TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This man should be held on a charge of no less than Police Misconduct, made to stand before a Judge, arranged, have bail set, and ordered to surrender his passport at the very least until charged with murder, He's a flight risk imo.
I'm not saying charge him with a bogus charge like a lot of cops do to hold someone. There's no need to.
IMO, this press conference was nothing but a PR stunt.... riot control, and after watching just how fast that so called "transparent" Chief walked away from the microphone without answering one question shows me that the "Blue Code Of Silence"is alive and well in the city of Forth Worth.

I just want to add the only command he made was to put her hands up and let him see her hands. That indicates to me he couldn’t See her hands. Therefore never saw a gun.

Had she been pointing a gun at him he would have or at least should have commanded “Police! Drop your weapon!”IMO

ME: great observations makes good sense.

Last edited:
It's not realistic to say that race is never a factor in police shootings. Here? Who knows? Depends on what they thought - maybe knowing they were going to a neighborhood with many African-American residents predisposed them to "fear". Maybe the split-second he saw her was not enough to stay his hand, whereas seeing a woman who looked more like him may have stopped him.

We tend to oversimplify things, especially when we are outraged. Saying race may have been a factor is not in any way saying that these officers went to the house to kill (or execute) an African-American person. Just like she was definitely not killed for having her doors open or her lights on, as some have claimed in their anger. Reality is always more nuanced than that.

In fact, I think the police really did go there to help. I think they saw reason to worry about a home invasion. But flaws in screening, training, and procedures along with probable bias took us to the loss of Ms. Jefferson and the end of a child's innocence. If we can address those flaws and biases on a large scale, maybe we can prevent the next needless killing.

It wasn't enough for me to just like this. Excellent post! I find your username to be very appropriate!

It's not realistic to say that race is never a factor in police shootings. Here? Who knows? Depends on what they thought - maybe knowing they were going to a neighborhood with many African-American residents predisposed them to "fear". Maybe the split-second he saw her was not enough to stay his hand, whereas seeing a woman who looked more like him may have stopped him.

We tend to oversimplify things, especially when we are outraged. Saying race may have been a factor is not in any way saying that these officers went to the house to kill (or execute) an African-American person. Just like she was definitely not killed for having her doors open or her lights on, as some have claimed in their anger. Reality is always more nuanced than that.

In fact, I think the police really did go there to help. I think they saw reason to worry about a home invasion. But flaws in screening, training, and procedures along with probable bias took us to the loss of Ms. Jefferson and the end of a child's innocence. If we can address those flaws and biases on a large scale, maybe we can prevent the next needless killing.
There's a saying in aviation.... It's a chain of events that lead up to the crash, and if one link of the chain is broken, the crash will be avoided. I believe the same holds true here.
If this happened during daylight hours, this may not have happened. If they knocked on the door, the same. If they parked in front of the house, If the cop was trained differently, If he had more experience... IMO, all these things were factors.
If she was white? I'm not so sure. If you were this cop, standing outside in the dark, looking at a silhouette with light in the background, would you be able to tell if she was white or not? I honestly don't think that in the second and a half he had the flashlight pointed at her, that played in his mind, but I may be wrong.

There's a saying in aviation.... It's a chain of events that lead up to the crash, and if one link of the chain is broken, the crash will be avoided. I believe the same holds true here.
If this happened during daylight hours, this may not have happened. If they knocked on the door, the same. If they parked in front of the house, If the cop was trained differently, If he had more experience... IMO, all these things were factors.
If she was white? I'm not so sure. If you were this cop, standing outside in the dark, looking at a silhouette with light in the background, would you be able to tell if she was white or not? I honestly don't think that in the second and a half he had the flashlight pointed at her, that played in his mind, but I may be wrong.
IMO they knew that information before arriving due to dispatch/records/demographics.

Aaron Dean is not cooperating. Per Chief.

That’s okay, his body cam is all the cooperation we need.

Oh I’m not arguing about it, I just find it ridiculous. Fortunately there is video and eyewitness, so he really doesn’t need to say anything.

And just throwing this out here:
Police Officer's Oath

The widely used oath embraced by the International Association of Chiefs of Police reads, "On my honor, I will never betray my badge, my integrity, my character or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always uphold the Constitution, my community, and the agency I serve."

well he failed. Miserably.

