TX - James, 48 & Michelle Butler, 46, driving RV to Fort Lauderdale from Corpus Christi, 14 Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's heartbreaking. And they had 3 cats in the RV who were traveling all this time with them too. Makes me literally sick to my stomach that something like this can happen to people just living their best lives, enjoying travel and each other's company, with their pets.

I have to say it's one of my most upsetting cases to follow here on WS, and that's saying a lot. Maybe because my hubby and I have talked of doing exactly the same thing and also of taking our animals along with us when and if we ever do. (Not so sure I want to now.)

I'M so worried about these people. I sent the link to my mom, which, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have. Few years back, when my Dad got sick with cancer, they bought an rv and took off for Florida (from Nova Scotia) staying at Walmarts along the way. They wanted to stay on one of the beaches, but weren't allowed due to having the dog with them, but not only was the dog with them, they took all 9 (nine) cats with them too! (My mom is a sucker for animals and when her female had babies, she couldn't stand to part with any of them.) So this really hits home, and once again, this year, her and her new partner will be headed to Florida in the next week or so for the winter.

Does anyone know how they would have accessed the beach where they were last seen? Would they have driven along the beach or are there roads through the dunes that cut over to the beach. I'm just trying to get a picture of how easy or difficult it would be for criminals to ambush unsuspecting campers.
There are access roads but they are few and far between. I’m having a hard time ascertaining exactly where they were found but, generally, there are lots of isolated pockets in that area.

They probably would have been driving on the beach after coming in one of the Park Roads. It is usually heavily fished and October is a big fishing month down here. The bodies were found at Mile Marker 263 and the pier is at MM 262. It is just up from Padre Island National Seashore which pretty desolate depending on how far you travel. All beach not roadway

October 29, 2019 at 10:37 am Sheriff's Office: 2 Bodies Discovered Buried At Texas Beach

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Investigators are trying to identify two bodies found buried at a South Texas beach amid the search for a missing New Hampshire couple.

The Kleberg County Sheriff’s Office says a deputy located a woman’s remains Sunday in a shallow grave on Padre Island, near Corpus Christi. Chief Deputy Jaime Garza says a man’s body was discovered Monday beneath the first body.

Authorities suspect foul play. The remains have been transported to a medical examiner.

Garza says it’s too early to say whether the bodies are connected to the search for 48-year-old James Butler and his wife, 46-year-old Michelle.

The sheriff’s office on Friday announced the Butlers were reported missing, along with their truck and RV. Relatives last heard from them Oct. 14 and believe the pair visited Padre Island.

Sheriff’s officials didn’t immediately return messages Tuesday.

They were headed to Florida to workcamp (working for your RV space and sometimes pay). No word on what they were doing in Texas but I can bet they were doing the same there also. My husband and I workcamped in Texas for 5 years. There is a huge community online for this type of fulltime RV living.
SCROLL TO SECOND VIDEO for family interview Second body found as authorities search the 'Bowl' south of Bob Hall Pier
From the interview with James sister they had been out west and was between jobs (being full time RVers this is totally normal)they wanted to spend some time on the Texas coast and had found out they could stay on the beach for free for 14 days so decided to stay a couple weeks before moving on to Ft Lauderdale to the Christmas Tree gig they had lined up for a month they mentioned elsewhere they had also planned to visit New Orleans on the way there, we know they most likely will not get that chance.
As a full timer myself I will not and refuse to let things like this keep me from doing it. If anything it will only make me more aware than I already am. To live like today is the last and look forward to each day as the true blessing it really truly is.

So very tragic. My heart is heavy for their loved ones. This is just awful

Last edited:
PINS beach area sign. 4 wheel drive warning and under it is the warning sign for smugglers and to not travel alone in remote areas. These signs are posted in several places there

Attachments

• 4x4-warning-sign.jpg
    4x4-warning-sign.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 145
It’s only 2.5 hours or so from Corpus to the border, something to keep in mind and be aware of. MOO
In case this is the bridge as discussed by family members and comments of those on Missing FB page...putting this out there to show several driving options.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Agreed Brownsville is closer, so does determination of border crossing make a difference?

From campsite to the International bridge in Del Rio that the truck & RV crossed is about 292 miles 4hrs 45min - 5 hours
Yes..agreed. That's what came up on the map I posted above. Sure wish LE would confirm or disaffirm this report. Family has posted it on the Missing FB page, but not understanding why it's not officially stated. That along with the date of the footage of Oct 21. IMO

It's heartbreaking. And they had 3 cats in the RV who were traveling all this time with them too. Makes me literally sick to my stomach that something like this can happen to people just living their best lives, enjoying travel and each other's company, with their pets.

I have to say it's one of my most upsetting cases to follow here on WS, and that's saying a lot. Maybe because my hubby and I have talked of doing exactly the same thing and also of taking our animals along with us when and if we ever do. (Not so sure I want to now.)
My DH and I are with you in these thoughts. This is what we plan to do also. So this case hits very close to home. They looked like a happy and energetic couple and it makes me so sad. I am praying for justice and that their precious cats are found.

I just looked up a used 2018 Chevy Silverado 250 4 door crew cab and it lists in my area for $49,995. I think it's diesel and I don't know if they had a crew cab or a super cab. A super cab is worth more. The travel trailer I couldn't look up because I don't know the year or model. But the link above states that it's a Cedar Creek travel trailer and it looks to be a good length from the photos. A Chevy Silverado 250 has a lot of pulling power and being a diesel, they are in great demand. I just can't imagine!

I was thinking the fastest route to Mexico would be to go thru Brownsville or McAllen.
Not all the way over to the Del Rio bridge.
I agree that it is. If Del Rio Bridge was chosen instead, perhaps there would be a reason for this, like a certain destination in Mexico. At this point, who knows if, where, when for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member