Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
book is NOW INDEXED..

so the mother/son quote = page 233, location 2758.

"unhappy home" must have been toronto star article.... EDIT: ok, it's in the book (as i thought), but it's "not a happy home"... page 8, location 24.....

but as mentioned, neither theme is really expanded upon. the "not a happy home" is fairly generic statement and i think we all need to judge for ourselves. i certainly don't find their family dysfunctional, sad or pathetic. seems fairly normal to me.
Welcome to Ws Tobiano8th!
Re post of link, includes audio clip narrated by author.
The Billionaire Murders by Kevin Donovan | Penguin Random House Canada

something i do not understand.

the whole thing was thought to be staged to be M/S...... BUT,

there were so many signs that it wasn't (apparently)....... and BS was seemingly set up in a very dignified (right word?) seating position. surely, someone staging for M/S would think that BS would lose bodily control and probably end up in a very strange, stressed position.

was it never even a reasonable assumption to think it was staged to be M/S? ... staging M/S certainly made sense, but i question whether that even happened here.

cliff notes of my last comment...... i seriously question whether the perp intended to stage this as M/S.

this is highly presumptuous of me but i don't agree with donovan that this was a heated dispute that got out of hand. in fact, that probably conflicts with his "the perp knew the bodies probably wouldn't be discovered for 2 days"................. certainly could have been a dispute from a recent period (at the time) but not that day.

to me, it seems like someone paid alot of money (in the future?) and gave someone good access to make this happen. and to me that rules out the cousins. frankly, i think the most prominent cousin would simply admit to the act.

one piece of evidence that i think led to initial M/S thought was HS missing her charity meeting due to "dealing with some stuff". i got the quote from MacLeans. i had erroniously thought she mentioned "family issues" but it appears i wrongly assumed that. my bad.. ......... i would still say it is one of the 5 facts about this case that really jump out at you when you hear it...... i will find it and see if there's any more detail about it. i don't think there is but i'll see

Last edited:
I'm about a 1/4 way into the book and finding it good. Particularly understanding more about the pharmaceutical industry.
Am actually liking BS so far, he was obviously a genius, which set him apart from others anyway, but he came across as being quite amusing with his dry sense of humour.
The children, I just don't know, they don't seem to come across as well adjusted adults except, maybe, the eldest daughter.

I'm about a 1/4 way into the book and finding it good. Particularly understanding more about the pharmaceutical industry.
Am actually liking BS so far, he was obviously a genius, which set him apart from others anyway, but he came across as being quite amusing with his dry sense of humour.
The children, I just don't know, they don't seem to come across as well adjusted adults except, maybe, the eldest daughter.

I wound up finding BS quite lovable, in his own way, but likely not as a husband. The child who seemed most "normal" (and admirable) to me is the second-oldest daughter, who seems to now be the one most involved in continuing her parents' philanthropic work. (Admittedly, I was less interested in the business/ Apotex history and more in the dynamics of the family.)

I wound up finding BS quite lovable, in his own way, but likely not as a husband. The child who seemed most "normal" (and admirable) to me is the second-oldest daughter, who seems to now be the one most involved in continuing her parents' philanthropic work. (Admittedly, I was less interested in the business/ Apotex history and more in the dynamics of the family.)
Yes, agree, almost loveable! Let me carry on reading the book and hopefully there will be a lot more on the family dynamics.

one piece of evidence that i think led to initial M/S thought was HS missing her charity meeting due to "dealing with some stuff". i got the quote from MacLeans. i had erroniously thought she mentioned "family issues" but it appears i wrongly assumed that. my bad.. ......... i would still say it is one of the 5 facts about this case that really jump out at you when you hear it...... i will find it and see if there's any more detail about it. i don't think there is but i'll see
Are you feeling drama about H missing her charity meeting because of what is written in the book, or based on conspiracy theories/opinions on that raised from this thread over time? To me, it is not a big a-ha moment that someone could forget to RSVP regrets to a meeting, considering Hanukah, immediate plans being made to travel out of the country for an extended period, a new baby in the family, a wedding in the works, a home JUST put on the market (apparently maybe even two of them??), a new home being planned and designed, and not to mention whatever was going on in day-to-day life/family, including planning a day of making latkes with her daughter. I think the missed meeting, or rather, failed RSVP regrets, happened on the Tuesday, well before the last time the couple was seen by others, so I'm failing to see that as being any kind of a factor in this case. jmo.

cliff notes of my last comment...... i seriously question whether the perp intended to stage this as M/S.

this is highly presumptuous of me but i don't agree with donovan that this was a heated dispute that got out of hand. in fact, that probably conflicts with his "the perp knew the bodies probably wouldn't be discovered for 2 days"................. certainly could have been a dispute from a recent period (at the time) but not that day.

