CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to the podcast 'To Live and Die in LA" with 'testimony' from family and friends and thought I would post a couple of thoughts:

1) The 'friend's' story is reported to have changed multiple times, which we all know is suspicious. If she hasn't shown up for any of the searches and in general doesn't seem concerned about what happened to Matthew, then I would consider that suspicious also - but the family would know. Personally, I don't buy that they sat on her doorstep for hours on end. I would like to know more about how they met - it was said they were 'new' "friends". No comment was given regarding possible gang connections...obviously PD should be looking into this more in detail.

2) Matt requesting a gun from his dad and then later asking to take a picture of it so he can post it on Snapchat - my opinion knowing only the available info we all have - is that he probably wanted to show it off that night in whatever they had planned. The post with the picture to me looks like a message - maybe there was some trouble he was in. Could he have owed money possibly for drugs?

3) The Topanga Tower comments......makes me wonder, what exactly the construction is all about and who exactly owns the property currently. Sure seems like whatever is going on there - they don't want anybody around. It might not have to do with Matt's disappearance directly but the attention it brought to the area seems to be unwanted to put it mildly. Makes me wonder what is going on with the tower exactly.

One more thing....the car in the strange spot that it was in...and the key close by on the ground next to a rock....would Matt just have thrown the key down? The key as well as the inside of the car should have been tested for DNA for sure. Just in case the car was just discarded in that location by someone else. I guess if it was, someone could have just launched the key into the canyon...it is all very bizarre.

The spot on the T-shirt should also be tested to check whether it is indeed blood and if so, whether it is Matt's.

Wildcats, I hope they are making progress behind the scenes and you can get more information soon.

Just listened to the podcast 'To Live and Die in LA" with 'testimony' from family and friends and thought I would post a couple of thoughts:

1) The 'friend's' story is reported to have changed multiple times, which we all know is suspicious. If she hasn't shown up for any of the searches and in general doesn't seem concerned about what happened to Matthew, then I would consider that suspicious also - but the family would know. Personally, I don't buy that they sat on her doorstep for hours on end. I would like to know more about how they met - it was said they were 'new' "friends". No comment was given regarding possible gang connections...obviously PD should be looking into this more in detail.

2) Matt requesting a gun from his dad and then later asking to take a picture of it so he can post it on Snapchat - my opinion knowing only the available info we all have - is that he probably wanted to show it off that night in whatever they had planned. The post with the picture to me looks like a message - maybe there was some trouble he was in. Could he have owed money possibly for drugs?

3) The Topanga Tower comments......makes me wonder, what exactly the construction is all about and who exactly owns the property currently. Sure seems like whatever is going on there - they don't want anybody around. It might not have to do with Matt's disappearance directly but the attention it brought to the area seems to be unwanted to put it mildly. Makes me wonder what is going on with the tower exactly.

One more thing....the car in the strange spot that it was in...and the key close by on the ground next to a rock....would Matt just have thrown the key down? The key as well as the inside of the car should have been tested for DNA for sure. Just in case the car was just discarded in that location by someone else. I guess if it was, someone could have just launched the key into the canyon...it is all very bizarre.

The spot on the T-shirt should also be tested to check whether it is indeed blood and if so, whether it is Matt's.

Wildcats, I hope they are making progress behind the scenes and you can get more information soon.

this was my thought as well regarding them sitting outside her house. He apparently came over at nine. So after they got coke and weed they sat outside her house for what, seven hours?? I could understand 3-4 hours. Not seven.

@wildcats821 , have you had a lawyer contact the police about testing or releasing the evidence? Or the podcast investigator guy with police connections?

It may be worth it to approach the press about this specific issue. “My brother is missing, the police have a bloody shirt but refuse to test it” would be a headline that sticks out.

https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/six-years-dateline-s-missing-america-134-still-missing-n1096226

Matthew Weaver Jr., 21, was last seen in the early morning hours of August 10, 2018, near Malibu, California. He had hung out with a friend until around 4:30 a.m., and then drove to the Malibu Canyons after dropping the friend at her house. His car was found the next morning off a trail near Malibu. Since Matthew’s disappearance, authorities, friends, and family have conducted multiple searches for the missing young man, but nothing of significance has been found. Family is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to Matthew’s whereabouts

Are you sure that is true in Malibu? In my opinion as a resident recalling past cases, Malibu/Lost Hills has displayed a weak track record in closing missing persons crimes and remains identification cases. Relative to other agencies their department is well funded, adequately staffed, and has few competing priorities. Respectfully, I am personally not convinced that they are maximizing their efforts to assist victims or their families. However, I do not want to side track from the case at hand here by debating Malibu's crime score card. I appreciate your point and just hope that they have not abandoned their investigations efforts and duty to assist the Weaver family.

Would the state missing persons unit be of any help? Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit

Question for the family or anyone who knows.... The google map that has been created that documents the items that have been found and their location. It lists the hat, the key, the car etc. But all these other "tips" that it shows, there is no description as to what was found. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to see what these items were?

This is the map in question:
Matthew Weaver - Map - Google My Maps

Thank you and I hope Mathew is found soon.

No, I was speaking of the body found in the area (burned, after recent fires). The Coroner's Office in LA publishes records when they identify a person. I think I've found a search form, but need more info. I need the date that the body in question was found.

However, at this point, I seriously doubt it is Matthew, as if that had been known, it would have been news.

No, I was speaking of the body found in the area (burned, after recent fires). The Coroner's Office in LA publishes records when they identify a person. I think I've found a search form, but need more info. I need the date that the body in question was found.

However, at this point, I seriously doubt it is Matthew, as if that had been known, it would have been news.
First of the three such cases that I am aware of:

NamUs #UP54678:
Date Body Found: November 17, 2018
Location Found: Malibu, California
ME/C Case Number: 2018-08770
Sex: Unsure
Race / Ethnicity: Uncertain
NamUs Case Created: January 15, 2019
Circumstances of Recovery: “Bone fragments including a partial skull were located in a community park after the Woolsey Fire.”
1 Missing Person Exclusion: Elaine Park
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

NOV. 21, 2018
3:50 PM
“A broken skull and other bone fragments found in the scorched hills of Latigo Canyon came from a person who died well before the Woolsey fire, Los Angeles County sheriff’s investigators said Wednesday.

A landowner spotted what appeared to be human bones last week as he was checking fire damage to his property off Latigo Canyon Road, about a mile north of Ocean View Road, Sgt. Marcelo Quintero said.

[SBM]

Investigators believe the wildfire may have dislodged the remains from where they were stuck higher up the hilly terrain, and sent them tumbling down onto the pathway where they were found, on property owned by the Ava and Cole Weintraub Family Park conservancy group.

’The skull was broken into pieces but we were able to piece it somewhat together,’ Quintero said. ‘The anthropologists at the coroner’s office believe [the remains] definitely predated the fire.’

Coroner’s investigators believe the remains could have been there between six months and 50 years, he said. They have some fire damage, he said, but no bite marks.

‘We only have parts of a skull, parts of a jaw and possibly some cervical vertebra pieces,’ Quintero said.

[SBM]”
Remains found above Malibu are not those of a Woolsey fire victim, officials say

[All BBM]
The location appears to be approximately 16 driving miles from Rosas Overlook (I am not a local, so please correct me if I am wrong):
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
BDA61D77-E6E2-421B-A8D5-896147DAE207.jpeg

This is the one I was curious about. I'm wondering if this is what you are talking about. Matthew's sister has said he did not have any jewelry. These remains were found with a watch.

View attachment 204250

Yes, this is the one Im curious about. I didn't remember it being 21 miles away, I remembered more like 7 or 8, which is totally possible.

So it sounds like the remains were never identified?
Second of the three cases. Still unidentified according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner’s website:
Case Number
2019-00586
Approximate Age
UNK year
Ethnicity
UNK
Date Found
January 20, 2019
Hair Color
UNK
Eye Color
UNK
Weight
UNK
Height
UNK
Tattoos
None seen - skeletal case
Jewelry
Analog Watch: Casio MQ24 model 1330
Comments
On 01/20/19 a man walking his dog in the recent Woolsey Fire area discovered the skeletal remains. He reported the find to LASD on 01/21/19. LASD responded to the scene and secured the area. The Coroner SORT responded to the scene on 01/22/19 and searched the area - collecting human and suspected non-human remains. The skull may have been at this location prior to the fire based lack of evidence of charring on the right side.”
Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner

The case does not appear to be in NamUs.