This is actually a criminal charge. Violation of oath. Anthony Hill’s murderer was convicted of it today.

YEP! I 've been wondering if he had give up his passport?

No legal avenue to make him until he’s charged with something.

DBM
Scroll and roll, scroll and roll.

Ignore. It’s the best feature ever!

That kind of breaks my heart. I'm picturing staying up late with auntie after a week at school, popcorn, coke floats, video games and that cool breeze everyone had been praying for after all of the crappy heat of the past month.

This kid is going to have PTSD and will need a lot of support and probably a fair amount of counseling.

Yes. I used to spend summers in Arizona with my Aunt. I remember being there when some big events happened. Princess Diana, JFK Jr. and Lauren....
I grew up there.

We stayed up late and slept late. We kept windows open because she didn’t have air conditioning. We played games my parents didn’t allow, ate junk food and talked.

My aunt died of natural causes 6 years ago when my own kids were about. 8 years old. I can’t even imagine what this situation would have done to my life at that age.

This is the same root cause as Guyger. Shoot first and ask questions/use your brain later.

And I mean the malignant attitude of complete indifference to human life.

He could have:

called the house; had dispatch call the house
knocked at the door
announced he was a police officer
turned on his flashing lights out front
retreated
called for help
spoke to the neighbor

Cont.,

pulled up out front with cruiser lights flashing (instead of hiding)
used a bullhorn to announce themselves from a safe distance (if they were so on guard)
shot a can of tear gas into the house
grabbed the next door neighbor, who called, to go the front door

It is in the sense that they both did what they did for the same reason. She missed multiple clues that she was in the wrong place and did not take advantage of many opportunities to stop and think. I believe she did that then, and the current officer did that here because they both never felt any doubt about their assessment of the situation and their "right" to use deadly force. I think this comes from the same attitude of aggression.

^^^THIS

Let’s say this lady was pointing her gun at him.

My thought?

As she should have been!!!

He was on HER property, UNANNOUNCED. Why didn’t he knock on the front door like a civilized person?

Her “crime” seems to be leaving her front door open with the screen door closed and a light on. How dare she. <sarcasm>

This is insanity.
Right? Burglars are not going to leave the front door open and all the lights on for people to see what they are doing. This makes NO. SENSE. AT. ALL. And on top of everything else, he didn't even give her time to put her hands up before shooting her. IN FRONT OF HER NEPHEW. He does not have the judgment or the temperament to be a police officer.

EG2e8moX4AA5xnP.jpg

https://police.fortworthtexas.gov/Public/general-orders
p. 107

Pretty damn clear.

Here’s the thing. If she did have a gun pointed at them, that makes total sense!! She was in her own home, she hadn’t called the police, they certainly didn’t announce themselves, they didn’t knock on her front door... they were slinking around in the dark in her back yard! She SHOULD HAVE had a gun pointed at them. (Mind you, I don’t think she did... which makes it even more tragic.)

If anyone in this scenario deserved to be shot, it was the officer(s) unannounced in her back yard in the middle of the night. He had NO RIGHT to shoot her. None.

And if he followed actual police procedure, we need all new procedures. Like, yesterday.
And if she had shot him, I can almost guarantee she'd be sitting in jail right now.

Snipped from the release:

Ummm, wasn't he was walking around with his weapon out and pointed? So that statement is misleading. As we have all seen by the video realeased, there is a period of time described in that sentence that does not exist in reality.

"Perceived a threat" is their go-to excuse for everything. That includes barging into someone's home and shooting their crated dogs.

Because someone pointing a gun at a police officer is not a threat to the officer? She could see out the window that it was the police, and I have no doubt that she was pointing that gun at them. Just because second-guessers cannot see her in the window from the body camera, the officer could see her and her gun, he had his flashlight pointed at the window.

Tragic yes of course, but No criminal charges IMO
How, exactly, would she have known they were the police? Have you ever tried to see someone who is holding a flashlight in your direction in the dark? I would bet my life that all she could see were shadows. He didn't say they were the police or even give her a chance to put her hands up before he shot. She was in her own home, being the "cool aunt" with her nephew. He was skulking around her yard in the middle of the night. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csouth5859