Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #9

I remember reading CW’s interview when H4M first posted it. Yep actually there are still several posters here now from way back then.
Hope I must say you are awesome- I hope whomever you live with realize how fortunate they are. When you focus on something you are super laser focused and I for one enjoy reading everything you post on CMJA.

Carry on Hope, & thanks so much!
I too keep up on developments of this case. I feel that Travis should get justice, and the killer feels nothing for him nor his family, or anyone else but her own self.

Regarding Juan’s strategy in this case, in my opinion no other technique would have worked against the killer or her substandard, clueless defense “experts”. Was he snappy at times? Yes but his style managed to trip up a murderer who thinks she knows it all , as well as how he handled the testimony of LaViolette & Geffner whose testimony was absurd. Juan’s technique was appropriate with them as well.

There are many “barracuda” prosecutors out there. It’s not a new concept. I would want one if I had a murdered family member. Juan while not perfect (why he dropped the camera I don’t know, for instance). I feel certain there was not enough prosecutorial “misconduct” during that trial where it would be pervasive.

Nope the killer won’t walk or get a new trial. I’ll bet a Halloween candy bar.

Thanks again Hope. I’ll keep reading.

salberg7 said:
snipped by me...
I remember reading CW’s interview when H4M first posted it. Yep actually there are still several posters here now from way back then.
Hope I must say you are awesome- I hope whomever you live with realize how fortunate they are. When you focus on something you are super laser focused and I for one enjoy reading everything you post on CMJA.

I totally agree with you on Hope4More's posts! Love reading them here! :)

Regarding the sex, if I recall correctly, the killer would come to his house when he was asleep and get in his bed. So difficult to resist.

I also wonder if he knew she was coming. I know that there are good arguments on both sides. She called him from the road - maybe she said she was returning his journals? I don't remember all the pros and cons, but I this appeal may have me going back deep into the particulars of the trial.
Keep in mind as well that there was probably about one eighth the amount of sex that the murdering felon stated. I don’t believe their relationship was as sex-centric as she claimed. I think it was much much milder than what she swore to. IMO Travis would likely have been happy just to grind but she forced the issue. I’m not saying he was as chaste as an altar boy just that she was the aggressor most of the time. She’s a big fat liar!

I’ve been dissecting the legal arguments presented in opening briefs and the oral arguments. For the killer’s attorneys to prevail on cumulative prosecutorial misconduct, the COA must buy into the argument that JM engaged in egregious misconduct at every stage of the trial, and that the misconduct was so pervasive as to make it impossible for the jury to do other than find the killer guilt.

So….I picked up & ran with the theme of alleged misconduct the COA seemed most focused upon during oral arguments: JM’s cross examination of Dr. Samuels.

--===-----
Part 1: a “transcript” of the orals relating to Samuel’s cross, with a tadbit more for context.

Part 2. The jury questions for Samuels & LaVi that Appellant attorneys argue were the fruit of JM’s poisoned, improper cross of Samuels.

Part 3. Arguments related to Samuels’ cross from the Appellant & Appellee’s attorneys, and the Appellant’s Reply Brief. (in another post).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 1. THE ORAL ARGUMENTS

Cory Engle (CE): defendant’s appellate attorney (“Appellant”)

Terry Crist (TC): attorney for the State (“Appellee”)

COA JUDGES: CAMPBILL, JONES & BROWN

PM =prosecutorial misconduct

OB= opening brief

----------------------------------------------------------

CORY ENGLE’S TURN

(In response to request to provide her top 3 examples of PM, CE says pervasive PM with the theme that everyone but him is a liar, a theme exemplified in part by JM’s questioning of expert witnesses, including Dr. Samuels).

JONES: There were assertions that expert witnesses had emotional attachment. Give me your premise for JM’s assertions about that, the you have feelings for her.

CE: His basis? A misleading cross examination of an expert, a psychiatrist or psychologist who gives books to everyone he meets in jail, that that simple act was enough to assume an actual relationship, and feelings for, this particular defendant.

CAMPBELL: “Other than the giving of a book, was there anything else, evidentiary wise, to support that Samuels had developed feelings for the defendant? “

CE: “Other than his own assertions, no. He did attempt to get Samuels to define compassion, and whether he felt sorry for her, Samuels said no. Then later on, JM asked a misleading question-- didn’t you use the word “sorry’? And though he did use the word sorry, he used it to say that is NOT how I feel about defendant.

The way JM phrased the question made it a very misleading cross examination. It made it seem like the doctor was trying to hide something he had said earlier.

CE: (Second example of PM). Accusations that the experts were having relationships with the defendant, that they were hiding evidence, changed info on testing forms, “and the way he tied those things together across both experts, to the point the jury was actually asking questions if the second expert (referring to LaVi) had feelings for defendant, if (the DT) had been hiding evidence in order to get a different opinion from her.”

“So you can see how he built on his misconduct from one witness to the next, through his closing. They wove together to tell one story.”

(Third example of PM): Persistence in improper questioning by itself is enough to warrant reversal. The Pool Court found solely on improper questioning reversal was warranted. The amount and type of improper questioning here, and the persistence of it, was much greater than even what was found in Pool. (note-that’s a factually ridiculous assertion).

Brown: Let’s say we agree with you on all your points made so far. How, precisely, was defendant denied a fair trial?

CE: AZ sets forth a test for what a fair trial is when cumulative error renders a trial unfair and when prosecutorial misconduct mandates a reversal is when that conduct is so …pervasive that it permeates the trial.

=======================================================

TERRY CRIST’S TURN

CAMPBELL: do you stand by your statement in your OB that the prosecutor did not commit misconduct?

TC: Yes. As defined by the due process standard-that his conduct did not deprive defendant of her due process rights.

CAMPBELL: Using a more narrow definition of misconduct-- conduct that violates the rules of evidence and ethics, do you still maintain that JM didn’t engage in PM?

TC: We’d argue that the JM did occasionally do some things that violated the rules, and the judge sustained objections, when that was appropriate.

CAMPBELL: What if (JM) pursued a persistent course of shenanigens that goes flying in the face of ethics, and the rules of evidence? Would you agree with me that unless you have a strong base of evidence to support an inference that one of the expert witnesses is having an inappropriate relationship with the defendant, unless you have a basis in fact, that inference is inappropriate and a violation of the rules?

