TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe we are doing this again. That video is heart pounding - especially on subsequent viewings. (I’ve watched it several times now, and it makes me cry every time.) My thoughts are with the victim’s family.

This is disgusting. Lawyers for PD should force him to take a LWOP plea, write the family a multi-million $ check and re-train every single one of their officers. HORRIBLE.
I agree, however, if they were retrained, they'd be trained to do the same exact thing.
They are trained that... If you are in fear of your life, and feel threatened, shoot to stop the threat.
Cops are not trained to wound. They are trained to shoot in the center mass of the body. They are trained to kill. And that's because in their eyes, if they were to go for a leg, or an arm, they may miss and not stop the threat.
This cop was only on the force since April of 2018. He had recent training.
IMO, the reason there hasn't been a press release, as someone has already mentioned, is because they need time to spin this crime in the cops favor.
We all know what the playbook explanation will be...
"I was in fear for my life, my life was in danger, I had to stop the threat. My mind was going in circles."
Post pics of a gun to plant the thought that she was going to shoot the cop. It's odd how they couldn't post any cam footage inside of the house, yet were allowed to show the picture of the gun inside the house and that's all.
Make sure you tell the public that it wasn't her home... it was her mothers home, to plant the thought that she wasn't the homeowner, and perhaps had no right to shoot the cop.
They need more time to build the story, so they give the cop the weekend off and plan on calling him back to the station on Monday for questioning.
I believe if the tables were turned, and a citizen shot the cop, he/she would have never left the police station in the first place.

I agree, however, if they were retrained, they'd be trained to do the same exact thing.
They are trained that... If you are in fear of your life, and feel threatened, shoot to stop the threat.
Cops are not trained to wound. They are trained to shoot in the center mass of the body. They are trained to kill. And that's because in their eyes, if they were to go for a leg, or an arm, they may miss and not stop the threat.
IMO, the reason there hasn't been a press release, as someone has already mentioned, is because they need time to spin this crime in the cops favor.
"I was in fear for my life, my life was in danger, I had to stop the threat. My mind was going in circles."
Post pics of a gun to plant the thought that she was going to shoot the cop. It's odd how they couldn't post any cam footage inside of the house, yet were allowed to show the picture of the gun inside the house and that's all.
Make sure you tell the public that it wasn't her home... it was her mothers home, to plant the thought that she wasn't the homeowner, and perhaps had no right to shoot the cop.
They need more time to build the story, so they give the cop the weekend off and plan on calling him back to the station on Monday for questioning.
I believe if the tables were turned, and a citizen shot the cop, he/she would have never left the police station in the first place.

I'm glad they are taught to shoot to kill and if you don't think they need re-training, we'll have to agree to disagree.

They need to train them how to perceive actual threats...and they need to train them on implicit biases. JMO.

They need to train them how to perceive actual threats...and they need to train them on implicit biases. JMO.
Maybe train them to go in through an opened door instead of first shooting through a closed window.

Might train them to secure the home and assess if the homeowner is indeed in need of any help from their friendly local police department.

Cagney and Lacey could do it better....2 Cents.....

I'm glad they are taught to shoot to kill and if you don't think they need re-training, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I understand and agree with Gardenista. Cops are trained to shoot to kill. IMO, this is a legacy of the tough-on-crime rhetoric of the 80s. Everything is a threat and they must be neutralized. Obviously this isn't helped by the millions of guns out there. If I was a cop, bloody heck I'd want to be home with my family at the end of the day.

That does not mean it's right. We are not a lawless impoverished wild west country where it's every person to their own. We are the freaking richest country on the face of the earth. If we are continuing to behave like the wild west, there's something wrong here.

He never went to the front door or announced himself and was sneaking around like a burglar himself. I wonder how much trouble that woman would have been in if she would have fired on the cop and killed him? Would the justice system in Texas have accepted the Stand-Your-Ground Law as acceptable defense in this case?

JMO But perhaps neighborhood demographics and crime stats, prior calls to the street/address, home owner has a record. Any of this would be completely indefensible and the situation was handled atrociously. But just some ideas that cross my mind for why in the world the officers would ever approach this way from that call.
This. This thought process is why innocent people are dying because of cops. This is called PROFILING.

He actually walks by not one but 2 open doors that are well lit. Front door and side door by homeowners car. Both times he fails to speak out and announce himself and ask if anyone is home and if everything is all right. All is quiet. No disturbance seen. No threat perceived. Moo

Her “crime” seems to be leaving her front door open with the screen door closed and a light on. How dare she. <sarcasm>

This is insanity.

We have had unseasonably warm temps in Texas lately. Friday a cool front came in, lowering temps dramatically. She may have been enjoying the change in the weather and cooling her house down.

Absolutely horrible.

This is a really good point imo. The neighbor called in a welfare check for his neighbor and her nephew - the neighbor would have been able to describe her.

Did this cop even know he was shooting at a woman? The gender of who he was there to check on.

Looking forward to how the cop gets around that one.

I'm not understanding this from the news conference this afternoon -

Lt. Brandon O’Neil, a Fort Worth police spokesman, said at a brief news conference Sunday afternoon that two officers had been dispatched to the home in the 1200 block of East Allen Avenue after a neighbor made a call early Saturday to the nonemergency police line. They arrived about 2:30 a.m. and walked into the backyard.

Questions and outrage after Fort Worth officer fatally shoots 28-year-old woman in her home

So far the reports are 5 officers initially responded.

He never went to the front door or announced himself and was sneaking around like a burglar himself. I wonder how much trouble that woman would have been in if she would have fired on the cop and killed him? Would the justice system in Texas have accepted the Stand-Your-Ground Law as acceptable defense in this case?
IMO if she had fired shots she would have ended up getting killed anyway. She literally had zero options, zero decisions. She was executed.

I don't find the sneaking odd in itself. It wasn't a welfare check along the lines of, "I haven't seen my elderly neighbor in a while". It was about an open door that isn't generally open, in the early morning hours.
Just because the non-emergency line was called doesn't rule out a possible emergency like a home invasion with the door open at that hour and a child in the house.

Arguably, the open door combined with what looks like objects scattered on the floor might have looked like a disturbance to them. I wouldn't expect them to announce themselves until they had a chance to look around more and assess any threat that may exist. We don't know what they heard through the open door, if anything.

But once they saw a human, they should have announced themselves and given her time to respond before shooting. She must have been terrified. They gave her no chance before they shot her. That is a huge problem.

I'm not understanding this from the news conference this afternoon -

Lt. Brandon O’Neil, a Fort Worth police spokesman, said at a brief news conference Sunday afternoon that two officers had been dispatched to the home in the 1200 block of East Allen Avenue after a neighbor made a call early Saturday to the nonemergency police line. They arrived about 2:30 a.m. and walked into the backyard.

Questions and outrage after Fort Worth officer fatally shoots 28-year-old woman in her home

So far the reports are 5 officers initially responded.
Per body cam recording released 2 units arrived. First unit arrived at 2:28:56 am and second unit arrived at 2:29:13am. 2 officers may have been dispatched as stated but another unit also arrived. That has yet to be explained why and what they were doing. Only mention of them was when they rushed into home after the shooting and attempted to provide medical assistance.

If her window was closed, she might not even have heard the commands he shouted at her.

But it sounds like he was so fast on the trigger, she didn't have time to follow the commands even if she heard them.

This sounds like the case of a fearful cop who did not have the emotional fitness to do the job prudently. Way too jumpy and fast on the trigger.

It absolutely should be open and shut, castle doctrine, and done, if she had shot him instead of the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member