VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

Nobody would have been worrying about DNA in 1976. It wasn't a thing until the late 1980s.

I agree, but the Israels' statement to the press that Robert "came to visit in 1976" wasn't given until 2015.

For whatever reason, the Middlebury police went into action in 2014 or 2015 searching the Robbins Crossroad property (or vicinity) in Ripton; if anyone was going to start getting nervous about DNA (or remains in general), that seems to have been the timepoint, at least in recent history.

Well I mean Lynne has dentals available but no DNA.

Well I mean Lynne has dentals available but no DNA.

Fortunately, Lynne's parents gave their own DNA samples to police before they passed away; these samples can be used to ID Lynne.

Carbuff raises a great point - in 1971 (and 1976), a killer hiding a body didn't have to worry about DNA, even if the victim were pregnant.

robert_durst.jpg

Robert Durst is currently on trial for the murder of his wife. He has allegedly confessed to having murdered other women as well. At the time of Lynne Schulze's disappearance, Durst owned a store in Middlebury, Vermont - a place where Lynn purchased some dried prunes before going to a bus stop where she was last seen. Is it possible that he might have had something to do with Lynne's disappearance?

LINK:

Robert Durst Linked to Disappearance of Vermont College Student

Last edited:
Taking a break from the (admittedly exhausting) nuclear angle, there is something Allen Israel said that's nagging at me.

"Police announced Tuesday, the teenager was last seen outside of Durst's store. 'I'm not surprised at all,' he explained. If there are people that disappeared to make Durst's life a little smoother, a little softer to navigate, I'm not surprised.'"

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/vermont/middlebury-man-im-not-surprised-at-all-about-durst

Why would it occur to Allen that Lynne disappearing might make someone's life smoother? That's not indicative of some randomly-targeted victim taken by a psychotic maniac; that suggestion is indicative of Lynne somehow being a problem.

Why would Lynne be a problem? Why would Allen presume to suggest it, in fact? Lynne couldn't have been a problem for Durst, or Allen, unless she had seen something she shouldn't have, had been in some kind of relationship with them or with someone connected to them, or both.

Whoa! That’s a helluva thing to say about anyone. I really wonder what this dude was like in private life. Because he definitely doesn’t give anything to the cameras. In his prime, he was mesmerizing to women, obviously. But an introvert, not an alpha male like his father needed.
I find it easy to believe he would’ve carried on affairs with multiple co-eds. It was in his nature, and one of their friends said his infidelity started immediately after his marriage. I’m only on page 8 though. This man Isreal should’ve been interviewed extensively. I have a feeling the police have always known who did it. After watching a few documentaries, I can now comprehend how powerful his family is. These people are very powerful and lowkey. I’m not saying this happened in every instance but I think with Vermont and possibly Trinidad CA, l/e was told not to question him. Durst was not neat or particularly smart in his crimes. We all know how the Morris black murder went. He also left a trail of clues in Bermans murder, that l/e failed to act on. And multiple murders where he simply wasn’t investigated. This is a pattern of him not being investigated when he was clearly the elephant in the room from the beginning. It probably went something like Seymour Durst>>>some senator>>>CA governor>>>county commish>>>chief of police. And then he’s gone.
And I think there are many more dead women from towns we never knew about. And if he was taking home young gay men, which his Galveston buddy said he did, then some of them may have disappeared as well.

Last edited:
If Durst was as much of a monster as he seems to indicate that he is, perhaps a careful search of property owned by him would be the place to start in looking for bodies. LE should consider using underground anomaly testing and scanning prior to any digging.

Robert Durst Seeks Coronavirus Mistrial
Robert Durst's attorneys argued that delays caused by the outbreak would prevent him from getting a fair trial on murder charges.

LINK:
Robert Durst Seeks Coronavirus Mistrial

ap-18298826654135___30205246457.jpg

Robert Durst's attorneys argued that delays caused by the outbreak would prevent him from getting a fair trial on murder charges. (AP)

Lynne Kathryn Schulze
lynne_kathryn_schulze_1.jpg
lynne_kathryn_schulze_2.jpg
lynne_kathryn_schulze_3.jpg
schulze_lynne5.jpg
lynne_kathryn_schulze_6.jpg

Lynne, circa 1971
  • Missing Since 12/10/1971
  • Missing From Middlebury, Vermont
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 02/09/1953 (67)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A navy blue pullover sweater, a brown nylon ski parka, blue jeans and hiking boots.
  • Medical Conditions Lynne may have been mildly depressed at the time of her disappearance.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Light brown hair, blue eyes. Lynne had severe acne at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance

Lynne was last seen leaving her dormitory on the Middlebury College campus in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971, the first day of final exams before Christmas break started. She apparently stopped at a local health food store, All the Good Things, and bought dried prunes, and was seen eating them outside the store at 12:30 p.m. She said she was going to take a bus to New York, but the bus had already left.

Lynne returned to campus and was seen in her dormitory. She left her room at 12:55 p.m. She was on her way with her friends to take a final exam in her English Drama class when she said she had forgotten her favorite pen and was going to go back to get it. The exam was scheduled for 1:00 p.m.; she never showed up.

At 2:15 p.m., Lynne was seen standing on Court Street, across the street from All the Good Things and the bus stop where she'd been earlier. This is the last time anyone ever saw or heard from her.

