Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

This is every parent's nightmare, especially when it is the first time that you don't have "eyes" on your child everyday at the beginning of college.

I am actually impressed that his roommates called his family so quickly after they last saw him. Owen seems to be a young man in communication with his family (this is one place where cell phones really work b/c young adults use them all the time so calling home is not so odious as it was in the old days). I know his loved ones are saying no indications or concerns but he had roommates questioning his actions of going to lacrosse without his gear (yes, it was a meeting but still) and those are not questions most college roommates would be asking. So many people looking out for him, is it just who these young people are or did multiple people have some (unspoken) concerns about him?

ETA quote about gear and link:
"He did not go to lacrosse practice and that’s where it sounds like his roommates were worried, because he was a little evasive about what he was doing on Sunday night. He said he had lacrosse practice and they asked him about his gear because he didn’t have his big lacrosse bag. He said 'well it’s a meeting, not a practice' and then he was evasive about where on campus it was, and then he ended up I guess leaving campus and we don’t know where. We’re waiting for him to come home," said Mary Klinger. Family, friends expand search for missing University of Portland student

MOO.

Last edited:
This is every parent's nightmare, especially when it is the first time that you don't have "eyes" on your child everyday at the beginning of college.

I am actually impressed that his roommates called his family so quickly after they last saw him. Owen seems to be a young man in communication with his family (this is one place where cell phones really work b/c young adults use them all the time so calling home is not so odious as it was in the old days). I know his loved ones are saying no indications or concerns but he had roommates questioning his actions of going to lacrosse without his gear (yes, it was a meeting but still) and those are not questions most college roommates would be asking. So many people looking out for him, is it just who these young people are or did multiple people have some (unspoken) concerns about him?

ETA quote about gear and link:
"He did not go to lacrosse practice and that’s where it sounds like his roommates were worried, because he was a little evasive about what he was doing on Sunday night. He said he had lacrosse practice and they asked him about his gear because he didn’t have his big lacrosse bag. He said 'well it’s a meeting, not a practice' and then he was evasive about where on campus it was, and then he ended up I guess leaving campus and we don’t know where. We’re waiting for him to come home," said Mary Klinger. Family, friends expand search for missing University of Portland student

MOO.

I’ll try and find the link to the article about the roommate. He found the explanation by Owen evasive and he knew something was not right. He stayed up waiting for him until 1 o’clock. He was immediately concerned and knew he needed to alert campus and the parents.

ETA Authorities are on the hunt for a University of Portland freshman who mysteriously went missing this weekend

Last edited:
I’ll try and find the link to the article about the roommate. He found the explanation by Owen evasive and he knew something was not right. He stayed up waiting for him until 1 o’clock. He was immediately concerned and knew he needed to alert campus and the parents.
Woah! That is some very interesting intuition there, what an upstanding human to do this for his roommate. I’m astounded at how in-tune he was with the situation. Beautiful.
Hope he’s found ASAP!!!!

Woah! That is some very interesting intuition there, what an upstanding human to do this for his roommate. I’m astounded at how in-tune he was with the situation. Beautiful.
Hope he’s found ASAP!!!!

At some schools, students can pick roommates from high school buddies, etc. I wonder if this is a new friend or an old friend. Either way, I agree. This is the kind of roommate that all students should have.

MOO.

I agree.

Thinking back to college, even my closest roommates/friends could go anywhere and do anything without me really blinking an eye. At that age, you're all so involved in your own lives that it would theoretically take quite a dramatic event or change in personality to make one keep such close track of their friends' whereabouts.

What's the closest body of water?
The university is located on a bluff overlooking the willamette river. There is also a newer section of campus (built since I graduated) that is level with the river. An accident involving the river or the riverbank crossed my mind initially, however, the last confirmed sighting of Owen (via TriMet cameras) was him walking the opposite direction of campus/the river.

I agree. The roommate has some astounding intuition and an admirable character. He did the right thing in a tough situation where some people might have just waited around. What I’m wondering is if his concerns stemmed from intuition alone or if something had happened to/with Owen in the recent past to alarm his roommate in some way.

I wonder if he took a Bolt Bus (or some other kind of "Chinatown bus") north or south. Does he have friends at other universities in Oregon, or up in Washington?

I hope the businesses in the area where he was last seen walking will share their security video’s without LE having to take the time to get warrants. Hopefully they already have done this! I’m very surprised they haven’t spotted him on more security cameras. It really makes me think someone picked him up and he rode off with them.

Freshman year away is rough- period. I need more info. My one who is now a Sr had a really rough go. Big time smart in HS- not the same in college at a top school; when you add in social life, laundry, adulting, expectations sometimes it feels overwhelming. Mine reached out - many don't.

The large amt of money may mean travel money. The little sack couldn't hold a laptop- so hopefully they are analyzing it. ( I can't imagine he doesn't have one)

My college kid ( and my other adult kids) all on my cell plan for 2 reasons- so I can pull records in a flash, and it's cheaper per person. Most college kids are on their parents plan- so I hope they have analyzed those records as well.

And someone needs to be checking Craigslist seeking sections- asap

Someone knows.

Edit: UP is small, private and Catholic. Look at things and places that are basically taboo. This is not a public anything goes activist type place.

What is his major? Is he a tech genius? Betcha he still has the same gmail/yahoo/hotmail acct from high school- so getting in there may be as simple as looking via one's home computer. Also- google records location history, and so does iphone.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back