Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

They would need the password that he created after he started classes. In any case, it seems likely that he self-reported that his grades were 80% in all classes. He may have told his parents what they want to hear.

I totally agree.

Since the semester had barely started, unless his classes were mostly online or professors used some kind of online gradebook, merely signing on to his student account is not going to give quiz scores. If the parents had in fact obtained his password, I regard that as an impediment to a student's self-actualization and independence. Most students resist this and have good reason to do so. They are becoming adults.

Anyway, final grades are what go into online databases that students use to see their grades. Quiz scores, attendance points, in class participation, short papers, etc., are graded by profs, but hardly anyone takes the time to put all this into a separate online database for student perusal. If the university is using D2L or Canvas or similar online platform, it's still unusual for profs to have all of their assignments online.

Midterms will revise all grades anyway. Midterms, by definition, are a larger part of the grade than early class assignments. Many freshmen hear tales of how hard the midterms are going to be, and freshmen are known to freak out before, during and after their first (and second) set of midterms.

Profs are not allowed to discuss grades with anyone but the student. However, "Do you know who Owen is?" is a legitimate question and many profs would add a few non-committal statements that would help the parents understand whether this could be a voluntary "escape the pressure" disappearance (such a great phrase). Profs can also talk in general about what tests were upcoming and how hard they might be (general pass rates, etc)

Where I teach, registering students can check a box that waives their FERPA rights when it comes to passing on information that is positive or helpful (for scholarships and letters of recommendation). I think most universities have this. Most students check the box and allow profs to discuss positive things. Whether most profs would include parents in this sort of communication is truly a gray area of FERPA. I know I would.

Another snippet of information I found on Instagram regarding search dogs:

They have been in use. Someone posted about being contacted to review their home camera footage because the search dog sniffed Owen’s scent across the street 2 days ago. Unfortunately the camera didn’t have the right angle where the scent was found.

So, search dogs are being used in residential areas! I know this was previously debated as an option and just wanted to add that it seems they are being implemented into the search.

They have been in use. Someone posted about being contacted to review their home camera footage because the search dog sniffed Owen’s scent across the street 2 days ago. Unfortunately the camera didn’t have the right angle where the scent was found.

So, search dogs are being used in residential areas! I know this was previously debated as an option and just wanted to add that it seems they are being implemented into the search.
Did they say the general location of the scent? I'm wondering which direction he went (east or west) on Lombard.

"Mary and Dustin Klinger said their son is a middle child, has a peaceful demeanor and didn't show any signs of having trouble at school or his new dorm
They said his roommates checked his grades in a university database and he's doing well in classes."

Hundreds search across Portland for Owen Klinger

The article also says he was last seen near a bus stop but didn't get on the bus. I suggest they might check to see who got off the bus at that stop. Did he meet someone?

"Surveillance footage from that evening shows Klinger near a TriMet bus stop, but Klinger's mother says the agency reviewed its footage and Klinger didn't get on a bus."

Did they say the general location of the scent? I'm wondering which direction he went (east or west) on Lombard.

No directional information. I’m not even sure how far the location is from campus. It was someone’s personal post on Instagram, apparently Owen’s father visited to ask the neighborhood questions. I’m hoping this helps LE at least and that they have gained private information from this that is helpful.

I've been following this case and just came across this website. This has been especially sad because I have a son just a little younger, and we live not too far and he is considering this school...plus he is similar to this boy as well. I can only imagine the worry these poor parents are going through!

I'm thinking of what could possibly have happened if this was my son, who is also a good student, never been in trouble. Sort of sheltered from the real world and not that street-wise. What would it take for him to act in this manner?

For my son, I can maybe see him wanting to buy some kind of electronic gadget and maybe connecting with someone on a place like Craig's list who has one for sale at a good price. Arranging to meet up and withdrawing the money from his account, perhaps not wanting to tell his parents who might try and talk him out of spending money on another gadget he doesn't need. Or perhaps even a car, if he didn't yet have one. Not giving thought to maybe the person who he's meeting isn't being truthful?

I've been following this case and just came across this website. This has been especially sad because I have a son just a little younger, and we live not too far and he is considering this school...plus he is similar to this boy as well. I can only imagine the worry these poor parents are going through!

I'm thinking of what could possibly have happened if this was my son, who is also a good student, never been in trouble. Sort of sheltered from the real world and not that street-wise. What would it take for him to act in this manner?

