GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state attorney, GC, is unable to read properly her prepared closing arguments. She mumbled towards the end of every sentence. It appears she was not involved with preparing the slides. The slides do not illustrate what she was reading. The dichotomy between her mumbling and the importance of what is being said is heart breaking. It were as if she attempts to soften the stance of the State towards the accused criminals.
But, why?

You're incorrect.

I feel like the evidence speaks for itself. Some of you are disappointed with Cappleman’s closing, but she did manage to show the strong evidence and lay it out logically for the jury. I appreciated her calm, stable demeanor. She’s just not an animated person. Her style is different. There were a few moments where she was not as strong, but like I said - I was pleased with her presentation of the evidence.

Zangeneh can argue reasonable doubt. He can say state hasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt that his client was there for the murder or that he was involved in the conspiracy. He can pick and choose the parts of the evidence that favor that angle and stick to that.

But when he insults the jury's intelligence he's failed in his job. When he outright tries to mislead and misinterpret the evidence he's failed his job. He's doing Garcia no good by taking that tack. JMO.

Zangeneh can argue reasonable doubt. He can say state hasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt that his client was there for the murder or that he was involved in the conspiracy. He can pick and choose the parts of the evidence that favor that angle and stick to that.

But when he insults the jury's intelligence he's failed in his job. When he outright tries to mislead and misinterpret the evidence he's failed his job. He's doing Garcia no good by taking that tack. JMO.

I agree. His best tact would have been to emphasize the importance of requiring the State to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt and explain that his client's decision to not testify was both appropriate and crucial when the State has not proven its case (admittedly, a weak approach that almost certainly wouldn't work, but it would be better than this rambling review of miscellaneous points).

I feel like the evidence speaks for itself. Some of you are disappointed with Cappleman’s closing, but she did manage to show the strong evidence and lay it out logically for the jury. I appreciated her calm, stable demeanor. She’s just not an animated person. Her style is different. There were a few moments where she was not as strong, but like I said - I was pleased with her presentation of the evidence.
I didn't hear the whole thing but the parts I heard were well done. She effectively winnowed down the financial and cell phone evidence and told a clear story with the evidence.

WTXL ABC 27‏Verified account @abc27 30m30 minutes ago
MARKEL TRIAL UPDATE: Saam Zangeneh is now at the stand beginning his closing statement for Sigfredo Garcia. Zangeneh says Luis Rivera's testimonies are inconsistent and unreliable. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 30m30 minutes ago
Garcia's attorney goes right for Luis Rivera. "This is the Sigfredo Garcia house. The foundation of the house is Luis Rivera," Saam Zangeneh said. "He is the only person that tells you what he believes happened that day."

WTXL ABC 27‏Verified account @abc27 16m16 minutes ago
MARKEL TRIAL UPDATE: "A gangster killed Dan Markel. Luis Rivera killed Dan Markel." - Saam Zangeneh #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 16m16 minutes ago
Zangeneh: "The government’s theory is that they believe Luis Rivera when he said my client was the shooter. Do you think he would have gotten the deal he got if he’d said he was the shooter. A gangster killed Dan Markel. Luis Rivera killed Dan Markel."

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 11m11 minutes ago
Why would Garcia commit a murder for CHarlie Adelson, a guy he despises, Zangeneh said.

"Hates his guts in April. Hates his guts in July."

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 7m7 minutes ago
Zangeneh said Charlie Adelson is probably at home watching closing arguments.

"Live. In the comfort of his own home."

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 1m1 minute ago
It’s not like picking up milk or diapers, Garcia’s attorney says of notion he was hired by Magbanua, “Hey honey you wanna make $100,000 for killing someone you don’t know?”@WCTV

Last edited:
Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 2m2 minutes ago
Zangeneh attacking state’s theory. Wouldn’t Garcia have asked who’s paying for it? And why there wasn’t any money up front? “I guess it was COD ... “ @WCTV

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 37s37 seconds ago
“They’re painting a picture with missing pieces,” Zangeneh says of state’s murder for hire theory @WCTV

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 1m1 minute ago
..."I’m asking you to consider, do I feel comfortable convicting Sigfredo Garcia of a murder based on the evidence based, on the lack of physical evidence, based on the uncredible testimony of Luis Rivera and for someone my client despised"

Jada E. Williams‏ @JadaEWilliams 2m2 minutes ago
"Don't jump because the government says jump."- Saam Zangeneh, Sigfredo Garcia's attorney #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 21s21 seconds ago
..."People are chomping to get to the Adelsons and let me tell you rightfully so," Zangeneh said. "There is substantially more evidence against the Adelsons than there is against Sigfredo Garcia."