TC: If that’s what occurred, I would agree, but that’s not how I read the record.

CAMPBELL: Tell me how you read the record, then, because I’d like to understand.

TC: When he uses the word feelings he isn’t referring to some romantic attachment. He’s referring to Samuels’ discussion about compassion. And this comes from an earlier discussion that Samuels had done several things that later (DeMarte) was going to come up and state were inappropriate. That there is a line between therapeutic treatment and evaluation.

Jones. Show us that in the record. Where did your people come up and said that was good. That was perfect.

TC: What our expert did was to come up later and say an evaluator ought not to cross the line to become a therapist, and that several of the things that Dr. Samuels had done were on the wrong side of that line, such as the book, and having extended interview sessions, and also the scoring of the test.

TC: So when JM asked Samuels about it, Samuels said he thought defendant was suicidal, even though he never reported that to anyone and that he felt compassion for her (note: that’s inaccurate. According to Samuels, he reported it to her DT). And they may have quibbled over the semantics of sorry or compassion, but ultimately at some point Samuels professed to a feeling that made him do it, and JM thought that feeling could compromise his objectivity and conclusions.

CAMPBELL: He also said it was common practice to hand out self-help books, but JM continued to categorize it as a gift to defendant, though a self-help book when you are a psychiatrist (note: he’s a psychologist, actually) is not the same thing we would traditionally call a gift. Would you at least agree with that?

TC: Not entirely. The question isn’t-- just was he being proper as a psychologist? but did he cross the line from being an evaluator into therapist, which is what DeMarte talks about.

CAMPBELL: JM insinuated it was some kind of inappropriate relationship outside the context of I feel sorry for you, and that’s how I read the record, the cold record, and I can’t imagine what it was like in the courtroom, so tell me, was that inappropriate if in fact that’s how I’m reading it.

TC: No, in light of (a USSC case Donnelly). That we ought not to assume (JM’s) comments have the most objectional meaning if there are multiple ways to read it.

BROWN: So, you can just get close to the line and not say the words you are having a sexual relationship, or you want to have a sexual relationship, you can just say relationship, though a juror asked a specific question……

BROWN: I think our reading of the record is much different than yours. So, let’s just say it was inappropriate. That doesn’t change your mind at all about whether it could qualify as PM?

TC: Ultimately I think we are looking at whether or not the jury was prejudiced. Assuming for the minute you are accurate, and I’m not conceding that because that is not my reading of the record, it would be improper without an evidentiary basis, however, all the reasons why there isn’t prejudice in this case would apply.

The trial judge made multiple findings during the case, and then at the end of the case, made a ruling that nothing the prosecutor did would merit a mistrial.

Last edited:
PART 2.

RELEVANT JURY QUESTIONS FOR DR. SAMUELS (asked a total of 101 questions. I’ve included a few handfuls of other questions for context, as they indicate IMO it was the defendant’s lack of credibility that made them most doubt Samuels’ testimony, not JM’s “allegations” of feelings for, etc.

5. How can we be certain that your assessment of Miss Arias is not based on the lies that she has admittedly made over the years?

10. Are there other psychologists or doctors in your field who have differing opinions on the items you testified about or is there 100 percent consensus in your field?

12. On what dates Miss Arias did take the test?

19. To your knowledge was Jodi tested more than once on any given test?

22. How do you ask you questions when interviewing an individual? Do you ask leading questions, such as do you experience memory loss or do you have nightmares?

27. Is Miss Arias taking medication to treat this terrible PTSD disorder?

29. Did you diagnose any conditions that were not covered in your testimony? If so, what are they?

31. Are your opinions based on what a patient tells you about what happened to them?

35. You have compared Jodi's PTSD multiple times to that of police officers and soldiers. Do you think that is a fair comparison since police officers and soldiers kill as part of their job and duty?

37. Would you continue to evaluate a person who was not being honest with you?

38. Why didn't you re-administer the test once Jodi admitted to killing Travis?

41. Referring to Jodi's diagnosis for PTSD, when did you catch the errors on your report?

42. Do you feel those were big errors?

45. Do you often make mistakes in your reports when you do evaluations?

47. You seem to have several issues with omitting or forgetting to include information. Do you think that it is important to have an accurate and complete report for a trial like this?

48. Why didn't you complete a new PDS after Jodi changed her killing story? If her answers were based on an intruder story, how can you say with certainty that she has PTSD if her answers are fictious?

49. Do you consider yourself an impartial third party in this case?

50. Do you always develop such a fond relationship with the individuals you evaluate?

51. Do you still think that it was appropriate to purchase a gift for Jodi while evaluating her or do you feel you stepped over an ethical boundary?

57. Under cross examination you admitted that Jodi having anal sex was relevant to your diagnosis and then under redirect you stated it was not relevant. How do you account for this inconsistency in your testimony?

59. Sending a self-help book does not seem that it would ensure the success of an evaluation but would help to ensure the success of therapy. Would you concur?

64. Does your code of ethics or any other guideline explain what you are to do if you believe someone to be suicidal or a potential harm to themselves? If so, what are those guidelines?

68. How do Jodi's test results go toward her diagnosis of PTSD if she was still telling the intruder story at the time of the test?

71. Isn't it possible that a hypothesis formulated early on could skew results when tests are evaluated by the same individual that formed that hypothesis?

72. Could that hypothesis effect or color how the evaluator reads or interprets tests, answers in interviews, interprets crime scenes etc.?

75. Is it your normal practice to fill out the answers on the questionnaire for those you are evaluating?

76. Do you have any concerns with errors or incorrect responses?

77. If a patient you saw consistently lied and kept to that story then answered a test or series of questions based off of the story the client believed how could that test reveal that they are lying especially if that person remained consistent within the series of lies?

78. You stated that Jodi answered #13 on the PDS test the way that she did because of repeated physical and emotional abuse from Travis and she explained this to you in your session after she took the test. When she took the PDS test wasn't she still telling the intruder story and had not told her story about Travis' abuses yet?

82. Do you feel comfortable with diagnosing a person with a condition if they continually lie to you, hypothetically speaking?

95. In earlier testimony you stated that once you found out the true story you should have retested for PTSD but didn't because it was an oversight. Just now you said you didn't retest because you believed her score would remain the same. Which is correct?

