GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is court still on at 10 AM tomorrow morning? This case has been notorious for the defense delaying the proceedings, so I didn't know if someone had a bladder infection or some other such emergency....

Mentour Lawyer posted some final questions he emailed the juror:

• She (and perhaps) other jurors thought the judge was biased to the state
  • One juror thought DeCoste was a jerk (but she couldn't understand why he/she thought that)
  • Everyone (including this skeptical juror) believed that WA at least had advanced knowledge of the hit

Mentour Lawyer posted some final questions he emailed the juror:

• She (and perhaps) other jurors thought the judge was biased to the state
  • One juror thought DeCoste was a jerk (but she couldn't understand why he/she thought that)
  • Everyone (including this skeptical juror) believed that WA at least had advanced knowledge of the hit

Face palm.....

(bbm)

I'm sitting with my thoughts on the juror interview.

After Wendi's testimony, this deserves a boost.

Wendi Adelson's criminally lousy novel, "This is Our Story"
Outside the Law School Scam: Wendi Adelson's criminally lousy novel, "This is Our Story"

"Even at the risk of death by Prius-driving hitman, I am compelled to endorse the latex Markel’s decision not to read his wife's novel. This is Our Story is inartful, shallow, clichéd, oddly bland given its human trafficking theme, and terribly self-important. Interestingly though, Adelson states that her book purports to tell, in substantial part, her own story. In an afterword to her novel, Adelson states that “I, selfishly, wanted you to know a bit about my story, which has much – but not all – in common with Attorney Lily” (i.e. the main character in the novel). "

"In the novel, Lily, a lawyer in her early thirties, gives up a thriving corporate practice in DC to follow her seemingly bright and sweet, if exasperatingly blunder-prone, new husband Josh Stone to “this Godforsaken place”—namely, “North Florida State University” in “Hiawassee Springs,” where Josh holds a professorship. Unfortunately, Josh installs Lily in what he describes as an “adorable, cozy” country house that he has just rented without realizing that the place is infested with cockroaches. Lily overcomes her disgust at her new digs and the boredom of small town life by hooking up with a nonprofit and becoming a pro bono immigration attorney specializing in helping trafficked women, the only one in a 300-mile radius."

Warning. I attached the freaky book cover....also added this quote from the article:

"In the final chapter of the novel, Lily adopts a baby that [her client] Mila conceives post-rescue and then abandons…. Lily only informs her husband of the adoption after the fact. Though, as noted, Josh badly wanted children, Lily informs him that she adopted the kid in her maiden name and did not want him in her or her child’s lives…."

I read this years ago when the case came out. It was a truly dreadful book. I bet Dan did read it but to avoid a fight he said he didn't. The spanish accents were really cringeworthy.

It was self published and self indulgent on her part.....I would die of embarrassment if my partner wrote something like this and I had to recommend it.

Attachments

• 31XPHPow6mL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    31XPHPow6mL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 9
regarding medical insurance for KM's children, wouldn't they qualify for Medicaid ?, why did KM have to have a free paycheck from the Adelson Institute in order for them to get medical coverage? I went back and listened to her testimony again to make sure I heard her correctly and the excuse she gave just did not jive. As long as her income was below whatever the level is her children should have been eligible for CHIPS or whatever they call it now so I don't get her reasoning.??

Here's another little gem......BBM

https://www.amazon.com/This-Our-Story-Wendi-Adelson-ebook/dp/B005MRA7NQ

Biography
Wendi Adelson is a Floridian, born and raised, and executive director of a non-profit that focuses on immigrant advocacy. She is an attorney who has taught law students and represented clients in the fields of immigration, child advocacy, and disability rights. She has written for legal journals and produced a manual on special immigrant juvenile status. She has been a contestant on The Weakest Link, a contortionist, and now, a novelist. She resides in Florida with her boys.

regarding medical insurance for KM's children, wouldn't they qualify for Medicaid ?, why did KM have to have a free paycheck from the Adelson Institute in order for them to get medical coverage? I went back and listened to her testimony again to make sure I heard her correctly and the excuse she gave just did not jive. As long as her income was below whatever the level is her children should have been eligible for CHIPS or whatever they call it now so I don't get her reasoning.??

I think KM meant that she did not claim the tips income to the IRS because it would disqualify her from free Obamacare for her kids in addition to owing taxes on that money.

Here's another little gem......BBM

https://www.amazon.com/This-Our-Story-Wendi-Adelson-ebook/dp/B005MRA7NQ

Biography
Wendi Adelson is a Floridian, born and raised, and executive director of a non-profit that focuses on immigrant advocacy. She is an attorney who has taught law students and represented clients in the fields of immigration, child advocacy, and disability rights. She has written for legal journals and produced a manual on special immigrant juvenile status. She has been a contestant on The Weakest Link, a contortionist, and now, a novelist. She resides in Florida with her boys.

Literally or figuratively???

I think KM meant that she did not claim the tips income to the IRS because it would disqualify her from free Obamacare for her kids in addition to owing taxes on that money.

I agree. I think she meant her tips and she also claimed the dermatologist paid her partly in cash so she could pull this scam.

I agree. I think she meant her tips and she also claimed the dermatologist paid her partly in cash so she could pull this scam.
I don't think so. On direct she said she asked CA for employment because she needed to be in a certain income bracket to get (free?) state insurance for her kids. I felt the same way as @dizzychick -- didn't understand why she needed a paycheck/income to qualify. I expected this to be challenged on cross but it wasn't. Maybe I don't understand Fla. medicaid rules. Her direct testimony about this is at the beginning of this video.

I don't think so. On direct she said she asked CA for employment because she needed to be in a certain income bracket to get (free?) state insurance for her kids. I felt the same way as @dizzychick -- didn't understand why she needed a paycheck/income to qualify. I expected this to be challenged on cross but it wasn't. Maybe I don't understand Fla. medicaid rules. Her direct testimony about this is at the beginning of this video.

Well, if she actually made $30k in tips (as she claimed) and not a one time payoff c/o SG Solutions, she'd probably earn too much (combined with her normal salary) to qualify for CHIP or Medicaid. (FL rejected the Obamacare medicaid expansion.)

It's not a bad argument as to why she wouldn't report the income except for the fact that the defense never demonstrated it would be remotely possible for her to earn that much in tips from such a job.

Well, if she actually made $30k in tips (as she claimed) and not a one time payoff c/o SG Solutions, she'd probably earn too much (combined with her normal salary) to qualify for CHIP or Medicaid. (FL rejected the Obamacare medicaid expansion.)

It's not a bad argument as to why she wouldn't report the income except for the fact that the defense never demonstrated it would be remotely possible for her to earn that much in tips from such a job.
Sorry, I'm not understanding your post? Her pay from the Adelson Institute was on the books. Why would she need an on-the-book paycheck to qualify for Medicaid? She seemed to say that the reason she asked CA for a job was the she needed a real paycheck -- on the book income -- to get Medicaid. JMO.

Without actually reading WA's book I'm stunned. Various authors have posted bits and pieces of it that make known how deeply she detested DM. The more I learn about WA, the more she is revealed as a callous vengeful fiend. That she hated DM is an understatement. She wanted to erase him long before the murder. To think that when she wrote that lousy book, she was already determined to never allow any of her children to even carry DM's name. What in her warped mind could explain such a deep-seated resentment? How her loathing of him must have grown even more during the divorce and subsequent custody battles. IMO she is more despicable than I first thought. As negative as my opinion of her was, I didn't think that was possible.

IMO, the smothering influence of the venomous DA and her hatred for Dan also contributed to WA's loathing of Dan.

Sorry, I'm not understanding your post? Her pay from the Adelson Institute was on the books. Why would she need an on-the-book paycheck to qualify for Medicaid? She seemed to say that the reason she asked CA for a job was the she needed a real paycheck -- on the book income -- to get Medicaid. JMO.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the bottle girl job. I didn't know you need an "on the books" job to get Medicaid. I thought it was based upon income/assets.

My point was that she was hiding her income (or so she said) as a bottle girl in order to a) evade taxes and b) bring in income above the amount allowed by Medicaid/CHIP in order to qualify for the program without being in poverty.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the bottle girl job. I didn't know you need an "on the books" job to get Medicaid. I thought it was based upon income/assets.

My point was that she was hiding her income (or so she said) as a bottle girl in order to a) evade taxes and b) bring in income above the amount allowed by Medicaid/CHIP in order to qualify for the program without being in poverty.
I don't think you need an on-the-book job to qualify for medicaid. That is why her explanation of the AI job was confusing and why I thought it would be challenged on cross. And yes, her testimony about her off-the-books hidden income was clear. JMO.

I don't think you need an on-the-book job to qualify for medicaid. That is why her explanation of the AI job was confusing and why I thought it would be challenged on cross. And yes, her testimony about her off-the-books hidden income was clear. JMO.

OK, I understand now. Of course it makes no sense since it was a total lie, and the prosecution messed up by not grilling her about that.

KM's testimony was definitely confusing and was not adequately challenged by GC. I think the scripted story KM was trying to peddle was that if she applied for Medicaid the state may not believe that she has zero income if they ever investigated. She needed a relatively low level of income that she could report to the state in order to qualify for benefits and hide the rest of the money she was making as a bottle girl (you know...to pay for important things like "enhancements").

KM's testimony was definitely confusing and was not adequately challenged by GC. I think the scripted story KM was trying to peddle was that if she applied for Medicaid the state may not believe that she has zero income if they ever investigated. She needed a relatively low level of income that she could report to the state in order to qualify for benefits and hide the rest of the money she was making as a bottle girl (you know...to pay for important things like "enhancements").
Yes, that could have been KM's story but, as we know, she didn't really explain that logic on the stand. I agree that GC didn't adequately challenge KM on this point, especially since the AI payments were key to the State's theory. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23