CANADA Canada - Shelly Bacsu, 16, Hinton, AB, 3 May 1983

RCMP Historical Homicide Unit races against time to solve Alberta cold cases
March 11 2018 rbbm
"This is the life of a cold case investigator with the Alberta RCMP’s Historical Homicide Unit. Ten investigators are assigned to the Edmonton-based unit, which is responsible for reviewing more than 230 unsolved homicides across the province.

“This type of work brings in a special and unique kind of investigator,” said Staff Sgt. Jason Zazulak, the head of the unit. “You need to be very patient, you need to be methodical, you need to be the kind of person who will go down whatever path you may think of, however unlikely it may be.” "

"Searchers turned up a number of Bacsu’s belongings in different places across town. Her grey jacket found along the Athabasca River. A smashed cassette tape was discovered on Highway 16, while along a leg of Highway 40, they found an envelope with her name on it. "

ik-20180306-042-jpg.jpg

Markers denoting areas of investigation into the 1983 disappearance of Shelly-Ann Bacsu. Ian Kucerak Ian Kucerak / Ian Kucerak/Postmedia
"Why the items were so spread out is “one of the questions we’re trying to answer,” Riopel said."

RCMP using old files, new techniques in attempt to crack cold cases of three missing women
Exactly one year has passed since RCMP Staff Sgt. Jason Zazulak, the head of K Division’s historical homicide unit, put out a call to the public for tips on cold cases involving three missing women: Shelly Ann Bacsu, Stephanie Stewart and Deanna McNeil.

All are presumed dead. Their remains have never been found.

In the year since that public appeal, RCMP have re-examined old evidence and gone back to witnesses, but have also listened to potential new information and used modern technology to try to break the cases open.

The results have been frustrating.

rbbm.
Shelly-Anne still missing after 30 years
"The teenager never came home, and reports collected by police state she was last seen at about 8:30 p.m. on Highway 16. The teenager was 800 metres west of the edge of Hinton’s town limits walking towards her family’s home on an acreage by Highway 40. Hundreds of accounts have been collected by investigators, including two recollections describing someone getting into a van that appeared to have a B.C. license plate on the Yellowhead highway west of Hinton. Many initially believed she was a runaway until some of Shelly-Anne’s clothes were found by the Athabasca River a few days after her disappearance. Few clues have turned up since."

Shelly Ann Bacsu was case X for me. The first case I ever read about online. Since then I've read everything I came across about her case.

Canada's Missing | Case details

The Doe Network: Case File 28DFAB

The Doe Network:
Case File 28DFAB

SBacsu.jpg
SBacsu1.jpg
SBacsu2.jpg

Left and Center: Bacsu, circa 1982; Right: Age-progressed by NCMEC to age 22.

Shelly Anne Bacsu
Missing since May 3, 1983 from Hinton, Alberta, Canada.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: April 7, 1967
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0; 90 lbs
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    • Medical Conditions: Bacsu has rheumatoid arthritis and a hearing impairment.
    • Marks, Scars: Bacsu has freckles on her face and a small scar on her forehead.
    • Clothing: A gray & burgundy jacket, a purple sweater, a red/burgundy velour sweater, blue jeans and
      blue & gray Cougar running shoes. She was carrying a blue binder.
    • Jewelry: She had a ring with a green stone, opal stone earrings and a necklace with two red hearts.
    • AKA: Shelly Anne Urban
    • Dentals: Her teeth were in perfect condition at the time of her disappearance

Circumstances of Disappearance
Bacsu was last seen at approximately 8:30 PM on May 3, 1983 as she walked down Highway 16 towards her home near Highway 40 in Hinton, Alberta.

Following her disappearance, articles of her clothing were found near the Athabasca River, but she has never been recovered.
At first, authorities suspected that she had run away, but after the articles of her clothing were found, they believe foul play may be involved.

Investigators
If you have any information on Bacsu's whereabouts, please contact:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
K Division, Hinton Detachment

Email

You may submit tips on an anonymous basis.