96. Was there anything in the book you gave Jodi that would alter her responses to test questions or your questions?

101. In your office do you have books that you would willingly offer to patients free of charge?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELEVANT JURY QUESTIONS FOR LAVIOLETTE (from a total of 161 questions)

72. Did you read all of Jodi's and Travis' journals during the time they were in their relationship or just the portions that were provided to you?

80. Is there any reason we should believe that Jodi has not manipulated you as she as others?

81. (Follow-up, same juror). Why have you looked at Ms. Arias multiple times during the cross examination with the prosecutor when there were breaks in sidebars to meet eyes with Jodi and give her a small, warm smile?

82. Do you have personal feelings for Jodi or feel sorry for her?

83. On April 9th at approximately 11:33am when discussing Jodi being manipulative at the Purple Plum and what the waitress said about Jodi when the prosecutor was marking the exhibit you looked at Jodi, gave a half-smile and shrugged your shoulders. Why do you keep doing this?

98. You bought Ms. Arias books, apologized upon meeting her and ordered her a magazine subscription. Did you do anything else to establish a relationship with Jodi?

99. Have you given her anything else?

100. Have you ever had any physical contact with her? Hugs, friendly touching, etc.

----------------------------

The full lists of questions for Samuels, LaVi, and DeMarte can be found here:
Jodi Arias Trial: Jury Questions for Dr. Richard Samuels

Hope4More, with all the research & writing you've done on this case- have you ever considered gathering your posts and turning them into an ebook? I know i'd buy a copy!

Thanks...and yes, I've considered it but no, am never going to do it. In all seriousness, if anyone wants to gather any & all of what I've posted (can only speak for myself) and use it to write an ebook or whatever else, feel free, you'd have my permission, and no need to credit any of the writing/research to me.

To be honest, I lost interest in the killer herself a long time ago. I'm following every twist & turn of her appeals not out of interest in her, but to educate myself about the appellate process. And for that, it helps a great deal to be very familiar with the original case & trial. :)

i thought i'd lost interest, and i can certainly understand why Hope4More isn't going to gather her material in a book form. Then i saw something about Arias in passing media, and i got curious all over again. i never cease to be astounded how the woman actually made a living as a parasite who moved from host to host.
I also am interested in multi-level marketing and how it affects its practitioners. Prepaid Legal, of course, is a major part of the whole Travis story, and good on him for making it work. Then i saw how another MLM played prominently in the Watts family annihilation in Colorado last year, so of course i had to read everything about that... Somebody stop me!

Lol. I get that. I imagine a lot of drooping & falling, and perhaps the deflation of implants? If deflation is how implanted *advertiser censored* expire? ;)

And if she's looking more and more like a praying mantis. I wonder if she's still throwing fits hitting and kicking the wall of her cell.

COMPARISON OF PORTIONS OF CLOSING ARGUMENTS, (MOSTLY RELATED TO EXPERT WITNESSES ) BY JM AND THAT OF PROSECUTOR ZAWANDA, IN THE HUGHES CASE JA’S ATTORNEYS HOPE THE COA WILL USE AS THE BASIS TO OVERTURN HER CONVICTION.

In Hughes, the defendant was definitely guilty; his was an insanity defense. That Hughes was actually insane at the time he shot and killed his sister’s boyfriend is suggested by a factual record of severe mental illness, and by having to be “restored to competency” for trial not once, but twice.

At trial, the judge allowed Hughes’ defense only one expert psych witness. The State refused to put on any psych witnesses at all. (Zawanda: State prosecutor. Cornell for the defense).

In comparison, JA definitely killed TA; hers was an affirmative defense, meaning her credibility was key, as was the credibility of her psych witnesses (LaVi-domestic violence, and Samuels-the PTSD which was to explain her alleged “amnesia” on the day she killed TA.

The quotes of Zawada’s closing are from the AZ Supreme Court’s Hughes decision.

THE HUGHES CASE, ZAWANDA's REBUTTAL OF THE DT’S CLOSING ARGUMENT

“Mr. Zawada then delivered a rebuttal argument that covers about forty pages of transcript and is a masterpiece of misconduct.   It contained proper argument, too.  

Early on, Mr. Zawada argued that the jury should look at Defendant's actions “shortly before, during, and shortly after the commission of the offense” because,

“if you go like three days later, four days later, a month later, they have had the opportunity to digest the criminal statutes, the case law, ․ they've had the opportunity to sit around with the other inmates in the county jail, ․ they have had the opportunity to think and reflect upon what they've done, ․ they've had the opportunity to discuss matters with their sister or mother and everybody else involved in the case, and then they've decided to try to put a story together, if you don't look at people's actions at the relevant times, nobody would ever be convicted of anything.”

The record contained facts from which the State could fairly make a “fabrication” argument about Defendant and his family.   For example, his sister did change her testimony, the change did favor Defendant, and Defendant did seem to know about this change before anyone else did.

Then the prosecutor went out of bounds, and outside the record, to argue that psychiatrists create excuses for criminals:

“How about the Judge back there in New York, was it, that was infatuated with the secretary or somebody else and he followed her around and sent her notes and sent her letters and all kinds of things and wouldn't leave her alone.   I don't know if he stalked her or not, and ultimately they looked into the case a little bit.   You know what they did, they created a syndrome for him to try to justify his action.”

Then the prosecutor, with no evidentiary support, argued that defense counsel paid Dr. Belan to fabricate a diagnosis:

“ [Dr. Belan] knows the result he's looking for, and that's it.   He knows the result he is looking for. Subject comes in with schizophrenic-potential schizophrenic diagnosis.   He knows right there what he is looking for, and $950 later, yes, that's what he's got․ He knows the result for he knows the result he wants.

I mean he didn't see him, ladies and gentlemen, this defendant didn't walk off the street and say I am not feeling well, I have had this headache, I have got something wrong.   I mean he comes to him in the most suspicious circumstances that you can ever have.   He gets referred by his attorney.   Just like he was in December of '91 for a psychiatric evaluation.   Reportedly suffering from schizophrenia, and lo and behold, confirmed.   Perfect.”

After proper argument on self-defense and other issues, the prosecutor returned to his improper “fabrication” argument:

“This is December of '91.   He was referred by his attorney for psychological evaluation.   When he was asked if he was depressed or nervous, he thought for a while and he says he feels naturally depressed for being in jail.   This is '91.   See it kind of develops, ladies and gentlemen, as it gets along.”

