TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was Atatiana Jefferson? The woman killed in her home by a Texas cop was devoted to her family, relatives say.

He was being held on a $200,000 bond, according to the county's inmate information website. Officials said he posted bail about three hours later.

"Slowly but surely, we are allowing ourselves to feel. It's been a lot," Adarius Carr, Jefferson's brother, told CNN's Don Lemon Monday, hours after the officer who shot her was arrested. "Today, itself, has been... I'm speechless about it, I can't put it into words."
Forth Worth officer out on bond after fatal shooting of Atatiana Jefferson

The child was the one to tell his mother -- Jefferson's sister -- what happened to his aunt, the family said.

"Zion is a very smart child. He's very wise beyond his little 8-year-old years," Carr told Lemon.

"We've noticed things about him that changed, but he's a strong one," he added. "We'll get him the treatment he needs to make sure he's good."
Forth Worth officer out on bond after fatal shooting of Atatiana Jefferson

I'd rather see the crime stats.
I personally don’t care about either. Unless I am way off here, I don’t think policy and procedures differ based on location of a possible crime. Children live in “bad” neighborhoods, good people of all races live in “bad” neighborhoods and “bad” things happen in” good” neighborhoods. It wasn’t too long ago we had an incident, not far from my home, in a good affluent neighborhood, where police responded to a domestic call and were ambushed on arrival. Young officer, shot dead first day on the job.
The stats, to me, mean nothing in this case. The question is did all responding officers follow proper policy and procedure when they responded to this call? That response should have been the same regardless of where victim and her young nephew lived. JMHO

Last edited:
I'm curious about the caliber of police officers out on the streets. Are the police departments no longer getting high quality police officers due to the mean streets they have to patrol?
That's always been a concern of mine with so many gangs and drugs.
Maybe a lot of good men and women say no thanks to becoming a police officer.
Something to think about!

have to wonder how comfortable most DFW residents feel calling their police for a "non emergency" matter?

I feel quite comfortable because I would benefit from the conscious or subconscious bias. I live in a very affluent neighborhood-the homes in the front part (not where I live) look like something out of "Lifestyles of the rich and famous." Even my "lesser" section is still very nice by any measure. I have no doubt that the implied SES of a fancy neighborhood brings with it inherent benefits. It shouldn't be that way, but it absolutely is.

I think police training needs to address this kind of implicit bias, as well as more accurate assessment of what actually constitutes "threatening" behavior. They need to do a better job of weeding out the jumpy, fearful types too.

5 things to know about the life of Atatiana Jefferson | Atlanta Daily World

He did get what I wanted him to get, and this is only the start,” Adarius Carr, Jefferson’s brother, told CNN. “There’s no way this is enough. We know this is a good step in the direction where we want to go, but it’s definitely not the end.”

Dean was served a written administrative complaint Sunday, placed on detached duty and stripped of his badge and firearm, interim Police Chief Ed Kraus said. He resigned Monday.

The department has presented a preliminary case to the FBI to review the officer’s actions for possible civil rights violations, Kraus said.
Former Fort Worth police officer charged with murder for killing Atatiana Jefferson in her own home

This was the seventh officer-involved shooting in Ft. Worth since June 1, the sixth fatal shooting. It’s part of the reason Jefferson’s family wants the Department of Justice to investigate the Ft. Worth Police Department. From The Dallas Morning News:
Jefferson’s relatives emphasized their hope that the federal government or another outside organization will investigate the shooting.

Adarius Carr, Jefferson’s brother, told reporters that his 12 years of service in the Navy had shown him that someone who fails to follow procedures needs to face consequences.

“I’ve been trained and taught that there are pre-planned responses to everything you do,” he said. “When you don’t do it the way you’ve been trained, the way you’ve been taught, you have to answer for that.”
Former Fort Worth officer Aaron Dean arrested on murder charge in shooting of Atatiana Jefferson – Alternet.org

I'm curious about the caliber of police officers out on the streets. Are the police departments no longer getting high quality police officers due to the mean streets they have to patrol?
That's always been a concern of mine with so many gangs and drugs.
Maybe a lot of good men and women say no thanks to becoming a police officer.
Something to think about!
it seems that is exactly what is happening and that is going on in every major city in the USA.