For my son, I can maybe see him wanting to buy some kind of electronic gadget and maybe connecting with someone on a place like Craig's list who has one for sale at a good price. Arranging to meet up and withdrawing the money from his account, perhaps not wanting to tell his parents who might try and talk him out of spending money on another gadget he doesn't need. Or perhaps even a car, if he didn't yet have one. Not giving thought to maybe the person who he's meeting isn't being truthful?
My brother is 22, so a little older than this, but he’s pulled similar with things he’s bought in college that he doesn’t want my parents to know he has. All my younger siblings have bank accounts connected to my parents’ account and my dad will pretty regularly check to see if they’re paying rent, using their allowance wisely, etc. One time he withdrew $350 cash for a pair of Wisconsin vs. Ohio State tickets he found on Craigslist and my dad flipped out over it because he was supposed to be home studying and the seller was sketchy. I’m not sure if Owen’s parents monitor his account like mine do, but if his roommates know the parents well enough to contact them I would definitely see that as a reason to be cagey about the money and where he’s headed.

Sunday, October 13th 2019
Search for missing University of Portland student reaches a full week

"PORTLAND, Ore. – It’s been a week since a missing University of Portland student was last seen leaving his campus dorm, and dozens of community members gathered Sunday to expand their search efforts.

At this point, they have not found any leads in the disappearance of 18-year-old Owen Klinger.

Still, dozens of friends, family members, and concerned people in the community helped expand the search, scouring five North Portland parks.

Among the searchers is Kaylee Deloye. She tells me she is Owen's workshop leader at UP, where she oversees a group of freshmen throughout the year to help them make an easier transition from high school to college.

She says she checks in with each of them several times a week, and says there were no signs of trouble with Owen.

“Owen's doing great. He's one of my most constant, stable, responsible students,” said Deloye. “He seems to be doing great with his classes. And academically and emotionally is something I check in on with each of them, and there was never any alarm with him.”"

Adding to your timeline. He was seen walking on Portsmouth and Lombard at 8:30 via Trimet video.
Univ. of Portland holds vigil for missing student Owen Klinger

That’s away from campus about 10 blocks. Kinda a long way to go, IMO as someone who knows the area.

I agree. When I first heard this, I would have suggested they search the Bluff and then the bank of the Willamette. UP is in a very safe area of Portland and you can head in both directions for blocks and it remains safe. Below the Bluff really isn’t that safe though. But since he was off campus at Portsmouth/Lombard and his phone was turned off shortly thereafter, I don’t see this as something that happened on campus.

Some other info from an interview with his mother that someone may find relevant. She said the cash withdrawal was larger than she usually makes (she compared to herself) but she justified it as saying Owen gets a $3.00 charge so he might have taken extra money to avoid multiple fees. She also said all the cash in his dorm room was gone. I don’t find this unusual since he had been on campus for 6 weeks. His backpack and computer were left in his dorm. She named the cellular company of their phones and said they had basic phone records and were tracking down numbers they didn’t recognize.

I couldn't find this interview with mother, so please post source if you can - thanks!

Even with the justification that OK pulled out a larger amount of cash to avoid more fee charges in the future, it doesn't make sense that he would pull out a sizeable amount (presumably) and then walk off campus at night without having a purpose for it. The reports so far about the circumstances around the withdrawal seem to indicate OK had a near-future plan for the money. Not, for instance: I'll withdraw a large sum of cash, walk away from the safety of campus at night, and return later to put the full amount back in my dorm room. So, it would seem he had the intention of at least spending some of it immediately following its withdrawal.

The minimum amount OK could have drawn was $20.00 and any other amount would have been in multiples of 20. So the "larger than she usually makes" reference made by the mother suggests that it was likely larger than $40.00, or even $60.00. It is Sunday night. It is getting dark, OK is drawing out multiples of $20.00 in cash and apparently intends to head off of campus with it. According to one report here on WS, he had just eaten at Pilot House - so he is likely not headed to a place for food. So he had another intention for the direction he was heading and the cash in his pocket. A grocery store? A debit card would have worked and would have been a safer choice. He also likely had an intention when he appeared to be evasive with his roommates. None of these facts appear to be random. They sound to me like someone who had a plan, at least for that evening, but didn't feel like letting everyone around him know.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find this interview with mother, so please post source if you can - thanks!

Even with the justification that OK pulled out a larger amount of cash to avoid more fee charges in the future, it doesn't make sense that he would pull out a sizeable amount (presumably) and then walk off campus at night without having a purpose for it. The reports so far about the circumstances around the withdrawal seem to indicate OK had a near-future plan for the money. Not, for instance: I'll withdraw a large sum of cash, walk away from the safety of campus at night, and return later to put the full amount back in my dorm room. So, it would seem he had the intention of at least spending some of it immediately following its withdrawal.

