CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before ..
Sorry, I am not talented as many of you in my writing skills.. I am always impressed with those on the other side of the pond for their clarity in writing...
Thanks! No, it's easy to confuse, especially when typing on little phone screens as most people seem to do now.
I just wondered if you were suggesting that someone would hide a body somewhere and then move it to a place that had been searched, assuming that nobody would look there again.

Thank you, you expressed that well. That's exactly the impression I had.
I also thought that his mention of bikini/beer was prompted by the mental image of his last sight of her. Wouldn't that be burned on your brain?
Yes, and I'm sure he was asked by LE what she was wearing, what she had with her, etc.
So he was just relaying what he saw and probably what he described to LE.
The last he saw her she was rounding a corner, wearing a bikini, and holding a beer.
I don't think he meant that these were the only reasons he thought she was kidnapped. He also mentioned that she had to cross the road in order to get back to the RV.
I definitely don't think he was implying that she was dressed inappropriately or that he disapproved of it. Imo

I don’t think he sounded disapproving of a bikini but I do think he sounded like he thought it would be provocative to a kidnapper. It was the way he said it in the TV interview. “Because she WAS wearing a bikini and she WAS carrying a beer.” IMO. It just sounded odd to me.

Probably not.Read my post again,it was hypothetical.And another possibility for people to disappear.Seems no one really knew them to say one way or the other.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were speculating that it was possible in this particular case.

I've been thinking about Breaking Bad constantly in connection with this case. Whenever I envision "the desert", my mind goes to that scene in "Ozymandias" (?I think), that starts out with a far distance shot looking at nothing but desert (giving rise to the "what are we looking at?" impulse, until a metallic glint appears upon the far horizon, and you realize it's going to be a car, bringing the scene's visual interest (human beings).

I don't quite possess the knowledge to know if this is "desert" precisely like the California branch of the Mojave, as the shooting space (a) isn't identified; and (b) doesn't have much in the way of any type of boulders, IIRC; but this is why I don't have any theoretical problem imagining the vastness of the locale.

Below is a link to the now-infamous Kelbaker boulders, btw (my apologies if this vantage point has already been posted):

Kelbaker Boulders Reviews updated 2019

This person does a really good job with their cinema verite filming, I think:

though one of the interesting things you will notice, is that California believes in shoring up the ecosystem by studding the landscape with nicely available bright blue standing recycling bins (along with shoring up tourist overlooks with bright blue railings).

This, to me, indicates that any note of color such as, oh, a red hat; would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Second question which arises is: this must mean that someone is occasionally dispatched to empty the bins of recyclables, though, no? Has that person or persons been questioned about what they did or did not see?

Those boulders are about 6 miles south of where Barbara went missing, but I agree they warrant checking out (could they have stopped there? It's the first place right off the freeway, is used as a leg-stretch by many, hence the recycling bins). Certainly, a 360 photo could have been taken from the (easily accessible) boulder pile, plus of course there would be cars visible. They had to go right past this spot to get to Kelbaker/HH.

The segment starting at about 5:30 shows the type of foliage that is similar to that near where RT and Barbara walked. Really varied and beautiful, some of it quite tall. That's the problem with the hat (if it's stuck up under some plant, it'll be harder to spot). The traveler in this video appears to have gotten back on the eastbound I-40 after his brief stop at the Kelso Boulders and then gets off on Essex to go to his campground.

At any rate, those are not the boulders searched for Barbara - those lie 6 miles north, on Kelbaker. The video gives an excellent sense of the different types of terrain out there. Still, it's entirely possible they stopped there (and that would account both for some of the missing time and indicate that both were out in the heat for longer than just the one 2.2 mile hike).

It's hotter (lower altitude) right at that spot than it would be at the Granite Mountain stop.

Thank you, you expressed that well. That's exactly the impression I had.
I also thought that his mention of bikini/beer was prompted by the mental image of his last sight of her. Wouldn't that be burned on your brain?

I never thought he implied her dress was shameful (it's a common enough form of dress in the desert, especially near the River, but really, everywhere). I do think a single, lightly-built, bikini-wearing woman standing by the side of Kelbaker Road might attract attention, a slow-down and potentially negative behavior.

Are the two of you saying you think RT left open the idea that she would willingly get into someone's car as opposed to being abducted? Because when I first heard the story (it's local to me, so it was on TV that evening, we stream KTLA), I wondered about it. His plea on the Las Vegas station (which was then carried on Inside Edition) was clear though: please give her back, no questions asked (as if she were being held without her permission).

A woman was picked up by the side of a road in the Mojave NP in 2006 (I believe) and reported missing by her partner. She turned up again about a week later (maybe slightly less) in Henderson, having spent the time partying with new friends in Vegas. She was not a young woman, if memory serves. So I was hopeful that perhaps Barbara, being attired as she was, might have gotten an invitation to ride along to Vegas.

However, it would be very odd for a loving wife to take off and scare her husband like that (I'd call it a form of acting out - anyone who runs away from their ordinary life without leaving any notice of what they're doing is at a minimum being a bit passive-aggressive, in my worldview). We now know that Barbara didn't just turn up again (she would have had no extra clothing, been inappropriately dressed for walking around in Vegas, no money of her own, no cell phone, no credit card, no hairbrush or toothbrush, etc) It's true that "new friends" could have provided a t-shirt, but would they pay for her trip to Vegas? Not under any circumstances I can think of. In the case of the above-mentioned missing woman, she did have her wallet. She didn't call her family for several days, though.