A few moments later, the prosecutor argued that the mental health experts were “mouthpieces” for Defendant.  “And what do you hear-what are you hearing from these doctors?   You are hearing the defendant.   They are only telling you what the defendant told them.”  

A few moments later, the prosecutor returned to the “fabrication” argument again, stating, “So February '92, ladies and gentlemen, we get a request for Rule 11 proceeding, court proceedings, in this matter.   Not August, September, October, November, December [of '91].”  

The objection was sustained.

The prosecutor soon merged his “mouthpiece” argument into an improper comment on Defendant's failure to testify, after first suggesting that psychiatry was an impediment to truth and justice:

“[Defense counsel] wants you to make your decision based on what Dr. Potts has to say and ignore the evidence in this case.   He wants you to forego and to give up and to relinquish ․ [your right] to pass judgment, for you to act as a member of this community and to decide, ladies and gentlemen.

Not Dr. Potts, not some $4,000 or $6,000 hired doctor who wants to come in here․  I mean you stand, ladies and gentlemen, between this great power of psychiatry and truth and justice here.   I mean, ladies and gentlemen, Dr. Potts, Dr. Belan, they could no more tell you what was going on inside of that man's mind than they can tell you whether or not he was abducted by a UFO․

The only way you know what is inside of a person's mind is to look at their words and actions at the relative times, shortly before, during, and shortly after the commission of the offense.   And you do that job.   I mean, after all, this is a jury trial, it is a search for the truth.  

You know, bring your witnesses in here, prove your case.   You know, have them testify.   Cross-examine them.   Evaluate their demeanor when they are testifying, their manner while testifying.   Any bias or prejudice they might have.   And Mr. Cornell wants you to find this defendant not guilty by reason of insanity based on what the defendant himself is saying.   I mean that's it, that's it, that's what the defendant himself is saying because there is no other evidence here to justify a not guilty by reason of insanity verdict, other than what the defendant is saying and what he's told everybody else in this case.   All these other psychiatrists or psychologists, or whoever they may have been.

And you know he lies.  You know he's got a motive for lying.   That's what you have seen here ladies and gentlemen.  

You've seen the defendant testifying, except it was in the form of a doctor, all suited up nice and neat, a tie, shirt, suit, nice and presentable, good credentials and everything else.   But what was it that was being said?   Who was speaking?   He was a mouthpiece for the defendant.  

That's all you've seen here.   This is not a science, it's an art.   It's an art.   It's guesswork.

He's related-Dr. Potts has related to you only what the defendant told him, only the words the defendant uttered, and from that conclusion, he's decided he was insane.   That he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.”

A few moments later, the prosecutor rhetorically asked if the basis of the doctors' opinions was “what the defendant's been telling you all along?”   He then answered the question by stating, “It's the defendant who's testified.”Defendant had not testified.

The prosecutor then got the jurors thinking about how guilty they would feel if they found Defendant not guilty by reason of insanity and heard about a murder in the future:

“[Y]ou know, the next time you are out on a nice, pretty, sunny afternoon, perhaps with your family, and you are driving along the roads or maybe you are at a picnic, your radio is on and you hear about a murder or something like that, or an aggravated assault, you think back to this case.  

You are going to have to be able to say right then and there that you were convinced ․ that the evidence was clear and convincing that this man was insane.   Not just paranoid schizophrenic, not mentally ill, not possibly mentally ill, but insane.  

Because you know, you go back there in your deliberation now and you are sitting there and you can't imagine that day, ladies and gentlemen, when you hear this on the report and you can't say, yes, I was clearly convinced, you know, that the defendant carried his burden.”

The objection was overruled.

------------------

(Next: from JM’s closing)

Last edited:
FROM JM’s CLOSING ARGUMENT, ON THE DT’S EXPERTS. (his total closing ran 46 pages, typed)

(Out of order, from later in closing) There were...everything that was presented to you is nothing more than argument with nothing to back it up. Nothing, that is, unless you believe what the defendant is telling you. If you believe what the defendant is telling you, then all of these arguments, then, do begin to make sense, but where do you draw the line? Where do you draw the line and believe this defendant when she's lied to everybody that she's come in contact with? And she's lied in other circumstances, too, that maybe didn't involve her being under oath.

(Out of order, close to the end of closing).It is true that the state has the burden of proving this beyond a reasonable doubt. You have to be firmly convinced, and it does tell you what happens if the state fails to carry this burden.

The only evidence that you have in this particular case about whether or not the use of force is...here was justified, keep going back to it, it's like a parrot on a....I know I sound like a parrot on a stick, keep going back to the same thing, that would mean that you would have to believe the defendant.

And the defendant is somebody who has demonstrated to you throughout these proceedings, whether they be outside of the courtroom, in person to the detective, on a telephone call to the detective, speaking with her friends, speaking to the psychologist, or coming in here and speaking here to you throughout this whole thing, she has lied.

It requires you to put all of that aside and say, "Something magical happened, and because something magical happened, I'm going to believe her as to this very limited thing even though she's lied to us and she's lied to everybody else."

=======================

THE EXPERTS: (the entire sequence of JM's discrediting of expert psych testimony).

The other thing that she talked...talked to you about was this, uhhhh, this injury to her finger. She said that...she showed you the finger, and she demonstrated it to you, and she that Mr. Alexander had been the person that actually had done that to her.

Well, if you remember during cross examination when she was being asked about what happened in the, uhhh...in her killing of Mr. Alexander, the question was, "Well, you really didn't get any injuries. I mean, aside from the injury to the head. Do you remember? That's all that you got then, right?" And then she said, "Oh no, uh uh. I also got the injury to my finger."

Do you remember her saying that in a moment of candor, in a moment when she wasn't quite expecting it? She said, "Yes, that's what had happened." Yet then she turns around and says later, "No, no, no, no, that's not how I got it. I got it working for Casa Ramos, Margaritaville. I got it at his house." Who knows?

But she looked at you straight in the face about it, an event that occurred at the time of the killing, and she looked at you in the face, every single one of you, after taking the oath, and lied to you. Maybe...maybe this Law of Attraction, maybe something else, maybe that would explain it.

Or maybe her experts will explain these three areas that you know were f....were made up; she just made them up to you. And why did she make them up? Because although she says no jury will convict her, it's because she's attempting to get you...or manipulating you to get to that particular point.

One of the other things that, perhaps, we need to look at or to talk about is their experts. And with regard to their experts, with regard to the defense that's presented, one of the things that, perhaps, you can sort of allude to and maybe make reference to when you're looking at this particular defense is by reference to Elizabeth Barrett Browning in a sonnet where she indicated that, and again, it's just a reference to it, "How do I love thee, let me count the lies."

It's a little bit of a reference to it, but that's not exactly what she said but really, then how do I love thee, let me count the lies. Well, we've counted three so far that in this court. looking at each of you, she said them.

What else can we look at? Well, perhaps we can look at the motivation, or perhaps we can look at people that have testified on her behalf and then we can understand what's going on. We can talk, for example, about Alyce LaViolette; she's the person who has a master's who came in and has been doing this for a long time.

And one of the things that Alyce LaViolette has, and she has an extensive CD or resume, is, one of the things she hasn't included in those is that she is also a liar; that is just the bottom line. She came into here, and she told you, in response to one of your questions about whether or not she had ever testified on behalf of a male in court, and she said, "One or two times." Remember that?

And when she was pressed by the prosecutor during cross examination, "Well, who are they?" Uhhhh; couldn't give you the name. Give me a name; go ahead, give me a name. Uhhhh. Pressed even further, she said, "Well, I didn't testify. I actually wrote a report." She wanted to make herself more than she really was.

She also talked about being a keynote speaker at one of the conferences where was Snow White a battered woman. She indicated that she was one of the keynote speakers there at one of those conferences, and she wasn't.

Her CV indicated that she was on the plenary panel, which is just part of people that go there, and she made a presentation to a smaller group. And just as importantly with regard to lying and Alyce LaViolette, she indicated and tried to justify the defendant's lies for you so that you wouldn't think that they were so bad.

She kept saying, "Well, she lied before but not afterwards." And we got into this conversation about lying and Alyce LaViolette said, "Well, you know, there's such things as white lies; those are okay." See, you don't understand, for her, and for the defendant, white lies. White lies; they're okay. And if it's to her benefit to say that something is a white lie, she will say that it is a white lie.

And in this case, everything that's negative towards the defendant, and it is untruthful, well, that's just a white lie according to Alyce LaViolette, and to her, that's okay.

Probably it's okay to Alyce LaViolette because she wanted herself wasn't truthful to you. It's one thing to be mistaken in a report. It's another thing to look at you as an expert, because they're trying to provide guidance, and say, "Hmmm, yes, I have testified on behalf of men before," and then going back and saying, "No, that's not true." Imagine it? Well, maybe.

That's a guide to the defendant. Maybe that's something that she, of course, believes. Maybe that's something that buttresses the defendant's case, and Alyce LaViolte believes that that's something that she should do. But what that indicates is that she's nothing more than an advocate.

When you begin lying on the behalf of the person that you evaluated, when you begin to, umm, visit them, when you begin to, uhh, have....give them books, when you're with them for 44 hours, that line was crossed.

Anything Alyce LaViolette said is contaminated. It is foul. It is not something you should consider because how much credibility can you give her if she came up here and, in advocating that position, she lied to you? Absolutely no worth at all.

And then you have Dr. Richard Samuels. And one of the things about mis...Dr. Samuels was that, and the issue involving lying, is one of the things that he did is that he had trouble with regard to this scoring and rescoring. And there was some issues as to really what the motivation was for the rescoring.

Janeen DeMarte, Dr. Janeen DeMarte, that, "Well, there's no reason to be rescoring three times unless you, perhaps, want to change the scores." Or with regard to the MCMI, there's to submit it twice unless, perhaps, you might want to change the scores.

But one of the things that we do know about Dr. Samuels is that he gave the PDS test, and there is no doubt as to that test that the defendant lied; the defendant made it up. There is no truth to the fact that on question 14, number 4, that whatever seminal event that they're talking about, there was never indicat...any indication whatsoever that there was a guy and a girl that came in and killed Mr. Alexander, but he based his test on that.

And the defense, and the questions may be asked about whether or not it involved attack of a tiger, or if it involved the attack of a bear, or if it involved a gopher, or...it doesn't matter, the bottom is that it's a lie.

Let's say that somebody goes to the doctor, and they go to the doctor and they're talking about some sort of pain that they have. And if they start lying about the pain, isn't the treatment going to be affected by it? How good is the workup going to be if the seminal event that you're there for is a lie?

Oh, yeah, you can say she suffered trauma. Okay, let's assume that you can go that far and say the PDS test showed that she suffered trauma.

Well, which trauma are we talking about? Is it the bear? Is it the tiger? Is it the gopher? Or, in our case, is it the trauma of lying about killing Mr. Alexander? Is that what we're talking about? Or is it the killing of Mr. Alexander that we're talking about? Or, as the other expert Sheryl Carp found, was it the trauma of this nonexistent domestic violence?

The problem is that when you start lying and the experts get involved, and they start basing their tests on a lie, how valid do...can the results be?

For example, Sheryl Carp found that yes, she believed it was post traumatic stress disorder based on many, many events of domestic violence, yet there were only 4 that were presented to you and never linked to post traumatic stress disorder.

Then there's this test of PDS that was...that was taken, and according to Dr. Samuels, he said, "You know what? I probably should have readministered it." In a moment of candor, he said that.....

So you have that issue that is sort of floating out there with the experts.”

Link to entire closing: https://juror13lw.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/jodi-arias-prosecution-closing-arguments-full.pdf

THE AZ SUPREME COURT’S LEGAL REASONING ON WHAT WAS IMPROPER ABOUT ZAWANDA’S CLOSING (AND MORE GENERALLY TOO) IN THE HUGHES’ CASE

(Note: whatever superficial similarities between the alleged misconduct in JM's and Zawanda's closings (and in every other aspect/part of trial), IMO the difference in kind and severity of the alleged misconduct are far more meaningful, both factually and legally).

QUOTES FROM THE HUGHES' RULING

Misconduct in the “Fabrication” Argument

Defendant cites many incidents of prosecutorial misconduct on the “fabrication” issue.

