Found Deceased OH - Benjamin 'Michael' Saylor, 29, Jackson County, 26 July 2019

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Michael Saylor, 30, last communicated with his family Friday, July 26 when Saylor texted his dad to tell him his truck broke down.

"Michael stated he would return to get his truck, but he was going swimming on Symmes Creek first," deputies stated in a press release.

However, family members found the truck and never heard from Saylor.

Deputies say the family is very worried about Saylor's well-being. "Michael's family also says that he had been paid a sum of money from his work just prior to his disappearance," investigators added.

Deputies describe him as having brown hair and blue eyes. He is 5'9" and about 180 pounds. Saylor was last known to have a beard. He also has several tattoos, including a logging truck on his right arm in honor of his late grandfather and a fish hook on top of his hand.

Family, law enforcement concerned for safety of missing man

Michael+Saylor+web1.jpg

For reference, more MSM (new info in parentheses):

Missing Endangered Adult, Have you Seen Him - Scioto Post (Michael turned 30 on July 29th)
Oak Hill man reported missing (Michael reportedly lives on Route 279 near Oak Hill)
Oh no, he was reported missing on his birthday. :(

On July 29, after not being able to contact his son for several days, his father reported him missing.

(From the second link in your post)

Although we don't know where in Symmes Creek he was swimming, it does go under Route 279: Google Maps

Michael Saylor, 30, last communicated with his family Friday, July 26 when Saylor texted his dad to tell him his truck broke down.

"Michael stated he would return to get his truck, but he was going swimming on Symmes Creek first," deputies stated in a press release.

However, family members found the truck and never heard from Saylor.

Deputies say the family is very worried about Saylor's well-being. "Michael's family also says that he had been paid a sum of money from his work just prior to his disappearance," investigators added.

Deputies describe him as having brown hair and blue eyes. He is 5'9" and about 180 pounds. Saylor was last known to have a beard. He also has several tattoos, including a logging truck on his right arm in honor of his late grandfather and a fish hook on top of his hand.

Family, law enforcement concerned for safety of missing man

Michael+Saylor+web1.jpg

RBBM

Is this a dangerous place to swim? Could MS have accidentally drowned?

If anyone is local to this area, maybe they can answer my question.

JMVHO.

ETA: Looking at @PommyMommy 's map, the water in Symmes Creek looks like a placid lake. I could be completely wrong . . .

Last edited:
A candlelight vigil for Michael is scheduled for next week:

https://thetelegramnews.com/Content/Default/Local-News/-3/83

Candlelight vigil set for missing local man, Michael Saylor

A candlelight vigil entitled “Bring Michael Home” will be conducted Saturday, Aug. 24, at 7 p.m. at Aetna Park in Oak Hill to “pray for the safe return of Michael Saylor.”

(Note that this is a little over half-way down the page, but it is doesn't require a password. I unlinked the article title because that requires a password)

I feel awful for his Dad :(

It doesn't sound likely that he relapsed and just dipped out for a while. Was he on his way home from work when his truck broke down? Was it verified that it really was inoperable? Have dive teams searched the water?

From the article:

michael_saylor_main_art_8d400d4bd199fe359de8ede5edee20eb.fit-760w.png

[...]

Investigators say Michael, who lives on State Route 279, was in the area of Erwin Road, CH & D, Dixon Road and SR 327, a mile or so from the AA truck stop off of SR 35.

Shortly after the text message to his dad, Michael’s phone was turned off.

[...]

Art told Dateline that Michael struggled his entire life with drug addiction. It began in high school. Art said his son was an A/B Honor Roll student, played varsity sports and “all he talked about was going to college.”

[...]

“He was doing really good,” Art said. “He was working. Making money. And we were spending a lot of time together. More time than we used to. It was good.”

[...]

The father/son duo grew closer as they also spent weekends fishing and deer hunting. Michael also has a two-year-old son, Maverick, who lives in Massachusetts. Michael and Maverick often FaceTime and the boy’s mother had planned to bring him to visit his father in August.

[...]

“I had a sick feeling that he had relapsed -- that he had overdosed,” Art said. “Something inside told me something was wrong.”

Art told Dateline he also worried that Michael had gotten into trouble with the crowd he was hanging out with. He said Michael had just been paid and he was afraid they did something terrible to Michael for the money.

[...]

"Michael has to be found to get the reward," Jackson County Sheriff Tedd Frazier said in a press release. “Anyone with information should contact the Jackson County Sheriff's Office and speak with Major Scott Conley or Investigator Rick Zinn.”

The reward was made possible through generous donations from the Bring Michael Home Candlelight Vigil, held on Saturday, August 24, according to investigators.

[...]

Noting:

To receive this reward, Frazier said that law enforcement must be taken to the physical location of Saylor. "Michael has to be found to get the reward," Jackson County Sheriff Frazier said.
They've had plenty of time to search his phone. I think they probably have a good idea of what's happened and who could be involved imo. As a reference for anyone familiar with the Rhoden murders, this is the next county over from Pike county. Same Appalachian culture, land is similar. Some farmland but lots of woods, hollows and ridges. Also a lot of wells no longer in use since county water came through the area. The truck stop has lots of traffic from local and interstate.

OCT 8, 2019
UPDATE | Reward up to $25K for missing man; family desperate for answers
It has been 74 days since a family has seen or heard from their loved one, and still, no answers as to where he is or what happened to him.

[...]

"Been hard, real hard," said Saylor's father. "Not just for me, but for the whole family. The not knowing, that's it."

[...]

"I mean, you wake up and that's all you think about," said Saylor's father. "Until I find Michael, I've just got to find him."

