GUILTY WI - Alexander Woodworth, 24, stabbed 16 times by Ezra McCandless, Eau Claire, Mar 2018

mojook

Reaction score
I haven't seen this discussed here, and I tried to search. Court tv is showing this trial which began this morning.

Summary from the following site:Trial begins in Dunn County stabbing death case

Dunn County (WQOW) – The trial is underway Monday in a Dunn County murder case.

Ezra McCandless is accused of stabbing Alexander Woodworth of Eau Claire 16 times in March of 2018.

His body was found in a car in Springbrook township between Eau Claire and Menomonie.

Prosecutors say McCandless showed up at a home not far from the crime scene barefoot and disheveled with some blood around her mouth.

The 21-year old is charged with 1st degree intentional homicide. She’s pleaded not guilty to the charge.

On Monday, attorneys spent the day selecting the jury. Judge James Peterson anticipates opening statements will be made Tuesday morning.

Both the state and the defense are scheduled to call several expert witnesses to the stand including law enforcement.

The trial is expected to last three weeks.

So glad you started this. I've been looking and couldn't find anything... watched on courttv today too... and confused on a few things. When did defendant 'transition'? MSM is hard to find on earlier articles

I am confused too. Seems like she identified as male for a short time, but went back to a female identity.

I found a better article that explains some things. Not everything is mentioned though.

Opening statements under way in “transgender” Ezra McCandless murder case | Sandra Rose

Opening statements began Tuesday in the high-profile murder case of Ezra McCandless in a Wisconsin courtroom.

A defense attorney portrayed his client as the victim during his detailed opening statement. McCandless, 21, is accused of stabbing her boyfriend, Alexander Woodworth, 16 times.

McCandless and Woodworth, 24, were in his truck that got stuck in the mud on a dirt road in rural Dunn County, Wisconsin on March 22, 2018.

According to a criminal complaint, McCandless claimed she crawled into the back seat when Woodworth attempted to rape her. She said she grabbed a knife to defend herself and started stabbing "anywhere and everywhere."

She said Woodworth didn't stop even after she stabbed him multiple times. Police say she spent time mutilating his penis.

After McCandless stabbed Woodworth to death, she carved the word "boy" in her own forearm and slashed her clothes.

In her opening statement, the prosecutor described McCandless as a cold-blooded killer who committed premeditated murder. She reportedly took her father's EMT knife with her.

McCandless, who was born a biological female, experimented with her gender identity in high school. She changed her name multiple times, finally settling on the boyish name "Ezra". On that basis, the media insists on calling McCandless "transgender".

But friends say McCandless has always dressed in feminine clothing and never appeared as a male to them. They describe her as "mentally ill" and "weird".

The jury will hear from a former boyfriend who said McCandless followed him as he drove 150 miles to a friend's house. He found her sleeping in her car in his friend's driveway the next morning.

McCandless reportedly had three boyfriends at the time of Woodworth's death.

She pleaded not guilty of first-degree intentional homicide by reason of mental illness. She was later found competent to stand trial. She is being held on $250,000 bail in the Dunn County jail.

McCandless faces life in prison if convicted.

Her original name is Monica Karlen, she was born female, identified as a male for awhile, not sure what she now identifies as but the court is referring to her as female. I also saw she has changed her name a few times.

I hadn't heard about this case till I saw it on law and crime. Lots are watching the Theresa seivers case

So glad this thread has opened. I’ve been following Teresa’s trial closely but checking this one also. Very interesting trial; love triangles, gender identify issues (which don’t appear to be an issue at hand though), stalking etc. I need to go back and listen to opening statements.

ETA: Oh I forgot about “boy” being carved into her arm...so maybe the gender identity thing is an issue. I just don’t know enough about this one but I’m glad it is on Court TV.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread here for this as well! I've been following this woman's crazy hairdos all week ;)

I wish this current police officer on the scene didn't look like he's about to cry/look guilty about something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back