Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to note, it has never been verified whose phone was found on the bathroom floor. We are only guessing it might be Honey's.

In my post #397 I mentioned the significance of Honey's phone being found on the groundfloor bathroom floor by the housekeeper, after Honey had been killed. In a reply post #398 it was mentioned that there was no proof that this was her phone. Now Kevin Donovan in The Currant podcast broadcast today said that it was her phone. The Killing Of Barry And Honey Sherman The Current podcast

I am just posting this for clarity. IMO

In my post #397 I mentioned the significance of Honey's phone being found on the groundfloor bathroom floor by the housekeeper, after Honey had been killed. In a reply post #398 it was mentioned that there was no proof that this was her phone. Now Kevin Donovan in The Currant podcast broadcast today said that it was her phone. The Killing Of Barry And Honey Sherman The Current podcast

I am just posting this for clarity. IMO

Thanks Sphinx, I'm glad Donovan has now confirmed that.

Thanks dotr. The interviewer in this podcast was excellent and asked pertinent questions that we all wanted to ask. I will listen again, but wanted to note Donovan's reply to the question of who he thought murdered Barry and Honey.

Donovan has a "great, strong suspicion" of who killed them. We know from a previous interview that he thinks the motive was money. He has discounted outlandish theories (Clinton Foundation, Israeli Massad) and rival generic firms. He said rival firms sue---they don't kill. KD interviewed 250 people.

He believes that the killer was close enough to the Sherman's to know their comings and goings and their busy schedules. It was unusual for them to even be home on the Wednesday evening due to BS usually working even later than 8:30 pm and HS's busy agenda that entailed her being out many evenings. But the killer knew that they would be home Wednesday night, and he knew that nobody would be expected at their home on Thursday, the next day after they were killed.

He thinks the killer came over to discuss something, and the conversation turned bad.
(We have heard from an expert that the manner of death was up close and personal).

I won't comment on who I think Donovan suspects, but we have read his recent articles about HS's sister who has claimed that HS promised her millions of dollars, and we have read leaked information about JS in greater detail.

Thanks dotr. The interviewer in this podcast was excellent and asked pertinent questions that we all wanted to ask. I will listen again, but wanted to note Donovan's reply to the question of who he thought murdered Barry and Honey.

Donovan has a "great, strong suspicion" of who killed them. We know from a previous interview that he thinks the motive was money. He has discounted outlandish theories (Clinton Foundation, Israeli Massad) and rival generic firms. He said rival firms sue---they don't kill. KD interviewed 250 people.

He believes that the killer was close enough to the Sherman's to know their comings and goings and their busy schedules. It was unusual for them to even be home on the Wednesday evening due to BS usually working even later than 8:30 pm and HS's busy agenda that entailed her being out many evenings. But the killer knew that they would be home Wednesday night, and he knew that nobody would be expected at their home on Thursday, the next day after they were killed.

He thinks the killer came over to discuss something, and the conversation turned bad.
(We have heard from an expert that the manner of death was up close and personal).

I won't comment on who I think Donovan suspects, but we have read his recent articles about HS's sister who has claimed that HS promised her millions of dollars, and we have read leaked information about JS in greater detail.

Thanks casesensitive.
I'm not sure I agree with kd on the issue of them not usually being home together. They would have been home every night together except if one of them was travelling. I doubt anyone except Barry knew what time he would be home that night, so I think the killers dealt with honey and then waited for barry, whenever he arrived.
Interesting that kd divulged that HS stopped to do some shopping on the way home, this had been wondered about here but never confirmed until now. If her phone was on the bathroom floor I wonder where her purchases were found?
As far as who the murderer is or who hired them, it seems to me that MS would be disadvantaged by their deaths- I assume that she had some ability to solicit $ from her sister, and less so from Barry's and honeys children. Unless she was named in HS will.
My read of kd's comments re the identity of the murderers is that he won't say what he thinks, but there are very few individuals that would have known their schedules and travel plans, and benefited financially from their murders. Imo it's obvious, based on his earlier articles, who he thinks was involved.
Finally, I don't feel that kd is accurate that someone came over and the conversation just turned bad. Someone brought rope or plastic ties with them, and had the mental fortitude and lack of compassion to strangle the Sherman's in cold blood. And seemingly had the skill to avoid detection, and leave presumably few clues. I believe this was planned, and carried out by professionals, hired by someone close to them. Moo

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...herman-were-a-murder-suicide-author-1.5339243
Oct 29 2019
Let's start by talking about that crime scene. How were Honey and Barry Sherman found?

