found with some of Hayden's personal items. Wilson told the judge that there had been no contact with her or her family and no social media posts.

Investigators said she's believed to be dead even though her body has never been found.

Sharon is still missing. Here is her thread: SC - SC - Sharon Hayden, 39, Boiling Springs, Feb 2018

Johns Island parents sue law enforcement over daughter’s 2018 kidnapping

Johns Island parents sue law enforcement over daughter’s 2018 kidnapping

JOHNS ISLAND, S.C. (WCSC) - A woman who was brutally beaten inside her Johns Island home before her then 4-year-old girl was kidnapped and taken across state lines has sued multiple law enforcement agencies claiming they could have done more to catch the convicted kidnapper before it happened.

In the lawsuit filed last Friday in Charleston County, Brittany Todd and her husband claim five different South Carolina law enforcement agencies were all negligent and should have been able to catch Thomas Evans before the crime happened.

Evans had recently been released from prison on an armed robbery charge prior to beating Todd and kidnapping her daughter. She claims the Department of Corrections failed to provide Evans with appropriate mental health or addiction treatment before he was released.

The lawsuit also states Evans didn’t report to the Department of Probation and Parole within 24 hours of his release from jail and the department didn’t take steps to obtain a warrant for him.

Two days before the kidnapping Evans showed up in St. Stephen in his girlfriend’s car. The owner of the vehicle, 39-year old Sharon Hayden, could not be located at her Spartanburg County home and hasn’t been seen since.

Both Hayden’s mother and daughter have gone public with pleas to try and find her.

Todd claims in the lawsuit that the Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office didn’t investigate Hayden’s disappearance properly and didn’t list her as a missing person and Evans was not listed as a person of interest, the suit stated.
full article at link...

Agreed. Had Hayden's disappearance been taken seriously as a missing person case, Evans would have been detained -- he had her car! So many things fell through the cracks on this one. I don't think the lawsuit is frivolous at all.

Berkeley County deputies responded, questioned Evans and ran his identification through “their systems,” the suit claims.

Deputies found that Evans’ driver’s license was suspended and that the vehicle he was using belonged to Hayden, the suit contends.

Deputies tried to call Hayden and spoke to her mother, who told them that Evans was a person of interest in Hayden’s disappearance, the suit states.

Despite the factors at play, deputies did not detain Evans or investigate further, according to the suit.

Two days later, the assault and kidnapping on Johns Island occurred.

Wow! Just to think that this family would have been spared this terrible ordeal if only the right steps had been taken! I am glad the family looked into the reason that guy was on the loose and decided to do something about it. No amount of money can take away the damage and memories that poor mother and daughter will always have, but at least it might help With the medical bills… And I hope they are asking for something for pain and suffering as well!

Agreed. Had Hayden's disappearance been taken seriously as a missing person case, Evans would have been detained -- he had her car! So many things fell through the cracks on this one. I don't think the lawsuit is frivolous at all.

Berkeley County deputies responded, questioned Evans and ran his identification through “their systems,” the suit claims.

Deputies found that Evans’ driver’s license was suspended and that the vehicle he was using belonged to Hayden, the suit contends.

Deputies tried to call Hayden and spoke to her mother, who told them that Evans was a person of interest in Hayden’s disappearance, the suit states.

Despite the factors at play, deputies did not detain Evans or investigate further, according to the suit.

Two days later, the assault and kidnapping on Johns Island occurred.

I have followed this case since the beginning, I'm beyond words to express what I'm thinking.

This is just so tragic. What is so very tragic perhaps is a lawyer leading the family in thinking that they can sue the government for a mistake and taking the family through a quagmire for something that will never come to fruition.

I have followed this case since the beginning, I'm beyond words to express what I'm thinking.

This is just so tragic. What is so very tragic perhaps is a lawyer leading the family in thinking that they can sue the government for a mistake and taking the family through a quagmire for something that will never come to fruition.

It sounds like they have made a compelling case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back