A bit more info. here:
JAN. 22, 2019
11:45 AM
“Human remains were discovered late Monday near a scorched Malibu hillside and investigators are attempting to determine how the person died.

The body was found about 4 p.m. near the intersection of Latigo Canyon Road and Calicut Road. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials responded early Tuesday when there was enough light to conduct the investigation, according to the department.

It was not clear whether the remains were of a man or a woman. Investigators said they had not found any evidence of foul play.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Human remains found near Malibu hillside where Woolsey fire burned

Also about 16 driving miles from Rosas Outlook:
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
0A828020-261D-43F1-927B-3094283F4F44.jpeg

The first case (2018-08770) does not show up as existing in the LA Coroner/ME's database at all. Which is weird.

The second case (2019-00586) has been identified and it's not Matthew.

Latigo Canyon is pretty populated (lots of homes). The skull was found not far from where a couple of other people died trying to escape the fire. Matthew would have had to have been living up that way for a few months (I'd think) to be in that place during the fire. By road or by trail, Latigo Canyon's fire scar is about 20 miles from Rosas Overlook. Or, he hiked 20 miles right after he disappeared, died, and had parts of his body found during the fire (although, hard to say if that skull was identified as human, given that the record number no longer works at the ME's office).

The first case (2018-08770) does not show up as existing in the LA Coroner/ME's database at all. Which is weird.

The second case (2019-00586) has been identified and it's not Matthew.
Could you share the source of the information regarding the identity of the second set of remains? Curious.

Second of the three cases. Still unidentified according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner’s website:
Case Number
2019-00586
Approximate Age
UNK year
Ethnicity
UNK
Date Found
January 20, 2019
Hair Color
UNK
Eye Color
UNK
Weight
UNK
Height
UNK
Tattoos
None seen - skeletal case
Jewelry
Analog Watch: Casio MQ24 model 1330
Comments
On 01/20/19 a man walking his dog in the recent Woolsey Fire area discovered the skeletal remains. He reported the find to LASD on 01/21/19. LASD responded to the scene and secured the area. The Coroner SORT responded to the scene on 01/22/19 and searched the area - collecting human and suspected non-human remains. The skull may have been at this location prior to the fire based lack of evidence of charring on the right side.”

The case does not appear to be in NamUs.

A bit more info. here:
JAN. 22, 2019
11:45 AM
“Human remains were discovered late Monday near a scorched Malibu hillside and investigators are attempting to determine how the person died.

The body was found about 4 p.m. near the intersection of Latigo Canyon Road and Calicut Road. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials responded early Tuesday when there was enough light to conduct the investigation, according to the department.

It was not clear whether the remains were of a man or a woman. Investigators said they had not found any evidence of foul play.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Human remains found near Malibu hillside where Woolsey fire burned

Also about 16 driving miles from Rosas Outlook:
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
View attachment 219982

Could you share the source of the information regarding the identity of the second set of remains? Curious.

Thank you so much! Found him. Only 27 years old. Rest In Peace:

I’m not sure if you are all aware but we lost a good guy. This was Matthew‘s best friend Dyer (Matthew in the background). On December 10th Dyer was in a terrible car accident. He passed away in the hospital. Dyer, there are simply no words that can express just how much you meant to our family. You have been there since day one… You put yourself at risk countless times searching those mountains for your best friend Matt. You were absolutely torn to pieces over his disappearance. I still can’t believe this has happened. My heart goes out to your family. Dyer we will never forget you and you will be forever missed. I’d like to think that you and Matt are ridin’ together again. RIP Dyer Blankenship!

Attachments

• F2131973-90E9-4256-8357-DC92D9460C52.jpeg
    F2131973-90E9-4256-8357-DC92D9460C52.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 96
@wildcats821

I am so very sorry about this awful news. Dyer talked the talk and walked the walk - as my dad used to say. He proved his friendship. Over and over. And then this happens. It feels like being piled on and you wonder if it will ever end. Wish I had the perfect words to help with your journey of grief. I know there are no words. Be assured there are many many folks who do care. Please take care dear girl.

FLY HIGH DYER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member