Counsel can argue all reasonable inferences from the evidence.   Counsel's questioning and argument, however, cannot make insinuations that are not supported by the evidence.   It is improper for counsel to imply unethical conduct on the part of an expert witness without having evidence to support the accusation.

This record reveals a prosecutor with an overpowering prejudice against psychiatrists and psychologists, among others.   He told the court, “psychiatrists should be precluded entirely from testifying in criminal matters,” and he repeatedly refused to retain a mental health expert for the State.  

The State has no obligation to retain a mental health expert in a case such as this, but the State has an obligation to be honest with the facts.  

The prosecutor's reason for not retaining a mental health expert in this case was obvious;  doing so would impair his trial strategy of ignoring the facts he did not like, relying on prejudice, and arguing that all mental health experts are fools or frauds who say whatever they are paid to say.  

That is a dishonest way to represent the State in any case, and it was especially dishonest in this case, where the evidence of mental illness was overwhelming, where the evidence of insanity was substantial, and where the State had no evidence that defense counsel or expert witnesses had fabricated an insanity defense.

Misconduct in the “He Lies” Argument

Defendant argues that the “You know he lies” argument, was improper comment on the exercise of his Fifth Amendment right not to testify.   Defendant did not object to this argument at trial, meaning that the claim is waived absent fundamental error.  

Fundamental error is that which is “clear, egregious, and curable only via a new trial.”  

Fundamental error is “ ‘error going to the foundation of the case, error that takes from defendant a right essential to his defense, and error of such magnitude that defendant could not possibly have received a fair trial.’ ”

In determining whether error is fundamental, we look to the entire record and to the totality of the circumstances. Considering those matters, which is to say, considering the cumulative effect of the prosecutorial misconduct that permeated this trial, we conclude that the improper comment on Defendant's failure to testify was fundamental error.

The prosecutor who comments on defendant's failure to testify violates both constitutional and statutory law. Although an improper comment on defendant's failure to testify can be harmless error in some cases, in other cases it can be fundamental error.

See State v. Smith for the proposition that fundamental error will be found if “the general conduct of the prosecuting counsel was such that it must be presumed to have resulted in a miscarriage of justice”.   The error can be fundamental whether the comment is direct or indirect.  

The State argues that the “he lies” argument, when read in context, is proper comment on “the basis for the expert's opinion regarding [Defendant's] mental illness” and is not improper comment on Defendant's failure to testify.   We doubt it.   Just before the “he lies” argument, the prosecutor argued that you prove your case with witnesses who can be cross-examined, but all the jury had heard from Defendant was “what he's told everybody else”:

The prosecutor's argument that Dr. Potts was Defendant's mouthpiece is similar to the improper argument in State v. Trostle.  There, the prosecutor told the jury that only two people knew details about the crime:  “ ‘One is Jack Jewitt and the other one is sitting right here at the table asking you not to hold him accountable through his lawyer.’ ” We held that the statement was an impermissible comment on defendant's failure to testify, but the error was harmless in light of the overwhelming evidence of guilt.

In the present case, the evidence of Defendant's guilt was overwhelming, but the evidence of his sanity was not.  

Here, the evidence of Defendant's mental illness was overwhelming, the evidence of his insanity was substantial, and the State called no experts.  

The State did overwhelm the insanity defense in this case, true, but it did not do so with evidence;  it did so with prosecutorial misconduct.

OPENING BRIEF ARGUMENTS RELATED TO CLOSING ARGUMENTS, ON EXPERT WITNESS TESTIMONY (AND THE KILLER’S) AND THE “LIAR! LIAR! THEME HER ATTORNEYS ARGUE AMOUNTED TO PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT SO EGREGIOUS AND PERSUASIVE THAT THE KILLER’S VERDICT SHOULD BE OVERTURNED, AND EVEN SET FREE ALTOGETHER.

FROM APPELLANT’S (DEFENDANT’S) OPENING BRIEF :

Martinez used his misconduct in the trial to weave his story in closing argument, which included an intense focus on the defendant as a bad person, categorically, rather than simply as a person who was guilty of murder. Martinez personalized Arias’s bad character for the jury, telling them that she lied to them, personally, and tried to manipulate them, specifically. Martinez also argued that T.A. did not abuse Arias. He argued LaViolette was also a liar, not to be believed. He argued the other experts were discredited and the defense relied on lies.

These themes were the overall picture Martinez wove with the individual threads of misconduct during the trial. Starting with the picture created by Martinez in his closing argument illustrates why his individual acts of misconduct through the trial matter; in other words, why the misconduct was not harmless.

THE PROSECUTOR'S CLOSING ARGUMENT WAS IMPROPER

The prosecutor used improper arguments many times during his closing argument. Although advocates are ordinarily given latitude in closing, their comments must still be based on facts the jury is entitled to find from the evidence and not on extraneous matters that were not or could not be received in evidence.

Counsel may draw reasonable inferences from the evidence, which may, in some circumstances, include characterizing the defendant as a “liar. There is a point where being descriptive crosses over into employing characterization like “liar” merely to incite prejudice.

The prosecutor improperly argued that Arias was a liar to incite the jury’s prejudice. He did not merely walk through the evidence to explain where Arias lacked credibility. He encouraged the jury to personalize the fact that Arias lied to them and to take action against it. He argued she manipulated the jury, personally. He hammered this theme that Arias was a manipulator, an ornate liar, and the epitome of a liar throughout his closing.

Martinez continued to denigrate the defense with his liar theme when discussing the defense experts and he impugned their integrity in other ways.

2. He repeatedly called LaViolette a liar;); “apologist” for Arias; and “nothing more than an advocate,” “lying on behalf of the person [she] evaluated.”

In so doing, Martinez improperly argued that the expert was nothing more than a mouthpiece.

(note: if that line sounds familiar, it's because Attorney Engle lifted it (and many other) straight from the Hughes decision).

He implied improper conduct by LaViolette that crossed a line. Martinez told the jury that LaViolette’s testimony was “foul” and “contaminated.” This insult is improper. (as it appeals to a jury’s passion or prejudice, and sp is misconduct).

3. (JM) then moved directly from impugning LaViolette to the next defense expert, connecting the foul-crossing-the-line argument about her to his accusations
against Samuels. He talked about lying and then rhetorically asked about Samuels’s possible motivations.