to me, it seems like someone paid alot of money (in the future?) and gave someone good access to make this happen. and to me that rules out the cousins. frankly, i think the most prominent cousin would simply admit to the act.
I have to agree with you. The couple was last seen by others on Wed evening. We now know that H had plans to spend the day on Friday making latkes with her daughter. That is only 1.5 days including two 'sleeps' when nobody would be calling on the couple for anything anyway. As well, I don't think they can have it both ways... ie if it was a 'heated dispute', then surely there would be more signs of violence, loss of control, mistakes, evidence of losing one's mind/composure, etc. But instead, we seem to see a picture of a staged event, with no sign apparently left over. To me, that speaks to 'planning', and not a sudden lashing out and losing it. jmo.

a bit odd that HS didn't access to significant $$$$$......... with them being married for so long, wouldn't everything have been community property as to death and wills?. of course to get money while alive, BS i'm thinking had segregated account, so she would have to ask/demand the money
RSBM
It was said that most of the wealth was tied up in the business, and I believe it was also said that H did not have much access to the company's affairs. (?)
I get the feeling that H, rightly or wrongly, wanted to enjoy their wealth through possessions, a lot more than B (obviously). ... as can be seen by H's plans for the new home, ie being so large and extravagant even in the couple's 'retirement age' years. Not to say that she *shouldn't* want all of that, since they surely had the money to do so... but I think it gives credence to whoever suggested that B perhaps wanted to keep a leash on her spending. jmo. Also, to even think that if/when H was 'awarded' hundreds of millions of dollars to use as she pleased, she would have wanted to give $300M of it to her sister, .. if true, it seems to make it understandable how B could be wanting to keep a lid on it. imo.

Did most here buy the ebook, or the print book? This is what it shows me for the print book:

Estimated delivery: Nov. 22 2019 - Dec 9 2019
41JS4p6ZfoL._SS100_.jpg

The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
by Kevin Donovan
CDN$ 19.80 FREE Shipping for Prime members
Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.
Quantity:
1 Change quantity of The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman from 1
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.

RSBM
It was said that most of the wealth was tied up in the business, and I believe it was also said that H did not have much access to the company's affairs. (?)
I get the feeling that H, rightly or wrongly, wanted to enjoy their wealth through possessions, a lot more than B (obviously). ... as can be seen by H's plans for the new home, ie being so large and extravagant even in the couple's 'retirement age' years. Not to say that she *shouldn't* want all of that, since they surely had the money to do so... but I think it gives credence to whoever suggested that B perhaps wanted to keep a leash on her spending. jmo. Also, to even think that if/when H was 'awarded' hundreds of millions of dollars to use as she pleased, she would have wanted to give $300M of it to her sister, .. if true, it seems to make it understandable how B could be wanting to keep a lid on it. imo.
rbbm.
Cannot help but think of "putting a leash on spending" and the concept of "tightening one's belt" in this case. imo.
tighten belt
"tighten (one's) belt

To reduce, restrict, or limit one's budget; to live more modestly or make financial sacrifices".

RSBM
I get the feeling that H, rightly or wrongly, wanted to enjoy their wealth through possessions, a lot more than B (obviously). . imo.

KD also suggests that HS may have been a hoarder, spending money on multiple designer jackets and handbags etc. she never wore or used while being quite frugal in her day-to-day life. Kind of understandable for someone who spent her early years in a displaced persons' camp and grew up in near-poverty.

Did most here buy the ebook, or the print book? This is what it shows me for the print book:

41JS4p6ZfoL._SS100_.jpg

by Kevin Donovan
Quantity:
1 Change quantity of The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman from 1

Hi deugirtni I bought the book at the bookstore in Toronto (indigo).

41JS4p6ZfoL._SS100_.jpg

by Kevin Donovan
Quantity:
Got my E-book on October 29th, 2019 - the first day, when on the market. Tried to buy via Amazon, but was directed to "Google" (I didn't know, one can buy there).

Has anyone taken a look at the book yet? Not sure if it's been addressed here but it seems, in it, Donovan's hinting that Jonathan could've had something to do with the murders. I'm not surprised, given the article he published about the relationship Jonathan had with his father before the book itself was published.

Has anyone taken a look at the book yet? Not sure if it's been addressed here but it seems, in it, Donovan's hinting that Jonathan could've had something to do with the murders. I'm not surprised, given the article he published about the relationship Jonathan had with his father before the book itself was published.

i wrote a giant comment and then realized i misread what you wrote.

the book does not have any more info on JS than stuff donovan has written in toronto star (at least IMO)....... i would say all the book has over TStar articles is more background detail and everything is in one place.

book talks about JS, his lawyer and donovan's perception of their relationship with him... but that's in toronto star articles before book too.

if you've read everything on toronto star and maclean's (original content) then i think you know everything in book.

i think any observation one makes about book and investigation is the exact SAME as toronto star and investigation.

as per book. i bought kindle version from the big A.... got it at 12:30 pacific time that night..... read it in one day, but i knew most of the investigation info already and had some knowledge of the background/characters before any of this happened.

now that i think about it, there might be more in the book that tstar about autopsies and how TPD seemed to get it so wrong for so long......... but no new info as to where the investigation is going now.

Last edited:
Do you think there is a ringleader amongst the children in terms of taking control regarding the company, Estate and investigation into their parents deaths? Is it Jonathan and the others follow his orders like sheep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam