IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oldest victim is his great-grandmother, the male victim is either the father or the stepfather, two of the babies are his siblings, and the other baby is his cousin. The other person who survived was his mom.
Based on last names, pretty sure male victim is a step father, not his biological father.

Yes. I was thinking the same thing. The 9 yr old was taken to the hospital along with his mother. She had to be quick to get to him and pull themselves to safety. I wonder where the fire instigated in location to the family members.
You are assuming she got him to safety. It could have been the other way around. He is accused of setting the fire intentionally, so presumably he didn't want to kill himself. Presumably he didn't want his mother to die either.

You are assuming she got him to safety. It could have been the other way around. He is accused of setting the fire intentionally, so presumably he didn't want to kill himself. Presumably he didn't want his mother to die either.
It's sadly possible that he didn't want his big new family around anymore. Maybe he just wanted his old life back, with just him and his mommy.

We've had young murderers since the conception of our nation. I got my bachelor's in American Studies and have read a lot of books like the Diary of Martha Ballard who was a colonial era midwife in Maine who wrote about things she observed and the historians then dig through news reports at the time and fleshed out what she said. Holy smokes. Another one is Wisconsin Death Trip, a grim little coffee table book compiling entries in the late 1890's from mental hospitals and news reports of the era (along with lots of photos). Horrible stories from only two areas in a limited time period. Filled with horrible stuff.

Seems there's many more murders by kids now but our population is exponentially larger.

Slightly OT, I read the Diary of Martha Ballard about 10 years ago. Wow, what a good book. She shares a lot of historic information about violent crime, murders, etc. from the Colonial era. Yes, there was just as much mental illness, crime, familial abuse, family annihilation, etc. back then as now.

Fantastic read, I need to find and re-read it again. I was just thinking about it a couple weeks ago...

Slightly OT, I read the Diary of Martha Ballard about 10 years ago. Wow, what a good book. She shares a lot of historic information about violent crime, murders, etc. from the Colonial era. Yes, there was just as much mental illness, crime, familial abuse, family annihilation, etc. back then as now.

Fantastic read, I need to find and re-read it again. I was just thinking about it a couple weeks ago...
Never heard of this.
Going to look now.

And yes, I agree this is not a new phenomenon.
The good old DM had an article about the 'truer' story of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
A bit different from the sanitized children's books.

As far as this nine yr. old; there were quite a few photos of the new babies and very few of him.
Also, new additions to a family take a tremendous amount of care, so maybe he felt left out ?
Throw a stepfather into the mix and it could've been a recipe for what happened ?

The owner of the trailer park said the stepfather had issues related to military service and was seeking help from the VA.

Child, 9, charged with murder in Goodfield fire - News - Journal Star - Peoria, IL

'Bless their hearts:' 3 children, 2 adults killed in Goodfield mobile home fire | Local News | pantagraph.com
“Anytime you lose a life, it’s a big deal, but to the people in this park, it’s heartfelt and hits real close to home,” he said. “I know the folks that were in there. Jason is a combat veteran and we would talk. I was never in combat, but I know just recently he was going to get help from the Veterans Administration. He was a quiet guy and never bothered anyone. He had a job at the local gas station for a while."

Rest in peace to the deceased. !!

Last edited:
I found an original article about the fire, it gives the names of the victims and also tells you who escaped the fire. Not sure if I could post it.
As long as it's msm.
Not that it will change anything.
Something was wrong at that house; or just terribly 'off' with the nine yr. old.
And not just the ordinary problems of kids that age with school and whatnot.
Eta : According to another poster, DCFS was involved previously but not related to the fire.
I like to think it was just the usual blended family issues... but what if the nine yr. old was already acting out , and there were warning signs ? :(

Imo.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know if this child had set fires previously. I will guess that he had. His school records probably show some learning disabilities. Does he lie frequently? Is he a bedwetter? Has he ever abused animals? Has he been prescribed medication for ADHD?