This tactic recalled the jury to his earlier accusations that the witness had inappropriate feelings for Arias, without having to actually repeat the objectionable. He asked the innuendo laden question and left the jury to supply the salacious answer he introduced earlier.

(Note: if you read JM's closing on Samuels (in above post) you can see for yourself JM did NO SUCH THING).

He argued that Arias staged her defense in court and sustained it with lies. Case law indicates that the state “must not make prejudicial insinuations without being prepared to prove them.” It is improper for counsel to insinuate or imply that defense counsel fabricated a defense or coached a defendant, without evidence to prove it.

Martinez argued that Arias and her experts staged lies in court, which impugned them all as fabricators. (Note: more Hughes language, but in fact, JM did NOT say "her experts "staged lies).

Similarly, he appealed to the jury’s prejudice, to persuade them to decide the case based on whether Arias was a sufficiently nice person rather than the evidence, when he pointed out Arias was cold and unfeeling.

(next...the State's opening brief response).

THE STATE’S RESPONSE, IN THEIR OPENING BRIEF (much longer, sorry. :))

The prosecutor’s closing argument was proper and/or did not cause fundamental, prejudicial error. During closing arguments, attorneys have “wide latitude to argue reasonable inferences from the evidence.” Lawyers cannot make insinuations that have no evidentiary support,. Nor may they “make arguments which appeal to the passions and fears of the jury.”

The analysis (of whether argument is an appeal to passions and fears of the jury) involves two factors: “(1) whether the prosecutor’s statements called to the jury’s attention matters it should not have considered in reaching its decision and (2) the probability that the jurors were in fact influenced by the remarks.”

Arias did not object to any of the prosecutor’s statements she now challenges on appeal, so this Court should review them only for fundamental error.

(Note: think about what it says about the strength of their appeal in general, and to their assertion of pervasive prosecutorial misconduct in particular, that Nurmi, who objected every other minute to lay a record for appeals did NOT make these objections).

1. The challenge to Arias’s credibility was supported by evidence.

Arias first takes issue with the prosecutor repeatedly calling her a “liar.” While the language is disfavored, Arizona courts have held calling witnesses liars is not “so offensive, inflammatory or prejudicial as to require reversal” when supported by the evidence. As other courts have concluded, a testifying defendant “puts his veracity at issue” and “[a]s long as such a characterization is reasonably seen as drawing conclusions from, and is actually supported by, the evidence … the prosecutor does not commit error by characterizing the defendant as a liar.”

“[T]he prosecution may refer to a defendant as a liar if it is commenting on the evidence and asking the jury to draw reasonable inferences.

If anything, Arias opened the door to the term herself. Defense counsel said in opening statements that Arias “did not always tell the truth about what happened that night.” Arias repeatedly admitted to having been untruthful. (Note: He cites many, many instances of her lying here).

Even the trial court observed “all of the experts have acknowledged that Ms. Arias has lied. [Defense counsel] even acknowledged it in [the] opening statement. She acknowledged it here in her testimony. So there is no issue here that the defendant has lied in the past.”

The prosecutor thoroughly discussed these and other incidents of Arias’s untruthfulness from the record. Therefore, his attacks on her credibility were permissible.

See Hulsey, (holding the prosecutor’s statement that the jury should not trust a defense witness did not cross the line because “the record did contain facts on which he could fairly base his argument”); Miniefield, (declining to reverse when the prosecutor called defense witnesses “liars”).

Arias’s claim is less about inaccuracy and more emphasis: she argues the prosecutor “personalize[d]” the fact that Arias lied to the jurors in an attempt to incite” them. But Arias’s untruthfulness merited emphasis. As the only witness to Alexander’s death, her credibility was critical to the case and essential to her self-defense theory.

Against the overwhelming evidence that she killed Alexander, Arias could only escape conviction if the jury believed her self-defense story. The fact that she told multiple inconsistent stories to a number of people was a strong reason for the jury to disbelieve her.

But Arias argued that while she had misled people in the past, her in-court testimony was true. The fact that her testimony was inconsistent with incontrovertible evidence—leading to the conclusion she was misleading the jury—was a yet stronger reason for the jurors to disbelieve her

The prosecutor thus had a legitimate reason to emphasize Arias had not just deceived others in the past; she was actively misrepresenting to the jurors now. Therefore, the prosecutor did not err, let alone commit fundamental error.

2. The challenge to LaViolette’s credibility was supported by evidence.

Arias similarly challenges the prosecutor’s statements that LaViolette was “a liar,” who had “problems with the truth.” But again, the prosecutor based his conclusion on evidence in the
record.

First, LaViolette’s curriculum vitae said she gave the keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, but a printed schedule for the event listed someone else as the keynote speaker.

LaViolette claimed she delivered a “keynote breakout,” but the schedule did not describe her breakout as a “keynote” address. Second, LaViolette said that she had testified on behalf of men “one or two times,” but on cross-examination, she could not provide any names and ultimately admitted she only wrote reports for those clients.

Though perhaps not egregious misstatements, these events reasonably supported the prosecutor’s conclusion that LaViolette had not told the truth. The prosecutor also called LaViolette an “advocate” who was “lying on behalf of the person that you evaluated” and whose testimony was therefore “contaminated” and “foul.”

It is indeed “improper for counsel to imply unethical conduct on the part of an expert witness without having evidence to support the accusation.” While the prosecutor’s language was strong,
there was evidentiary support for the argument that LaViolette was biased and incredible:

• LaViolette opened her interview with Arias by apologizing because she “felt badly” at having read through her journal• LaViolette bought books and magazine subscriptions for Arias while she was in jail. DeMarte opined such gifts were “inappropriate.” • LaViolette interviewed Arias for 44 hours, which DeMarte testified was “extreme.” • LaViolette was paid by the defense for her testimony. • LaViolette avoided asking Arias certain sexual questions because she was “old fashioned” and such questions did “not come easy to [her] to ask.”

• LaViolette said she had “feelings” about Arias and “liked” her “in terms of working with her.” DeMarte later explained it was important for evaluations to not feel compassion for the subject, lest they lose objectivity.

• A juror asked why LaViolette “looked at Ms. Arias multiple times during cross-examination with the prosecutors when there were breaks and sidebars to meet eyes with Jodi and give her a small, warm smile.” (LaViolette admitted to doing so “just to acknowledge her.” Another juror asked why, when the prosecutor marked an exhibit, LaViolette “looked at Jodi, gave a half-smile, and shrugged [her] shoulders.” LaViolette said she did not realize she had done it but did not deny it. The prosecutor could also point to examples of this bias at work.