The minimum amount OK could have drawn was $20.00 and any other amount would have been in multiples of 20. So the "larger than she usually makes" reference made by the mother suggests that it was likely larger than $40.00, or even $60.00. It is Sunday night. It is getting dark, OK is drawing out multiples of $20.00 in cash and apparently intends to head off of campus with it. According to one report here on WS, he had just eaten at Pilot House - so he is likely not headed to a place for food. So he had another intention for the direction he was heading and the cash in his pocket. A grocery store? A debit card would have worked and would have been a safer choice. He also likely had an intention when he appeared to be evasive with his roommates. None of these facts appear to be random. They sound to me like someone who had a plan, at least for that evening, but didn't feel like letting everyone around him know.

<modsnip>

I will look tomorrow and see if I can find the interview when I have more time. From memory, I believe it could be this interview that was linked on the UP FB site: Kgw News @KGWNews

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos of item in pocket while exiting dorm. I tried to manipulate the image to show contrast. The way his arms are both bent at elbows, he may be already looking at his phone.

So what is this - phone? tablet?

Attachments

• Owen Klinger - item in pocket.jpg
    Owen Klinger - item in pocket.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Owen Klinger - item in pocket, enlarged, contrasted.jpg
    Owen Klinger - item in pocket, enlarged, contrasted.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 192
Photos of item in pocket while exiting dorm. I tried to manipulate the image to show contrast. The way his arms are both bent at elbows, he may be already looking at his phone.

So what is this - phone? tablet?[ I think it may be a scientific calculator used in math classes.
I think it may be a scientific calculator for math class. If it’s a phone it is a larger size phone. It may be a tablet if it’s a smaller tablet or possibly a kindle??

Reminder to everyone about The Rules (linked in my signature):

It is the responsibility of all members to familiarize themselves with Websleuths TOS (aka The Rules). While we cut some slack for new members, there is no excuse for more veteran members to be disregarding those rules.

Do not sleuth/discuss individuals who are not officially named by LE to be a POI/suspect. Sleuth all you want behind the scenes, just don't post about it on the public thread.

Respectful discussion of known victim behavior (good or bad) is allowed if it is supported by MSM, but speculation that infers drug use or other illegal activity by a victim is not allowed unless there is MSM to support such speculation.

Fundraising discussion and links to fundraising sites are not allowed. (If your post contains asterisks within a link you provide, that means the site is not allowed.)

On an official missing person page (i.e. Finding Owen Klinger), you may only discuss comments made by an Admin of the page (so not comments made by other members of the group. You may refer to something along the lines of "an interesting comment by John B at X o'clock" ... but you may NOT discuss the comment here as it is considered rumor and your post will be removed).

Last edited:
They would need the password that he created after he started classes. In any case, it seems likely that he self-reported that his grades were 80% in all classes. He may have told his parents what they want to hear.
We have a freshman son at UP. The student can choose to give proxy access to parents (or not) to access grades, financial records etc. but unless Owen took his midterms early ( does anyone know his major?) midterms started AFTER he disappeared so I don’t know how his grades would have been published; my son (Engineering) did not get his yet.

Adding to your timeline. He was seen walking on Portsmouth and Lombard at 8:30 via Trimet video.
Univ. of Portland holds vigil for missing student Owen Klinger

That’s away from campus about 10 blocks. Kinda a long way to go, IMO as someone who knows the area.

I agree. When I first heard this, I would have suggested they search the Bluff and then the bank of the Willamette. UP is in a very safe area of Portland and you can head in both directions for blocks and it remains safe. Below the Bluff really isn’t that safe though. But since he was off campus at Portsmouth/Lombard and his phone was turned off shortly thereafter, I don’t see this as something that happened on campus.

Some other info from an interview with his mother that someone may find relevant. She said the cash withdrawal was larger than she usually makes (she compared to herself) but she justified it as saying Owen gets a $3.00 charge so he might have taken extra money to avoid multiple fees. She also said all the cash in his dorm room was gone. I don’t find this unusual since he had been on campus for 6 weeks. His backpack and computer were left in his dorm. She named the cellular company of their phones and said they had basic phone records and were tracking down numbers they didn’t recognize.
Agreed. Initially there seemed to be thought that something happened on campus ( spooked my son and probably others) but after the Trimet video location of Portsmouth and Lombard (we were only there for orientation but I was aware that Lombard was a ways away from campus) you have to wonder why the heck he was there at that time on a Sunday night before the start of midterms

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back