TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Officer who shot resident dead in her own home was dispatched to burglary call, not welfare check: Docs

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/10/17/officer-who-shot-resident-dead-in-her-own-home-was-dispatched-to-burglary-call-not-welfare-check-docs/

A burglary call?
Dean may try to use that.
I noticed the Texas Rangers declined to investigate the case.
Hmm. Possibly because of the way it all went in the AG trial.

Fort Worth officer arrested and charged with murder of Atatiana Jefferson
Kraus said the Texas Rangers declined to investigate the shooting and that the case has been submitted to the FBI for potential civil rights violations .

MOO

If he was sent on a burglary call that kind of changes the picture. I think this young cop was very wise to seek council and speak to nobody!
If he thought he was looking for a burglar and saw somebody in the window with the front door open.....

If he was sent on a burglary call that kind of changes the picture. I think this young cop was very wise to seek council and speak to nobody!
If he thought he was looking for a burglar and saw somebody in the window with the front door open.....
I agree. We've known for days now that it was an "open structure" call, and there's been a lot of discussion that the cops should have knocked on the door first etc... I'm not so sure about that.
It was discussed in the press conference that if it was an "open structure" call, that the cops would have been parked down the street.
Time stamp@ 12:12 of the video posted below.
It was also stated that the cops would not have known if it was a 911 call, or a non emergency call.
I'm not certain, but it makes sense to me that if it was an "open structure" (burglary) call, that they would have covered the back door incase someone tried to run out, or was flushed out by another cop covering the front door. There was another officer that also responded, so maybe it would have been her that would have knocked on the door, or at least covered it.
IMO, the cops did their jobs, up until the gun was discharged. That changed everything.

It was also discussed in the same press conference why the Texas Rangers will not investigate.
It was said that it was too late in the game. I'm not sure if that means that the evidence at the scene was already gathered, or if it was because they knew he was going to be charged with murder.

The Fourth Amendment right of individuals to remain safe and secure in their own homes, (Free from government intrusion) is a fundamental civil liberty.

Unwarranted and non-emergency welfare checks should not deprive us of those rights. (but they often do!).

I would never take anyone's 4thA rights away, by calling in a welfare check, without being a great deal more concerned and at least attempting to make contact with my neighbors.

It always amazes me how quick we are to just hand those rights over like we don't even care if we have any.

"I appreciate your concern, but as you can see, we 're fine."

Is my preference to just caving in to "mind if we come in" warrantless search inquiries...

This was not a "welfare check"... this was an "open structure" call.
However, for conversation sake, if this was a welfare call,
can you explain how this Woman's 4th amendment right would have been violated by a cop knocking at her door?
"Knock and Talk's" are perfectly legal, even if they are not responding to a call. That doesn't mean you have to let them in your house.

Knock and Talk Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.

I'm not attempting to change your experience. (I apologize if I'm coming across contentious).

I'm just pointing out, that, as you said yourself, most people don't really feel they can refuse entry without looking suspicious. That's not free choice. Not really.

Why do we have to be "hiding something" if we would rather not invite them into our home?

You found them pleasant and polite but would you have asked them to come in if they hadn't requested it?

If not then they had no business in your house. (imo).

I have stepped outside, to speak with police on a well check. They never tried to come in, there was no reason to, and as I pulled the door shut when I stepped out, I think they knew I wasn't going to ask them in.

I also got caught in a DEA raid once (guys in the apartment below me were dealing), got tossed up against the wall in my hallway and had a gun pointed in face, once they assertained who I was and where I lived, I was able to go back up to my apartment.

Later they knocked and asked me if they could use my place, my phone and windows, as they were still arresting people pulling up to score, and I was fine with that, (they were in and out of my apartment half the night), because we'd been waiting for something to be done about the downstairs neighbors for months.

So it depends. I don't mind, but I'd like to think I could refuse, without feeling like a criminal. If it's such a free country an all.

Snipped from above quote.

Later they knocked and asked me if they could use my place, my phone and windows, as they were still arresting people pulling up to score, and I was fine with that, (they were in and out of my apartment half the night), because we'd been waiting for something to be done about the downstairs neighbors for months.

Would it be fair to say that perhaps the "nosy neighbor" was concerned about crime in his neighborhood,, and wanted something done about that too?
IMO, where as he saw the door open , I don't think what he thought was going to be a "welfare check" call was made because he thought she had the sniffles. My guess is, (and I may be wrong) because he thought something criminal was going on, and didn't want to be confronted by a criminal, and that's why he didn't check up on her himself.

With all due respect, What's the difference between this so called "nosy neighbor" being concerned about what was going on next door, and you being concerned what was going on with your neighbor down stairs?

Snipped from above quote.

Would it be fair to say that perhaps the "nosy neighbor" was concerned about crime in his neighborhood,, and wanted something done about that too?
IMO, where as he saw the door open , I don't think what he thought was going to be a "welfare check" call was made because he thought she had the sniffles. My guess is, (and I may be wrong) because he thought something criminal was going on, and didn't want to be confronted by a criminal, and that's why he didn't check up on her himself.

With all due respect, What's the difference between this so called "nosy neighbor" being concerned about what was going on next door, and you being concerned what was going on with your neighbor down stairs?

BBM. You are absolutely right. In his interview, the neighbor said, "I didn't have a gun, so I called the police". I did not understand whether he did not have a gun on him, or did not own a gun at all, but it is obvious that he was afraid of approaching AJ's house without a gun. Meaning, he might have very possibly thought, something criminal.