People seem to believe that children do not cognitively "understand" killing, or planning on killing. I believe that children do understand what "killing" means, and they do plan killing, they just don't usually take it to the next step of actually doing it.

Surrounding this child with a bunch of psychologists, social workers, and CPS workers who will "evaluate" him, is a joke. Their own bias will be part of the report. Few will actually admit that psychopaths are born, that psychopathy is hard wired, genetically. That isn't popular. And it is unlikely that a psychopath will change.

How did you find that book? Most people don't know about it.

It would be interesting to know if this child had set fires previously. I will guess that he had. His school records probably show some learning disabilities. Does he lie frequently? Is he a bedwetter? Has he ever abused animals? Has he been prescribed medication for ADHD?

People seem to believe that children do not cognitively "understand" killing, or planning on killing. I believe that children do understand what "killing" means, and they do plan killing, they just don't usually take it to the next step of actually doing it.

Surrounding this child with a bunch of psychologists, social workers, and CPS workers who will "evaluate" him, is a joke. Their own bias will be part of the report. Few will actually admit that psychopaths are born, that psychopathy is hard wired, genetically. That isn't popular. And it is unlikely that a psychopath will change.
*A little light reading as examples only. These are not specifically related to this 9 year old child.

Steven's behaviors were "predatory," his teacher said. Eventually, he was referred to a psychologist who determined that the behavior stemmed from callous-unemotional tendencies; these traits manifest themselves in different ways in different children, but callous-unemotional kids show little empathy for others or remorse for their own actions, and they are prone to violence. The traits are also part of a suite of characteristics together called psychopathy.
Can a Child Be a Psychopath?

upload_2019-10-9_21-46-4.jpeg
Amy in "Gone Girl" lacked empathy and remorse, like a psychopath.
YouTube
The researchers assessed 22 offenders convicted of violent crimes aged 22 to 60, and used the "Traumatic Experience Checklist" to analyse the level of childhood relational trauma they had experienced.
Both DNA and upbringing can determine whether a child will grow up to be a psychopath — here's how

Researchers shy away from calling children psychopaths; the term carries too much stigma, and too much determinism. They prefer to describe children like Samantha as having “callous and unemotional traits,” shorthand for a cluster of characteristics and behaviors, including a lack of empathy, remorse, or guilt; shallow emotions; aggression and even cruelty; and a seeming indifference to punishment.
Sound Cloud:
When Your Child Is A Psychopath - The Atlantic - Barbara Bradley Hagerty
Article link:
When Your Child Is a Psychopath

“On a scale from ‘not caring’ all the way to ‘totally controlling,’ most have parents who end up in the middle.
“Either they lived in a situation where no one cared, where the child is subjected to total control and must be submissive, or the child has been subjected to a neglectful parenting style.
https://nypost.com/2017/06/01/how-a-psychopath-is-made/

Last edited:
How did you find that book? Most people don't know about it.

It was back early in my breast cancer activism days and I think one of my friends who is a nurse recommended it. We were always (and still are) studying epidemiology and public health stats about women.

I think I found it at one of those old fashioned, small book stores or at a display a book store had set up at a women's health conference. This was "pre-Amazon" days.

ETA: Do yourself a favor and DON'T look up how they used to treat breast cancer in those days.

Mobile homes do burn rapidly. Mine caught on fire one night due to faulty wiring near the dryer. I woke up because the trash cans outside the home exploded and made it out with my daughter in time, although I did have to run past the flames. Home was totally gone in 20 minutes, or by the time the exceeding slow fire department got there.
They can tell if intentionally set a week in tops...I didn't realize how explosive the trash cans were until after I spoke to the fire marshal.

Interesting article you posted grandma. Thanks for that. I'm really curious as to what would make a 9 year old do something so horrible.