She left her identification, checkbook and all her personal belongings behind when she vanished. She may have been carrying $30 in cash with her. Campus security was alerted to her disappearance two days after she was last seen, but her parents were not notified for a week.

Lynne had mentioned the idea of faking her own death and starting life anew prior to her disappearance, but her friends did not take her seriously. In the letters she wrote frequently to family and friends back home, she admitted she felt homesick and had considered withdrawing from school. However, she never indicated she was planning on dropping out of sight or leaving college before the autumn term was over, and she did register for spring semester classes.

Her relatives don't believe she was unusually distressed. She took her English Drama class seriously, had perfect attendance and studied hard for the final exam she never attended. Although her academic performance at Middlebury wasn't as good as it had been in high school, she wasn't failing any classes.

There were several possible sightings of Lynne after her disappearance, but none of them were confirmed. Several people made confessions of involvement in her case, but all of their statements turned out to be false.

Little evidence is available as to her fate, but Lynne's disappearance is considered suspicious and her family believes she died shortly after she was last seen.

She was a freshman at Middlebury in 1971, and lived in Simsbury, Connecticut when she was not at college. Lynne enjoyed writing at the time of her disappearance and had kept a journal during her senior year of high school.

In 2015, authorities announced they were looking at Robert Durst as a possible suspect in Lynne's disappearance. He and his wife, Kathleen, owned All the Good Things in 1971.

Kathleen Durst disappeared from New York City in 1982, and Robert is considered the prime suspect in her case, but he has never faced charges connected to it. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

Investigators have ruled him out as a suspect in the 1997 disappearance of Kristen Modafferi from San Francisco, California, but he's being considered in the disappearance of Karen Mitchell from Eureka, California that same year.

Robert was charged with the 2001 Texas homicide of Morris Black. He claimed he murdered Black in self-defense, and was acquitted in 2003. In 2015, he was charged with murder in the 2000 shooting death of Susan Berman.

Both of Lynne's parents died in the 1990s, but her sister is still alive and hopes for a resolution in her disappearance. Her case is unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Middlebury Police Department 802-388-3191
Source Information

Lynne has been ruled out as being these UIDs:

UP8398 10/16/1997 Madison AL
UP7514 09/04/1979 Miami-Dade FL
UP1211 01/19/1988 Broward FL
UP14969 11/15/1978 Hampshire MA
UP1522 04/10/1979 Middlesex NJ
UP6259 04/22/1981 Lawrence OH
UP1567 06/01/1987 Knox TN
UP5556 05/30/1976 Virginia Beach VA
UP6249 11/14/1980 Rockingham VA
UP6279 12/18/1996 Fairfax VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6485 02/11/1982 Prince William VA

Middlebury Police Department is still the investigating agency. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

There are three things I would like to comment:
1. Lynne's timeline: I don't get the order of the last sightins: sometimes, I read she forgot a pen and went to get it, but I also read she was last seen at a bus stop, in front of All the good things store. I think there's a certain chaos there.
2. Robert Durst: I didn't really understand why he was considered a suspect; he is a murderer, I don't doubt it, but all his victims had a relationship with him... then I recalled he had admitted been unfaithful to his wife, so... could he have been involved with Lynne? What would Durst have done to a lover saying "no"?
3. Possible match: I found this while checking NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) What do you think?

There are three things I would like to comment:
1. Lynne's timeline: I don't get the order of the last sightins: sometimes, I read she forgot a pen and went to get it, but I also read she was last seen at a bus stop, in front of All the good things store. I think there's a certain chaos there.
2. Robert Durst: I didn't really understand why he was considered a suspect; he is a murderer, I don't doubt it, but all his victims had a relationship with him... then I recalled he had admitted been unfaithful to his wife, so... could he have been involved with Lynne? What would Durst have done to a lover saying "no"?
3. Possible match: I found this while checking NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) What do you think?

Good observations. There are indeed some conflicting/confusing aspects to the narrative. While it may be just a "coincidence" that Lynne was last seen near Durst's store, it does not seem so much of a coincidence when you consider Durst's known murders.

Lynne may actually have been headed for New York, but it seems odd that she would have left her checkbook, ID and all personal belongings behind in her room. And why would she leave for New York BEFORE taking her exams?

I wonder if the story about her planning to go to New York was something Durst SAID he heard her say when she was in his store.

The unidentified Jane Doe in New York is an interesting possibility. Same height and age range. She was obviously murdered and buried in an attempt to hide the body.

Good observations. There are indeed some conflicting/confusing aspects to the narrative. While it may be just a "coincidence" that Lynne was last seen near Durst's store, it does not seem so much of a coincidence when you consider Durst's known murders.

Lynne may actually have been headed for New York, but it seems odd that she would have left her checkbook, ID and all personal belongings behind in her room. And why would she leave for New York BEFORE taking her exams?

I wonder if the story about her planning to go to New York was something Durst SAID he heard her say when she was in his store.

The unidentified Jane Doe in New York is an interesting possibility. Same height and age range. She was obviously murdered and buried in an attempt to hide the body.
It’s a good possibility too. I once heard it was possible Robert took Lynne for a ride and then killed her elsewhere and his her body. This would’ve decreased the chances of finding her drastically back in 1971.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back