Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to call someone like Spedding collateral damage but he was not the only person who was hauled over the coals.I’m the first to admit I had an unshakable belief that he took William.

Well that’s ok you’re not a police officer or investigator, in a multimillion dollar department, in a strangely unfolding case

I hate to call someone like Spedding collateral damage but he was not the only person who was hauled over the coals.

There is a far bigger person I’d first consider collateral damage by a blinkered (and perhaps overly aggressive) style of investigation where proper records were seemingly not kept and formal witness statements not collected .....

William Tyrell

Well, Jubes obviously doesn't give Ronald Chapman's sighting a lot of weight.

"Should police have checked that sooner?"
"No"
That is very interesting, considering this sighting seemed to be important enough to be discussed at the Coroner's Inquest. And yet nothing was said (that the public knows of) to suggest the sighting or the reporting of it, were bogus and not worthy of police investigating it. imo.

That is very interesting, considering this sighting seemed to be important enough to be discussed at the Coroner's Inquest.

more than that - it was important enough to follow up with a proper statement and walkthrough, and the reporting officer said she believed the witness

Jebelin’s flat “no” doesn’t mean he doesn’t believe the witness necessarily. It’s just as likely he’s in disbelief it wasn’t followed up properly when the trail was hot, but probably unwilling to discuss given it still took 2 freaking years

I don't think some actions by the Police were correct, but I don't think they did the wrong thing by investigating him as thoroughly as they did.

I think the media is more to blame than the Police. IMO
I think everyone would agree, even Spedding himself understands that police needed to investigate him as a potential suspect, but if police tell one, 'you did it', and 'your name is forever going to be associated with the victim and vice versa', and 'we're going to ruin your life' (or whatever the words were that BS and MS said police used), and such, and then several media are noticed camped out at one's house from sunrise, seemingly with inside knowledge that something unknown to the occupant was on the brink of being newsworthy there at one's address, it seems like the media were given not only LE's blessing, but also encouragement, to very publicly spotlight this one individual, that is going way over and above 'investigating', and seems to suggest more of a motive than simply doing their due diligence in following up on all leads. imo.

Didn't BS say he was taken into that interview when his house was being searched?

His house was searched on 22nd Jan, the interview is dated 20th Jan.

Looks like a few discrepancies. As I’ve posted before about my dear old departed dad’s saying: If you’re going tell lies you need to have a very good memory
I'm not understanding where it is coming from that Spedding's home was searched two days after his business. At the time it was widely reported that both his business premises and his home were searched on same day, and that the home was searched January 20, 2015?

This is just one example of many from MSM:

January 20 - Police search the home and business of washing machine repairman Bill Spedding, who had been due to carry out repairs at the house at the time the three-year-old went missing.

Detectives take items for testing including a mattress, computer and vehicles. They drain his septic tank.

William Tyrrell disappearance: Bill Spedding says his life has been destroyed by the investigation | Daily Mail Online

BBM - no I don't think so. Are you implying something?

ETA: Even if it goes straight to voicemail, you would still get a missed call IMO
It might have something to do with whether the person subscribes to 'call waiting' (or whether that feature is turned on)? I think if one has 'call waiting', the phone will beep during a current phone conversation to alert there is an another incoming call, and that number will then appear on the 'call list'... however, if one doesn't subscribe to that service, it would immediately go to voicemail and the call wouldn't show up on the call list? Also, I have noticed with my own phone there are numerous times when I have no record of a call coming in, but yet I will notice I have a voicemail (of which I don't seem to have any indication of). I have a mainstream cellphone provider, so not sure why this happens sometimes. imo.

more than that - it was important enough to follow up with a proper statement and walkthrough, and the reporting officer said she believed the witness

Jebelin’s flat “no” doesn’t mean he doesn’t believe the witness necessarily. It’s just as likely he’s in disbelief it wasn’t followed up properly when the trail was hot, but probably unwilling to discuss given it still took 2 freaking years
How could GJ be in disbelief that RC's tip wasn't followed up, when he was the one heading the investigation by the time when it came to be known? His flat-out 'no' seems to indicate that he believed this 'tip' to be unworthy of investigating at the time, for one reason or another - it seems BS's lawyer believes it was because LE's focus was tunnelled to one person in particular, while there may be other reasons we don't yet know about (such as perhaps GJ felt it was not believable for some reason), but why wouldn't any such reasons have been brought up at the Inquest if they existed, when this issue was being discussed? Isn't that what the Inquest is for - to determine what happened to William, where any shortcomings in the investigation were with a goal of trying to fix them now, etc?

Mr Chapman said it wasn't until later that night on September 12 that he learned William was missing, and questioned if what he saw that morning was worth reporting.

He heard police would be conducting interviews with locals one by one, and assumed it wouldn't be long until police were knocking on his door to discuss the incident, The Australian reported.

But police were too busy scouring the dense bushland and nearby dams to speak with locals.

After weeks passed and Mr Chapman realised nobody was coming to question him, he told the inquest he sought out a local police officer named Wendy Hudson who he had known since she was a baby.

He found her sister-in-law instead, and asked her to pass on a message that he believed he saw William on the day of his disappearance, but the message didn't make its way to police until 2015.

He was eventually spoken to once in 2015 and again in 2016 before he made an official statement to police in April 2017 rehashing the details of what he believes he saw.

William Tyrrell inquest: Man claims to have spotted boy wearing Spiderman suit on day he vanished | Daily Mail Online

It was clearly stated in the 4 Corners report the calls records were not deleted from him phone.

Experts were consulted. I don't think we achieve anything ourselves by constantly revisiting this other than doubling down on a distracting false lead that could of been resolved very early on by the people getting paid to solve this to actually consult experts. It's probably too late now anyway.

How could GJ be in disbelief that RC's tip wasn't followed up, when he was the one heading the investigation by the time when it came to be known? His flat-out 'no' seems to indicate that he believed this 'tip' to be unworthy of investigating at the time, for one reason or another - it seems BS's lawyer believes it was because LE's focus was tunnelled to one person in particular, while there may be other reasons we don't yet know about (such as perhaps GJ felt it was not believable for some reason)

OK even worse then. We may never hear the story around all this given the Coroner has limited the scope.

In any case the Formal Statement taken two whole years later seems to have some backing and was warranted. The officer/investigator who took the statement found the witness credible. And even then the public gaze was directed elsewhere.

I think everyone would agree, even Spedding himself understands that police needed to investigate him as a potential suspect, but if police tell one, 'you did it', and 'your name is forever going to be associated with the victim and vice versa', and 'we're going to ruin your life' (or whatever the words were that BS and MS said police used), and such, and then several media are noticed camped out at one's house from sunrise, seemingly with inside knowledge that something unknown to the occupant was on the brink of being newsworthy there at one's address, it seems like the media were given not only LE's blessing, but also encouragement, to very publicly spotlight this one individual, that is going way over and above 'investigating', and seems to suggest more of a motive than simply doing their due diligence in following up on all leads. imo.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...heads-to-mid-north-coast-20190731-p52cnj.html
“One of those lines of inquiry relates to people we suspect being involved in a paedophile ring,” former homicide squad commander Detective Superintendent Michael Willing said in 2015.
"It's a ring operating in that area [near Kendall], we believe," he said.
-.-
How should police crack the ring, if all suspects lie / protect each other / allegedly not know each other? Velvet gloves aren't useful, I think. 4 years this suspected ring remained relatively unmolested since - how many more years? MOO
Of course, I don't know, if little W got abducted by someone from a suspected ring or not. Maybe, he had a quite different fate. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
..... but why wouldn't any such reasons have been brought up at the Inquest if they existed, when this issue was being discussed? Isn't that what the Inquest is for - to determine what happened to William, where any shortcomings in the investigation were with a goal of trying to fix them now, etc?

The coroner has the full police brief right in front of her. She will know the reason why Ronald Chapman's sighting was not pursued immediately. And the police did visit him once a 3rd party advised them about his sighting, 9 months later.

Heck, many of us here have questioned the reason why Mr Chapman didn't go to the police himself at all.
As well as wondering why the officer's SIL didn't tell the officer when Mr Chapman told her 6 months later.

I think that Jubes did very well in the Four Corners report. Treated all persons with respect, no matter what he knows.

imo

Last edited:
If anyone has ever looked at Peter O'Brien's website, he has a tab to redirect people to his other website 'Unlawful Arrest' for civil claims against police.

He has a business to think of and promote when he makes all of these allegations against the police. imo

Peter O'Brien: Experienced criminal defence lawyer, Sydney
Civil Claims Police: Unlawful Arrest : Malicious Prosecution: Sydney

Do we know if O'Brien suggested this road of suing police to Spedding or did Spedding ask him to pursue it? I would say likely a bit of both. That is first time I have seen O'Brien as have only seen his name in print. Wasnt what I expected. Relatively young.

"We naturally enough sent the material to an expert who confirmed that because he was on a telephone call at the time the message was received on the handset, it would not have been recorded on the handset," Mr O'Brien said."
Watch a detective accuse repairman Bill Spedding of 'grabbing' William Tyrrell

I don't know about the correctness of this statement.

When I miss a call because I am on another call, I can see that I have missed a call and which number it is from.
I can even hear the other person ringing my phone during my call via a periodic beep during my call (done on purpose by the service providers so you can put one call on hold and attend the other call, if you wish).

Some networks do send the missed call info - if the call has gone to voicemail - some networks don't.
Telstra does.

It will all depend which network Spedding used at the time, so should not be said by O'Brien as a blanket statement. imo

Does a call that goes straight to voicemail without ringing still show up as a missed call? - Quora

Im with Telstra and have an Iphone and have had this happen and I do not get a number appear in my list of calls at all. I just get the Telstra message 101 or whatever it is to go see who called me if I am out of service / range, However! If I am on the phone to someone else I do see another call coming through and who it is, it just doesnt save it to the missed calls. Maybe this is a setting in the telco or the phone etc where you can set to DND etc. Do we know what sort phone he had at the time?

Im with Telstra and have an Iphone and have had this happen and I do not get a number appear in my list of calls at all. I just get the Telstra message 101 or whatever it is to go see who called me if I am out of service / range, However! If I am on the phone to someone else I do see another call coming through and who it is, it just doesnt save it to the missed calls. Maybe this is a setting in the telco or the phone etc where you can set to DND etc. Do we know what sort phone he had at the time?

Telstra now sends SMS messages for missed calls (and I also see the missed call info in my call log).
In 2014 Telstra didn't send the SMS messages for missed calls. Only let you know if you had a voicemail message, and showed the missed call in the call log... with a little missed call icon at the top of the screen.
Things have changed - as they always do with technology.

Spedding mentioned in the Four Corners report that the police had his smartphone, so he used Ole Col's phone to call them.

Last edited:
Do we know if O'Brien suggested this road of suing police to Spedding or did Spedding ask him to pursue it? I would say likely a bit of both. That is first time I have seen O'Brien as have only seen his name in print. Wasnt what I expected. Relatively young.

Yes, I wonder if O'Brien is an ambulance chaser.
Pretty unusual to have a whole separate website - also linked to the primary website - to attract business for unlawful arrest. imo

Last edited:
Yes, that was very remiss of Mr Chapman. To not tell the police about the sighting. imo

“Should police have checked that sooner?"
"No"

The police didn’t know about Chapman’s sighting.

Spedding should be spitting chips that Chapman didn’t tell the police because his life could be a whole lot different now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member