GUILTY KS - Andrew Finch, 28, killed by LE in 'swatting' prank, Wichita, 28 Dec 2017 *civil trial 2022*

I'm catching up on this case again, and found some additional articles from last year and early this year that I didn't see posted yet. Sharing.

Wired Magazine (Technology magazine) - It Started as an Online Gaming Prank. Then It Turned Deadly
Krebs on Security (Well-known IT Security blogger, former Washington Post reporter, who has also been a personal targetted victim of swatting for his research and exposes of criminal hackers): Calif. Man Pleads Guilty in Fatal Swatting Case, Faces 20+ Years in Prison — Krebs on Security and 3 Charged In Fatal Kansas ‘Swatting’ Attack — Krebs on Security. Here's another related article (1/25/19) of other arrests associated with people who hired Barriss to swat for them: Three Charged for Working With Serial Swatter — Krebs on Security. Interesting comments in those articles also.

“There are no words to express the toll that it’s taken,” Finch’s sister, Dominica Finch, told the Wichita Eagle.

She said her 18-year-old niece, Adelina, shot and killed herself in January, just over a year after witnessing her uncle’s death, the paper reported. Then Adelina's boyfriend, 20-year-old Jeremy “J.C.” Arnold, who discovered her body in the apartment they shared, also died in an apparent suicide, according to the paper.

“The involvement of my niece and how she was treated that night (when Andrew Finch died) has taken her life,” Dominica Finch told the Eagle. “The reaction to that has taken the life of another young man.”

As 'swatting' defendant is sentenced, victim's family tells of further tragedies 'directly related' to case

“There are no words to express the toll that it’s taken,” Finch’s sister, Dominica Finch, told the Wichita Eagle.

She said her 18-year-old niece, Adelina, shot and killed herself in January, just over a year after witnessing her uncle’s death, the paper reported. Then Adelina's boyfriend, 20-year-old Jeremy “J.C.” Arnold, who discovered her body in the apartment they shared, also died in an apparent suicide, according to the paper.

“The involvement of my niece and how she was treated that night (when Andrew Finch died) has taken her life,” Dominica Finch told the Eagle. “The reaction to that has taken the life of another young man.”

As 'swatting' defendant is sentenced, victim's family tells of further tragedies 'directly related' to case
Oohh my gosh I didn’t know about this. How heartbreaking!!

Oohh my gosh I didn’t know about this. How heartbreaking!!
I didn't either and when I saw it I thought I should post it. It is very heartbreaking! You never know how something will affect others. Just like the Stoneman shooting or the Sandy Hook shooting.

This incidence has definitely had a domino effect with people close to the crime. I pray this is the end of death associated with this crime. imo

"An Ohio teen [Casey S. Viner] who recruited a convicted serial “swatter” to fake a distress call that ended in the police shooting an innocent Kansas man in 2017 has been sentenced to 15 months in prison. "
Man Who Hired Deadly Swatting Gets 15 Months — Krebs on Security

Ohio Gamer Sentenced In Deadly Swatting Case
Thank you for posting this. I couldn't bring myself to give it a "like", because FIFTEEN MONTHS ARE THEY FREAKING KIDDING??!!!!! Three lives gone, a family shattered, not to mention the LE who were involved and the entire community.

Ugh. I'm very sad and disappointed about this sentence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back