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 7m7 minutes ago
“I would venture to say there’s more evidence against the Adelsons than there is against Mr. Garcia,” defense attorney tells jury @WCTV

Julie Montanaro WCTV‏Verified account @JulieMontanaroW 7m7 minutes ago
“Don’t jump because the state says jump,” Zangeneh said. “Ask the right questions and do the right thing.” @WCTV

Karl Etters‏Verified account @KarlEtters 41s42 seconds ago
We're on break for lunch

'til 1:30

Last edited:
The prosecution’s case is very simple:

1) Luis Rivera, Sigfredo Garcia’s friend, confessed that he drove Garcia from Miami to Tallahassee to assassinate Dan Markel. Multiple videos support that assertion.

2) Luis Rivera, Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua got paid with $100,000, stapled in bundles of $1,000 in $100 bills. It is alleged that the money is from one or several members of the Adelson family, which are Markel’s former-in-laws.

3) Luis Rivera and multiple circumstantial evidences such as phone records indicate that Magbanua is the cog. KM organized the transfer of funds when payment was made.

4) Over time, staying around the financiers allowed Magbanua to make much more (valued at about $70,000 total) than the two retainers (valued at about $35,000 and $30,000 respectively).

It is alleged that KM is the one who made most of the total rewards, cash plus car plus breast augmentation plus monthly notes plus insurance premium for kids plus etc.

Why was the death penalty removed from KM’s case? Puzzling.

Now, she took the witness stand to assert “I know nothing!” The prosecutor fumbled multiple times in the process, as if she were overburdened. This sad story unravels such as a bad series B movie.

Let us wait and see. If the criminals get less than what are in the evidences, I blame the state attorney.

For breakfast, DeCoste consumed an extra vile of fetus blood. Sure his stash is limited to one a day, but his office mate is counting on him.

IMO- remember the day that Wendi’s lawyer threatened us on WS?

I can't imagine what it must be like in the various Adleson households right now. I wonder if they have prepared themselves for being arrested, and if so, what preparations were made.

They're all so narcissistic, it's probably just business as usual for them. Charlie is busy stapling his money, driving his Ferrari and looking for his 90th girlfriend.

The prosecution’s case is very simple:

1) Luis Rivera, Sigfredo Garcia’s friend, confessed that he drove Garcia from Miami to Tallahassee to assassinate Dan Markel. Multiple videos support that assertion.

2) Luis Rivera, Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua got paid with $100,000, stapled in bundles of $1,000 in $100 bills. It is alleged that the money is from one or several members of the Adelson family, which are Markel’s former-in-laws.

3) Luis Rivera and multiple circumstantial evidences such as phone records indicate that Magbanua is the cog. KM organized the transfer of funds when payment was made.

4) Over time, staying around the financiers allowed Magbanua to make much more (valued at about $70,000 total) than the two retainers (valued at about $35,000 and $30,000 respectively).

It is alleged that KM is the one who made most of the total rewards, cash plus car plus breast augmentation plus monthly notes plus insurance premium for kids plus etc.

Why was the death penalty removed from KM’s case? Puzzling.

Now, she took the witness stand to assert “I know nothing!” The prosecutor fumbled multiple times in the process, as if she were overburdened. This sad story unravels such as a bad series B movie.

Let us wait and see. If the criminals get less than what are in the evidences, I blame the state attorney.

"Fanciful fiction" and "Federal Bureau of Imagination" It is easy to see with the play of words, who is running this Pretrial for CA. From the words of AC/DC. "Money Talks."
Regarding the death penalty...the Prosecution may have considered the children of SG/KM in their final decision and the fact SG who beyond a reasonable doubt in their minds was allegedly the trigger man. IMO.

"Fanciful fiction" and "Federal Bureau of Imagination" It is easy to see with the play of words, who is running this Pretrial for CA. From the words of AC/DC. "Money Talks."
Regarding the death penalty...the Prosecution may have considered the children of SG/KM in their final decision and the fact SG who beyond a reasonable doubt in their minds was allegedly the trigger man. IMO.

I also think a lot of people aren't comfortable with the death penalty for someone who wasn't the actual trigger person. I'd have a tough time with that as a juror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member