UK - 39 bodies found in lorry, Essex, 23 October 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear the question was a technical one ... will a mobile phone work .. inside a metal box ? Does the ferry have phone relay capability?

Is it possible to send a text message from inside a sealed shipping container .... 2 hrs off the coast?

I can speak from experience of ferries.

But a shipping container can act like a Faraday cage and block any signals in or out... It can and I'm not saying it will either.

It was a 10 hour trip, you can get a mobile phone signal roughly half an hour sailing time on a ship off the coast of the uk. When this boat got near the Thames estuary, say level with Southend, it will have been able to get a data signal while at sea, from memory, the sailing time from level with Southend into Tilbury docks is approx one hour.

It wasn't 2 hours off Coast, it was 2 hours from port incoming towards the Thames estuary. In that area, the coast is visible from port and starboard so you're fairly close to phone masts.

The answer to your question in simple terms is, yes the phone has clearly sent the message at 10:28pm which meant it got out of the container.

Also, some of these ships can have signal boosters for mobile phone transmissions.

PS I served in the RNLI for quite a while sailing the rescue boats so I'm familiar with these kind of things.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> someone looked on the business register and thought it strange that TM owns a transport company and a Salon. Rather than hysteria build up as to why, I answered it. Saves you lot delving into it and making assumptions.

My daughter has her hair done there too by the way.

Also, I'm a director of a Leasing company and I also am a director of a flower shop and a design agency - just to show there's nothing odd about being a director of multiple businesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brother of a Vietnamese woman tells the BBC he fears she is among the Essex lorry dead. Pham Tra My, 26, has not been heard from since she sent urgent messages home saying she could not breathe. Last know location was Belgium after a failed attempt to cross to the UK.

Dominic Casciani on Twitter

Ms Pham's brother asked the BBC to provide information to Essex Police in the hope that it will assist in identifying her.

Ms Pham's family say £30k was paid to people smugglers and she had made one failed attempt to enter the UK. They were aware she was making another attempted crossing - and her last messages came at 10.30pm on Tuesday night - 2 hours before the trailer reached the UK.

We don't know if Ms Pham is among the victims. This has not been confirmed by the police. But the messages she sent to her family, hours before the dead were found, are in the next tweet. Please be warned that they are upsetting.

"I am really, really sorry, Mum and Dad, my trip to a foreign land has failed," Ms Pham wrote. "I am dying, I can't breathe. I love you very much Mum and Dad. I am sorry, Mother."

View attachment 211163

Ms Pham’s brother told the BBC that her journey to the UK had begun on 3 October. She had instructed the family not to contact her because “the organisers” did not allow her to receive calls.

“She flew to China and stayed there for a couple days, then left for France. She called us when she reached each destination," Mr Pham told the BBC. "The first attempt she made to cross the border to the UK was 19 October, but she got caught. and turned back."

At time of writing, the BBC has been provided information on THREE Vietnamese nationals whose families believe they were in the trailer based on their movements, messages and loss of contact since Tuesday/Wednesday.

I applaud the family for speaking out. A poster above had mentioned that the family might be prosecuted, but that does not matter in my opinion. And I don't think they will be.

This family speaking out now has made us realize that they are not Chinese Nationals and they are potentially Vietnamese victims. My heart breaks for all of their families

Sky News aren't naming the people arrested today, so there's definitely a grey area here.

I applaud the family for speaking out. A poster above had mentioned that the family might be prosecuted, but that does not matter in my opinion. And I don't think they will be.

This family speaking out now has made us realize that they are not Chinese Nationals and they are potentially Vietnamese victims. My heart breaks for all of their families

I honestly don't think they will be prosecuted. In human smuggling instances, the smugglers are the only ones considered criminals. I'll be back in a jiffy with a link.

At INTERPOL, our activities focus on identifying and arresting the criminals involved in smuggling, but not the migrants themselves. Our response includes:

• Operations to dismantle the criminal networks behind people smuggling and related crimes;
  • Specialized training for frontline officers in our member countries;
  • Investigative support for complex international cases;
  • The INTERPOL Specialized Operational Network of experts on smuggling.
People smuggling People smuggling

That was me and I just asked if they would be, not claimed they would be. Just wanted to clarify.

Two more people have been arrested in connection with 39 bodies found in the back of a lorry in Essex.

@Julian5News has the latest as police continue effort to identify the victims.

(Video)

Channel 5 News on Twitter

Police at the property in #Warrington are continuing to take pictures and evidence from the house of two people arrested in connection with the deaths of 39 people in the back of a lorry in Essex @LBCNews

(Video)

Tom Dunn on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members