Identified! KS - Lincolnville, WhtFem UP2422, 20-30, Pachuco Cross tattoo, Sep'87 - Michelle Carnall Burton

Guys, this is my and mom's child Hood friend. She and Lynda were two peas in a pod. She never had her closure until one day I looked Lynda's name up and came across this. She wants to thank you for making the connection and giving her that closure... It meant the world to her.

This is not the Jane Doe matched up to Lynda.

DoeNet mistakenly thought that this UID was matched up to Lynda Jane Hart.

In fact, Lynda Hart was matched up to a different UID (UP 8521). She was found in 1988, also in Kansas. But she was found in a vacant lot in Kansas City, not in Lincolnville. This was one of my matches.

I notified DoeNet a long time ago that this UID is still unidentified, but they never reinstated the casefile.

The Jane Doe matched to Lynda is discussed on the following thread.

Match! - MO - Kansas City, WhtFem skeletal UP8521, in vacant lot, Mar'88 *Lynda Hart*

Guys, this is my and mom's child Hood friend. She and Lynda were two peas in a pod. She never had her closure until one day I looked Lynda's name up and came across this. She wants to thank you for making the connection and giving her that closure... It meant the world to her.
I am Lynda's sister given up for adoption in 1968! I sent you a message. I'm posting here so you receive another notification because I really want to get in contact with you!

She's been identified according to her mother but I'm not going to share her name just yet. I entered her in NamUs June 25, 2015. The NamUs rep refused to allow her mother to do DNA. This could have been solved years ago and not at Christmas!

I'm sure everyone can imagine how pissed off I am!!!!

She looks nothing like the "recon"

She's been identified according to her mother but I'm not going to share her name just yet. I entered her in NamUs June 25, 2015. The NamUs rep refused to allow her mother to do DNA. This could have been solved years ago and not at Christmas!

I actually was interested in her for my main case Shotgun Jane Doe from Knoxville Tennessee

I entered her in NamUs June 25, 2015. The NamUs rep refused to allow her mother to do DNA. This could have been solved years ago and not at Christmas!

Aw @Roselvr that is dreadful. I hope in the relief of "knowing" that they make their disappointment in this aspect clear to the public. Bless you for getting the into the system - if you had not, imagine how much longer they may have waited.

IMHO the recon was definitely a bit creepy but I'm always hesitant to say anything because I have ZERO talent in the arts. Wish it had been revised with a more lifelike look a-la Carl's work.

Aw @Roselvr that is dreadful. I hope in the relief of "knowing" that they make their disappointment in this aspect clear to the public. Bless you for getting the into the system - if you had not, imagine how much longer they may have waited.

IMHO the recon was definitely a bit creepy but I'm always hesitant to say anything because I have ZERO talent in the arts. Wish it had been revised with a more lifelike look a-la Carl's work.

The MP was a very good fit for Shothun Jane, same color hair too. The MP had no scars or Mark's that the mother knew about so she wouldn't have been a match to SJD on that alone

As this case is/was worked on by DNA Doe Project am I correctly assuming it is them who identify her and now LE has informed the family? So there should be press conference or some announcement very soon?

Edit to add: I just realized those might be silly questions as probably none of us would have answer to them yet.

Last edited:
Another thought, as Jane Doe had previously broken ribs and this is murder investigation maybe there is good reason why this identification has not been officially announced yet.

From reading on missing person's profile who was just few month newly wed, well, usual suspects comes to mind.

As this case is/was worked on by DNA Doe Project am I correctly assuming it is them who identify her and now LE has informed the family? So there should be press conference or some announcement very soon?

Edit to add: I just realized those might be silly questions as probably none of us would have answer to them yet.

I have asked DNA Doe Project about above and their reply is:

we can't comment on the status of ongoing cases. If and when we've made an identification, the timing of any announcement is up to the agency. There could be an ongoing homicide investigation that could be compromised.

Direct link to the case and discussion - DNA Doe Project

So, as per above I will hold from an announcement on my own FB Page until it is official by LE as of course we want suspect arrested asap and not to slip through the net due to media noise alerting him.

DNA Doe Project just released her name. She is Michelle Evon Carnall-Burton.

Official announcement on DNA Doe Project fb page:

DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Marion County Jane Doe – Lincolnville, Kansas (1987)

81122146_2489739501284820_1314718136737464320_o.jpg

The woman known as Marion County Jane Doe, who was found by a rural road near Lincolnville in 1987, has been positively identified as Michelle Evon Carnall-Burton.

See Kansas Bureau of Investigation's post regarding this case:
https://www.facebook.com/KBIKansas/posts/1168965789975384

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:

KBI at 1-800-KS-CRIME, or submit a tip to https://www.kbi.ks.gov/sar.

We are grateful for all the hard work by our volunteer genealogists, and also want to express our appreciation to, FTDNA, GEDmatch.com, and Kansas Bureau of Investigation for entrusting us with this case. We also thank family members for their assistance and cooperation. Our sincere sympathies go out to them for their loss.

Links to More Information:
http://dnadoeproject.org/case/marion-county-jane-doe-1987/
DNA Doe previous post: https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject/posts/2393136310945140

Direct link to the announcement - DNA Doe Project

Announcement on Kansas police fb page:

80500967_1168962329975730_678194521657311232_o.jpg

Today, with assistance from the DNA Doe Project, we have identified the remains of a previously unidentified homicide victim who was found in 1987 in Marion County, Kansas.

On September 21, 1987, a county road crew discovered human remains off 290th St., a rural road near Lincolnville, Kan. The investigation revealed the female victim had been murdered. Typical identification methods were unsuccessful since the remains were badly decomposed. At the time of the discovery, the Kansas State University Anthropology Department examined the remains and created a physical profile of the victim. It was determined she was a white female between 20-35 years, who had likely died two to three months prior to her discovery.

In February 2019, KBI agents and forensic scientists, with assistance from the DNA Doe Project, worked to identify the woman using DNA testing and forensic genetic genealogy searching. During this search, a distant cousin was identified who had submitted DNA to an online service. A family tree was constructed and it was determined that the victim was closely related to the Carnall family from Cherryvale, Kan.

KBI agents were then able to connect with Leonard (Bud) and Donna Carnall of Corpus Christi, Texas, who had a missing daughter, Michelle. In October, the Carnalls voluntarily submitted DNA so that we could test it against the woman’s DNA. That testing recently confirmed that the remains found in Marion County back in 1987 belonged to their missing daughter.

We have identified the victim as Michelle E. Carnall-Burton. At the time she was killed, Carnall-Burton was 22-years-old and lived in Wichita. In 1986, she had left her home in Cherryvale, and lost touch with her family.

Carnall-Burton was a white female, 5 ft. 7 in. tall, and weighed approximately 140 lbs. She had brown hair and hazel eyes. She had a small cross tattooed on her lower left forearm.

The KBI is pursuing leads in this case and asks anyone with knowledge of Carnall-Burton’s whereabouts in June or July of 1987 to contact the KBI at 1-800-KS-CRIME, or submit a tip to https://www.kbi.ks.gov/sar.

Kansas Bureau of Investigation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back