NCMEC #: RCMP8913038

NCIC Number: M257336453
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Edmonton Journal
MCSC

According to Canadas Missing
At about 8:15 pm on May 3, 1983, 16 year old Shelley-Anne Bacsu left a friend’s house in the Sunset Trailer Park to walk the 7 km to her home. Her route took her west on Highway 16 through Hinton, then north on Highway 40. Witnesses saw Shelley-Anne walking westbound along the shoulder of Highway 16 carrying her school books; she was not hitch-hiking. Shelley-Anne was last seen in the area of what was then the western edge of town. A dark colored van was seen in the area around the time Shelley-Anne was walking home, some reports were that it was stopped at the side of the road near where she was last seen. An extensive search for the van and/or its occupants was not successful. Several days after Shelley-Anne was last seen, some of her belongings were found near the Athabasca River not far from the outskirts of Hinton.

Is there any trace of blood or body fluids on her clothes? Were they ripped? Or does it seem that she took off them and throw them?

Hi I'm new here but this case has always held a spot in my thoughts I remember living in Hinton at the time of this disappearance my family was a big Catholic family in Hinton and the turn off to HWY 40 was close (ish) to my grandparents on hwy 16. When my dad and his siblings were young they walked home from Hinton to Folding Mountain approx 10mins by car but much longer walking in the night in the dark. I've always wondered what happened to this girl - her picture looked like everyone at the age in that era. I was approx 6 or 7 when she went missing. Shelley-Anne and her mom and sister (I believe) rented a place from my grandparents on their resort...all those years ago, I was too young to remember them but I remember when she went missing...I'm watching this post now. Every year Hinton posts a Memorial Day in the town to bring awareness - someone must know.

Hi I'm new here but this case has always held a spot in my thoughts I remember living in Hinton at the time of this disappearance my family was a big Catholic family in Hinton and the turn off to HWY 40 was close (ish) to my grandparents on hwy 16. When my dad and his siblings were young they walked home from Hinton to Folding Mountain approx 10mins by car but much longer walking in the night in the dark. I've always wondered what happened to this girl - her picture looked like everyone at the age in that era. I was approx 6 or 7 when she went missing. Shelley-Anne and her mom and sister (I believe) rented a place from my grandparents on their resort...all those years ago, I was too young to remember them but I remember when she went missing...I'm watching this post now. Every year Hinton posts a Memorial Day in the town to bring awareness - someone must know.
Welcome to Ws VJMoss, thanks for the local insight!

An envelope with her name in it was found along Highway 40 according to this article. Highway 40 extends for over 3000 km part of which is in California.... RCMP Historical Homicide Unit races against time to solve Alberta cold cases
That is incorrect. I live in Alberta, and Highway 40 breaks off into sections, and most of the road goes from Grande Prairie, and ends 100 km south of Hinton. There are other small sections in the southern end of Alberta, but the highway does not cross the US border.

She was a teenager and lots of teens her age walked that route. She was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. JMO
That's precisely the problem. Dozens of women have vanished on the section of the Yellowhead Highway from the mountains to the BC coast. It's downright foolish to be walking alone as a woman on that highway.

That's precisely the problem. Dozens of women have vanished on the section of the Yellowhead Highway from the mountains to the BC coast. It's downright foolish to be walking alone as a woman on that highway.
I still think she knew her attacker. Her bf possibly... JMO

Being a local teen perhaps she had walked it before without incident and felt comfortable doing that. Unfortunately it just takes a stalker on that stretch of road being isolated to change the circumstances with not many taking notice.
Is there input from the family on their perspective and possible theory about this pretty young ladies fate ?
Statements from boyfriend's family whose home she left alone on foot ? Any help appreciated. So hope answers can still be found after so much time has passed. Very sad that there is do little to find be available to us. She didn't just vanish .. MOO TIA

Being a local teen perhaps she had walked it before without incident and felt comfortable doing that. Unfortunately it just takes a stalker on that stretch of road being isolated to change the circumstances with not many taking notice.
Is there input from the family on their perspective and possible theory about this pretty young ladies fate ?
Statements from boyfriend's family whose home she left alone on foot ? Any help appreciated. So hope answers can still be found after so much time has passed. Very sad that there is do little to find be available to us. She didn't just vanish .. MOO TIA
I treeplanted with a girl near Quesnel 20 years ago. She left, and hitchhiked to Smithers to see her boyfriend. Back then, people had no idea the highway was that dangerous. I only started to hear stories about it around 2005. The girl made it to her destination, but if I had known how many shady people took that route, I probably would have either offered her a ride, or lent her money for the bus.

Back on topic, didn't the RCMP find some of her clothing and books several kilometers West on Hwy 40? I though I had read that her clothes had traces of blood on them, but I could be mistaken.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back