Mobile homes do burn rapidly. Mine caught on fire one night due to faulty wiring near the dryer. I woke up because the trash cans outside the home exploded and made it out with my daughter in time, although I did have to run past the flames. Home was totally gone in 20 minutes, or by the time the exceeding slow fire department got there.
They can tell if intentionally set a week in tops...I didn't realize how explosive the trash cans were until after I spoke to the fire marshal.

Interesting article you posted grandma. Thanks for that. I'm really curious as to what would make a 9 year old do something so horrible.

Maybe he didn't plan to kill anyone, and just was lighting a fire. Who knows? But I suspect that he had probably lit fires before. There are a lot of other things I could surmise about this child, but it would be speculation.

When I taught school, I would usually guess what the child's family was like...and almost 100% of the time, when I met the parents, or read a child's file, my guess was smack on.

It would be awfully hard to sleep at night with that 9 year old in the house. His mother says he is just a child that needs help, that may be but how would you ever sleep with him around. I was reading online last night. It said her parents lived across the street in the same trailer park. Her sister, who's daughter died in the fire lives with the parents. Her baby was spending the night that night. They would have to be very freaked out to have him in their trailer overnight ever again. MOO

Luciano: Mom recalls Goodfield inferno that killed five loved ones

"On the otherwise unremarkable night of April 6, Rose Alwood came over to spend time with her cousins, intending to stay overnight. Shortly before 11 p.m., Kathryn Murray was in her bedroom, while Daemeon and Ariel were asleep in their beds. Jason Wall was still awake as his fiancee headed to take a bath with Rose.

Just as Katie Alwood was about to step into the tub, she sniffed the air.

“I smelled something funny,” she says."
snip

"BOOM.
"An explosion blasted Katie Alwood into darkness. Thrown down and momentarily unconscious, she was revived as Jason Wall helped her to her feet. She says the furnace had exploded, and fire was spreading fast. Sooner than she could think, she was being ushered outside."

“Jason dragged me out,” she says. “I shouldn’t be here today.”

"Meanwhile, 9-year-old Kyle had fled the structure. He ran to his grandparents’ trailer next door."

Very detailed article, more at the link...

Wow. What happened. I found it. It's under his name and easy to locate.
There’s an interesting reference from one of the adults in the 2nd dancing video to a death that I assume happened not long before the video and he has a playlist named after that person with some sweet memorial videos others had posted. Would love to know more about his relationship to the person who died.

I agree that the knowledge of who is really Santa and the finality of death exist by age 9. I also agree he needs some in depth, residential help, counseling, etc.

I disagree with your thought of kids killing parents only occurs when “heavy abuse” is occurring. We have a 13yo son who has been hospitalized and is currently in weekly counseling. While he has never acted on it, he has admitted to homicidal thoughts. He is adopted and has a trauma background. However, he has experienced -0- abuse since coming to us at age 11 months. We don’t even spank!

I feel for you with your 13 year old. I know you are trying to do right by him. I think the perspective of the issues that some kids have going beyond "parenting" and being more complex can be lost when we (I) see a crime and feel so powerless in relation to the child's actions.

Luciano: Mom recalls Goodfield inferno that killed five loved ones

"BOOM.
"An explosion blasted Katie Alwood into darkness. Thrown down and momentarily unconscious, she was revived as Jason Wall helped her to her feet. She says the furnace had exploded, and fire was spreading fast. Sooner than she could think, she was being ushered outside."
Snipped for brevity

Wait, the furnace exploded ?
Sounds like mom thinks it was an accident.
Why is there a murder charge ?
I was expecting something like gas or lighter fluid to have been poured and a match struck.

Wow. What happened. I found it. It's under his name and easy to locate.
Okay. I lied. I cried. 10/22/18 & 3/28/19

Cumulative effect of all vids.

Perhaps unintended consequences of boy’s actions? He too will pay with his life forevermore. He doesn’t even know it yet - He inked a permanent tattooed black ugly scar upon his heart, mind and soul.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member