I feel quite comfortable because I would benefit from the conscious or subconscious bias. I live in a very affluent neighborhood-the homes in the front part (not where I live) look like something out of "Lifestyles of the rich and famous." Even my "lesser" section is still very nice by any measure. I have no doubt that the implied SES of a fancy neighborhood brings with it inherent benefits. It shouldn't be that way, but it absolutely is.

I think police training needs to address this kind of implicit bias, as well as more accurate assessment of what actually constitutes "threatening" behavior. They need to do a better job of weeding out the jumpy, fearful types too.
So did Justine Damond live in an "affluent neighborhood".....Officer Noor responded to her call and shot her dead.

Good morning all!

I've been closely following this thread along with all of the updates by the media.

First, like I've always done in all cases on WS is have opinions on the specific individuals involved, so I will do this on this specific victim, and on this one horrid suspect.

Since I've never put ALL in the same box nor judge them all equally culpable for what each individual does, I wont do it here either.

Instead I will leave that for many others to do.

Imoo, in this case it does a grave disservice to the rest of the UNinvolved approximately 1.2 million LEOs we have serving in all LE capacities in our country.

So painting all with the same wide brush has never been anything I've done in any case whatsoever, so I will not do so in this one either.

I see many posts that all of our police officers need to be retrained, and admittedly I don't understand those sweeping opinions either.

Why? When it's still rare for UNJUSTIFIABLE shootings to occur in a country of 330 plus million people with over 1.2 million LEO agencies on duty each, and every day.

So I will give my opinion on this heartbreaking case where a beautiful young woman's life was UNJUSTIFIABLLY taken.

I couldn't be more pleased she will receive deserved justice for her life being brutally taken from her, her community, our nation, and all of her shattered family members.

I believe, rightfully so, he will be convicted of murder.

He deserves no less than the harshest punishment allowed for such a senseless, unjustifiable murder.

God bless all of her grieving family who now will go forward toward seeking deserved justice for Atatiana.

It's such a beautiful name, and so befitting given to a beautiful young woman who's life had such a bright promising future before being extinguished by this one bad cop. :(

Jmhoo.

Last edited:
So did Justine Damond live in an "affluent neighborhood".....Officer Noor responded to her call and shot her dead.

True, but I still feel comfortable that the odds are really in my favor vs. a similarly innocent person of color in a neighborhood with marginalized community and/or high crime. That's just the way the world is. Nothing is 100%. I feel comfortable driving to the grocery store on a 35 mph street. People have been killed doing that, but I understand the odds are relatively low.

Last edited:
Chief Kraus: #AaronDean was arrested at his attorney's office last night. "I ask you to please not let the actions of one officer reflect on the other 1,700. There is no excuse, the person responsible will be held accountable."
@fortworthpd
Chief Kraus: "We are bringing in an independent third party to evaluate our practices, policies and procedures to ensure we are above best practices standards." Doesn't know what #AaronDean felt, didn't speak to investigators
@CourthouseNews

A call log released by police showed that the non-emergency call that led to officers being sent to Jefferson’s house was made at 2:24 a.m. on October 12. Dean was dispatched along with another officer, identified in the call log as Officer Carol Darch. She arrived first, at 2:28 a.m., and Dean arrived on scene at 2:29 a.m. Jefferson was shot just after 2:30 a.m. Several other officers were then dispatched to the scene, the call log shows.

It is not clear if Darch is cooperating with the investigation or whether she could face criminal charges or departmental sanctions. A document on the Fort Worth city website shows that Darch has been an officer since 2017.

Aaron Dean: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Chief Kraus: Says two officers responded the way they did because it was an open structure call, not a welfare call. Was called by neighbor as welfare call but dispatcher recorded it as open structure
An emotional Kraus says officers "are hurting ... coming up & hugging, it's very emotional because these officers try hard every day to make this city better," building relationships "like ants building an ant hill and being washed away and having to start over."
@CourthouseNews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members