TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Among the questions: Did the neighbor who made the call see or hear something that raised alarm bells? What, if anything, happened that made the officer believe there was an imminent threat? Why not just knock on the door and announce that a police officer was there?

At police academies around the country, recruits spend hours being put through simulations of a variety of calls designed to show them ways to de-escalate situations or prevent unjustified shootings.

In this case, Fort Worth police and the mayor said Monday that there was nothing to justify the officer firing his weapon. Dean had been on the force for a year and a half

The very nature of the call — made to a non-emergency line and not reporting any crime in progress — might suggest it would be simple and straightforward. But Maria Haberfeld, an expert in police training and procedures and a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said many factors must be taken into consideration, such as whether police have had previous trouble at a certain address or neighborhood, or whether the officer heard or saw something that appeared to pose an immediate threat.
Latest deadly police shooting raises questions about tactics | Federal News Network

There's a saying in aviation.... It's a chain of events that lead up to the crash, and if one link of the chain is broken, the crash will be avoided. I believe the same holds true here.
If this happened during daylight hours, this may not have happened. If they knocked on the door, the same. If they parked in front of the house, If the cop was trained differently, If he had more experience... IMO, all these things were factors.
If she was white? I'm not so sure. If you were this cop, standing outside in the dark, looking at a silhouette with light in the background, would you be able to tell if she was white or not? I honestly don't think that in the second and a half he had the flashlight pointed at her, that played in his mind, but I may be wrong.
I don't think he shot her because she was black; I think he, at least, was perhaps predisposed to think of the neighborhood as "dangerous," "sketchy," and whatever else he may have told himself about a black neighborhood. Some of those implicit biases are so ingrained that unless we white people receive training they will never go away. And even then, it requires a conscious effort, every single day. My own experience/understanding of implicit bias.

"Nobody looked at that video and said there's any doubt this officer acted inappropriately," Kraus said. "I get it. We're trying to train our officers better, we're trying to shore up our policies, trying to ensure they act and react the way the citizens intend them to — that they act and react with a servant's heart, instead of a warrior's heart."
Cop who killed black woman in her home resigns amid outrage

OMG. The picture of her in her band uniform just breaks my heart all over again.
Omg, me too. Life can be peculiarly ominous. I had just finished talking to my granddaughter about her block enrollment for 7th grade next year. She said she wanted to play the tuba. I told her I played the flute in the marching band and great grandma played the bells and xylophone. I hadn’t thought about that since 1968. Then I see that photo of Atatiana. Whew. Breathe in. Breathe out. Wow. Any of y’all sometimes get triggered with certain cases?

I don't think he shot her because she was black; I think he, at least, was perhaps predisposed to think of the neighborhood as "dangerous," "sketchy," and whatever else he may have told himself about a black neighborhood. Some of those implicit biases are so ingrained that unless we white people receive training they will never go away. And even then, it requires a conscious effort, every single day. My own experience/understanding of implicit bias.
I like you a lot @Doghairrules. Carry on :)

Omg, me too. Life can be peculiarly ominous. I had just finished talking to my granddaughter about her block enrollment for 7th grade next year. She said she wanted to play the tuba. I told her I played the flute in the marching band and great grandma played the bells and xylophone. I hadn’t thought about that since 1968. Then I see that photo of Atatiana. Whew. Breathe in. Breathe out. Wow. Any of y’all sometimes get triggered with certain cases?
Absolutely. I take breaks and switch to politics for a bit. Its always good to come back here. Seriously tho, yes ma'am pretty often :(

I also played flute in the marching band. ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members