Once again, the problem is, Shoot First, Worry About Facts Later. ASSuming that something bad is going on, without considering the innocent alternative, that everything is perfectly fine.

Regardless of the certain justification(s) to come, as in the Amber G. case, there were alternatives. Some feel that his occupation choice gives him a pass, and these are the same people who probably give a pass to every cop that "accidentally" kills someone completely innocent.

Marquis Jefferson argued that he had been denied any involvement in the funeral planning by the mortuary Body had engaged. He said that as his daughter's sole legal heir, the duty of arranging the funeral is his.
Judge halts funeral plans for woman shot at home by officer

Despite the legal action, Carter said Jefferson has a good relationship with his daughter's mother and siblings, who use the last name Carr.
"The Carr family is invited, there is room for them, they are more than welcome, they'll be respected, they'll be treated with dignity and that's what should happen," he said.
The order set a hearing to determine if the restraining order will continue is scheduled for Monday, the order said.
Atatiana Jefferson's father gets a restraining order to delay her funeral and burial - CNN

Last edited:
The demands included unedited body camera video from the crime scene, the names of all officers there and the firing of the city manager. They also listed a commitment to meeting larger scale demands, such as addressing the culture of the police department, and creating a non-police response to welfare checks and mental health calls.
City Leaders Deny Demands From Activists Acting On Behalf Of Atatiana Jefferson

Sacramento Kings forward Harrison Barnes and his wife, Brittany, are paying most costs for the funeral. Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Malik Jackson has committed to paying for the rest, the Jefferson family's attorney told the Dallas Morning News.

Barnes, an eight-year NBA veteran, told reporters he wanted to give back to the community.

"My wife and I wanted to do something for that family," Barnes said to reporters in a video posted by NBC Sports. "It was a tragic situation that happened. No one should be killed during a wellness check, but the biggest thing is, anytime someone has to go through that, the last thing they want to have to worry about is trying to come up with the money for a funeral."
Atatiana Jefferson's father delays her funeral and burial

"The information came from the neighbor to the call-takers and while it was relayed to the dispatch, it was determined to be an open structure call," Fort Worth interim Police Chief Ed Kraus told reporters on Tuesday.

"You are at a higher sensitivity to what is going on with that house," London said. "You have to be ready for anything. You are taking more of your environment in consideration to be ready for a surprise if there's one."
The first thing that comes to mind is often a burglary -- that's why officers search for signs of forced entry like a broken window or a damaged door.
Fort Worth shooting: Officers weren't asked to do a wellness check. Here's how it changed things - CNN

In a Facebook post, Detective JC Williams said Jefferson was "unjustly killed and is a victim."
upload_2019-10-19_6-32-54.jpeg
"There are NOT two sides to this story and this is not an 'us vs. them' situation," he wrote. "She, her nephew, the neighbor (are victims). These are the ones that any true cop feels for and wants to protect."

"Our team screwed up," he wrote. "Saying things like 'There's always one bad apple' doesn't help right now. Say 'I'm sorry' and because of this I will be better and take responsibility to make others better."

"People won't ever understand what you experience, but it doesn't matter," he wrote. "He got it wrong and we have to admit it and we can't tolerate it."

Relations with police were already tense in the city before Jefferson's death. Hers was the ninth police-involved shooting in Fort Worth this year, and the seventh fatal one.

"People don't trust cops that can't be objective and just and be consistent with right and wrong," Williams wrote. "This is our chance to say something is wrong and then continue to do what is right."
Police reform moves in fits and starts

BBM. You are absolutely right. In his interview, the neighbor said, "I didn't have a gun, so I called the police". I did not understand whether he did not have a gun on him, or did not own a gun at all, but it is obvious that he was afraid of approaching AJ's house without a gun. Meaning, he might have very possibly thought, something criminal.

I did find that odd when it was being said at that time this was only a wellness check. The burglary possibly occurring makes more sense. Imo.

When the neighbor first spoke I really couldn't understand why he didnt just walk over, and knock on the door himself to make sure everything was okay. Now I'm learning he said he didn't have a gun. That certainly implies he thought something criminal may have happened.

Imo, it does explain why LE didnt approach the open door since they thought a burglary may be in progress.

However, the shooting of AJ through her window is inexcusable.

Jmho

Marquis Jefferson argued that he had been denied any involvement in the funeral planning by the mortuary Body had engaged. He said that as his daughter's sole legal heir, the duty of arranging the funeral is his.
Judge halts funeral plans for woman shot at home by officer

Despite the legal action, Carter said Jefferson has a good relationship with his daughter's mother and siblings, who use the last name Carr.
"The Carr family is invited, there is room for them, they are more than welcome, they'll be respected, they'll be treated with dignity and that's what should happen," he said.
The order set a hearing to determine if the restraining order will continue is scheduled for Monday, the order said.
Atatiana Jefferson's father gets a restraining order to delay her funeral and burial - CNN
Did she have a Will? Why would dad be sole heir if her mom is alive? The articles don’t say one way or another

Did she have a Will? Why would dad be sole heir if her mom is alive? The articles don’t say one way or another

The quote below is snipped from the article. If the court found he had full authority, I'm guessing the mother's parental rights were legally terminated at some time. Either voluntarily or not. I honestly can't think of any other explanation.

"But Dallas County Judge Brenda Hull Thompson signed an order Friday saying that Marquis A. Jefferson, whom a death certificate filed to the court lists as Atatiana Jefferson's father, has full authority to make arrangements for her funeral and burial."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member