It was obviously quite upsetting, and dramatic at the same time for the people who found them.

Both were sitting in their basement swimming pool room, legs outstretched away from the pool, backs up against a sort of a railing that goes around the pool, [a] metre high. But most awful was the fact that there were men's belts looped around their [necks], and then tied to the railing just a few inches above them. And that kept them sitting upright.

They were actually found by a real estate agent who was showing the house ... Is that right?

That's correct. They'd probably been in the house, dead for almost two days. But a realtor that works for the Sherman family brought in prospective buyers — the house was on the market — and just came down the stairs ... and saw this very odd and horrifying tableau. "
Oct 29 2019
Barry and Honey Sherman: New book reveals troubled police probe into murder mystery
“It’s a very personal thing to strangle somebody,” Donovan said in a later interview on CTV News Channel. He said Barry Sherman was frequently known to say that if someone wanted him dead, they could shoot him as he come out of his office each night."

"Donovan says the person or people who committed the crime knew the Shermans’ movements and routines, and knew they were both home on that Wednesday night, which was unusual given their busy schedules."

“I think the police officers assigned to the (Sherman) case were good, but there probably weren’t enough of them,” Donovan said on Your Morning.

The time the Shermans were discovered coincided with a Toronto police investigation that eventually led to the arrest and conviction of serial killer Bruce McArthur. That required tremendous police resources."

“The Billionaire Murders,” excerpts of which were published in the Star, also documents two autopsies performed on Barry Sherman’s body. The first, conducted by a pathologist with about seven years’ experience, found Barry Sherman’s death was a likely suicide because a tiny neck bone called the hyoid wasn’t snapped, long believed to be necessary to a determination of murder by strangulation.

But a second, privately hired pathologist concluded it was a targeted double murder. That finding was based on the pathologist’s previous research that showed that the hyoid doesn’t always snap during strangulation (in fact, Honey’s hyoid was not broken either), that Barry couldn’t have died by suicide in the position he was found, and that markings on the couple’s wrists showed they had both been bound at one point."

Last edited:
I initially thought that the murder was likely carried out after a conversation escalated.

A friend pointed out though that mobile phones would have to be turned off or left elsewhere to avoid incriminating ping evidence, so I think it was likely premeditated.

I have read The Billionaire Murders. (I read fast, plus couldn't put it down.) As a longtime true crime reader, I have to say it is excellent. A lot of research, but what impresses me most is that he manages to humanize both BS and HS. Both had lifelong and loyal friendships, which I think speaks well of them. He obviously can't disclose his own theory of who may have been responsible (nor can we speculate here), but if I read between the lines correctly, I thought it was pretty clear what he thinks. BTW - they actually had two homes on the market, the other in Forest Hill (Toronto), and intended to live in whichever hadn't sold until the new one was built. (If this was reported previously, I missed it.)

Just finished listening to the interview. It appears to me that KD has no doubt in his mind that a double murder occurred. He even has a suspect in mind. No murder/suicide for him.

I am assuming he knows more than we sleuthers do, based on likely off-the-record conversations with various people involved.

KD, suggests the perpetrator(s) was someone who knew the Shermans and their habits well.

Do you think KD suspects someone in the family?

I have read The Billionaire Murders. (I read fast, plus couldn't put it down.) As a longtime true crime reader, I have to say it is excellent. A lot of research, but what impresses me most is that he manages to humanize both BS and HS. Both had lifelong and loyal friendships, which I think speaks well of them. He obviously can't disclose his own theory of who may have been responsible (nor can we speculate here), but if I read between the lines correctly, I thought it was pretty clear what he thinks. BTW - they actually had two homes on the market, the other in Forest Hill (Toronto), and intended to live in whichever hadn't sold until the new one was built. (If this was reported previously, I missed it.)

wow, you are a fast reader!!! Thanks for the comments!

Just finished listening to the interview. It appears to me that KD has no doubt in his mind that a double murder occurred. He even has a suspect in mind. No murder/suicide for him.

I am assuming he knows more than we sleuthers do, based on likely off-the-record conversations with various people involved.

KD, suggests the perpetrator(s) was someone who knew the Shermans and their habits well.

:)

Yes I think he does.

It is unclear to me why the family (ie children) would want to hire detectives and Greenspan to refute the m/s theory if in fact they (kid or kids) were directly involved in the murder, and the police were seemingly ready to conclude this was a m/s.
Instead, I think that kd’s Suspect is someone who is associated with a member of the family; and who stood to gain financially from the children inheriting the estate. Spouse/partner/business partner of the children all would seem to fit this possible profile.
All moo.

Huge article.
Who killed Barry and Honey Sherman? A new book offers fascinating insights. - Macleans.ca
by Anne Kingston
Oct 30, 2019
"Q: The book also chronicles fractures after the Shermans’ deaths, including Honey’s sister being exiled from the family. You also write about how Jack Kay, Barry Sherman’s right hand at Apotex for 35 years and a trustee of the estate, was subject of a rumour floated by Jonathon that he was somehow involved in the murders, and he was later kicked out of Apotex. Some of this is stranger than fiction.

A: Jack Kay was asked to come back to be in charge at Apotex. One year and one day after the murders, Jonathon Sherman and an Apotex executive ushered Kay out of the building. There’s no gold watch, no party. There’s mediation going on now because Kay was not offered anything after 35 years of service. It is the case that there is a lot of finger-pointing going on, as I report, where they initially blame Frank D’Angelo, then Jonathan says Jack Kay was involved. When Greenspan has written me, he says that my own sources, who I don’t identify, may be guilty as well. There’s a lot of finger-pointing."

It is unclear to me why the family (ie children) would want to hire detectives and Greenspan to refute the m/s theory if in fact they (kid or kids) were directly involved in the murder, and the police were seemingly ready to conclude this was a m/s.
Instead, I think that kd’s Suspect is someone who is associated with a member of the family; and who stood to gain financially from the children inheriting the estate. Spouse/partner/business partner of the children all would seem to fit this possible profile.
All moo.
It would be interesting to know if all the children wanted Greenspan brought into the case.
Certainly seems to be bad blood between Jonathan and Jack Kay.
I’m sure Jack Kay would know the dynamics of the Sherman family very well.

It would be interesting to know if all the children wanted Greenspan brought into the case.
Certainly seems to be bad blood between Jonathan and Jack Kay.
I’m sure Jack Kay would know the dynamics of the Sherman family very well.

One thing the book seems to make clear is that the children are/ were not a united group, and their individual relationships with each parent differed. For example, the elder two received vastly more financial support from BS, and HS disapproved. The younger two got much less.

Plus, something I must say I wondered about (and which is likely insignificant) - the younger three were BS's biological children, not HS's. (Surrogacy was still pretty rare back then, and I don't think in vitro fertilization was well-developed. Three different surrogates from three different US states were involved; they all gave birth in Canada. ) It always struck me as odd that BS was so candid about this whole matter with their friends & associates. If I were HS, who had suffered many miscarriages, this could have been hurtful, and perhaps also was for the kids.

One thing the book seems to make clear is that the children are/ were not a united group, and their individual relationships with each parent differed. For example, the elder two received vastly more financial support from BS, and HS disapproved. The younger two got much less.

Plus, something I must say I wondered about (and which is likely insignificant) - the younger three were BS's biological children, not HS's. (Surrogacy was still pretty rare back then, and I don't think in vitro fertilization was well-developed. Three different surrogates from three different US states were involved; they all gave birth in Canada. ) It always struck me as odd that BS was so candid about this whole matter with their friends & associates. If I were HS, who had suffered many miscarriages, this could have been hurtful, and perhaps also was for the kids.
Absolutely agree that it could be hurtful to both Honey and the children for it to be so public.
I presume they had no biological connection at all to Honey, ie not even her eggs used.
Hope the children met their birth mothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd