GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.
According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day. "While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.
By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.

Clues sought in slaying of FSU law professor Dan Markel - CNN

Probable Cause documents

Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5 -
Fl - Dan Markel, 41, Fsu Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #5 *arrests*
Thread #6 - Found Deceased - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*
Thread #7 - Found Deceased - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*
Thread #8

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn, not that I don't want to see CA hang, but it's WA that is getting all my loathsome feelings. But for her Dan would still be alive and the children would still have a relationship with their father. All the children have now is the narcissistic family as an example of how to live.
Grasping at straws and this might be a pipe-dream but maybe KM is the one who approached CA or WA as a solution to their "Dan" problem and the conspiracy grew from there to include mama and papa. If she is as wily as I think she might be, then I wouldn't put it past her to have some hard core concrete evidence stashed away to use against all the A's. Now would be the time to bring it out and save SG's life and shorten her stay with the state.
deleted.
And that at least one member of the jury didn't think she was guilty after this! Unreal.
After their trials and appeals are exhausted. KM/SG will be singing like canaries.

We work in the field and provide forensic support as well as litigation consulting. We study persuasive science and often are involved in developing demonstrative exhibits for trial teams. I am a fan of GC and believe she put on a solid case. However, I'd like to share with you what our approach would have been to the call records on July 17, 2014.

Recall how persuasive it was when GC presented the timeline showing KM's bank account and she clicked her PowerPoint to have the graph show the dramatic spike of cash that coincided precisely with the murder. When you have such a dramatic exhibit, it always helps to mirror it with a corroborating exhibit. In this case the call activity on the day of the murder is obviously critical. I believe it should have been the centerpiece of an exhibit that was used in a manner that would resonate with the bank record presentation. It is also very important to coordinate the direct testimony being used to introduce the exhibit. Let's assume GC has laid foundation for the following. To leverage the persuasive value of the evidence, I'd suggest she ask her witness questions along these lines:

Q: Agent Sanford, I'm showing you a timeline that includes the year 2014 when Mr. Markel was murdered. For the record, what was the date of the murder?
A: July 17th.
GC clicks to show the vertical line representing the date of the murder:
TimelineAA.jpg

Q: Now, Agent Sanford, have you've studied the phone records for Charlie Adelson, Donna Adelson, Wendi Adelson, Katherine Magbanua and Sigfredo Garcia?
A: Yes.
Q: Did I ask you to compile the number of calls made daily among and between these five people?
A: Yes you did.
Q: And for the calendar year 2014, did you make a daily count for calls among and between them?
A: Yes I did.
Q: Did you find there was one day among the 365 days of 2014 where the number of calls made between these people had a particularly high total?
A: Yes. There was one day when the call activity among and between these individuals was much higher than any other. We found a flurry of calls placed between those phone numbers on a single day.
Q: And what day was that, Agent Sanford?
A: July 17th, 2014
GC clicks to superimpose the call activity over the same date as the murder:
TimelineBB.jpg

Q: Now Agent Sanford, I'm going to zoom into the 24 hour period starting just after Midnight on the 17th.
(At this point I believe GC should use an interactive Timeline that allows her to graphically take the jury through the calls made. I've whipped up an example using the free online Timeline Software Tiki-Toki. A number of our clients use this simple tool in their courtroom presentations. You can view the Markel Murder Timeline I made here: Dan Markel Murder -- you can switch to and from the 2D/3D views by clicking the little "2D/3D" icon in the lower left corner of the screen.

Below are two screen shots from the Timeline. You can use your mouse wheel to scroll through the day and you can click on any of the calls to pull up information about the call duration:

Timeline04.JPG

The screenshot below shows how we've incorporated the murder 911 call in the timeline. Seeing that graphic adjacent to the visual depiction of the telephone tag going on is extremely persuasive and makes the temporal connection between the conspirators and the event:
Timeline05.JPG

Again, I'm a fan of the work done by the prosecution. However, I do believe that modern trials benefit from careful preparation and use of presentation tools that help the jury understand the case and the issues. I think the jury might not fully appreciate the significance of the phone traffic if it is presented in a somewhat sterile list that looks similar to the phone bills they've reviewed many times at home. By adding images of the defendants with a dynamic graphic depiction of the timeline, the persuasive impact and importance of this particular phone traffic becomes evident.

Wasn't he shot on the 18th?

Monday, October 14th:
*Sentencing Phase Begins (@ 1pm ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Sigfredo Garcia (34) arrested & charged (5/25/16) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder.
Trial started on 9/23/19 and ended 10/10/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours. Total 11 hours for guilty verdict of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation for Garcia.

Court info & trial from 9/23/19 thru 10/11/19 reference post #1546 here:
VERDICT WATCH - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #8 *arrests*

*Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) – Co-Conspirator. Mistrial declared. Case Management hearing on 10/22.
Accomplice:
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100K to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

YIKES... You are correct. ... My mistake. ... I guess you can't edit your posts after awhile so I can't change the original post, but I fixed the online timeline: Dan Markel Murder

We still get the jist, and that was amazing!!! I 100% believe the prosecution has read here, so I hope they see this. Make sure your inbox isn't full ;).

June: Well, I know he (CA) would always talk about multiple attorneys and say that Katie has a great one. And would like brag about hers. That it was next to his or something like, I don't know.

Has the full interview with David Lacasse ever been released?

I know he was interviewed on two separate occasions. I would love to see it in its entirety.

This is an interesting article from 2016 BBM:

The story behind FSU professor's slaying detailed in new evidence

Lacasse later told investigators that Wendi Adelson said she switched her phone a few days after the shooting because she thought police had bugged it.

Early in the investigation, people close to Markel and Wendi Adelson shared their concerns about the Adelson family with authorities.

Tamara Demko, Markel's long-time friend, told investigators she drove to Adelson's house as soon as she heard the news and felt a strange tension when she saw Adelson's parents, whom she knew.

"There's just things that don't feel right to me," she told an investigator during a recorded interview the day after Markel was shot. "[Wendi Adelson] opened the door and she looked really calm. ...[Her mother] seemed appropriately upset, then her dad, who I've met a couple dozen times in Coral Springs and up here, he gave me this look. ... It was awkward and it never had been before. That really bothered me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam