Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

Oh no, so sad to read this! I really was hoping that Owen had gone off to have a grand adventure on his own terms. Reading his poem really touched me and gave me at least a little glimpse into who he was, and it's really heartbreaking to hear this news now.

While I am deeply saddened by this outcome, I am so thankful they found his body swiftly. May that bring his friends and family a sense of peace. Hoping that the autopsy is able to rule out foul play so that the family can have some kind of closure.

RIP Owen. I hope you yourself have found peace on the other side.

Really perfectly said. Perfectly said.

I’m sitting here bawling my eyes out. I didn’t know Owen, but I have a cousin at UofP and these last two weeks have shaken everyone up. Praying hard for everyone today and in the days ahead as answers are found.

Me too!!!!!

These cases always get to me because it hits too close to home for one reason or another, we all know someone like Owen......or any of the other thousands of cases represented here at WS

RIP buddy :(

I didn't know you but I have a son so close in age/looks to you :( The last few days I have prayed so hard for you to come home after what I hoped was just a short personal hiatus.

Now I pray for those affected by your passing, and I hope they find peace.

Why take money out of his ATM and then jump. Seems very strange to me.
To throw people off the path? I hate speculating about stuff like this when we don’t have answers ourselves and the discovery of the body is so raw, but perhaps he was hoping that no one would find him if he made it look like he left willingly.

There was another student some years back that went missing from Portland University by the name of Juan Garcia. He was found drowned as well. I am not sure if there was ever a thread here for him. I thought of him when Owen disappeared. Something did not seem right about his death and I feel the same about Owen.

There was another student some years back that went missing from Portland University by the name of Juan Garcia. He was found drowned as well. I am not sure if there was ever a thread here for him. I thought of him when Owen disappeared. Something did not seem right about his death and I feel the same about Owen.
Looked for a thread and that case was a little over ten years ago. There is not much information online about him nor is there a thread here.

This is so sad. I still wonder why he would take out money and bring a bag. Does anyone know how deep the river is?

Having followed similar threads here in past cases, its not all that unusual.

ETA wikipedia says 40 ft deep in the Portland area. There are massive ocean going cargo ships that come up the Columbia to the Port of Portland near Kelly Point, which is where the Willamette flows into the Columbia. The Willamette accomodates some fairly good sized Navy vessels during Fleet Week during Rose Festival.

Last edited:
Such a sad outcome.

When Owen first went missing, the bluff and the bank of the Willamette were the areas I thought should have been extensively searched, but the PPB said he was walking in the opposite direction.

It’s so hard to reconcile this with everything we’ve heard about Owen. I’ll wait to make any conclusions since it is all very confusing.

Why take money out of his ATM and then jump. Seems very strange to me.
It is very difficult for someone who doesn't struggle with mental illness to understand why someone would do this. He must have been struggling and didn't reveal it, maybe to spare his loved ones? He sounded like a very generous, thoughtful, self-less person...I thought maybe he took out the money to give to someone in need as his parting act of kindness. He sounds like that kind of person. For sensitive people, this world, this country is really quite painful. It takes a lot to have hope and carry on.

Such a sad outcome.

When Owen first went missing, the bluff and the bank of the Willamette were the areas I thought should have been extensively searched, but the PPB said he was walking in the opposite direction.

It’s so hard to reconcile this with everything we’ve heard about Owen. I’ll wait to make any conclusions since it is all very confusing.

Those bluffs are what caught my attention when I drove by campus yesterday, to see if more flyers needed to be posted.

So sad for Owen's family and friends. He seemed like a young man with a lot of promise.
:rose:

Such a sad outcome.

Agree with you. So sad for his family..my heart is breaking for them.

Body recovered from Willamette River in NW Portland believed to be missing UP student

So, so sorry to read this update.

Awaiting official confirmation, of course, but it sounds like his parents are resolved to this being OK.

This is one of two scenarios I thought likeliest, given the lack of sightings of him after his disappearance, coupled with his not wanting anyone to know where he was going or what his intentions were that night.

I had some hope when I heard about OK viewing train hopping videos and watching Into The Wild that he chose to seek out "fresh woods and pastures new," to quote Milton.

Unfortunately, it looks like he chose another course.

One which, sadly, is irreversible.

JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea