IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the pool level there is free self serve ice cream in both vanilla and chocolate.

If that helps.

Also a smokers section is there as well and maybe that’s why the windows are there.
I can only speak for the Voyager, Explorer & Oasis.

On the pool level there is free self serve ice cream in both vanilla and chocolate.

If that helps.

Also a smokers section is there as well and maybe that’s why the windows are there.
Was Grandpa in the smoking section with the baby? That's the only section I'd totally avoid if I had my grand baby with me.

Was Grandpa in the smoking section with the baby? That's the only section I'd totally avoid if I had my grand baby with me.

We have zero idea Katy. We know there are drink/food establishments nearby and that's about all we know. I don't think we know for sure that there is a smoking area on that deck. I know the deck plans have been linked. I'll find them.

Medstudies posted them. I don't see a smoking section marked but they aren't very detailed. It's possible the bar was a smoking area for example. The Squeeze is right there by where Chloe went over...

Here is the link to the Deck 11 page with plans, pictures and a list of the things on that deck.

Freedom of the Seas Deck 11 Deck Plan Tour

Last edited:

If that helps.

Here’s what it says about outdoor smoking sections and it seems ambiguous about where he was, except he was near kids play areas and pools. So probably not.

Cigarette, cigar, e-cigarette and pipe smoking is permitted in designated outdoor areas. To assist in locating areas where smoking is permitted, guests will find visible signage posted within all smoking areas and ashtrays that are provided for use. Outdoor areas near restricted areas, food venues, and kids play areas and pools will not allow smoking.

What is the onboard smoking policy? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Do you think LE have now viewed the footage and that’s why those charges have been layed?

I think LE viewed the footage in July because they offered to let the Weigands see it. Since then, I expect they’ve gathered other information, perhaps even more video or photos as well as witness statements in their investigation...enough to make the charges stick.

@ 1:42 of the vid you can see the man’s arm resting on the railing at his chest height, almost his armpit level!!
IMO grandpa must have lifted Chloe nearly over his head to get her over that railing.

I’m just so sad for this sweet angel.
There’s no freakin’ reason for this!

Last edited:
@ 1:42 of the vid you can see the man’s arm resting on the railing at his chest height, almost his armpit level!!
IMO grandpa must have lifted Chloe nearly over his head to get her over that railing.

EXACTLY.

Here’s what it says about outdoor smoking sections and it seems ambiguous about where he was, except he was near kids play areas and pools. So probably not.

Cigarette, cigar, e-cigarette and pipe smoking is permitted in designated outdoor areas. To assist in locating areas where smoking is permitted, guests will find visible signage posted within all smoking areas and ashtrays that are provided for use. Outdoor areas near restricted areas, food venues, and kids play areas and pools will not allow smoking.

What is the onboard smoking policy? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

“On Freedom, the pool smoking area was port side (deck 11) and starboard at the Sky Bar (deck 12).”
Freedom of the Seas - Smoking Areas

“On Freedom, the pool smoking area was port side (deck 11) and starboard at the Sky Bar (deck 12).”
Freedom of the Seas - Smoking Areas

Thanks. I saw that and I couldn’t find it confirmed on the official site. But if it’s still policy, then SA was in a smoking section port side. I guess if we looked at the videos again we might see signs and ashtrays.

ETA: I just watched the video posted above and I don’t see “smoking” signs or ashtrays on the port side, so I wonder if it changed since that post in 2016.

ETA: More from the official site.
Cigarette, cigar, e-cigarette and pipe smoking is permitted in designated outdoor areas of the starboard side of all ships; with the exception of Oasis-class ships that will allow smoking on the port side of the ships.
BBM
Symphony of the Seas - Royal Caribbean Cruises

Note: This applies to all ships, not just the Symphony

So that must be why the video didn’t show any smoking area signs or ashtrays on the port side where SA was.

Last edited:
Thanks...I was just wondering if maybe SA was a smoker, and may have been distracted by that, while watching the baby.

I wondered because I would go anywhere but the smoking section if I had an 18 month old baby with me. Why sit in that area when you could go to the other side and avoid smoky air for her?

Thanks...I was just wondering if maybe SA was a smoker, and may have been distracted by that, while watching the baby.

I wondered because I would go anywhere but the smoking section if I had an 18 month old baby with me. Why sit in that area when you could go to the other side and avoid smoky air for her?

I don’t think he was in the smoking section.

I’ve been thinking Chloe might been so tired after such a big day and acting up wanting to see the pool or something. I’ve had my children literally wriggle out of their t-shirt that I was holding onto.

Hey I’m not looking for excuses as there aren’t any but if your not used to looking after a tired toddler then be prepared for WWIII.

For sure. That’s why any reasonable person would never dangle a child out of a window. Because children, especially toddlers!!!!!!, are unpredictable. Don’t have the ability to sense danger and the need for precaution like most adults.

And apparently he spent a lot of time with her. So he clearly had some experience with kiddos.

So is the window she fell out of the middle one or top.? Seems like every other middle window is open but not top?

Here’s another screen grab of the railing/gap to window

Attachments

• 2E160598-62D4-4087-AA7A-AA9654C1592E.jpeg
    2E160598-62D4-4087-AA7A-AA9654C1592E.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 55

I’ve been meaning to check out his FB but haven’t had s chance - there may be pictures ? JMO

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, if so I apologize, but this explains the difference between port side and starboard side on ships/boats. When one is standing on a vessel lookin forward toward the bow, port side is left and starboard is right. Port side is not necessarily the side that is adjacent to the dock.

Why do ships use 'port' and 'starboard' instead of 'left' and 'right?'

I have a vague memory of being handed a glass of champagne as we entered the ship for our one and only cruise on Celebrity in 2005. Is that customary...anyone? Or am I having a false memory? :p

Celebrity used to do that, but I don't know if they still do. On our Celebrity cruise in 1996, which happened to be out of San Juan, we thought the champagne welcome came from AAA because we were part of a large travel group with the insurance company. We were feted nightly with complimentary (cheap) champagne and/or cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. We also received daily gifts - fanny packs, flashlights, luggage straps, photo album - with AAA logo. I do recall that everyone seemed to be walking around with a glass of champagne, and we learned that this was a Celebrity perk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708