Much of LaViolette’s testimony was based on her interpretation of written journals, text messages, and emails by Arias and Alexander. To reach her conclusion that Alexander abused Arias, LaViolette appeared to minimize, or arguably ignore, contrary written statements:

• LaViolette claims she saw no evidence of stalking behavior even though Alexander told a friend that Arias was stalking him, was probably monitoring their messages, and he was “extremely afraid” of her. • LaViolette interpreted Arias’s claim there was nothing noteworthy to report before January 24, 2008 as “part of the promise not to write negative things.” She agreed with the characterization that she was “taking these words and interpreting them to mean that something noteworthy did happen.” DeMarte opined an evaluator should not look behind a subject’s written words in this way.

• LaViolette said Alexander had a history of lying but Arias did not. In her opinion, Arias only began lying after killing Alexander. The prosecutor could thus reasonably argue that LaViolette uncritically believed Arias and disbelieved Alexander in what amounted to advocacy for her defense.

Arias claims the prosecutor’s closing statements violated the holding in Hughes, but there, “the evidence did not support” the prosecutor’s (insinuations/allegations/charges.

Arias further cites to Comer, where the Supreme Court found inappropriate, yet harmless, the prosecutor’s labeling of a defendant as “a monster,” “filth,” and “the reincarnation of the devil.” But while “contaminated” and “foul” doubtlessly have pejorative connotations, they also have the descriptive, benign meanings that LaViolette’s biases compromised the jury’s ability to rely on her conclusions. This Court should not assume the jury adopted the more incendiary interpretation.

The prosecutor’s comments, though strong, were far less prejudicial than the name-calling of which Comer disapproved.

3. The challenge to Dr. Samuels’s credibility was based in evidence.

Arias next argues the prosecutor improperly insinuated that Samuels had “inappropriate feelings” for Arias. The prosecutor said:

And one of the things about Mr. Samuels and the issue of all this lying is one of the things that he did is that he had trouble with regard to this scoring and rescoring. And there were some issues as to really what the motivation was for the rescoring. ...

Dr. Janeen DeMarte indicated, well, there’s no reason to be rescoring something three times unless you perhaps want to change the scores or with regard to the MCMI Arias claims the prosecutor was referring to Samuel’s cross-examination, where the prosecutor asked if he had chosen to dismiss evidence contradicting a diagnosis of PTSD (that Arias told the intruder story

on national television) because of his “feelings” for Arias. Although the trial court sustained an objection to that question, the prosecutor did elicit testimony from Samuels that supported his
closing remark questioning the doctor’s motivation. Samuels spent 25–35 hours interviewing Arias.

He also gave her a self-help book to “help” her with her supposed depression and because “she was suicidal.” Samuels agreed his code of ethics as a psychologist prohibit an evaluator from providing treatment and offering gifts to the patient. But he did “see” the book as a gift and was motivated to offer it because he was a “compassionate person.” He also did not report Arias’s threats of suicide to anyone who could provide treatment.

In addition, Dr. Samuels rescored one of Arias’s diagnostic tests: a computer had generated results shortly after she had completed the test, but Samuels later recalculated the score by hand, ostensibly due to an “arithmetic error.”

Again, DeMarte criticized the length of the interview and such gift as blurring the lines between an objective clinical evaluator and a treating therapist. She further explained one of the dangers of clinical interviewing is that an evaluator may allow their “compassion” for the subject to compromise their objectivity. Moreover, she opined there was no legitimate reason to re-score the test by hand; the only reasons to do so would be “if it wasn’t scored properly the first time or if they were trying to manipulate the data.”

Given this record, the prosecutor’s closing argument was a reasonable inference form Samuel’s admitted compassion and DeMarte’s opinion about how such compassion compromised objectivity.

Therefore, the prosecutor’s comment was permissible.

A not entirely short FWIW aside..;)

It's been so long since her appeal was first filed that I'd forgotten the insane motions her attorneys made to the COA shortly afterwards.

Remember? They demanded the ENTIRE COA recuse themselves from hearing her appeal, for bias. Because a single COA judge had mentioned her trial in an article he wrote about the expense of DP trials.

The COA speedily & decisively denied the motion, but her attorneys persisted. They filed a motion for reconsideration, in which they told the COA the decision to deny the motion was wrong, and to try again.

The COA denied this motion too, this time far more succinctly. IiRC - with one or two sentences, amounting to a simple we're done explaining ourselves NO.

What interests me now about those inept, brazen, bizarre motions is how different they are from the same team's opening briefs.

As I keep posting from the record to illustrate, I don't think their appeal has much merit, though their challenge to overturn this conviction was always steep. But....their theme has definitely changed, and while it's quite a reach, it's not unhinged.

From the get go, as in, during trial itself on through & afterwards, Nurmi strategized and laid the grounds for the appeal to be centered on pervasive publicity, NOT pervasive prosecutorial misconduct. He seems to have actually believed "he" would win on his circus trial argument.

What made the killer's team change their mainstay argument to JM's alleged misconduct?

Karen the Unethical Clark. It had to be, imo. She requested (and was given) access to the killer's entire trial record from the COA, including all sealed everything.

I remember speaking to a COA court clerk about what that meant, and why Clark's name now appeared on the killer's COA docket as an attorney on record.

Clark was obstensibly given access because of the work she was doing then preparing the killer's civil case against Nurmi. And I'm sure she used access for that purpose.

I'm also convinced she used her access to help the killer's otherwise mediocre at best attorneys prepare their opening brief, including retooling it to make it about JM, and to have it go straight for JM's jugular.

An attack on JM would buttress both the COA appeal and the bar cases against JM brought by Clark. Synergy.

Bar cases: see? JM has a history of misconduct, see appellate record, including in the pending JA appeal.

Pending COA appeal: see? JM had intent to engage in misconduct- look at not just his appellate record, but EVERYWHERE else for his misconduct. Wink wink.

(BTW. I assumed that it wouldn't be quite ethical if Clark had been involved in shaping/writing the killer's briefs. But asked DH (civil atty) and he said involving outside attorneys in writing motions, etc. was actually quite common. Who knew).

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back