IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
LBM

First bolded : Finally went and watched that video. Horrible.
Not just that messy house ; but the fact that that 'mother' just sat there and didn't protect or pick up her child after he slapped the baby.
At the very end when the stepdad leans out of frame, the other toddler's feet fly up into the air as if she's been pulled backwards and down on her head.
Looks like the 9 year old was the only one confronting this abusive man.

Second bolded : Thought mom was ushered out by the boyfriend ? And spoke to the rest of them through the window as they burned ?
How did her niece die in her arms ?
Not saying this wouldn't be ghastly, but her story keeps changing.
MOO

Wow - I think all states should release these kinds of numbers - I know the agencies are understaffed but if you are going to operate on behalf of the children who most need it, there has to be some accountability when these situations happen IMO. I bet if we look at all the murdered children here on WS - a very high percentage will have had some involvement with an agency - just a guess but I'd love to be proven wrong. JMO

The above stated article is the first i've seen where the niece died in her arms..... I thought only the 2 of them got outside? I'm confused.

Me too,I thought she said he got her out and went back in for the kids,and the niece was found dead next to him on the floor?. She said she had her niece in her arms when the furnace exploded and knocked her out,when she came to he was ushering her out,so why didnt one of them pick the niece up and take her out with them because she must still have been near them when she "came to", and if she was standing by the furnace when it exploded why isnt she at least burned if not dead?

"Some days it's easier to breathe than others," said Samantha Alwood, 21, about the effect her daughter's death has had on her. "It hurts knowing that I won't get to see her first day of school. I won't get to see her first tooth fall out. I won't get to see her become someone amazing."
Illinois is the home of the world's first juvenile court — in Cook County, Clarke said. Juvenile court judges, she said, have opted for alternatives to detention as developments in science over the last three decades have given social workers, police officers and others in the world of childhood trauma a greater understanding of how children's brains develop.

Under the best of circumstances, a child's brain doesn't develop a sense of time and consequences until later in adolescence, according to Amanda Moreno, a professor at the Erikson Institute, a graduate school focused on early childhood development.
Chicago boy charged with murder in fatal fire that killed 5 is 'not a monster,' mom says

He did take a lot from me,” she said. “But God tells us not to judge.”
View attachment 208661
“I’ve never seen anything go up in flames so fast,” she said, adding she has post-traumatic stress disorder after barely surviving the fire, and the sound of a smoke alarm still gives her panic attacks. “My niece died in my arms. I can still hear them screaming.”
9-year-old central Illinois boy charged with murder in fatal fire that killed 5 ‘made a terrible mistake,’ but he’s ‘not a monster,’ mom says

I thought they all died inside and she couldn’t get anyone out. Did he get Rose out and she then died in her arms and he went back in?

Katrina Alwood started a fundraising page in May to help raise money to legalize ownership of her family's van.

"On April 6th at 11:55pm I lost 2 children under 3, my 2 year old niece, my fiance love of my life, and my grandmother in a tragic mobile home fire and I lost every thing," she wrote on the ? page. "The only thing i have left is the van that we shared and I'm almost completely out of time to get it legal or there gonna tow it and I'll never see it ever again and i cant lose no more."
A major challenge for prosecutors will be trying to prove the child formed an intent to kill in advance, which is required in first-degree murder cases, explained Gus Kostopoulos, a former prosecutor-turned-juvenile defense lawyer in Chicago.
9-year-old charged with murder for allegedly starting fire that killed 5 people

Katrina Alwood started a fundraising page in May to help raise money to legalize ownership of her family's van.

"On April 6th at 11:55pm I lost 2 children under 3, my 2 year old niece, my fiance love of my life, and my grandmother in a tragic mobile home fire and I lost every thing," she wrote on the ? page. "The only thing i have left is the van that we shared and I'm almost completely out of time to get it legal or there gonna tow it and I'll never see it ever again and i cant lose no more."
A major challenge for prosecutors will be trying to prove the child formed an intent to kill in advance, which is required in first-degree murder cases, explained Gus Kostopoulos, a former prosecutor-turned-juvenile defense lawyer in Chicago.
9-year-old charged with murder for allegedly starting fire that killed 5 people
I'll admit I'd be hesitant to contribute to most crowdfunding pages.

She could use the money for her son's defense and treatment if he needs it.
It would be better spent; imo.
That's if he and he alone is responsible for the fire.

At 11:55 p.m. the Woodford County Coroner pronounced 5 dead. 69 year old Kathryn Murry, 34 year old Jason Wall, and three children. A pair of two-year-olds and a one year old. The manager said another child escaped through a window. That child and Katrina Alwood were treated and released from OSF Saint Francis Medical Center.
Neighbors mourn loss of five in Goodfield mobile home fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members