Anyway, I figured that RT was familiar with what happened to that other woman, and his mind may have gone there. I never thought he was being judgmental toward Barbara and other than a few posters here and on FB, I've never seen anyone else express that either. To the contrary, Barbara seems adventurous and confident.

I've always wondered if RT was carrying a shirt for her (and sunscreen) so that if needed, she could protect her skin (say, if the wind picked up). Some day, maybe his daughter or someone else close to him may reveal a bit more, I can't imagine their current state of mind, given what's happened.

Private planes do not have to file a flight plan. Unless it’s a major airport, there would be no record of a private plane coming in or leaving from the airport. If there’s a control tower, there would be a record because of air traffic control but there’s a lot of small airports without control towers.
Also log books can be falsified since the pilot is the individual entering the info. All that matters is that the hours on the plane match the log book hours. Unless there’s someone who knows otherwise, there’s no way to catch a false entry.
Welcome to Websleuths, Sladell. Thank you for joining us. :)

Understand,but read my post again.It was hypothetical.
@Chingaling Yes, agreed, hypo ppl embezzle, then split.
Your post re unnamed ppl embezzling & disappearing, was hypo, so :cool: w ToS (IIUC).
My post was about BT & RT, so did not to want to drag any possibility of embezzlement or other crimes into discussion, which I thought could violate ToS.

I have been to :eek: 'band camp.' Once is enough.

Perp Moving Body to Location after SAR Searched?
I just wondered if you were suggesting that someone would hide a body somewhere and then move it to a place that had been searched, assuming that nobody would look there again.

@Cherwell :) sbm
Yep, it's been done. A few or maybe handful of cases in US. Sorry, no link, can't recall victim names, perp names, or book titles.

New to the discussion after a long absence from Websleuths. I did not read the 12 threads on this case so please excuse me if this has been brought up. Are there any abandoned mines in the area? If so, have they been checked? I’m thinking Erin Corwin type of scenario here.
Also, a 69 year old woman in a bikini? I.Don’t.think.so. I’m 69 and the bikini ship sailed 25 years ago. IMO

Welcome to the case! One good way to catch up is to read the media thread. It's not very long.

AZ - AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

Are the two of you saying you think RT left open the idea that she would willingly get into someone's car as opposed to being abducted?
No, I didn't read any such suggestion into anything he said.

Could she have done that? Yes, but not with the intention of going far. As you say, she wasn't equipped for that. However if she did take a wrong turn she could have eventually come out on to the road, but a fair distance away from their RV. In that case she might have accepted a lift from a passing driver, especially if she was not feeling well.

@Chingaling Yes, agreed, hypo ppl embezzle, then split.
Your post re unnamed ppl embezzling & disappearing, was hypo, so :cool: w ToS (IIUC).
My post was about BT & RT, so did not to want to drag any possibility of embezzlement or other crimes into discussion, which I thought could violate ToS.

I have been to :eek: 'band camp.' Once is enough.
Ha ha that's cool.

I had a heat stroke in Sept of 2015.It was pretty much immediate.From the time I told myself I was too hot and sitting down to grab a small fan to cool down,then nothing.I remember nothing.Until my husband found me stretched out with that fan with no front on it laying on my chest.I was out,and wouldn't have been here today if he hadn't slapped me in the face repeatedly.I woke up but couldn't move and was vomiting.I had nothing.It took husband and grandson an hour to get me in the house.I couldn't and didn't move from 6pm til 3am. It was a really bad experience,and one I hope to never experience again.I do not push myself in the heat.I don't even go outside once it reaches a certain temperture

Thank you for sharing your experience. People sometimes think they'll sense the symptoms and act accordingly, but that's not usually how it works. My daughter's case was similar and if her husband hadn't taken appropriate action, I think she might not still be here.

As we get older, many factors influence our vulnerability to stroke, heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

So glad you survived.

Are the two of you saying you think RT left open the idea that she would willingly get into someone's car as opposed to being abducted? Because when I first heard the story (it's local to me, so it was on TV that evening, we stream KTLA), I wondered about it. His plea on the Las Vegas station (which was then carried on Inside Edition) was clear though: please give her back, no questions asked (as if she were being held without her permission).

Firstly, thanks for the extra clarity about the landscape! I wrongly assumed that when looking up "Kelbaker boulders" and finding a shot of one with an RV in the background, that this was "THE" camping spot.

Secondly, to answer your question: I did think it was a possibility. I don't anymore. I mean, although mature, Barb does strike me as a spirited lady, and I've heard about plenty of spirited ladies who might be so hell bent on getting away from their male companions on account of a fight, etc... not that I think "a fight" would have been the reason. I was, however, thinking that it were possible, that if Barb found herself unable to get into the RV or find RT, or think that RT's absence was vastly inconveniencing her in something she needed (access to a loo; cold drink); that she might accept a hitchhiker's ride to Vegas because if that old coot cares so little about her absence and/or her needs, she'll show him.

Now, of course, given the weeks that Barb had been missing, I no longer think this; but it's happened. I feel like there might even be a missing case in the past, where the girl insisted upon being let out on the road and getting away from her male companion; only to find that the male companion lost her to a mystery abductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member