The Jackson County Sheriff's Office has been looking into leads and information coming into the office, however, it has not led to Saylor.

Saylor's family says they have also been driving around day in and day out looking for him, but so far, no luck.

[...]

"I want people to know I will find him," said Saylor's father. "I don't care what I have to do or how long I have to look. I will find my son. I'll never give up until I do."

Saylor is also a father. His young son was supposed to visit around the time he went missing, according to his family.

"Somebody knows where Michael is and I want them to know we wont give up. There is no worse feeling. It's something no parent should ever have to go through."

[...]

NOV 1, 2019
Jackson County Sheriff's Office

70289442_2787253054642907_1816564951943217152_n.jpg

If you will be hunting in the Jackson County (Ohio) and surrounding areas, please take notice that we are in search of Micheal Saylor.

If while you are out in the woods or near the lakes, ponds, or swamps, if anything looks abnormal or suspicious, immediately contact the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office. We need to find this gentleman for his family.

Call the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office at 740-286-6464.

Benjamin “Michael” Saylor, 29, last communicated with his family on July 26, 2019, via text message when his truck broke down. Investigators say Michael, who lives in Oak Hill, Ohio, was in the area of Erwin Road, CH & D, Dixon Road and SR 327, a mile or so from the AA truck stop off of SR 35. Shortly after the text message to his dad, Michael’s phone was turned off. Days passed without a word from Michael.

On July 29, Michael’s 30th birthday, friends and family filled his Facebook page with birthday messages. No response from Michael.

Authorities said family members located his truck, but Michael was nowhere to be found. The Jackson County Sheriff's Office continues to search for Michael’s whereabouts and have been following numerous tips.

A $25,000 reward is being offered for information that leads authorities directly to Michael’s location. Michael has brown hair and blue eyes. He is 5’9” tall and weighs 180 pounds. He was last known to have a beard. He has a tattoo honoring his late grandfather on his right arm of a logging truck. He also has a tattoo of a fish hook on the top of his hand.

Six years of Dateline's Missing in America: 134 still missing

benjamin_michael_saylor_92f742dbbdf17d8df26288a3f19c8e61.fit-760w.png

$50K reward offered in missing person case - Gallipolis Daily Tribune

Jan 7th, 2020

JACKSON, Ohio — A $50,000 reward is now being offered in regards to a missing man’s whereabouts.

According to a press release from the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, “An Oak Hill family struggled through the holidays wondering what happened to their loved one. A little boy missed his father. The Saylor family want answers and they know that there are individuals that know what happened to Benjamin ‘Michael’ Saylor but have not come forward. The Saylor family want peace of mind in the new year and are hoping that the now $50,000 reward will entice an individual to come forward with the answers they are seeking.”

The press release went on to state multiple law enforcement agencies are now involved with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office in their “exhaustive efforts to locate the whereabouts of Benjamin ‘Michael’ Saylor, an Oak Hill man who was last in contact with his family July 26. Authorities spent the last six months following numerous tips and leads, however information has not led to the location of Michael Saylor.”

A reward is being offered to the person or persons with information that leads authorities directly to the location of Saylor. In late August, a $10,000 reward was initially offered for information leading to the physical location of Saylor. The reward is now at $50,000.

“A $50,000 reward is being offered for the location Michael Saylor,” said Jackson County Sheriff Tedd Frazier. To receive this reward, Frazier said that law enforcement must be taken to the physical location of Saylor. “Michael has to be found to get the reward,” Sheriff Frazier said.

“Area law agencies have spent countless hours following leads, just to come up with dead ends. We’ve searched his last known location, and the locations of his known friends and acquaintances. We need the individual that knows where Michael is, to come forward to give this family the peace they deserve,” Frazier said. “We will not stop until Michael is found,” Frazier added.

Saylor last communicated with his family on Friday, July 26 via text message. Three days later, on his 30th birthday, Saylor was reported missing or endangered. Saylor’s family has not heard from him since July 26.

“This family deserves answers,” said Frazier.

Benjamin Michael Saylor, who is known to go by Michael Saylor, is a white male with brown hair and blue eyes. Saylor is 30 years old. He is 5’9”, weighing 180 pounds. Michael was last known to have a beard and has a tattoo honoring his late grandfather on his right arm of a logging truck and has a tattoo of a fishhook on top of his hand.

Anyone with information should contact the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office at 740-286-6464.

Information submitted by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.

Sadly, I think it’s was a relapse and he OD’d. I hope they find him

Possibility?:

The sheriff's office received a call from a father just before 11:30 a.m. stating that his children had discovered what they believe to be human bones in the area of CH & D Road, near Jackson.

The remains were sent to the Montgomery County Coroner's Office to determined the identity and cause of death.

"At this time, Investigators remain on the scene collecting any evidence that may assist in the determination of how the remains came to be at the location and what may have contributed to the death of the individual," Jackson County Coroner Dr. Alice Frazier said. "No other information will be released on this case until the DNA collected matches an identity and we will not be speculating on any possible identities," Frazier added.
Children discover possible human remains in Jackson County

Around 11 AM yesterday, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office was notified by a local parent who said his children discovered human bones while playing outside.

The sheriff’s office told 13 News the remains have not been identified at this time, and the report that they belonged to a missing Jackson County man by a local newspaper is inaccurate.

A portion of CH and D Road from Dixon Run Road to Erwin Road is still closed until further notice for investigation.

Jackson County Engineer Melissa Miller, at the request of Sheriff Frazier has closed a portion of CH and D Road from Dixon Run Road to Erwin Road for this investigation. “I am requesting that onlookers stay away from this area while the investigation is taking place,” Sheriff Frazier said.
Update: Human remains found in Ohio

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back